Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Closed Account

Re: Some Disneyland Railroad News

Quote Originally Posted by Koutesu
    Something I've always wondered about is just how old some of those engines really are. Does anyone know how old they are and which ones were built for the park?
    Engine No. 1, C.K. Holliday, built 1954/1955 for the park;

Engine No. 2, E.P. Ripley, built 1954/1955 for the park;

Engine No. 3, Fred Gurley, built by Baldwin Locomotive Works, Philadelphia, 1894 for a Louisiana sugar plantation. Rebuilt by Disney 1958;

Engine No. 4, Ernest S. Marsh, built by Baldwin Locomotive Works, Philadelphia, 1925, for a New Jersey sand quarry. Rebuilt by Disney 1959;

Engine No. 5, Ward Kimball, built by Baldwin Locomotive Works, Sept. 1902, also for a Louisiana sugar plantation. Originally named Maud L. Rebuilt by Disney outside contractor in 2005.

• Disney Secrets Master

Thumbs up Re: Some Disneyland Railroad News

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano
    Sure! This photo of the E.P. Ripley, by Matt Walker, shows its new builder's plate under the smokestack. It reads, "WED Locomotive Works, 1955, No. 1, W.E. Disney, Pres., R.E. Broggie, Gen. Mgr."

Here's a close-up, also by Matt:

Thats Great How You Got That pic of the plate so close up! Keep Up the good work!
    Putting the um in forum. Um...

• Koubu Pilot

Engine No. 1, C.K. Holliday, built 1954/1955 for the park;

Engine No. 2, E.P. Ripley, built 1954/1955 for the park;

Engine No. 3, Fred Gurley, built by Baldwin Locomotive Works, Philadelphia, 1894 for a Louisiana sugar plantation. Rebuilt by Disney 1958;

Engine No. 4, Ernest S. Marsh, built by Baldwin Locomotive Works, Philadelphia, 1925, for a New Jersey sand quarry. Rebuilt by Disney 1959;

Engine No. 5, Ward Kimball, built by Baldwin Locomotive Works, Sept. 1902, also for a Louisiana sugar plantation. Originally named Maud L. Rebuilt by Disney outside contractor in 2005.

Wow. Isn't something considered an antique when it reaches an age of 100? Those old locomotives are amazing. I hope they can continue to maintain these engines. Seeing them on the tracks and making constant trips around Disneyland is much better than seeing them collect dust in a museum. I wonder if Magic Kingdom, Disneyland Paris, and Tokyo Disneyland (Western River Railroad) have old engines that have histories?

• Closed Account

The Magic Kingdom in FL has four vintage Baldwins from the 'teens and '20s.

All the other parks utilize steam locomotives built especially for them by various manufacturers.

HKDL does not use steam powered engines, but internal-combustion diesel engines housed in steam-locomotive look-alike dress (what we call "steam-outline"). The only "Magic Kingdom" in the realm that does NOT use actual steam locomotives.

The Fred Gurley, at DL, is the oldest operating steam locomotive at a Disney park.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by llama5492
    Thats Great How You Got That pic of the plate so close up! Keep Up the good work!
    Thanks go to Matt Walker for the photography skills!

Lilly Belle News: The car is scheduled to come back to DL on FRIDAY!! But don't expect to see it anytime before December. Interior work like re-carpeting still needs to be done.

Word is the car will have BRASS marker lamps upon her return! Classy!
    (marker lamps are the little lights in the upper corners of the last car on each train. Most of the trains have black marker lamps).
    Steve, I understand that the Lilly Belle has returned to the Roundhouse and the finishing touches are being put on.

An interesting note about the brass marker lamps. Aparenly, the original marker lamps were simply going to be replaced when the team restoring her found that there were several layers of paint on them. They put them in an acid bath and they were restored to their original Brass lusture and shine. They will make an amazing addition. The car looked beautiful before she left the shop and will look amazing when the crew does the rest of the finishing touches. I only hope they limit the public from riding in her. They simply have not respect and will tear her up!

• Closed Account

Well, really, the "public" has never been allowed to ride the Lilly Belle. And I hope that tradition continues (even though it will mean that in all likelihood, I'll never get a chance to ride in the car). Some of the conductors are also hoping the car will not see service in the rain (partially to keep even VIPs, with their wet feet, from treading on the carpet).

I think the car should remain special, and even somewhat exclusive, like Club 33.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFields
    An interesting note about the brass marker lamps. Aparenly, the original marker lamps were simply going to be replaced when the team restoring her found that there were several layers of paint on them. They put them in an acid bath and they were restored to their original Brass lusture and shine.
    Disneyfields, early photos of the car in 1955 show no marker lamps installed. Photographs in my collection show they made their appearnce some time later, and were, in fact, painted black.

My guess is, they are constructed of sheet brass (an easy metal to work with), and now have merely had the black paint removed, revealing the original material.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12