Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• hi!

you've been PLAGUED: tackyland. picnics. cove. celebrity. glow fest. WoC.

whaaa? another trip report?

this trip report is coming in a little bit late, it's from this past Sunday - June 13th. not going to be as many pictures as you might want to see considering i didn't do much but anticipate World of Color... and how bad i am at photographing moving water!

i get to the park at about 12:30pm, didn't rush to the GRR fastpass area since i already had the pre-purchased picnic to excitedly look forward to. our first stop was Tackyland!

GLOW FEST (in the day)

tackyland. where all of your non-family-park-oriented dreams come true!

abu in psychedelic-ness. an attempt to make it family oriented... FAIL.

BLUE SKY CELLAR
    (more like just a few shots of The Little Mermaid plans)

i've never actually been in here before.. it was a lot smaller than i expected from videos and pictures i've seen online. but it was still very nice to look at the plans for the park!

doombuggy...? er... clamshell seat? pearl holder? bobsled? i love lamp.

K.Triton and a mermaid waving to a tiny Ariel and Eric.. it's so real and life-like, i thought i was there!

under the sea! i'm starting to think this is fake. there is no way every rider would look the same and sit exactly the same way.. disney ruined the magic

ride map! unless this was an anatomical drawing of a mermaid's digestive system..

WORLD OF COLOR PICNIC MEAL

my party and i headed right outside of the building to the Sonoma something-or-other to get our WoC fastpasses and picnic meals after waiting in a surprisingly not-too-long line.

after encountering a very rude woman in line who seemed like the world would end or she would go crazy and go on a killing rampage if she didn't get her food within the next 3 seconds.. my party got our picnic meals and we successfully changed our viewing time to the later 10:15 showing to accommodate our friend who had to purchase a walk-up ticket.

as great as this might look in the picture.. this was HORRIBLE. coleslaw and potato salad was way too vinegary and oniony. fried chicken was white meat breast and cold out of a fridge. and the apple pie was... actually not to bad. general consensus of all the meals?: negative. not all negative, but generally negative. i think i'd rather get to the parks earlier and get a fastpass from GRR than do the picnic again.. BUT we get a nice tote bag!

the nice complimentary tote bag! ok fine, this picture was taken at home after all the park shenanigans.. but whatever. deal!

COVE BAR @ ARIEL'S GROTTO

since our picnic meals failed so bad at everything in life and the afterlife, we headed to the Cove Bar in Ariel's Grotto for something that was actually edible: the awesome Lobster Nachos! ......and drinks of course!

lobsters nachos. and my grey goose martini, no olive and no vermouth. yes, it's just vodka. yum

and.. what do five grown adults do when at a bar consuming alcohol? ASK FOR PAPER CROWNS AND STICKERS OF COURSE!!!

not to mention... CRAYONS AND ACTIVITY SHEETS!! my friend is coloring Belle blue to make her an Avatar.. yes. we're 5.

i dont think the glass slipper fit my friend's foot........

add my next drink... Ultimate Long Island Iced Tea. very sweet, but actually strong in disguise.

can't do a trip to a bar without a final round of Irish Carbombs all around!

our view from the bar area.

the bill that almost made me and my wallet cry tears of pain and sadness..

CELEBRITY!

ok, he might not be that big a celebrity to the rest of the world.. but to all of us MCers, he is! spotted a certain someone casually walking around the pier and no one seemed to recognize him..

me and mr. kalogridis.

LAKER GAME @ ESPNZONE

we headed over to DTD to watch the game at ESPNZone. there was quite the crowd sitting outside watching the external display:

the crowd in front of the zone.. mostly lakers fans of course. give or take a couple celtics fans who were just brave to support their team.. or just wanted to be annoying. it really just came down to how they carried themselves.

LOST Fans: i had me some Dharma Initiative water from the Swan Station

after watching the Lakers lose horrible, we headed back to DCA for more festivities.. even though i was there the whole day, i just now noticed the CA Letters were promoting WoC!

but wait!

STILL TO COME:
    • Glow Fest's Tackyland Shenanigans at Night!
    • World of Color!!
    Last edited by plagued; 08-06-2010 at 01:20 PM.
    -plagued

• Banned User

Re: you've been PLAGUED: tackyland. picnics. cove. celebrity. glow fest. WoC.

A great beginning to another awesome trip report.

Quote Originally Posted by plagued View Post

ride map! unless this was an anatomical drawing of a mermaid's digestive system..
    I think you're on to something here: Ariel's Alimentary Adventure. It could be narrated by Mr Hanky.

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

... Seriously, how did you get dharma water?!!!?!!

• in the Golden Afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by dth316 View Post
    ... Seriously, how did you get dharma water?!!!?!!

yeah?!

can't wait to see the rest! I ordered the kids pb&j picnic meal because I've been hearing everyone saying the food isnt the greatest. but thats for next week..

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I love it. Coloring, and stickers. What better place than Disneyland, or in this case DCA. Who says we have to act our ages?
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

The food isn't that great. I got to have 2 meals. The All American and the Classic Lunchbox. The PB&J was good, if you like Smuckers!

• hi!

thank you all!

regarding the coloring and stickers.. haha, we always tend to ask for the paper crowns when we enjoy the bar. and wear them the rest of the day with no shame. we actually get quite a few people asking where they can get one themselves!

re: dharma water. i printed it myself. yep. im a nerd
    -plagued

• hi!

forgot to add, when i met George Kalogridis, we had a nice chat about World of Color.. and having been my first time watching, he gave me some tips on watching the show: that there is really no bad seat in the house because of the broad aspect of the presentation. and to let people rush passed us to get to the very front so we can leisurely find a place in the mid-back area to really be able to take in the show in its wide entirety. we did that, and it worked.

alright, as promised:

Part 2, aka Final Part because like i said, didn't do too many pictures from the rest of the day:

GLOW FEST

approaching Sunshine Plaza, you can already hear the booming club music to your left in Tackyland.

i thought it was odd to have a third party vendor in the park.. but they had some cool light-up tables to eat on.

while some of my party took a bathroom break, i stood next to the table and took pictures as it changed colors in hindsight, i probably looked like a strange person staring at a table...

glow fest performers. i think a rainbow defecated in their closets.

this was projected on the monsters inc building, that whole backlot area was nearly empty compared to the streets of hollywood.

the DJ on the psychedelic bus!

LOST fans!: Dharma Initiative bus???

Glow Fest "Glo-Go" Dancer?

there is something definitely wrong with alcohol + glowing glo-go dancers + bollywood dancers + random colors + miley cyrus' "party in the USA" blasting... but for some reason -- here, it works. everyone was having a blast!

the DJ on the Dharma Initiative bus. the lights were randomly being flashed everywhere, and i was lucky to get a nice lightning effect on this one.

the Hollywood Backlot facade.. looking totally different!

Glow Fest ended up being actually really fun. the crowd of all ages were really getting into the fun party atmosphere. i didn't see anyone causing any problems with the fact that there were two alcohol stations available. still have minor doubts with this 'event,' but for the most part, it is wildly popular and fun for all ages surprisingly!

WORLD OF COLOR

we finally left the fun craziness that was Glow Fest and headed to our designated meeting area for our World of Color fastpasses. after waiting around for a bit in the mass crowd, we finally got ushered into the viewing areas. when given a choice of going to the front row of the show, i opted out since i had my camera and didn't want it getting wet. i picked a nice middle area.. the only downside was a child on someone's shoulder in front of me, but otherwise, it was such a great spot! also, pardon the photos.. these proved more difficult for me to photograph than fireworks! in time..

snapped a picture of paradise pier and its reflection before the show started.

the show begins!! the opening segment!!

blast of colors!

such a wonderful array of colors.. minus that darned kid on the right -_-

sebastian! under the sea!

a colorful choas.

under the sea!

spurt! squirt! splash! .......thats what she said.

loving the use of the laser effects.

questions in a world of blue....

i honestly wasn't expecting that much fire during the hunchback's Hellfire segment. it was quite amazing!

water shapes.

would've been a decent shot.. if it weren't for the kid.

it's mickey!!

last fire blast before the ending epic finale note!

the finale segment!

post-show: i like this combination of colors

post-show: nod to the Lakers?

"World of Color" i was genuinely impressed

END.

i actually took an impromptu trip the next day (yesterday) back to the parks as another friend of mine wanted to watch the show. amazingly, GRR fastpasses were still distributing at 5pm. we got tickets for the Red area for the 11:15pm showing.

once we got there, we opted for the "wet zone" aka front row since i didn't have a camera to risk suffering water damage. having been so late and a chilly night, there was almost no one down there. the cast members were actually begging people who have already stationed in the middle viewing area to come down to the wet zones. i had a dead center and front row view. i would have loved to capture the images for you, but at the end of the show, i was pretty wet. not drenched though, the show was just a constant heavy mist falling on me. i was dry once i walked through the park, rode the tram, and got into my car.

i can't say viewing the show up close or farther away is better than the other. they are totally different experiences. farther away: you get to see the in-audience lightning and water effects as well as take in the beauty of the entire show as it is so broad. up close: much more immersive experience. you're literally right there and can see nitty gritty details. and you get wet.

END. (really this time)
    Thank you all for looking
    -plagued

• Seasick

Some very nice and impressive photos there!
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Minion

Your commentary is a panic.

Hey, does that tote bag remind you of those airsickness bags they have on airplanes?

Is that TLM model a cake?

• show'em yer larboard side

Loved this TR! And, just so you know, you're awesome for wearing those Ariel's Grotto crowns around all day. You and your friends seem like pretty fabulous people. Belle as Avatar = pure genius.

"No fear have ye of evil curses, says you? Properly warned ye be, says I. Who knows when that evil curse will strike the greedy beholders of this bewitched treasure?"

DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES

"Perhaps ye knows too much. Ye've seen the cursed treasure, ye know where it be hidden. Now, proceed at yer own risk. These be the last friendly words ye'll hear. Ye may not survive to pass this way again."

Quote Originally Posted by wulfblat View Post
    A great beginning to another awesome trip report.

I think you're on to something here: Ariel's Alimentary Adventure. It could be narrated by Mr Hanky.
    Or Lemmiwinks the Gerbil King! Anyone? Anyone? SP fans?

Thanks for the trip report! I covered my screen and scrolled, skipping the WoC pics (I'm trying to avoid everything until I see it on the 30th), but everything else was great!!

• Hukuna Matata!

Great trip report man, You hit a grand slam.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Great trip report! Thanks!

I can't get over how awful the dancers' costume look.

It looks like they found a way to crossbreed a box of fluorescent highlighters with teletubbies and doodlebops, and these are their mutant offspring.

• radiantly eccentric

great TR! thanks for sharing.
    without Love in a dream, it will never come true...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast