Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Seeker of Fun

Old Photos and Crowds

I've commented on this before, but thought I'd bring it up for discussion in a thread. Every once in a while, someone will post older photos from Disneyland. It's a great treat to see how things looked in the distant past, and not too distant past. While looking at some of these older pictures, including mine from around 15 years ago, I noticed something. It seems that Disneyland is substantially LESS crowded. Look for yourself. I know that the park still brought in numbers, and that there were crowded times. However, overall, the park seemed less crowded!

I hope Disney is aware of the real crowding problem, and not just focused on $$$. With higher crowds comes a less happy guest. Longer wait times for attractions, shows, food, purchases. On my most recent visit, I nearly felt like going home because of the crushing mob. It robs the guest of the "magic" that is Disney. I'm sure there are people aware of the problem, but my question is, what's being done about it? I think it's quite possible that more people will start deciding to head to the beach or some other vacation spot to relax, instead of heading to Disneyland. I'll say it again too, I'd gladly pay a lot more for my AP for a thinned out Disneyland.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Banned User

Where i want to live: Mickeys house|Where i do live:FAR AWAY FROM THERE D:

Re: Old Photos and Crowds

this IS a real problem, we need another pleage.. to many people in the world. everywhere is more crowded. =\

UMM, well i would pay more for a less crowded park to.

• Disney Fan & Musician

After seeing Tokyo's crowds, I do not complain.
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• Addicted to Disney

What they NEED is more rides so that there is a bigger capacity for the park. That way, since more people will be waiting for or on rides, it would seem less busy.

• Not a Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyManiac View Post
    What they NEED is more rides so that there is a bigger capacity for the park. That way, since more people will be waiting for or on rides, it would seem less busy.
    More rides does not equal bigger capacity. Those rides will need to go somewhere and will eat up space as to where people can go, so in essence, adding more rides will reduce capacity.

With WOC now open and the opening of new lands and rides in the second gate, there is hope that the crowds will be diffused between the two parks. But DL will still most likely be crowded.

I realize that this isn't popular and most people will probably write it off because they can't see past their own self interest but the quickest way to reduce the perceived crowds in the park is to get rid of fast pass. There are alot of queues that go completely wasted and many people wait for a fast pass in the middle of a walkway, causing the crowding we see. The best part about it is that, if they removed fast pass, the wait times for rides would be shorter and loading times would be quicker. And for those that disagree and think that fast pass is the greatest thing in the world, answer this question: why didn't they put it on TSMM? That ride is the best example of why not to do fast pass. Even if the line there is 45-60 minutes it is constantly moving. I would MUCH rather wait in a line for 60 minutes that moved every 2-3 minutes instead of something like space mountain where it moves every 10-15 minutes.

I'll go stand behind this shield now: flame on.

• Seeker of Fun

Quote Originally Posted by nhesson View Post
    I realize that this isn't popular and most people will probably write it off because they can't see past their own self interest but the quickest way to reduce the perceived crowds in the park is to get rid of fast pass. There are alot of queues that go completely wasted and many people wait for a fast pass in the middle of a walkway, causing the crowding we see. The best part about it is that, if they removed fast pass, the wait times for rides would be shorter and loading times would be quicker. And for those that disagree and think that fast pass is the greatest thing in the world, answer this question: why didn't they put it on TSMM? That ride is the best example of why not to do fast pass. Even if the line there is 45-60 minutes it is constantly moving. I would MUCH rather wait in a line for 60 minutes that moved every 2-3 minutes instead of something like space mountain where it moves every 10-15 minutes.

You make some very good points!

• Minion

I'd be fine with going back to individual ride tickets. That was how it was when I was a kid, and it was not a problem. Lines were short. They should have a general admission charge and then tickets for the rides. And the annual passes should be one for just admission and one that includes rides. I'm sure there are 1,000 reasons why this is "a bad idea" and "would never work," but it did work for the first 27 years.

• Spyder-man

Quote Originally Posted by nhesson View Post
    I agree. One of the best things about Indiana Jone was taking the long slow walk thru the queu.

• Hillbilly Philosopher

I'd gladly pay a lot more for my AP for a thinned out Disneyland.
    This is just too easy...

Would you be willing to pay FULL ADMISSION price EACH time you visited the park?

Problem solved!

~JBodine

• Hooterville, USA

Disneyland is still under priced for what you get. Factor in the AP payment plan and it's like Disney is giving away the store.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Yes yes YEEEEESSSS!

I often go to Disneyland and think:

1. I really wish they'd again dramatically raises prices so we could thin out the heard. Maybe $800 for AP's and $200 for regular tix - double both!
    2. I really wish I wasn't able to go on a few select rides, which I choose, much faster throughout the day. Instead I'd rather spend a lot more time in queues.

(or wait - actually the lines are almost always fairly short, the crowds almost always tolerable at worst, and $14 for parking is just fine - thank you)

• Seeker of Fun

Quote Originally Posted by JBodine View Post
    This is just too easy...

Would you be willing to pay FULL ADMISSION price EACH time you visited the park?

Problem solved!

~JBodine
    I think I'd do anything for a thinned out park, considering how terribly crowded it's been my last two visits.

• Old Timer

While I agree that cheep APs are a big problem, but might I also point out that twenty years ago, the freeways were a lot less crowded. There's just plain more people.
    Of course, as an AP since 1990, the flood of less expensive APs has not only made the Parks more crowded, it has also created crowds with a whole different attitude about visiting. Some feel entitled, others are jaded, some mostly unaccompanied teens display the worst traits of their age.
    I also want to point out that the lines for Peter Pan and the Matterhorn have always seemed to take forever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast