Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Re: Return of the Ticket Books...is it just a matter of time?

Quote Originally Posted by NVDLfan View Post
    You're assuming that's what AP holders are doing though. How many are not eating the parks? I'd probably say a good portion of them. They bring in their own food, and water bottles. So where does Disney make money there? Even if some do buy a quick lunch and an ice cream, I really don't see most spending $100+ on dinner each time they go. Didn't Disney recently say that revenue on things like that are DOWN? But attendance is up? I think that says right there that locals aren't pulling their weight in $$$ once they enter the park.

It is Disney's hope that if you give people a good deal, they'll come in and spend spend spend, on other things. But even looking at these boards, it seems most locals are looking to spend as little as they can when going to the parks. Hopefully someone at Disney will wake up and see that this isn't exactly working, and trying to suck the tourists dry to make up for it, isn't the way to go.
    That's fair, but my main point is that DL wouldn't be LOSING any money due to large crowds. I'm MUCH more familiar with WDW than DL, and I know that the problem at WDW was decreased spending per guest, and that very well may be the case at DL as well. Also, as I understand it, the Annual Passes are much more significant in DL vs WDW, so all you Californians would know much better than I.

• Is a crazeh cat

I have just one question which I think people who want ticket books need to ask themselves. Will they ruin the magic of Disneyland? My thoughts? YES!

Do you want Disneyland to feel like your local fun fair? Well then pay for the rides, but that's not what Disneyland is. It's a place of escapism. How great would it be when you want to ride pirates but you cant because your ride card has run out of credits and you will have to march all the way back to the machine and chuck more money into it!

I also agree that it's because of Disneys popularity that we now see large crowds. It's been 55 years since the park opened and it has now become not just a national icon but also an international icon.

Ticket books are a thing of the past. Sure some older people who experienced Disneyland 'back in the good old days' might have fond memories of the ticket book system, but you may be looking at it through rose tinted glasses. Will the ticket books really work? Or is it just for the nostalger and the memories that you want it back?

I believe in these times Disneyland needs to look forwards and not backwards. But with the old ideals of course

• Light up the HALO!

Even my local fair has just done away with tickets. That shows you how out dated the system is.
    As we say to the animals, that's the end of the lion.

RACE THROUGH THE UNIVERSE, CAREEN THROUGH THE STARS.

Space Mountain

• Grumpy is as Grumpy Does!

***scratchin head*** Still trying to figure out why everyone wants to line the Disney pockets with additional cost as well as blastig the AP program... yes, I am local so I defend it just like those who aren't local who seem to be the main (but no sole) critics of the AP program.

Disney offers a great experience (crowded or not) for individuals and families at a good price (especially in these tough times). We all share in the crowds, etc...

I can't see them taking a HUGE leap back to the ticket program

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by SBS View Post
    I have just one question which I think people who want ticket books need to ask themselves. Will they ruin the magic of Disneyland? My thoughts? YES!
    No, it would not......it would slow the pace down, which is a good thing. More magical, not less. Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Do you want Disneyland to feel like your local fun fair?
    I would love for Disneyland to have really good food like my local county fair......but that's a whole other topic

Well then pay for the rides, but that's not what Disneyland is. It's a place of escapism. How great would it be when you want to ride pirates but you cant because your ride card has run out of credits and you will have to march all the way back to the machine and chuck more money into it!
    Better than arriving at a line that is so long you have to choose between waiting in it or not riding it at all.....at least in your scenario I can "escape" my situation by opening up my wallet, as things are now there is no "escape" from a long line except to just bypass riding altogether.

I also agree that it's because of Disneys popularity that we now see large crowds. It's been 55 years since the park opened and it has now become not just a national icon but also an international icon.
    It has always been an international icon....that's not a new thing fyi...lol

Ticket books are a thing of the past. Sure some older people who experienced Disneyland 'back in the good old days' might have fond memories of the ticket book system, but you may be looking at it through rose tinted glasses. Will the ticket books really work? Or is it just for the nostalger and the memories that you want it back?
    A good point, but us old foggies also remember a few other things.....the wonderful "little" attractions that in the chug-a-lug world of allyoucanrideforonepricesodon'tbothertorideanythin gbesidesthebiggestandbest no longer are needed by Disney....bye bye skyway, peoplemover, keel boats, motorboat cruise etc, etc........also, bye bye new Etickets(16 years and counting folks, with nothing on the horizon)
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Seasick

I doubt ticket books would ever come back, but the concept of paying for experiences on top of park admission appears to be alive and well.

Want to see the Halloween fireworks? Pony up extra for a Halloween party.

Want to just pop in after work to see World of Color? Unless you are willing to have a lousy view, gotta pony up for a picnic lunch or sit-down dinner.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    I doubt ticket books would ever come back, but the concept of paying for experiences on top of park admission appears to be alive and well.

Want to see the Halloween fireworks? Pony up extra for a Halloween party.

Want to just pop in after work to see World of Color? Unless you are willing to have a lousy view, gotta pony up for a picnic lunch or sit-down dinner.
    Precisely what I was getting at in the OP.....Disney has the crowds, now to figure out how to get them to open up their wallets.

It was easy when the crowds were mostly tourists....tourists want to spend their money and don't have the experience to be savvy about it......but now the crowds are made up of mostly veterans of the Disneyland adventure and they are quite adept at keeping the Mouse out of their wallets.

I think these hard ticket events like the Halloween Party and the tying meal purchases to good show seats are just the tip of the iceberg....eventually, more and more Disney experiences will have to have a "fee" attached, since the Gate Admission is, for some anyway, and for all practical purposes a mere token.
    Last edited by sleepyjeff; 06-23-2010 at 10:03 AM.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Intersting concept. I still have a bunch of old tickets, I'm ready!

I also remember being able to come in on a 'shopping pass' and do just that - shop for a couple of hours, then go back to the motel.

Using tickets was fun. We actually had to plan out our day to use all the tickets to the best advantage. There was also some swapping with the cast members that added to the enjoyment - "I'll give you two C's to ride this D attraction".

Do I see it happening in the near future? Probably not, but I'm ready for whatever they throw at me!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• Minion

Does anyone else find it ironic that the people who are vehemently opposed to bringing ride tickets back are in favor of the FastPass system? People who go into a rage at the thought of carrying around a neatly arranged ticket book are willing to carry around a loose handful of fast passes? FastPass is also a ticket, but is only good at certain times and you are limited to how many you can have at one time. Tickets that you would buy have no such restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Does anyone else find it ironic that the people who are vehemently opposed to bringing ride tickets back are in favor of the FastPass system? People who go into a rage at the thought of carrying around a neatly arranged ticket book are willing to carry around a loose handful of fast passes? FastPass is also a ticket, but is only good at certain times and you are limited to how many you can have at one time. Tickets that you would buy have no such restrictions.
    I don't think it's the "ticket" part that people have a problem with. It's the "...that you would buy..."

• Is a crazeh cat

Quote Originally Posted by wizards8507 View Post
    I don't think it's the "ticket" part that people have a problem with. It's the "...that you would buy..."
    Totally agree, you cant compare the two.

In terms of what sleepyjeff was saying about no new e-tickets, there is a new one coming into DCA.

The problem is if that if the Disney company do bring in a ticketing system, we obviously dont have any sway in terms of how they spend that money and with the way the Disney company have been spending on their parks lately I'm not too sure if we would see an E ticket ride coming from them.

Just out of interest, did WDW have a ticketing system when it first opened? If it didnt then maybe it was Walt who decided to do away with the system. I know he died before the opening but still.

Just out of interest, did WDW have a ticketing system when it first opened? If it didnt then maybe it was Walt who decided to do away with the system. I know he died before the opening but still.
    Since the 1950s, the phrase E Ticket (or E ticket ride) has referred to an unusually interesting, thrilling or expensive experience. It derives from the tickets used at Disneyland and Walt Disney World theme parks until 1982. Formally, Disney called them coupons, but they were commonly referred to as tickets, as they were generally purchased in ticket books (with admission). The tickets came in different denominations, from A through E, with E tickets being the most expensive and reserved for the newest, most expensive or popular rides and attractions.

-Wikipedia

• Pilot EdForceOne

Just out of interest, did WDW have a ticketing system when it first opened?
    Yes
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

I disagree and I think it is a valid comparison to compare ticket books with fast passes. You pay for fast passes indirectly, when you buy your park ticket or annual pass. You also pay again with your time when you wait in line. Though obviously they are not the same thing, they are similar enough to warrant comparison. My point is that it is highly ironic that people who castigate the idea of a nice, neat, orderly ticket book are perfectly happy to put up with a handful of loose fast passes all day. Not to mention the fact that the fast passes restrict your time of entry while ticket books don't... and you can always buy more tickets while you can not always get more fast passes... and the added inconvenience of having to go to the attraction to get your fast pass and then return to the area later on, also not required with ticket books. Ticket books are actually better than fast passes in most ways. The people who are most against the ticket books seem to be the ones that never visited the park during the ticket book ear. The park was a better experience overall when they had ticket books than it is now. With unlimited rides per admission and the annual passes, they have converted Disneyland from a premium experience into a commodity.

• Is a crazeh cat

I think the thing to think about is International travelers. For a local or domestic traveler it may not be too bad having a ticket book where they can have a limited amount of rides because they know they will probably be able to come back soon. But for international travelers it may be their only experience they will ever have of the park and they will want to cram in as much as possible, especially if they are there for a short amount of time.

Unlimited park hopping is great because you can go backwards and forwards do as many rides as you want as many times as you want at either of the parks. I personally dont think it is fair to restrict someone to a limit of rides and have to keep paying for them. As a guest who cannot visit the parks often at all park hoppers are fantastic, but from my point of view the ticket system would be far too restricting.

When I was talking about the parks becoming not only a national institution but an international institution I was also refering to in terms of travel. Of course back when Disneyland opened in 1955 everyone around the globe pretty much knew who Disney was or at least a project he had created, but back then international holidays were UUUUBER expensive and the average family couldnt travel.

Nowadays WDW is a vacation gateway to the east with travelers from the UK and europe visiting the parks and Disneyland CA is a gateway to the west servicing guests from New Zealand, Australia, Hawaii amongst other places. Those are the people who will want to make the most of their trip by having unlimited access to the parks attractions. Imagine spending all that money and coming all that way and finding out you may have to limit the amount of attractions to experience. That would be really really depressing.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast