Taking my 3 year old cousin to a Disney park for the 1st time ever..

Okay so this is really important.

For the first time in our family's history, we are going to take the whole family (Me, my mom, my aunt, my 2nd aunt, my uncle and my cousin Jack) to our next Disney vacation in 2011, the primary concern we have is which park to take him to, either Disneyland or Disneyworld.

Here's the dilemna, Jack's favorite movie of all time is Cars, unfortunately CarsLand doesn't open till 2012, however they are also doing the major Fantasyland Expansion at WDW in 2012 and also opening up the resort with the Cars themed rooms.

Which park do you think we should go to in 2011? Disneyland or Disneyworld? (The park we don't go to, we'll go to in 2012)

• Frozen lemonade addict!

Re: Taking my 3 year old cousin to a Disney park for the 1st time ever..

I would say go to Disneyland first. Its going to be cheaper, you dont need as much time to do everything at DLR and DCA, you may have time left over on your vacation to go see other sights around the area like Hollywood and what not. Carsland not being open are inconsequential since there is nothing you can do about that.

Regardless of which coast your go to, remember to have a rough outline of what rides your family wants to go on and what shows you want to see. Bring a camera to capture everything and dont forget a good pair of walking shoes. Have fun!

Oh and one more thing, make sure when its all over you post up a trip report on MiceChat!
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mugen80/
    http://jjhernandez.smugmug.com

• Banned User

Where i want to live: Mickeys house|Where i do live:FAR AWAY FROM THERE D:

quite a crew. if he LOVES cars do DL in 2012, carsland should be open by then! And make sure you book and plan as far ahead as possible with a group that size, things can get sticky without planning ahead!

• Seasick

Attraction-wise, delaying Disneyland for 2012 is a no-brainer. Carsland should outshine the FL expansion at the MK, and the Little Mermaid attraction will be open at DCA as well.

Of course, the tastes of a three year-old being fickle as they are, there's no guarantee he'll care about Cars anymore in 2011, let alone 2012

Another thing to think about is the size and scope of WDW. Your cousin will be in a stroller I assume, but WDW can be more tiring than DL, due to both the size and warm Orlando weather. Would he be better suited to that in 2012?
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Grumpy is as Grumpy Does!

As a father of two grown kids and talking from alot of experience, at 3 yrs old, I would take him to the DLR. At 3 yrs old, he is going to get tired, bored, restless, etc... I have been to DLR and WDW (Also Paris) and there is going to be plenty for a 3 year old at DLR... WDW with 4 parks, you are not going to be able to enjoy each of the parks for the amount of time you want with a 3 year old in tow. Wait another 2 years when he is 5... yer good to go!!!!! Our next door neighbors (we live like 5 mins from the park) have a 3 year old and they have chosen not to renew their passes as she gets tired and bored so quick. I definitely would do DLR... save the bigger experience when the kids are older!

DLR. No doubt he'll love it anyway. First off Pixar Play Parade (In DCA) features a couple characters from cars that are automated and move their eyes and stuff but when not parading you can find them over by Soarin' revving their engines and moving their eyes. Second, DLR is much cheaper due to it's compact property (Not spread out like FL) and (depending where you are) you won't have to fly. So a kid will be able to get through DLR much better than WDW if your not flying. Also keep in mind, don't walk around too much at a time and buy drinks, or your feet will want to get to bed

~ MonoGuy ~
    Pilot of Monorail Blue

I would say DLR for a few reasons:

1. I agree with BC_DisneyGeek that what your cousin likes now may not be the same as what they will like a few years from now; so I wouldn't use the opening of CarsLand to be the primary driver (no pun intended) in your decision-making process.

2. DLR is much more doable with young kids (both in the amount of ground you need to cover and the number of parks/attractions).

3. It looks to me from your bio info under your avatar that you're from OR? It seems like a much more manageable plane trip for a four year old to go to CA. A year will make a huge difference for the long ride to WDW.

4. Finally, if you stay on property at DLR, its much closer/easier to head back to the hotel for a power nap/dip in the pool mid-day. WDW, you need to deal with the massive bus transport system which, if you stay at the more modestly priced resorts, can take as long as an hour to get back to your hotel from MK.

Either way, you guys will have a blast. Plus, if there are things you miss at either Resort you choose in 2011, you have a reason to return someday!

Hope you'll update us as to what your family decides!

• Blew By You

I'd go to Walt Disney World in 2011, the Disneyland in 2012. One of the big reasons in my opinion is the age of the youngest. He could still be pushed in a stroller and Walt Disney World is huge. Take advantage of that small detail. In 2012, he'll be out of the stroller and Disneyland does not cover a huge area.