Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Decor Extraordinare

Going to Grad Night

So, I don't graduate until 2011, but my school opened it's Disneyland Grad Night tickets to Juniors and Sophomores who would buy a ticket with a Senior...snatched up the opportunity instantly! It's just a shame AP's won't get you admission. Apparently the school has to make money

Anyway, I know we're one of the last districts to release [June 24th is the date] and many other school districts have gone already. Just wondering if there's anyone here who either has graduated this year and gone already or if you have kids that went this year. Want to know what to expect.

A friend from Loyola said he went and was EXHAUSTED at 6am the next morning when it all ended, and it was interesting seeing the sky get a little darker every time he got off a ride.

On the ticket bid, it says that 3 "Dance stations" of some sort will be playing Hip-Hop, Latin and Top 40 music and, as pictures have shown, there will be lighting arrays similar to that of Glow Fest [but hopefully without that raver's atmosphere...talk about a headache]. I didn't see it mention anything about restaurants that will remain open that night/morning, but I'm not expecting many, if any, to be making food fresh for the 8 hours we're there.

Also, can I expect the park to close early that night to accommodate all the schools that will be attending? Or will they pull a Magic Mountain and set up stations that prevent people w/o proper identification through to certain areas?

If you've gone or heard stories, let me know please! I'm excited regardless..though it would be awesome for DCA to remain open, too...wishful thinking ^_^

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Re: Going to Grad Night

I know someone who went to Grad Night this year, and they said it was just like a rave party complete with bright, booming, flashing lights. I'd take some aspirin before you head out. Have a blast! (And stay out of trouble..)
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Disney friends are #1

I was gifted with a chaperone ticket and went last week (June 10th). You are not allowed to exit the park after entering. You must stay within Disneyland and cannot get any closer to the entrance/exit than the railroad bridges. Dance floors are everywhere! The tables are cleared from the Rancho Zocalo restaurant outside dining area for dancing to Latin music. The front of the castle (street area, not castle forcourt) is a large dance floor as is the plaza in front of "it's a small world". A "low show" fireworks display happened at both 1:00 and 3:00am. No thunderous shells but a very nice 10-12 minute display. Ride lines were very long. However, by 4:00, the teens were dropping like flies and lines became nonexistant. I went on Mansion at 4:15 and there were 4 others in the stretching room with me. Space mountain was consistently crowded with 90 minute lines throughout the night. This ride was closed around 4:30 to make sure that the line had cycled out by the 6:00am closing time. Main street had music "bumping" throughout the evening and I saw only the occasional character walking around. The opera house was designated as the chapperone "headquarters" and they were treated to showings of "Old Dogs" and "The Princess and the Frog" to pass the time. I thought that it is funny that, by day, you are told to not put your legs up on the seat in front of you in the opera house. That evening/morning EVERYONE had their legs draped over the seat in front of them. Many looked like they were sleeping or were on the verge of it. Kids littered the opera house lobby sleeping long before the night was over. I counted about 20 of them by 2:00am.

I, as a Disney park nut found certain little details interesting. I was caught by the sight of the Rivers of America being so still that the surface was as smooth as glass and perfectly reflected the moon. I was uplifted in seeing Captain Eo without any "old dudes" being received by these teens with as much enthusiasm as a bunch of rabid Michael Jackson fans. I repeated Captain Eo a couple of hours later and the results were the same. I frequently walked into a cloud of marijuana smoke at the oddest locations (opera house theater!).

At the end of our visit, we were directed to walk to the parking structure by way of the tram road. As we trudged back, I was amazed at the sheer amount of litter that had been thrown onto the tram pathway. Literally almost blanketing the road! There had to be THOUSANDS of 5"x7" flyers advertising some bands at some concert location. Marijuana smoke was also very evident along this walk back as well.

In my recent experience, Grad Nite just doesn't have the "magic" that a typical visit has. It was very loud, flashy, and crowded with patrons who, as a group, didn't seem to really care about the park. They came, they danced, they trashed, and they left. I enjoyed my visit (never did a Grad Nite before) and it seemed strange in a Twilight Zone sort of way. Cast members were visibly exhausted and obviously eager for the evening to end. In all, I enjoyed my visit. I just have no urge to do another one.

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

I agree that Grad Nite is a different breed of "magic." But I think Disneyland is welcome to have these different types of entertainment for different ages. I love the traditional Disneyland visit but Grad Nite is also amazing in it's own right because it's a giant party at flippin DISNEYLAND. It's one of the reasons I love Glow Fest so much. I love Disney at it's traditional level but in no way do I mind them changing things up every once and awhile for something with specific demographic.

I hope I too get to chaperone Grad Nite one day, I'd love to go back.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Kablary View Post
    Also, can I expect the park to close early that night to accommodate all the schools that will be attending? Or will they pull a Magic Mountain and set up stations that prevent people w/o proper identification through to certain areas?
    DL will close to the public at some point, and all guests will leave. An hour later or so, only grad night guests will be allowed to enter. It is considered a private party, closed to the public.
    It will likely be completely packed.

• Pretty in Pink Princess

I wen to grad night when I was a senior back in 1998 and this coming school year my little brother will be a senior soon to be bumming money off of me for grad night. Memories, memories, lol.

• Dont make me unfriend you

I used to work the Grad Nights. I loved them! But many from my department hated them. I worked night custodial (midnight to 8am) So, seeing the park alive with guests and other CM's was fun for me. Others didn't like it because it gave us less time to clean the park before the next's opening. Also, some of the CM's who worked the night shift worked at night so that they wouldn't see guests. I was in my mid 20's so I didn't mind having a chance to flirt with the "day time" CM's.

I remember being in the Inn Between eating my lunch and a "day time" CM was sitting nearby nearly asleep and he asked me, "How can you eat fired chicken at 4 am?"

• Banned User

Where i want to live: Mickeys house|Where i do live:FAR AWAY FROM THERE D:

Im a teenager. and the entire idea of grad night stumps me on how disney lets stinky crazy dis-respectful, teens run thru the parks till the wee hours of the morning...(generalization i know, however i cant say that what i just described is a minority.)

hey i went on the 3rd and it was packed. my school did the DCA thing before the actual disneyland grad night so we all got vouchers to use at certain places where they pretty much served one or only a few items, not the regular menu. it gets even more crowded at disneyland but security seemed to keep things under control. the lines are pretty much what you would expect during a summer day, 2+ hours for space mountain, short wait for buzz etc.

they do sporadically open the rides throughout the night. indiana jones wasn't opened till about an hour in, same with fantasyland rides which are virtually empty.

it was kind of bizarre to walk into DCA and hear "i'm yours" playing or hear "OMG" or "california girls" blaring in main street. it's definitely a different experience being surrounded by just high school seniors and no cute little kids or parents. be prepared for strobe lights, constant pda, and long lines, but its a good thing to experience. and for the restaurant side, not everything was open, but they do have a map of what exactly is open for that night.
    If we chase the stars to lose our shadow, Peter Pan and Wendy turned out fine.

My niece went last night, and she said the security wait was 2 hours.
    She is not normally a complainer, but she was not happy about Grad Night.
    She was pretty disappointed at the crowds. She only got to go on 4 rides.
    It's too bad, but it sounds like they overbooked the place.

• The one and only

Grad Nite feels just weird in Disneyland. Suprisingly, though, I felt that it brought more character, and life, to DCA.

I just went a couple of weeks ago and let me tell you it is one heck of a fun time! It's so different from your usual Disneyland visit but it's so fun seeing all these bright lights and all this music blasting out of the speakers and you hear people singing their lungs out everywhere.

The only bad thing was how insanely crowded it was and getting back to the trams was horrible! Thy decided to take most of the trams that were supposed to be located on the second floor of the mickey and friends parking structure and moved it to the Pinocchio parking lot and didn't tell any of the chaperones so my school and tons of other schools were wandering around outside trying to figure out where our trams where. Oh and tons of energy drinks spilled everywhere was another bad thing about grad nite.

• Decor Extraordinare

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback guys :]

I'm shocked to hear that 1: people actually brought marijuana to the park and smoked it, 2: kids fell asleep, 3: that the place was packed and 4: the place gets trashed. I mean, you wouldn't see kids dropping trash in the midways on a regular day's visit...whatever, teens will be teens.

I highly doubt DL will be THAT packed on the 24th - most districts have let out already, right? I know for sure it'll be us [El Segundo], Hawthorne, and whatever is left of LA Unified.

Regardless, I'm excited! I think it'll be fine. I'll have a report when I get back the next day...after sleeping for 15 hours straight.

• Gold Prospector

Just remember "DON'T TAKE ANY DRUGS!!!" I have heard so many stories about kids ODing and freakin out cause they are high as kites. So many paramedic runs I think they have a few Care ambulances just on property cause they gotta take high and drunk kids to the ER. Follow the rules and have fun!!!
    Howdy folks, please keep your hands, arms and legs inside the train and remain seated at all times. Now then, hang on to them hats and glasses cause this here's the Wildest Ride in the Wilderness!!!

• Banned User

Where i want to live: Mickeys house|Where i do live:FAR AWAY FROM THERE D:

like i said.. letting "teens" run thru the parks late at night till the wee hours of the morning, talking away from the maintenance that gets done, to trash the parks... this is coming from a disney loving teenager. (not to many of them around anymore, are there?)

BOO MAGIC MOUNTAIN.. thats where grad night SHOULD be.. -.-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast