Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

2011 Star Tours 2: Story Direction Change Feature / Multi-Destinations

Source: DizFanatic

Regarding StarTours 2 (coming in 2011), Al Weiss is quoted as saying "There will be several points during each journey where the audience will be able to change where the story is going...You will rarely, if ever, see the same story twice." Plus, each StarSpeeder 1000 will take guests to multiple destinations in 3-D troughout the galaxy far far away.

Rumor has it that Star Tours will close on July 26th 2010 when the final flight to Endor (as it exists today) will take place. Get your rides in while you can.

Last edited by Ride Warrior; 06-17-2010 at 12:21 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Former Starspeeder Pilot

Re: 2011 Star Tours 2: Story Direction Change Feature / Multi-Destinations

Sounds pretty sweet. I'm stoked for it. I wonder how they will allow you to determine the different destinations. A voting procedure seems like it would take too long and slow the ride down. Perhaps vocally somehow? I hope this is not a feature they decide is too unworkable and it ends up getting scrapped.

Walking in Walt's footsteps

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Sounds pretty sweet. I'm stoked for it. I wonder how they will allow you to determine the different destinations. A voting procedure seems like it would take too long and slow the ride down. Perhaps vocally somehow? I hope this is not a feature they decide is too unworkable and it ends up getting scrapped.
    Disney isn't divulging the story change selection system. My guess would be some sort of interactive voting mechanism that is built into each chair. You might be right about the vocal vote...although it would seem this would require more steps, and a sensing mechanism that could measure the number of voices.

D23 StarTours 2 Trailer
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8G7VF3p-7U"]YouTube- Star Tours II (The Adventures Continue) Official Trailer[/ame]
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 06-17-2010 at 12:24 AM.

• Banned User

They did say at the Disney Expo that ST II will do things that no other ride ever has. If there is even some truth to this, then it will be an awesome sequel, with tremendous re-rideability.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    They did say at the Disney Expo that ST II will do things that no other ride ever has. If there is even some truth to this, then it will be an awesome sequel, with tremendous re-rideability.
    I love your coined word "re-rideability", disneyfann. For the sequel to feature groundbreaking components such as those discussed here, Al Weiss must be right on the money.

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

I honestly don't see this working out as it seems.

I think the most they'll do is have each StarSpeeder be a different ride and the determination of which one you ride will be by random and maybe you can request whether you want to go to "Endor", "Tataoine" or "Coruscant" in the same vein you can request the front of a roller coaster.

And in a way, I would actually prefer that. I hate when talking to people about something and they have no idea what it is I'm alluding to because they didn't see the director's cut or something. I also don't want to be left out on "the coolest part" somehow.

With the three options (there's 3 right? Or 4? Can't remember) I'll be able to choose which one is my favorite and talk amongst people as to which destination they went to on their last specific ride. It could also build up avid fan clubs and create memories for families. "When we go, we ALWAYS go to Endor. It's our favorite destination."

I'm all for revolutionizing ride systems but I think three distinct different rides is enough re-ridability. As is, if you go opening day, you'd be spending all day in line trying to cram all the destinations in for the 12 hours total it would be. If it were just "every ride is different" this creates some what of a "I have to ride it 10 times today in order to get every scenario" problem. And yes, I think that is a problem.

If, however, the ride system goes as planned, I think there should be a rare easter egg scenario that maybe comes up 10 times a day. Possibly a Death Star sequence? That would make people feel extremely special if they know that they won the lottery of sorts.

• Future Animator

That sounds super special awesome!! It'd be so cool to have a ride where guest interaction affects the experience to some degree!!

• Former Starspeeder Pilot

Was doing some poking around on the internet and came across this article from last year. Don't know who has read it, but for those who haven't, it's good some good tidbits. Like R2 and Threepio still being there, and Boba Fett being the primary villain.

Story here

Walking in Walt's footsteps

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by dth316 View Post
    I honestly don't see this working out as it seems.

I think the most they'll do is have each StarSpeeder be a different ride and the determination of which one you ride will be by random and maybe you can request whether you want to go to "Endor", "Tataoine" or "Coruscant" in the same vein you can request the front of a roller coaster.

And in a way, I would actually prefer that. I hate when talking to people about something and they have no idea what it is I'm alluding to because they didn't see the director's cut or something. I also don't want to be left out on "the coolest part" somehow.

With the three options (there's 3 right? Or 4? Can't remember) I'll be able to choose which one is my favorite and talk amongst people as to which destination they went to on their last specific ride. It could also build up avid fan clubs and create memories for families. "When we go, we ALWAYS go to Endor. It's our favorite destination."

I'm all for revolutionizing ride systems but I think three distinct different rides is enough re-ridability. As is, if you go opening day, you'd be spending all day in line trying to cram all the destinations in for the 12 hours total it would be. If it were just "every ride is different" this creates some what of a "I have to ride it 10 times today in order to get every scenario" problem. And yes, I think that is a problem.

If, however, the ride system goes as planned, I think there should be a rare easter egg scenario that maybe comes up 10 times a day. Possibly a Death Star sequence? That would make people feel extremely special if they know that they won the lottery of sorts.
    While I would certainly be pleased as peaches over several distinct different StarSpeeder rides, technology has increased enough for a feasable breakthrough technological voter-based system to emerge.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by AcmePunched View Post
    That sounds super special awesome!! It'd be so cool to have a ride where guest interaction affects the experience to some degree!!
    Aptly put, AcmePunched! I very much agree with your enthusiastic positive view.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Was doing some poking around on the internet and came across this article from last year. Don't know who has read it, but for those who haven't, it's good some good tidbits. Like R2 and Threepio still being there, and Boba Fett being the primary villain.

Story here
    Yes! Thanks big time for the link, Rex. I'm so happy that R2 and 3PO maintain prominent roles. Boba Fett chases your ship around the StarWars galaxy pretty much throughout the ride. Sure hope we will have the opportunity to blast him out of the sky at the end.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Sounds sweet. Thanks for the news! Personally, i'd like to see a Star Wars specific area with Star Tours being just one of the rides. Disney is capable of doing it but i guess they've evened out their budget into all their park for expansion and some for SHDL.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by HKDLFAN View Post
    Sounds sweet. Thanks for the news! Personally, i'd like to see a Star Wars specific area with Star Tours being just one of the rides. Disney is capable of doing it but i guess they've evened out their budget into all their park for expansion and some for SHDL.
    Wish Disney would build a StarWars land somewhere at the DL Resort...but I'll be overcome with joy to have a stand-out new StarTours. The coming Shanghai Disneyland excites me to no end! Perhaps the world's first StarWars land could be built there.

• Banned User

That article said something about Admiral Akbar holographically communicating with your Star-Speeder. If he does not say "It's a trap!" I am going to be reeeally disappointed.

I don't know if I'm the only one who thinks this but I sort of feel this 3-D is a bit unnecessary for the experience; I mean, yes it will make it more realistic by three-dimensional depth for the environment, but I just don't see how those glasses can tie-in with the storyline. Since when do you board an airplane and they have you wear special "safety glasses" for the flight? Same scenario would apply for flying in a Star Tours StarSpeeder vehicle.

Am I saying it will be tacky with 3-D? Most certainly not! I am just thinking out loud if this whole 3-D concept is necessary; the re-ridability and interactive experience would alone attract me to ride it.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Freakazoid112 View Post
    That article said something about Admiral Akbar holographically communicating with your Star-Speeder. If he does not say "It's a trap!" I am going to be reeeally disappointed.

I don't know if I'm the only one who thinks this but I sort of feel this 3-D is a bit unnecessary for the experience; I mean, yes it will make it more realistic by three-dimensional depth for the environment, but I just don't see how those glasses can tie-in with the storyline. Since when do you board an airplane and they have you wear special "safety glasses" for the flight? Same scenario would apply for flying in a Star Tours StarSpeeder vehicle.

Am I saying it will be tacky with 3-D? Most certainly not! I am just thinking out loud if this whole 3-D concept is necessary; the re-ridability and interactive experience would alone attract me to ride it.
    I knew that mentioning the 3-D element would create some questions...if not criticism. As it was part of the article, I had to report it. Look at it this way, a more realistic depth of feel can best be created thru use of the 3-D glasses. As the glasses themselves are obviously not a part of that realistic environment, we will just have to play along until the day that this sort of optical devise is no longer required.

The phrase "It's a trap!" is a part of Admiral Akbar's character, just like the light sabres are an integral part of Luke, Yoda, Anakin, Obi, etc. I think we can pretty much count on his warning. The holographic appearance inside the StarSpeeders will be cooler than coolness itself.

Exceptional critique, Freakazoid.

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Freakazoid112 View Post

I agree with you on this. Having 3D baffles me since you are viewing the ride from a window and I don't know how it is suppose to come out to you if the screen is suppose to act like a window.

After reading the link above, I'm actually really looking forward to this. Star Tours needs the update badly, and having multiple planets really does help with the re-rideability. I only go on it if it is a short line, but I think the re-rideability has really diminished over the past few years for me.

Disney is taking the right direction in programming different experiences to catch up with today's technology, as well as expanding on the original premise by including the worlds from the prequels.

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast