Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Return of the Ticket Books...is it just a matter of time?

When Disneyland first opened the price of admission was $1.00

With cheaper and cheaper(compared to the one-day admission) Annual Passports coming out it's conceivable that many are paying now(per day) to gain entry into Disneyland less than those who went in 1955.....far less if you factor in inflation.

And admission in 55' didn't even include the attractions.

With their audience mix becoming made up of more and more savvy locals will Disney ever decide to bring back some sort of pay-as-you-play scheme?

Can they even afford not to?
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Re: Return of the Ticket Books...is it just a matter of time?

Interesting question.

I don't think so, I think that they will just keep making the passes more expensive. Returning to tickets means adding ticket booths and cast members. I don't see them spending the money.

• The Study of Wumbo

There's a case for bringing them back besides the one you mention.

Return of Ticket Books means the return of A, B, and C-tickets. Which means the return of A, B, and C-ticket rides. People have to have someplace to use those tickets!

The use of ticket books would see higher popularity of attractions like the river boats, the Tomorrowland Transit Authority (WDW,) the Carousel of Progress (WDW,) The Many Adventures of Winnie-the-Pooh (DL,) the walk-thru exhibits, etc.

This could be both a blessing and a curse. More tickets to be spent means more crowds in these attractions, but it also means they are less likely to be removed due to low crowds.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Minion

I'd be in favor of it. That's how it was when I was a kid and it did not interfere with our fun, joy or magic. In fact I think it helped to keep lines short. I would make the general admission $39, or a ticket book with general admission plus a named ticket to each of the rides that has fastpass now, plus 5 tickets that can be used on any of the remaining rides, $79. For kids, $59 but it doesn't include the rides that most kids can't go on anyway because of the height restriction. Then make the annual pass $499 with no rides and $999 with unlimited rides - and no blackout dates. Same price for annual pass no matter where you live. And of course you could always buy individual ride tickets for any ride. I think this would also be an incentive for the park to develop new attractions.

• Sock Puppet

Absolutely insane! Why are people always suggesting that Disney charge us more??? They're the most expensive theme park in the business, and prices are going up every year. Heck no, they shouldn't do this. Give us a break. I'll wait in a line. I'll deal with crowds. People need some patience and to stop trying to make Disney exclusive to people who are the privileged upper class.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Another plus would be that if Disney was making money directly from attractions they would be a tad more eager to build new ones
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Minion

Having a general admission fee that doesn't include rides would lower the cost of getting into the park, not raise it. It would not serve the interests of the privileged upper class.

• Sock Puppet

I doubt we will ever see them lower the price of admission even with tickets returned. We pay enough!

• Lurker

IF they go back to some sort of pay-per-ride system (which I think is a good idea, but I won't hold my breath), I imagine they could implement some sort of RFID card like the Oyster Card they use for the London Underground. Wave your card over the sensor to open the gate, and top it up when your balance gets low. They'd still have to employ someone to keep people from jumping over the gates, but I think it would make things simple for guests.

• Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Having a general admission fee that doesn't include rides would lower the cost of getting into the park, not raise it. It would not serve the interests of the privileged upper class.
    Exactly. You would only be paying for those parts of the park you actually use, when you use them.

If only they would!!! Those were the glory days!

But, as I recall, Disney was kind of forced into going to an all-you-can-ride system by all the other theme parks doing it and they felt the pinch.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
    Absolutely insane! Why are people always suggesting that Disney charge us more??? They're the most expensive theme park in the business, and prices are going up every year. Heck no, they shouldn't do this. Give us a break. I'll wait in a line. I'll deal with crowds. People need some patience and to stop trying to make Disney exclusive to people who are the privileged upper class.
    I hear what you are saying. You want the average person to be able to afford a trip to Disneyland. And I agree!

However, I don't think the current one day ticket price or the current annual passes are affordable for a huge chunk of people.

As much as I personally benefit from my Premier Annual Pass, a ticket book system with a small entry fee and then a per ride cost would actually allow a larger segment of the population to afford a Disney visit.

Ticket books might even be able to coexist with passports. Some passports might just cover your parking and entry into the parks without any rides included (you'd have to buy ride tickets once you get to the park), others might include a set number of ticket books with purchase, and a premium pass might include full access for an equally premium price.

Such a system might actually increase the amount of money spent in shops and restaurants since more people would be able to afford to enter the park but might not want to pay for rides. The kids might go off to ride a bunch of attractions and mom might go shopping instead (this is what always happened in my family when I was a kid).

Yes, it would increase the overall number of castmembers required for each attraction, but it would also help keep lines under control.

I'm actually not opposed to the idea of the ticket books coming back. If Disney can make themselves seem like a bargain with a $15 or $25 entry price and then charge per ride, I'd be all for it.

But after decades of all you can eat attraction tickets, I'm not sure that it is possible to put the genie back in the bottle. It would be interesting if Disney did a test somewhere to see what would happen.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Senior Minion

I don't think it will happen in the foreseeable future.

Pre-Pressler, the entire operating philosophy of the Park, from design to admissions, was the creation of a management team that was there for the long haul.

Ticket Books -- where unused tickets were saved, swapped and cherished for months between Disneyland visits by locals and long-distance tourists alike -- was part of that philosophy. The amount of investment in new R&D as a percentage of the Company's profits was part of that philosophy. Walt and Roy's view that capital belonged in the Company, working, instead of being paid in executive bonuses, was part of that philosophy.

In today's post-Pressler era, TDA's revolving door managers are only there for the short term (how many Presidents has Disneyland had in the last 10 years? ). Their operating philosophy is akin to "eat, drink and make profits, for tomorrow we take our bonuses, gild our resumes and move up outta here." Nearly every decision they've made in the last decade, be in attractions, food, merchandise, entertainment, investment in CMs, promotions and admission media -- including and especially the marketing and price points of the AP program -- is the result of that short-term philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    But after decades of all you can eat attraction tickets, I'm not sure that it is possible to put the genie back in the bottle.
    Exactly. But when you think of all the things -- upside and downside -- that a packed-like-sardines Park means to Disneyland's short-term management, vs. what it means to its long-term customers, it is clear that the genie has been granting the real golden wishes to its management masters.

And its masters aren't about to give it up.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 06-18-2010 at 05:47 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Disney/WWE/Anime fan

not really.
    theres too much now..
    if they go by the old books..either many vacations end early..
    or people would spend tons of money on Ds and Es

with the current system..you get alot..for a..major price

• Who are you again?

would defintly decrease crowds

in todays economy an 'E' ticket ride would cost....about $26!
    Hello? I seem to be in some sort of inter dimensional dimension with no way in or out....Send Help! and Pie! pumpkin peferably

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast