Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• let's talk Disney, okay!

Talking Show concept for Hyperion Theatre

Hellooooooo MiceChat!

I know there has been a lot of talk lately about the Hyperion Theatre; what show should be in there, has Aladdin run its course, WE DON'T WANT NO STINKIN' PIXAR SHOW!, etc, etc, etc.

Well, after watching the Tony's last night, (by the way, what was up with all the sound issues!) I thought of taking the idea behind Come Fly Away (or any Twayla Tharp show) and using Disney music.

For those of you who aren't familiar with her work, Ms. Tharp takes music, usually by a single artist, and puts their songs together to create a very loose story line, and then uses ONLY dance and the songs to tell the story. When done right (Twayla Tharp's Movin' Out (set to Billy Joel music)) it is a truly amazing experience!

I was thinking that maybe they could merge this idea with the Tarzan Rocks show that was performed at Disney's Animal Kingdom! In that show, they had a live rock band onstage that performed the music from the film, and they had dancers, arialist (sp?), rollerbladers all performing in front of the band and singers. It was my favorite show when I last visited WDW.

So what do you think? Is the Hyperion ready for that kind of highly conceptualized show, or do they need to stick with a linear, obvious storyline kind of show? Keep in mind, the Hyperion housed Blast! for a while, and it was very well recieved.

The Few, The Proud, The Fans Fan of Light Magic!

Re: Show concept for Hyperion Theatre

I have actually seen the same show (in the Marriot I believe?) and I really don't think it would be appropriate for a theme park audience. Personally I think that Aladdin really embodied what a theme park show should be with good effects and lots of comedy, because frankly the caliber of dancers just won't be there. Also a dansical is really quite a targeted show that only a certain demographic would like. (I'm 15 but when I went there were primarily senior citizens attending) even using disney music really wouldn't adapt this kind of production for a theme park.

Blast! was a much different kind of show than the dansical and could appeal to an entire family but good luck getting that much valued preteen male audience into a disney dansical.
    Last edited by MistaDee; 06-14-2010 at 09:36 AM.
    Armchair Imagineering!:

The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
    Grizzly Peak Mining District

• Ambassador of good will

I always thought the Blue Man Group would be an awesome addition and now especially with WOC.

• Banned User

Where i want to live: Mickeys house|Where i do live:FAR AWAY FROM THERE D:

Quote Originally Posted by who-me View Post
    I always thought the Blue Man Group would be an awesome addition and now especially with WOC.

Doesn't universal have them copyrighted?

• Ambassador of good will

Quote Originally Posted by Fish_in_water View Post
    Doesn't universal have them copyrighted?
    I have no idea. I just think it would be a great fit IMO

• Banned User

Mary Poppins.

• wanderlust

That idea would be amazing! I personally love Twyla Tharp's works (super dance student here) I don't know if everyone would be completely ready for it at DLR but I would be excited to see it. Heck, I volunteer myself for the job of choreographer for said project.
    All this has happened before, and it will all happen again. But this time it happened in London. It happened on a quiet street in Bloomsbury. That corner house over there is the home of the Darling family. And Peter Pan chose this particular house because there were people here who believed in him.

• The Study of Wumbo

If you're saying... a show that uses Disney tunes put together into a loose storyline? Maybe not.

I'm pretty sure that that's what the original show in the Hyperion Theater, Disney's Steps in Time, was. And that was not very well received.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin77 View Post
    Mary Poppins.
    I like this.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

my main gripe is that I am sick of just watching a live Disney movie!

Yes, Aladdin is great, but nothing is different. enter story teller on camel, Al meets Jas in marketplace, they get caught stealing, "I AM THE PRINCESS OF AGRABAH", Al is thrown in the dungeon, a disguised Jafar lets him out, they go to the cave of wonders (beautiful set peice, fyi), Al is trapped, Genie helps him out, Al turns to Ali, A whole new world, Genie is funny, Jafar gets the lamp, Al defeats Jafar, Happily Ever After... That's the DVD!

They did the same thing with Snow White!

But, they took Hunchback, and had it performed by a travelling troupe of actors, and put it in the round. Different!

Animazement, Different arrangements of Disney songs intertwined, beautiful harmonies. Different!

An original story, or different interpretation of exsisting Disney story is what that theatre needs. That is what my concept was going for. And it introduces a new kind of theatre to people, something they wouldnt normally go see! I think it would keep people engaged if the music was live, and the band and singers were onstage.

No, Mary Poppins will never be implemented into the parks, because they already have a stage version running all over the world that people pay good money to see.

I want Disney to create something original, with new arrangements of the music!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Well, first of all to the opening post , there ARE some differences in the storyline between the stage show and the movie. And your summary is not entirely accurate, in the stage show, Aladdin does not get throw in the dungeon. That only happens in the movie. Secondly, you fail to mention the song that Alan Menken specifically wrote for Jasmine for the stage version of this show. Third, the costuming for the stage version of Aladdin is definitley of Broadway caliber and more elaborate than the movie, Forth, in the stage version Aladdin does not trick the Genie into getting them out of the cave of wonders, Aladdin HAS TO USE a wish. Fifth, Aladdin is not thrown into the sea by Jafar/palace guards, so Sixth, the Genie doesn't build a bonding moment with Al by helping his escape from the ocean nor is that particular wish used in the stage version. Seven, Abu is completely missing from the stage version. Eight, in the movie Aladdin notices Jafar controlling the Sultan and protects the Sultan by grabbing Jafar's staff and breaking it thus resulting in a critical bonding moment between Aladdin and the Sultan. Nine, Rajah is completely missing from the stage version. Ten, in the stage version, the Genie can continually keep the show fresh with new jokes. Eleven, the stage version has an elephant and camels going throughte aisles of the audience. Twelve, the magic carpet being performed by a real persion is substantially different than the movie version. Thirteen, the magic carpet flys over your head in the stage version, for a dramatic moment in the stage show. So there are significant differences between the stage version and the movie. And I could go on and on and on . . . .

Even the FL theater Snow White was different than the movie. There is no way it could be the same, with a shorter time than the movie. Plus you had the magic mirror effect in the stage show. Snow White had some more up to date phrasing in the stage version ( "time out blue bird" ewwww - i cringed every time I heard a modern phrase uttered by Snow) Point is stage versions are different than the movie version. Not only that, but they are widely popular.

I'm not familiar with Tharp, but with the op's description, is does sound like what "Steps in Times" ended up being, with Eisners bad revision.

Quote Originally Posted by wumbology View Post
    If you're saying... a show that uses Disney tunes put together into a loose storyline? Maybe not.

I'm pretty sure that that's what the original show in the Hyperion Theater, Disney's Steps in Time, was. And that was not very well received.
    In truth, the original show, (before Eisner's lousy added story about two kid brothers) was very good! It looked at Disney Song's through the decades, with a variety of dance styles done by a large group of dancers. I'm certain the show would have had a much better following without the added brother story, and if they would not have removed the best songs in the show.

The second show in the Hyperion was Blast! and was not any type of traditional musical, either, So something non traditional could work. But Blast had an obvious fan base before it even came to the Hyperion. And of course built additional fans, durning its short tenure.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

The reason I think an older movie should be made into a show, like snow white, Mary Poppins or others is since the theme of Hollywood land is changing to the very early America not 2010.

I of course was exaggerating with my summary of Aladdin. Of course there are differences between the two, but that is because the things that are left out aren't integral to the general plot! What INTEGRAL plot point is Rajah? Abu is comic relief and a buddy to Al in the movie, not needed in the stage version. and of course the production elements are beautiful, but that isn't the point of my argument! my main point is that Disney is just recycling stories! with all the brain power that Disney has, why can't Disney Animation or Pixar Animation loan out one of their story people to get an original musical into the Hyperion! That could be a huge marketing/PR push! Think of the media coverage it would get, and again, more promotion for DCA!

I just don't understand why the Fantasyland Theatre continually had new shows opening and closing, why we have had Aladdin there for so long. According to Yesterland, the dance floor at Videopolis was turned into an outdoor theatre in 1990. Since then, that theatre has housed One Man's Dream, Dick Tracy: Diamond Double Cross, Plane Crazy, Beauty and the Beast, Animazement, The Spirit of Pocahantas, Minnie's Christmas Party, Mickey's Detective School, and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. That is TEN shows in about 15 years. The Hyperion has seen 3 in almost 10 years? And Aladdin has been 7 of those years.

I saw the Steps in Time 1.0, before the revision, and it was great! Now, for Ver. 2.0, the storyline blew, but the music that was created for it was SPECTACULAR! Look up (because I am at work and cant access it) Go The Distance from that show. The a capella section is gorgeous! They reworked the music, and came up with something fresh! It was a new song, like hearing it for the first time!

I am simply putting an idea out there. Apparently the Disney fans kept Aladdin in the Hyperion. My question is, WHY? Don't get me wrong, I'd rather see Aladdin housed in there than Toy Story. But why weren't people asking for something different?

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    The reason I think an older movie should be made into a show, like snow white, Mary Poppins or others is since the theme of Hollywood land is changing to the very early America not 2010.
    Then why not create a musical about Walt coming to Hollywood, and seeing all these characters in his head, the stuggles he went thru! Tell the story of how this man created the empire he did from the humble beginnings! Gosh, I have a MILLION images in my head right now about how well that could be pulled off!

A Disney "Sunday in the Park with George", if you will!

Quote Originally Posted by DubiousEndeavors View Post
    my main point is that Disney is just recycling stories! with all the brain power that Disney has, why can't Disney Animation or Pixar Animation loan out one of their story people to get an original musical into the Hyperion! That could be a huge marketing/PR push! Think of the media coverage it would get, and again, more promotion for DCA!
    Um well then your main point is wrong the formula for a theme park is take a intellectual property like a movie then turn it into something tangible to exploit merchandising and hotel opportunities. Come for the brand you know stay for the original attractions you find. Frankly WDI really isn't the greatest at telling stories when they've tried to do that it hasn't been pretty they're more about the experience like pirates or hm. A musical is not the right medium for an original WDI property as a musical relies on storytelling.
    Armchair Imagineering!:

The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
    Grizzly Peak Mining District

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast