Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

World of Color Fastpass and Picnic review (and other stuff too)

So yesterday we decided to head to the park and experience World of Color for ourselves.

Thankfully, on Thursday of last week the Picnic packages went on sale and we bought one for our family of 4. But since we were at the park early yesterday, we decided to "Double-Up" on our Fastpasses to make sure we got one of the good sections, or passes for the 2nd show since the Picnic covered the first show.

Showing up near Soarin' at 9:20am, this is the view I was greeted with.

The line actually moved pretty quickly, but boy was it long. Yes, that's the line going over the bridge past the FP machines.

The line went all the way behind Grizzly

This is where it turned around to go back to the FP machines.

By the time I got my passes, the line extended all the way from Sunshine plaza. The fastpass plan they have in place works VERY well though. The CM's take your passes and put them into the machines for you which solves the problem of guests who don't know how to use the machines holding up the line.

Of course, there are always those who are going to try and get away with something. Some guy in front of me was trying to get 8 passes for people who weren't even in the park. Now anybody who has been to the park (and I'm assuming this guy knows the rules as he was an AP) knows that you can't get a FP for anybody who hasn't used the pass for entrance. Same applies to these so PLEASE don't try and get away with anything, and PLEASE don't yell at the CM's when they can't give you 8 passes for a very popular show that has only been open for 2 days. I thought both CM's who were dealing with this guy handled it VERY well.

Once FP's were done gotten, headed over the Hollywood where the rest of the family had been enjoying some time in the Animation building. As always, I was Jiminy Cricket.

We then headed over to Disneyland, rode Big Thunder, met up with Aashee, rode Mansion, got Splash FP's and then headed to the noon meet. It was a rather small meet and that was just fine.

After the meet, we all decided to have lunch at Plaza Inn, the Cobb Salad was especially tasty yesterday.

Then our group headed over to Jungle Cruise.

My two girls.

DANGER!!!

Got their trunks on

Backside of water

We actually had a pretty decent skipper which was nice.

We then headed for Columbia, but they were having some technical difficulties. Still haven't been on the river since it reopened.

The boys were being patient

We then went to use our Splash FP's, didn't get too wet.

Interesting picture though. Aashee's head with my body. Not a pretty combination.

Then headed to DCA to check out the new swings.

I was very impressed with the changes. The loading is a bit slower now due to the double-swings and the younger kids riding but it opens it up to more people so it's a good thing. The cycle also could have been a little longer IMO. But that's just me.

Then headed to the Cove bar for a drink while the boys rode Screamin'.

After a nice re-charge I headed to the car to get the kids Nintendo DS's for the World of Color wait and the rest of the group headed back to Animation.

I grabbed some Grizzly FP's on the way out which we used upon my return. The boys got a bit wet.

So at this point it was about 6:00 and we decided to head over and pick up our Picnic. They have it set up in the wine bar area where they used to do the Receptions for Food and Wine. For the most part the set-up is really well done, although I think they need to have separate lines for people who have pre-paid and those that are trying to buy packages. And there WERE packages available for purchase yesterday as late as 6:30 (that I saw). Just FYI.

The Mediterranean Picnic

The All American

The European

Overall, we were all VERY impressed with the picnic and the value for what you get. You also can upgrade your meal to wine or beer for a small charge, so that was nice.

I do have 1 suggestion though, the cole-slaw and potato salad on the all american are VERY onion'y and since most "older" kids will probably be getting the chicken (like mine) they probably won't be eating them. Maybe an option to substitute a side for a bag of chips or something could be a good thing?

Other than that though, the food was VERY good and we will definitely be using the Picnic again when we go in 2 weeks.

After our picnic we headed over to the viewing area which opened about 7pm (even though the FP's say 7:30.

This was our view for the show.

They also did a little "interesting" show before the show. It was kind of campy, but it helps to pass the time.

WAY too much energy.

The characters were really cool though.

And then of course, there was the show.

Didn't take any pictures because I wanted to enjoy the show, plus there are SO many pictures out there already.

The show itself ... AMAZING. I'm thinking that some of my expectations were lowered because of some reviews I had heard, but I absolutely LOVED it. I got chills a couple of times and teared up during the UP scene. That music does it to me every time. I can't help it. In our group of 7 there wasn't one of us who wasn't blown away. It was REALLY good and Disney has done a great job on this show. Sure, there are always a couple of minor things, but overall the show is an A+.

After the show the crowd control wasn't TOO bad ... but they could re-open the old Paradise Pier exit (is it even still there?) to alleviate some of the crowd control going through the park. From there it wouldn't be that bad of a walk to the structures. Just sayin'.

The other thing that was MOST impressive was that they didn't stuff everybody into the sections like sardines. There was actually room to breathe and stretch out when you need to. That was VERY nice compared to the way they pack you in for Fantasmic!. Kudos to Disney on making it a very pleasant viewing experience!!!

Checked out Glow Fest on the way out. Maybe it would be better if you were drunk?

Glo-Glo Dancer?

I heard on Saturday there weren't many people here, but last night it was pretty crowded.

Overall, a great day at the parks, a great show and spending time with great friends. Can't get much better than that!!!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: World of Color Fastpass and Picnic review (and other stuff too)

Great report and pics Gregg! I esp. appreciate the pics of the picnic meals that were not Disney PR shots. Nice to see what they REALLY look like. Little skimpy on the salads on the All American, but they look pretty good for the price!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
    • Kerplookee

Great report Jiminy.

Did you have beer or wine with your picnic dinner?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpee View Post
    I only care for Disney bling!

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Duck44 View Post
    Great report Jiminy.

Did you have beer or wine with your picnic dinner?
    What kind of silly question is that. Of course we did. Kristi had a Pinot Noir and I had an Amber Lager. Quite tasty.

Oh, and the other thing you get with the meals are re-usable World of Color bags (like the ones you get at the grocery store) that hold your picnic, etc. Now we have fancy WoC bags for our grocery shopping.

•   
    • Kerplookee

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    What kind of silly question is that. Of course we did. Kristi had a Pinot Noir and I had an Amber Lager. Quite tasty.
    I would love to try a drink at DCA sometime. Hopefully all the booze doesn't affect your Half Marathon time.

Thanks again, great photos!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpee View Post
    I only care for Disney bling!

Thanks for the great report!

Did you use your backup Showpasses? Just wondering, because we have the picnic package also, and I am curious if it is necessary to get backup Showpasses.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by RocknGuitar View Post
    Thanks for the great report!

Did you use your backup Showpasses? Just wondering, because we have the picnic package also, and I am curious if it is necessary to get backup Showpasses.
    We actually ended up using our Fastpasses, not the picnic ones. We got yellow in the morning with the FP's and Blue with the dinner. Both were good sections, but we had some friends sitting in yellow and decided to join them. But next time I won't bother with doubling up. It appeared (to me at least) that the people who got the packages were getting the Blue and Yellow sections which are both good.

The picnic package is for the 1st show, I'm going to suggest that if you want to see a later show as well, to go and get FP's about 11am and maybe that will get you fastpasses for a later show? I'm interested to try that plan out and see if it might work.

We did try and find people to give the extra FP's to, but everybody in that area had passes already. I felt kind of guilty that they went to waste to be honest.

• wanderlust

Great Trip Report! Thanks for showing pictures of the picnic meals, for some reason the PR pics Disney put on their site never load for me.
    All this has happened before, and it will all happen again. But this time it happened in London. It happened on a quiet street in Bloomsbury. That corner house over there is the home of the Darling family. And Peter Pan chose this particular house because there were people here who believed in him.

• Please pull the yellowtab

Thanks for sharing your insight on WOC dining and the crowd control. Your spot in Paradise Park was not bad at all.

Were you a little to the right of the play fountain area?

I do believe in fairies. I do. I do.

Oh, okay. I think we'll try that out. Thanks!

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Excellent recon.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

Great report. I liked your idea about opening the old Paradise Pier entrance back up, but I don't think it'd be possible. I don't think the little trail is big enough to handle the crowds, nor would it be a good idea to let that many people walk through the Grand Californian. Also I'm glad to hear that the guy trying to get multiple FastPasses didn't get his way

• Animation Domination

Nice seeing you again Gregg and wonderful trip report.
    I'm planning on having All American lunch some time soon.
    World of Color was great nothing new but worth to watch again.
    "You are watching FOX"

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Fantastic and helpful trip report.

It was wonderful to see you guys yesterday!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndStar2theRight View Post
    Thanks for sharing your insight on WOC dining and the crowd control. Your spot in Paradise Park was not bad at all.

Were you a little to the right of the play fountain area?
    Yup, that's exactly where we were.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    It was wonderful to see you guys yesterday!
    Ditto.

Just wish we could have seen you for longer.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast