Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: 2011 Star Tours 2: Story Direction Change Feature / Multi-Destinations

I saw wait for the ride to be out before we get all excited 4 all the cool tech stuff they're telling us, since I have heard about how Indy was hyped to never be the same ride twice...too.

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker View Post
    I agree with you on this. Having 3D baffles me since you are viewing the ride from a window and I don't know how it is suppose to come out to you if the screen is suppose to act like a window.

After reading the link above, I'm actually really looking forward to this. Star Tours needs the update badly, and having multiple planets really does help with the re-rideability. I only go on it if it is a short line, but I think the re-rideability has really diminished over the past few years for me.

Disney is taking the right direction in programming different experiences to catch up with today's technology, as well as expanding on the original premise by including the worlds from the prequels.
    My sentiments exactly - Am I the only one who thinks 3D for Star Tours 2.0 makes ZERO sense?!

[QUOTE=Freakazoid112;

I don't know if I'm the only one who thinks this but I sort of feel this 3-D is a bit unnecessary for the experience; I mean, yes it will make it more realistic by three-dimensional depth for the environment, but I just don't see how those glasses can tie-in with the storyline. Since when do you board an airplane and they have you wear special "safety glasses" for the flight? Same scenario would apply for flying in a Star Tours StarSpeeder vehicle.
    [/QUOTE]

Honestly what ride is ever completely believable? In pirates, why this ship is much too small! In indy why do the jeeps hold so many people! Its justnot a fair argument.

And to the indy comment above that was a different ride, this will be a different story.
    Armchair Imagineering!:

The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
    Grizzly Peak Mining District

• Banned User

Here is a video someone else posted in another thread. I would love to see this sort of technology be used in ST 2.0 but it seems unlikely. At least it would eliminate the concern of the glasses "breaking the show."
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvn1e343Clo]YouTube - Real-time 3D TV System[/ame]

• Sock Puppet

I'm loving what I'm hearing about this so far. My only problem is calling it "2.0". It just sounds I don't know, weird.

I'd like to point out that 3D technology is not limited to making objects appear in front of the screen. It can make objects (distant stars) appear far beyond the screen in terms of depth.

Remember, when you're looking out of the windshield of your car, you're seeing a 3D image.

Yes, the glasses will detract from the overall theming experience. But I'm hoping that the proper use of 3D effects will make up for it.

With regard to the interactive element, Disney has done this before. Horizons, over at Epcot Center, had a similar "vote on where to go" situation.

I remain extremely optimistic about the upgrade's chances to offer an exciting and dazzling experience.
    "The greatest expression of rebellion is joy." - Joss Whedon

@ dth316, love your avatar! Christopher Nolan is one of my favorite directors. Can't wait for INCEPTION.

I know, the movie is going to rock!!!

Oh, back on topic, lol. It's understandable that 3D will make everything seem further away too but I see no point in that. That does nothing for me. I want things to seem like they're coming out of the screen, not more into it, haha

• Iron-Clad Allie

I agree with you on this. Having 3D baffles me since you are viewing the ride from a window and I don't know how it is suppose to come out to you if the screen is suppose to act like a window.

After reading the link above, I'm actually really looking forward to this. Star Tours needs the update badly, and having multiple planets really does help with the re-rideability. I only go on it if it is a short line, but I think the re-rideability has really diminished over the past few years for me.

Disney is taking the right direction in programming different experiences to catch up with today's technology, as well as expanding on the original premise by including the worlds from the prequels.
    Interacting with planets from each of the two trilogies will be quite exciting. The screen of the Star Speeders will likely be greatly modified (as with everything else). There might even be a second screen on the roof...and possibly completely new vehicles). Regardless of the case, the dynamics are guaranteed to be completely different. We have much to look forward to!

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I saw wait for the ride to be out before we get all excited 4 all the cool tech stuff they're telling us, since I have heard about how Indy was hyped to never be the same ride twice...too.
    Certainly doesn't hurt to reserve judgement until the ride opens. Although word is that George Lucas has personally had his hands on every phase of this ride project (plus technologies have eminsely improved since Indy's opening in 1995)...and we have every reason to expect the claims to more than meet our expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by MistaDee View Post
    Honestly what ride is ever completely believable? In pirates, why this ship is much too small! In indy why do the jeeps hold so many people! Its justnot a fair argument.

And to the indy comment above that was a different ride, this will be a different story.
    Very good point. As the song goes..."A dream is a wish the heart makes." Since 1955, Disney park rides have suspended reality and allowed guests to escape into a world of happiness and fantasy.

Still, elements of the outside world are a part of every ride...unless you meet Disney half way and allow yourself to believe with your heart that you are immersed in a world where reality is completely suspended throughout the duration of each ride experience. After all, "dreams really do come true"...do they not?
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Freakazoid112 View Post
    Here is a video someone else posted in another thread. I would love to see this sort of technology be used in ST 2.0 but it seems unlikely. At least it would eliminate the concern of the glasses "breaking the show."
    YouTube - Real-time 3D TV System
    Thanx for the vid Freakazoid. I too hope that this technology will be incorated into the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
    I'm loving what I'm hearing about this so far. My only problem is calling it "2.0". It just sounds I don't know, weird.
    I'm certain the new ride's name will be very cool. Once it's announced, you will never hear another utterance of 2.0 again...or I'll eat my Jedi pajamers.

Quote Originally Posted by RobotWolf View Post
    I'd like to point out that 3D technology is not limited to making objects appear in front of the screen. It can make objects (distant stars) appear far beyond the screen in terms of depth.

Remember, when you're looking out of the windshield of your car, you're seeing a 3D image.

Yes, the glasses will detract from the overall theming experience. But I'm hoping that the proper use of 3D effects will make up for it.

With regard to the interactive element, Disney has done this before. Horizons, over at Epcot Center, had a similar "vote on where to go" situation.

I remain extremely optimistic about the upgrade's chances to offer an exciting and dazzling experience.
    Look very much forward to viewing three demensional depth along with space images far from the screen...from a galaxy far far away. Thank you for bringing up the point that Disney has successfully experimented with ride elements similar to those being touted as a part of the coming upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by casey-eo View Post
    @ dth316, love your avatar! Christopher Nolan is one of my favorite directors. Can't wait for INCEPTION.
    The mere thought of Inception sends me rockin and goosebumpin!

Quote Originally Posted by dth316 View Post
    I know, the movie is going to rock!!!

Oh, back on topic, lol. It's understandable that 3D will make everything seem further away too but I see no point in that. That does nothing for me. I want things to seem like they're coming out of the screen, not more into it, haha
    This ride is going to kick asteroids! Objects will be coming both into and outside of the screen...more dramatically than ever before.

• Cars Land Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Freakazoid112 View Post
    I don't know if I'm the only one who thinks this but I sort of feel this 3-D is a bit unnecessary for the experience; I mean, yes it will make it more realistic by three-dimensional depth for the environment, but I just don't see how those glasses can tie-in with the storyline. Since when do you board an airplane and they have you wear special "safety glasses" for the flight? Same scenario would apply for flying in a Star Tours StarSpeeder vehicle
    I had similar thoughts when I heard this next version of Star Tours would be 3D. Also, I rode Horizons at Epcot, and I remember how that voting worked. What I fear is that a similar type of voting adds more of a game show atmosphere to the ride, and takes away from the story and theme. I hope they come up with a better way for guests to choose the destinations.

• Animation Domination

Hopefully Fast pass will become availed for Star Tours II. When Episode I came out back in '99 a fastpass for Star Tours was needed. It was the same ride.
    "You are watching FOX"

• Disney Fan & Musician

are they actually calling it Star Tours 2.0?
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

I'd lose my lid if they call it Star Tours 3D.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by OC2Epcot View Post
    I had similar thoughts when I heard this next version of Star Tours would be 3D. Also, I rode Horizons at Epcot, and I remember how that voting worked. What I fear is that a similar type of voting adds more of a game show atmosphere to the ride, and takes away from the story and theme. I hope they come up with a better way for guests to choose the destinations.
    I have faith that an unobtrusive new system/device for voting will be introduced when the ride opens. This should be a component that will cause guest jedi's like us to clamor to get back on the ride again and again!

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMousePal View Post
    Hopefully Fast pass will become availed for Star Tours II. When Episode I came out back in '99 a fastpass for Star Tours was needed. It was the same ride.
    Fear not. The FastPass side of the Force will be with us.

Quote Originally Posted by MatterhornJ View Post
    are they actually calling it Star Tours 2.0?
    Absolutely not. It will likely be Star Tours: (substitute new subtitle). Then again, it's possible that Lucas/Disney may opt to replace the Star Tours name with something completely new and different.

Quote Originally Posted by dth316 View Post
    I'd lose my lid if they call it Star Tours 3D.
    I lost my lid yesterday. Has anyone seen it?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast