Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How many New Tomorrowlands have there been?

I guess my question is in the title! With people's desire for a New New New Tomorrowland, I was wondering when the other New Tomorrowlands were and how they changed the land; what was added, what was taken away and how the theme changed. I know the first New Tomorrowland was in 1967, creating the 'World on the Move' idea, but I'm sure other people will know a lot more about it and the others.

Does anyone know if this information is online anywhere, or could someone run me through it? Thanks!

Oh, also - can anyone enlighten me on what other land makeovers there have been (in Magic Kingdom style parks worldwide)? I know about the 1983 New Fantasyland and the current Fantasyland Expansion. What about others? When did WDW's Tomorrowland gain the retro theme?

Beastly Kingdom
    ? Sci-fi City? Pirateland? Port Disney? Discovery Bay?
    My website: The Neverland Files - all about Disney projects that never got built!
    My blog: Disneyology - Imagineering news and commentary!

• The Study of Wumbo

Re: How many New Tomorrowlands have there been?

Good question!

Walt Disney's World Tomorrowland was very general and bland, based more on Disneyland's 1955 Tomorrowland, until 1994 when it was updated. The current theme is of an environment of a space metropolis. This update included attractions like Alien Encounter and The Timekeeper, which are now both gone. Since, the storyline has started to disappear...

As for Disneyland:

1955 - Original (Incomplete?)
    1959 - Major expansion, including Matterhorn, Submarines, and Monorail
    1967 - "World on the Move"
    1998 - Botched Discoveryland clone...
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Senior Minion

For Disneyland's Tomorrowlands, having been to all of them my perception is there were three:

- The original '55 Tomorrowland, which had major new attractions added in '59 (but which I still thought of as the Tomorrowland).

- Tomorrowland '67, World on the Move, the slam-dunk best.

- The pile of that the 's pulled out of their in 1998.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• The Study of Wumbo

And there's really not a clear definition of a re-vamp. One might consider the addition of the Indiana Jones Adventure a "New Adventureland." Or the change over from Bear Country to Critter Country.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Disneyland is your land.

Only thing I remember about visiting Tomorrowland 1998 (I was a kid) was Star Tours (still pretty cool at that time) and the original submarine voyage. I vividly recall one of the rubber (?) fish coming floating near the docks. The cast member reached down and grabbed it then handed it to the kid standing right in front of us...

Sometimes I like taking a look at Space Mountain 98 to see how far the park's come back from the dark days of those years...
    Class of 2005...

• Minion

The above answers are accurate and as far as I know, only two (the 1967 and 1998 ones) were treated as actual "new Tomorrowlands" by the park. Walt initially wanted to delay the opening of Tomorrowland until after the park's general opening in 1955, but then decided that would be cheating his guests, since he had been talking about Tomorrowland so much on TV, to have it not available at the park's opening would have been kind of a deception. So they went with what they had, which if you look at the Tomorrowland of 1955 wasn't all that impressive. Of course the 1959 addition of Monorail, submarines and Matterhorn greatly enhanced it (though after a few years the Matterhorn started being listed under Fantasyland in the park's guidebooks). Other attractions like Flying Saucers and the House of the Future came and went, and the big splash was the 1967 "New Tomorrowland" with 6 new attractions opening. Then it was more piecemeal changes over the years, with Space Mountain opening in 1977 and various other changes, then the makeover in 1998 which has been widely criticized, but was variously referred to as a re-opening, refurbishment, redo, or redesign, I'm not sure if they specifically used the words "New Tomorrowland" at that time but they did have an opening day ceremony. So really only twice has it been done on a land-wide basis, and all the other changes over the years have been piecemeal.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by wumbology View Post
    This update included attractions like Alien Encounter and The Timekeeper, which are now both gone.
    We never had these (def never had Alien Encounter)
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Mrs. J. Depp

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    We never had these (def never had Alien Encounter)
    He was referring to Walt Disney World's Tomorrowland.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Disneyland History Lover

I really hope they go back to the sparkling whites and brightness of the 1967 Tomorrowland. Looking at pictures of it even today, it still looks more futuristic than how it is now.

Thanks everyone, this is really interesting. I've also been wondering about the New Fantasyland in 1983. Most people presume that Florida's current expansion is to counter Harry Potter, but was the reason that Disneyland's Fantasyland was overhauled back then? It seems Disney needs a big reason to do such drastic work. Was it just because Fantasyland looked bad? Was Disneyland attendance lagging?

Oh, and also (hah, so many questions), when did Tomorrowland reboot from the Discoveryland attempt? I know a lot of it is still there, but was the return to white for Space Mountain and the replacement of the murals done at a similar time?

Beastly Kingdom
    My website: The Neverland Files - all about Disney projects that never got built!

• Disneyland History Lover

Quote Originally Posted by MouseketeerCole View Post
    Thanks everyone, this is really interesting. I've also been wondering about the New Fantasyland in 1983. Most people presume that Florida's current expansion is to counter Harry Potter, but was the reason that Disneyland's Fantasyland was overhauled back then? It seems Disney needs a big reason to do such drastic work. Was it just because Fantasyland looked bad? Was Disneyland attendance lagging?

Oh, and also (hah, so many questions), when did Tomorrowland reboot from the Discoveryland attempt? I know a lot of it is still there, but was the return to white for Space Mountain and the replacement of the murals done at a similar time?
    My guess is that Disney just thought Fantasyland in DL was becoming outdated and needed was due for its first proper refurbishment. It really hadn't changed that much since the park opened. The dark rides sported the tournament look that the building near Dumbo still has. Disney World's Fantasyland still looks like that. It'll be curious to see if the refurbishment over there will simply be an expansion or an all-out refurb in which they make those buildings look more like DL's.

Space Mountain was repainted to it's classic white in 2003. The interesting thing is that it's hard to turn up pictures of the 1998 look online. The mural on the Buzz Lightyear building was switched in 2005 with the present one featuring Space Mountains in space. I personally like the 1998 mural better. The Astro Orbitor lost it's 1998 look last year when it got repainted. Unfortunately a lot is still left of the 1998 makeover like the dead Rocket Rods (former PeopleMover) track, the neon lights on Star Tours and Buzz, the dreaded Observitron, and the hideous paint schemes of Innoventions, Autopia, and the Tomorrowland train station.

• The Study of Wumbo

Quote Originally Posted by MouseketeerCole View Post
    You have no idea...

There have been countless analyzations as to what Disney's strategy is with the Fantasyland Forest expansion for WDW. I think the most general way to put it is that Disney wants the girls to get over to the Magic Kingdom and meet the ever-popular princesses. It looks like they're surrendering the young boys demographic to Potter.

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Victoria View Post
    The interesting thing is that it's hard to turn up pictures of the 1998 look online.
    I KNOW! I don't get it. I've only ever seen, like, three pictures of the 1998-2003 green/bronze Space Mountain paint scheme.

The mural on the Buzz Lightyear building was switched in 2005 with the present one featuring Space Mountains in space. I personally like the 1998 mural better.
    Agreed. The current one looks totally Six Flags.

Unfortunately a lot is still left of the 1998 makeover like the dead Rocket Rods (former PeopleMover) track, the neon lights on Star Tours and Buzz, the dreaded Observitron, and the hideous paint schemes of Innoventions, Autopia, and the Tomorrowland train station.
    Tomorrowland is caught in limbo.

Shame on Disney for not being consistent on revamps. Especially in WDW: Since the day it re-opened, Tomorrowland has been losing the awesome 1994 storyline, little by little. I wish the powers that be would pay a little more attention.
    -Hale (wumbology)

• Minion

What's odd to me is that the 1983 makeover of Fantasyland resulted in a net loss of attractions (depending on what you consider an attraction). The original Fantasyland Theater, in place since 1956, was closed in December 1981. Skull Rock and Pirate's Cove, which some might consider landscaping but as a kid I considered an attraction, closed in January 1982, never to appear again in Disneyland. Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship Restaurant (sometimes known as Cap'n Hook's Pirate Ship Restaurant) was also torn down, never to return. Some might consider that just a restaurant but I thought of it as an attraction as well.
    That's a loss of 3 attractions, and the only new attraction built during the remodel period was Pinocchio's Daring Journey. So it depends on your definition of an attraction, but in my view it was a net loss of 2 attractions. Not really much of a "new Fantasyland" in my opinion. It was mainly cosmetic as far as I can see.
    The Mad Tea Party was moved from the center of Fantasyland to near Alice. The Dumbo ride was moved a little and the carrousel was also moved a little. In a thread a few months back we had aerial photos comparing views of Fantasyland before and after the remodel.
    An interesting bit of trivia is that the drawbridge in front of the castle has been raised only twice: on the opening day of Disneyland in 1955 and then again on the opening day of the "new" Fantasyland in 1983.

So was it really just because it was looking bad? I've seen pictures and certainly it wasn't good, but it seems Disney as a company needs a financial reason rather than just an aesthetic one.

I suppose the addition would bring an influx of guests which would justify it, but then why not do the same with other lands for the same effects (maybe because the change wouldn't be as drastic ... thinking out loud, haha). Or maybe the aging look was bad show? But then I'm sure there would have been cheaper alternatives to make it look good again not as drastic as the complete overhaul.

I guess it must be a combination of reasons...

Beastly Kingdom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast