Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Question Glory Days of Disney Gradually Coming Back?

While I guess this thread would apply for all of the Disney theme parks and not necessarily just specifically Disneyland, hearing all the news of the Hong Kong Disneyland expansion and the big unknown new E-Ticket ride possibly occupying the Frontierland arena in DL has left me wondering...

Could Disney possibly finally think back to what originally made Disney Imagineering what it was? Innovative advances in technology? Thinking outside the box with originally-themed concepts? Introducing new things to a ride system that's already been done and translating them into an immersible story whether it's original or movie-based?

Throughout the past decade, I am sure you have noticed the mundane attractions Disney has added that have already been done several times and replaced aged but original attractions with ones that are marketed to only small kids. For example, Stitch replacing Alien Encounter, Monsters Inc. replacing Timekeeper, the Living Seas being tied-in with a Pixar movie, the submarine ride being brought back but with very similar scenes to the Living Seas with Nemo at Epcot.

Now I know they are still stuck in the gear-everything-only-to-children stage for the most part with the Fantasyland expansion at MK and maybe the Cars Land in DCA, but, like I mentioned earlier, looking at the concepts for the HKDL expansion and the possible E-Ticket going towards Frontierland (I know we don't know if it will be original or not but it most likely will since I don't know of any fairly recent film that could tie-in Frontierland.), I'm wondering if they are gradually realizing what Walt wanted Disneyland or any Disney theme park in general to be: "A place where the parents and the children can play and learn together"? Has Universal, opening their Wizzarding World of Harry Potter at IOA, awaken them from their Pixar and "kids-only" slumber and made them realize that Disney needs to work on things more groundbreaking/innovative and possibly original?

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Re: Glory Days of Disney Gradually Coming Back?

Unlikely. As long as everything is still being run by suits with MBAs and no imagination or creativity, don't expect much change from the current $$$$ based agenda. Iger's recent statements back this up, with a focus on 'branding' and the likelihood of Marvel in the parks.

• Future Disney Imagineer

A new golden Age will come once Iger leaves forever.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Incrediboy View Post
    ...and will leave just as quickly when Staggs replaces him.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Quote Originally Posted by Incrediboy View Post
    The grass isn't always greener...

No.

Yep, nope. Ironically it was Eisner who upheld and returned Disney Imagineering to that stage, then pulled the rug from under it years later.

• Banned User

Where i want to live: Mickeys house|Where i do live:FAR AWAY FROM THERE D:

Will there EVER be another GOOD CEO who will give some funding to the imagineers, to do what THEY want, and not rip out the hearts of attractions for "branding"??!!?

isn't "branding" where when you get OFF the ride, and you exit thru a gift shop!?

Or do i need to go down there and run it myself

• Banned User

See if Igner demanded that everything be based off of branding, then why do they have Mystic Manor? What about Expedition Everest?

There are some rumors inside Disney that lassetter is being groomed for possible CEO. While I'm still out on my judgement on him, one thing is clear, lassetter is different style than the stodgy suits currently there. All the parks and resorts execs were there all opening weekend, including lassetter. All the execs were in their blue suits acting like executives. Lassetter spent more time riding POC and space mountain than with the executives, meanwhile he was wearing a hawaiian Mickey shirt. The last executive That didn't fit the executive look iger wants was dick cook, and we all know what happened to him.

"Look kids, right over there, thats the toilet Eisner's going to flush my park down"

• Banned User

Whatever the case,I really hope the new E-Ticket that's supposed to occupy the abandoned Festival Arena and horse stable "beyond the berm" at DL will be originally-themed.

• The Study of Wumbo

Quote Originally Posted by Freakazoid112 View Post
    See if Igner demanded that everything be based off of branding, then why do they have Mystic Manor? What about Expedition Everest?
    I've heard someone say that Expedition: Everest was TDO giving Imagineers a chance to "flex their muscles" and show them what they've got. And TDO got all those many more people into Animal Kingdom.

Remember, for every Expediton: Everest, there are three Stitch's Great Escapes.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DLandFamily View Post
    There are some rumors inside Disney that lassetter is being groomed for possible CEO.
    In reality, there's no possible way any conceivable Board of Directors is going to let an animator and filmmaker, no matter how brilliant, run the Disney Corporation. Creatives don't run giant entertainment corporations. Not any more.

Quote Originally Posted by SnorkletsMom View Post
    As long as everything is still being run by suits with MBAs and no imagination or creativity, don't expect much change from the current $$$$ based agenda. Iger's recent statements back this up, with a focus on 'branding' and the likelihood of Marvel in the parks.
    Exactly.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Not everything is a hit...need i remind everyone of the phantom boats.....dark day for Disney

"Look kids, right over there, thats the toilet Eisner's going to flush my park down"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    In reality, there's no possible way any conceivable Board of Directors is going to let an animator and filmmaker, no matter how brilliant, run the Disney Corporation. Creatives don't run corporations. Not any more.

Disney's largest shareholder and most influential board member is in fact john's boss....Steve jobs., don't say its not possible

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast