Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Theft in Disneyland/DCA

I am wondering how many others have experienced theft at the resort. My worst experience was when we went on December 31, 2002. It was New Years Eve and my youngest daughter was just getting better after having a bad cold. It started off real chilly that day, but then the sun came out and it warmed up. My kids and I left our sweaters and jacket in our stroller while we watched Muppets 3D. When we exited and went to the stroller parking area, our stroller was gone. I couldn't believe it. There was only about 6 strollers when we arrived so I don't understand how someone could mistakenly take it. My girls were devastated because their favorite Disneyland sweaters were in it. They always bring them on our trips and it was more than just sentimental to them. The Lead working at Muppets 3D was so kind and helpful. We searched all over and couldn't find the stroller. We tried to comfort the girls and told them someone probably accidently took it and will realize it isn't theirs and return our things. It was then 11am. By 3pm it started to get chilly again and the girls needed a sweater. I didn't even have my own jacket to give them because it was taken too. I went back to Muppets 3D and the same Lead was there, she informed us that there was no stroller returned and when she called Lost and Found and the Stroller Station, there was nothing. She then did something so special, she gave me a ticket that would allow me and the girls to all get a sweatshirt of our choice. I totally didn't expect this and I was so grateful to her for that. All 3 of us got new sweatshirts and the girls were happy again. Their magic had been restored. We went back to thank the Lead and I took a picture of the girls with her and their new sweatshirts! New Years Eve was saved, with our moods improved, we had a great time after that.

4 days later, on our last day of the trip, I called Lost and Found and they had only my jacket, and my youngest daughters sweatshirt. I was shocked to see that the sweatshirt was filthy, someone had eaten ice cream with it on and gotten it all on the front, it had ketchup stains too. On closer inspection, my jacket too was dirty and they took my pins off the front of it. It's a good thing that it was our last day of the trip because I was angry again. Who would take someones things, use them without regard then dump them off at Lost and Found?

Anyone else ever have something stolen from them while at the parks?

• Disney fans for life!

Sorry to hear about your theft.

As much time as we spend in the Parks, fortunately we have never had anything taken from us or our stroller while in the Parks. We usually leave jackets, sweaters, etc. in the stroller while we are on the rides as well. I am shocked however, when we see folks leave Disney shopping bags full of stuff in the strollers unattended. That is just asking for trouble. Probably worse, is when we see kids formula/milk bottles or other food items left out in the open. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I couldn't give those items to my kids after they have been left unattended. Too many wackos out there (even in DL).

Disney does have a nice policy (don't know how well it is promoted though) about replacing items for the guests that have been lost or taken from them while in the Parks. One of our kids lost some goggles on POTC and when we asked if they were turned in, the CM told us to go back to the store where we got them, show them the receipt and get new ones at no charge. That's a nice touch...

Don't let the few scumbags that are in the Park get you down. They'll get theirs in the end.

BTW- we are from the Bay Area as well.

• no flash photography...

Then only thing we lost was my daughters empty plastic wallet. She was in a stroller and dropped it. She saw the lady pick it up and started crying "lady..lady"...we turned to see where she was looking and the woamn was gone. I could not believe an adult could see a child drop a toy wallet and steal it. It wasn't expensive and we bought her another one, but I still don't understand people sometimes....that being said...we never leave anything unattended at DL or anywhere for that matter...so thats all we've ever lost.. We are so paranoid about that we use to rent the DL stroller, because we didn't care if they stole that, but we didn't want to lose our good stroller. We also took everything off the rented stroller when we would go on the rides or shows.

• Santa Barbara, CA

We had left our car at the valet at the GCH and later when we got home and unladed the car, noticed that my wife's $600 compact camera was missing from the glove compartment. Needless to say, we should have locked the glovebox. We took the camera that morning for our day, and only after we were in the park recalled that we had left it in the car. (I used my digital instead). So..it wasn't like there were too many options as to where it was snatched. We 've had entire spare tires stolen out of our other car by (non Disney) valets as well. Maybe i'll learn to not be such a dufus and self park!!!
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• behind the curtain

It never ceases to amaze me how much valuable stuff people lay out in the open on their strollers: video cameras, bags full of merchandise, wallets. Yes, it's terrible that people steal things, but this is Disneyland, where thousands of people you don't know will be walking by your unguarded stuff and any one of them could easily take something.

Quote Originally Posted by DznyVan
    BTW- we are from the Bay Area as well.
    Woo hoo! Hello neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    We had left our car at the valet at the GCH and later when we got home and unladed the car, noticed that my wife's $600 compact camera was missing from the glove compartment.
    OMG. That is so terrible I would have cried. My camera is like my baby. I am sorry to hear that!

• That's Hawt

We had left our car at the valet at the GCH and later when we got home and unladed the car, noticed that my wife's $600 compact camera was missing from the glove compartment. Needless to say, we should have locked the glovebox. We took the camera that morning for our day, and only after we were in the park recalled that we had left it in the car. (I used my digital instead). So..it wasn't like there were too many options as to where it was snatched. We 've had entire spare tires stolen out of our other car by (non Disney) valets as well. Maybe i'll learn to not be such a dufus and self park!!!
    All of these stories are insulting but I think this one is by far the worst! It had to have been done by a CM which I think is rediculous and insulting. It is a disappointment to me that people don't have more pride in their work. I work at a four star resort near Lake Tahoe and I personally know every valet driver and every one of them loves their jobs. Tis very sad
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• A Mimsy Borogrove

We had left our car at the valet at the GCH and later when we got home and unladed the car, noticed that my wife's $600 compact camera was missing from the glove compartment.
    My family has lost a camera, too. It was a long time ago when my little brother was still in a stoller and my dad forgot the camera in stroller as we went into the ride. Went we went back to the stroller area, it was gone. Someone had stolen it.

• Santa Barbara, CA

I think that we all need to grow up when it comes to this. Disney can create an innocent experience, but not the people in it. We were naive to think there is any more honesty inside a theme park.We would blindly leave camcorders under sweaters in strollers, etc. "Get a locker" Ii'd say to myself. But I was either too lazy or had a Pollyanna Martini (Tastes like Apple Pie). We were fortunate that we never lost our stroller or it's contents.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Who's your DaddyB?

My sister-in-law took her niece to Disneyland this past fall. My neice complained that my sister-in-law's wedding ring cut her hand when they were holding hands, so my sister-in-law took it off and put it in her purse... you know where I'm going?

They were sitting at the partners stature and someone stole her purse from right by her side! Obviously she was distraught to have lost all her money and credit cards and such, but her wedding ring, too. Her husband was not very happy either.

Our neighbors recently had their stroller ransacked while they were in Playhouse Disney. The thieves moved the stroller further down the street and then went through everything. They opened every compartment in the diaper bag and took anything of value, even a little ziplock baggy with about $2 in change in it. They also took the digital camera.

There's one more word of caution about theft in the parks, when you are watching a show or parade, keep a close eye on your belongings. Twice I have caught someone rumaging through my things while we were seated for Fantasmic. It's dark and everyone is watching the show, who would ever think that someone nearby had their hand in your bag? Luckily I caught them both in time and I lost nothing. Grrrrr.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    When we stayed at the DLH last summer my wedding ring came up ringing.

At night at a hotel I always take my rings off and put them in a glass or container next to the bed. In fact, I put my earrings and such in it too, that way I don't hit them and knock them to the floor and they get lost or something.

So, we went to get breakfast and I had left my jewelry in my glass(see what happens when I'm rushed )

We came back and the room was clean, the glass with my jewelry in it was gone. We immediately called the front desk & housekeeping, because the maid service couldn't have been gone that long. Well they basically told us that the maid said there's nothing on her and she didn't find it our loss

I took the boys to the pool and kurt had to deal with the front desk manager, security etc etc but no one from housekeeping ever came to help us. Finally, the NEXT DAY the glass and ring magically appeared on a cart and the explanation was that it was OVERLOOKED. Bull****.

We had a night taken off of our stay since we spent sooo much time dealing with the problem and the front desk manager we dealt with was great, but the housekeeping "manager" at use that term loosely was horrible.

We also had someone steal our sweatshirts off of our stroller once, yearssss ago, Kyler(now 10)was 3 or 4 at the time. We went to City Hall to report it and they graciously gave us all classic Disneyland sweatshirts, it was the nicest thing and Kyler had though they were from MIckey! SO CUTE. Luckily the ones that were stolen from us weren't special, but the ones we got sure are. In fact, Shawn wears Kyler's sweatshirt from that trip all the time now.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• I Hug My Tapirs

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherPixie
    There's one more word of caution about theft in the parks, when you are watching a show or parade, keep a close eye on your belongings. Twice I have caught someone rumaging through my things while we were seated for Fantasmic. It's dark and everyone is watching the show, who would ever think that someone nearby had their hand in your bag? Luckily I caught them both in time and I lost nothing. Grrrrr.
    Very good advice! I've been lucky enough that I haven't had anything stolen yet (knock on wood) but I've overheard some horror stories from other guests. I remember one trip a few years back where someone on the shuttle was visiting from Australia... and they had all their paperwork and passports stolen! It's just awful.

Whenever I'm waiting for or watching a show or parade, I always keep my bag in my lap or right in front of me. It's just much easier to keep track of that way.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• no flash photography...

I never have anything of value in my car. When I valet I put my CD's in the trunk and lock it. (the CD's are not valuable, but it would be time consuming to replace or burn them again.) I then give the valet the valet key....which will unlock the doors and start the car, but will not unlock the trunk. Also when the trunk is locked this way the inside trunk release will not work. If temptation is placed in front of people some will take it. I try and make sure I never leave temptaton out for anyone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast