Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Minion

Re: Old Photos and Crowds

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn, Renaissance Woman View Post
    but might I also point out that twenty years ago, the freeways were a lot less crowded.
    Huh? The freeways were just as crowded if not even moreso twenty years ago. Fewer alternative routes and backroads way back then, so everyone piled onto the highways. Slightly better these days - at least that's how it is here in Baltimore.

• Blew By You

Please no price increases just for crowd thinning. Prices are going to rise anyways. No need to kill off some people just to enjoy a less crowded Disneyland. Selfishly, this would include me and my family. We can afford the APs for three but there will be a point in time when we will have to cut the passes off our budget. Corperate decisions about stopping crowd flow to show fireworks and parades should be reexamined. Maybe that's a better way to decrease crowds.

• Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Ghost View Post
    Huh? The freeways were just as crowded if not even moreso twenty years ago. Fewer alternative routes and backroads way back then, so everyone piled onto the highways. Slightly better these days - at least that's how it is here in Baltimore.
    As a lifelong Angelino, I disagree. Remeber, there fewer lanes. We are now crowded with, as you say, more freeways. So, there were far fewer cars, less, numerically, crowds.

• Minion

Ugh, glad I don't live in Los Angeles. Sounds like they're going backwards in terms of progress with their traffic issues. Here (in Baltimore), it's gotten better over the past twenty years - not by a lot, but measurably, noticeably better.

• Seeker of Fun

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    Please no price increases just for crowd thinning. Prices are going to rise anyways. No need to kill off some people just to enjoy a less crowded Disneyland. Selfishly, this would include me and my family. We can afford the APs for three but there will be a point in time when we will have to cut the passes off our budget. Corperate decisions about stopping crowd flow to show fireworks and parades should be reexamined. Maybe that's a better way to decrease crowds.
    I can sympathize with this argument, I really can! It's only been in the last couple years that we have had the funds to do ANY type of vacation, and my wife and I have jobs that are considered to be "good paying". We really watch our spending, don't really have any debt except a house, and it's still hard. Our solution: we started working more. That's one of the arguments for paying more to thin out the crowds. We work overtime, do odd jobs, yard sales..whatever to make it work. I truly want everyone to enjoy the parks, but when EVERYONE comes at the same time, and Disney de-values the ticket product so much, people are going to get tired of an artificially inflated park. It's just difficult when you can only go once a year or every few years, and find a park so stuffed that you can hardly move.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Blew By You

Quote Originally Posted by 4Apples4Disney View Post
    I can sympathize with this argument, I really can! It's only been in the last couple years that we have had the funds to do ANY type of vacation, and my wife and I have jobs that are considered to be "good paying". We really watch our spending, don't really have any debt except a house, and it's still hard. Our solution: we started working more. That's one of the arguments for paying more to thin out the crowds. We work overtime, do odd jobs, yard sales..whatever to make it work. I truly want everyone to enjoy the parks, but when EVERYONE comes at the same time, and Disney de-values the ticket product so much, people are going to get tired of an artificially inflated park. It's just difficult when you can only go once a year or every few years, and find a park so stuffed that you can hardly move.
    That's where I have some advantage. Our drive to Disneyland is just over an hour so we can pick a good time for visiting the Parks, not worrying about the crowds. So we can go and just take in a few attractions knowing that we can return for more later. I still believe that corporate decisions should be made with crowd reduction methods in mind. Expanding Disneyland boundries will help. Making entertainment less obstructive too could help. I'm sure there are more ways to decrease crowded decisions. Rate increases too is effective. There will be increases in passport prices and little by little there will be dwindling of people.

• Cowboy, Bear, Pirate, etc

I think the last time Al reported on the topic there were over 1 million annual passholders. They're the ones that are making the parks so crowded because they use the parks differently. Maybe the go on one or two rides, or no rides at all. "Eh, the line's too long. I'll just hang out and take up space on a bench, or take up space in a restaurant, or take up space in a shop."

Disney needs to get back into the tourist business. Hopefully over the next twenty years, with more Disney hotels, the West-coast cruise ships, and a third theme park, they'll go with more of a tourist model.

When I worked at the Park in the 80s, you had tons of tourists from Europe and Asia. Now I go and see nothing but locals. That takes a lot of the fun and novelty out of the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by HuckSawyer View Post
    I think the last time Al reported on the topic there were over 1 million annual passholders. They're the ones that are making the parks so crowded because they use the parks differently. Maybe the go on one or two rides, or no rides at all. "Eh, the line's too long. I'll just hang out and take up space on a bench, or take up space in a restaurant, or take up space in a shop."

Disney needs to get back into the tourist business. Hopefully over the next twenty years, with more Disney hotels, the West-coast cruise ships, and a third theme park, they'll go with more of a tourist model.

When I worked at the Park in the 80s, you had tons of tourists from Europe and Asia. Now I go and see nothing but locals. That takes a lot of the fun and novelty out of the experience.
    I'm not too familiar with DL in general, but wouldn't a third park require a MASSIVE real estate purchase, and not the undeveloped swampland like that of WDW. I know that the reason Walt purchased vast amounts of land for WDW is because he didn't want neon highways up the butt of his World. Would DL expansion be feasible at all?

• Seeker of Fun

I'm sure expansion is possible, however, the main issue is the crushing amount of people in the parks now. Whether there's a 3rd park or not, something still has to be done about how AP's are sold, along with regular tickets, and park hoppers.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

Quote Originally Posted by HuckSawyer View Post
    This has alot more to do with Europe and Asia's economy. Have you seen the value of the Euro? It's getting time for us Americans to visit Europe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12