Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

Re: Return of the Ticket Books...is it just a matter of time?

Completely disagree with Mr Weaver.

I would feel limited in my possibilities when a ticket book is getting smaller and smaller in my pocket. Also wouldn't shorter lines mean that less people were enjoying rides in the first place? Cutting down prices while increasing attendance and profits while decreasing lines? Someones losing track here.

No matter what, either Disney is losing money or, if not, Im being punished for liking my rides. It's not going happen. Plus people will still complain, "Im paying to spend money!"

Disneyland is a luxury, and those who are unhappy with the prices should show by not pulling out their wallets

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Going to a one price system eliminated the need for a boatload of Cast Members. The Mouse no longer needed someone to man the individual ride ticket booths in each land, nor did they need Cast Members at the turnstile of each attraction to collect tickets.

To bring ticket books back, there would need to be an increase in labor costs. The Mouse wouldn't like that.
    Not necessarily...

I'm going to preface this with I haven't actually read the middle of this thread but...

They wouldn't have to bring back actual, physical "tickets." With the technology we have today, they don't need them. I think I remember somewhere at the beginning of this thread someone mentioning the RDF technology. They could just use this.

You pay one price for your "AP" or general admission into the park. You are issued a plastic card just like you have now. Instead of E ticket, D ticket etc, each ride is rated on a point system. Lets say an E ticket level ride is 5 points, D is 4 etc. In addition to your general admission, you could pay for a certain number of points (tickets) to be added to your card electronically. You could buy packets of ride points... ten 5 point rides, eight 4 point rides etc.

Heck the technology already exists to wave your credit card in front of a reader and have purchases put on the card. All they would need is a card reader as you go into the ride. It could have a display window as you run your card through showing you how many of a particular point ride you have left.

Run out of points? No problem just take your card and an ATM or credit card to the nearest refill kiosk and reload your card with more rides! All it would take is installing the equipment, no additional (or very little) extra personnel need be hired.

Damn thats scary how easy it would be...

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• TinkerBell's BFF!

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Not necessarily...

I'm going to preface this with I haven't actually read the middle of this thread but...

They wouldn't have to bring back actual, physical "tickets." With the technology we have today, they don't need them. I think I remember somewhere at the beginning of this thread someone mentioning the RDF technology. They could just use this.

You pay one price for your "AP" or general admission into the park. You are issued a plastic card just like you have now. Instead of E ticket, D ticket etc, each ride is rated on a point system. Lets say an E ticket level ride is 5 points, D is 4 etc. In addition to your general admission, you could pay for a certain number of points (tickets) to be added to your card electronically. You could buy packets of ride points... ten 5 point rides, eight 4 point rides etc.

Heck the technology already exists to wave your credit card in front of a reader and have purchases put on the card. All they would need is a card reader as you go into the ride. It could have a display window as you run your card through showing you how many of a particular point ride you have left.

Run out of points? No problem just take your card and an ATM or credit card to the nearest refill kiosk and reload your card with more rides! All it would take is installing the equipment, no additional (or very little) extra personnel need be hired.

that is the same ticket system I was envisioning as well, you just were able to explain is much better than I could.

I don't think I would honestly be too opposed to that version. It would be weird, and I cant imagine how many screaming kids (and parents) there would be at first ( I mean...more than there are now, haha), but I think I could learn to live with this ticket booth business...

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ifoceanscollide View Post
    that is the same ticket system I was envisioning as well, you just were able to explain is much better than I could.

I don't think I would honestly be too opposed to that version. It would be weird, and I cant imagine how many screaming kids (and parents) there would be at first ( I mean...more than there are now, haha), but I think I could learn to live with this ticket booth business...
    If it would lower the cost of my AP... I might consider it. Because honestly, when I go to the park I actually don't ride that many things anyway. I'm there mostly to hang out with friends or just absorb the atmosphere. But I'd have to sit down and actually crunch my own personal numbers to see if it really would be cost effective, and it would depend on the actual price of the AP/Gate admission.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
    • Super Hero

Not necessarily...

Then it really wouldn't be "The Return of the Ticket Books", would it?

What you describe is just a variation of the system used at DCA's Games of the Boardwalk (which is just a modernized version of carnival tickets). Some folks get it, but I sure see a lot of confused people talking to the CMs standing at the card loading machines.
    Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab
    I still can't figure out where that strap goes.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by ChurroMan View Post
    I would feel limited in my possibilities when a ticket book is getting smaller and smaller in my pocket.
    I feel limited now.....Peter Pan is a very nice ride, but as things are now I may have to choose between waiting 45 minutes to ride it or 10 minutes to ride Snow White.

Wish there was some sort of way Disney could sort of shift some of those waiting in line for Pan over to the much shorter line for Snow White.....What would Walt do?

Also wouldn't shorter lines mean that less people were enjoying rides in the first place?
    Nope........in fact, with Ticket books more people could enjoy the rides.

Why?

2 reasons.

• Line length has nothing to do with ride capacity....unless a line is so short that there are periods of time when no one is in line, the exact same number of people will enjoy a ride in any given hour regardless of how long the line is.
    • Because Disney would be making money from the attractions themselves, it would be in their interest to keep the Park open later(at least as long as most attractions still have a steady stream of paying customers).....if the Park is open later, ride capacity for the day INCREASES.

No matter what, either Disney is losing money or, if not, Im being punished for liking my rides.
    The only people who would really be "punished" are those who ignore Disney's less popular attractions while taking in the most popular at a pace greater than the average guest......kinda like when you go out to eat with 3 other couples and everyone decides to just split the bill evenly; the guy that had Steak and Lobster with 4 glasses of a high end Wine would probably feel a little "punished" if they decided everyone should just pay for their own meals

It's not going happen. Plus people will still complain, "Im paying to spend money!"
    People always complain.....I am complaining about the way things are now, does it matter? Does anyone care?

Disneyland is a luxury, and those who are unhappy with the prices should show by not pulling out their wallets
    That's happening right now........and that's the whole point of this thread.....Disney needs to find a way to get people who are gaining entry into the park for as little as a couple bucks a day to pull out those wallets.

Ticketbooks would be one way.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Grumpy is as Grumpy Does!

If it would lower the cost of my AP... I might consider it. Because honestly, when I go to the park I actually don't ride that many things anyway. I'm there mostly to hang out with friends or just absorb the atmosphere. But I'd have to sit down and actually crunch my own personal numbers to see if it really would be cost effective, and it would depend on the actual price of the AP/Gate admission.

I agree with you but alot of the anti-AP program people complain about the volume of APs in the park simply taking up space, not necessarily the long lines.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910