Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

It Looks Awesome Im going to check it out tomorrow! and hopefully ride buzz. I like the Nav artwark and on the right hand side of the picture the rock wass .. are they also painting that or is it done?
    Current DL Entertainment Technical Services

Former DCA Attractions CM

• The Uber Film Geek

I really don't see how those two spires would be blocking much. The rocks and the Astro Orbiter are doing the majority of the blocking.
    My DVDs
    "Every view they hold on you's a piano out of tune
    You're an angel, you're a demon, you're just.... human." - James, Lullaby

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by captveg
    I really don't see how those two spires would be blocking much. The rocks and the Astro Orbiter are doing the majority of the blocking.
    For the time being, sure. But hopefully those will be on their way out as well.

Consider the following... similar to the last pic (even have the same colored PeoplMovers at the same spots on the track), but from ground level.

[Photo courtesy of http://www.geocities.com/oooketchup/]

Contrasted with the current set-up

[Courtesy laughingplace]

The latter is so cluttered, the cumulative effect is that of an obstacle course that must be navigated to even get into the place.

Removing one element would be good, but the more, the better.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• The Uber Film Geek

Yes, but those two spires block sky, not anything in the background. :confused:

One thing they need to bring back is the American Flag. But that'll never happen, of course, because America is now the source of all that is evil...
    My DVDs
    "Every view they hold on you's a piano out of tune
    You're an angel, you're a demon, you're just.... human." - James, Lullaby

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    I think they should take a cue from the Small World Clock and take all of the old AA's from T'land attractions and parade them around the track every quarter hour. All the AA's from Carousel, the eyeball from Inner Space, Captain EO characters, KAP the Kaiser aluiminum pig and more. Maybe put them in Peoplemovers and Rocket Rods! And the old 55 T'land World Clock chimes and the TWA Rocket simulates a blast off. Back the the future every hour!!!

I'm not that serious.

Actually that idea sounds really good.

Mod hatter, I agree the bronze entry blocker should really go so that it's more inviting to enter.
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by captveg
    Yes, but those two spires block sky, not anything in the background. :confused:

One thing they need to bring back is the American Flag. But that'll never happen, of course, because America is now the source of all that is evil...
    Re: the American Flag... I think it's more about avoiding the Pax Americana feeling. Along the same lines as the shift from Naval Gray subs to Scientific Yellow. One of the more common themes in futurism is the notion of actual, attainable and sustainable world peace. (After all, we have to unite to fight those darn aliens!) So, sticking the American flag over it all, especially when we already passed a flag on Main St., seems a little out of place.

But back to the spires... Let's imagine that the AstroJunkheap and rockwork were removed. [hitting the magic erase button] I actually wouldn't even mind seeing the little triangular wedge-shaped pieces made flat. (It's easier to see how that would work from an aerial photo.) For the purposes of the thread, picture the black Circlevision and ATIS signs removed. It allows for a deeper view into the land. However, even the design of the 67 TL, pre-spires, draws the eye in. You have the downward slope of the silver gates, ending in brief spires to frame the entrance, and especially the land's "weenie." Then the black attraction signs neither compete with the silver spires or the Rocket Jet in the distance. The giant rocket in the background can do its job, drawing you back into the heart of the land.

The spires, on the other hand, do compete, and keep the eye from looking deep3er. Nad because they not only jut out into the walkway, but also shoot up so high in the sky, it adds to a feeling of claustrophobia. It's especially odd that the tallest one is on the south side of the entrance, adding to a dark shadowy feeling that you can also see with the rockwork and other elements of TL 98. Skyscrapers learned to make stepped buildings so that sunlight at least had a chance of getting down to the street. But TL 98 seems to be all about closing in. Even the curtain wall built over the Mary Blair mural cut out a few extra feet of open space... The spires are just one more element that make it feel as if Tomorrowlans is closing in on you.

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Toys 'R' Us Kid

Looking at the two picture, I think I'm seeing the same towers on either side. this leads me to believe that they are from the pre-1998 Tomorrowland and should be kept. In my option, the rocks to either side of the TL enterance need to be removed, as they cut off the edges of the land's grand vista, and replaced with something about the height of the old flower beds in older picture. Removing some of orbs from the atop the orbiter would be a nice touch and would get rid of some the sky clutter.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by College Zoo
    Looking at the two picture, I think I'm seeing the same towers on either side. this leads me to believe that they are from the pre-1998 Tomorrowland and should be kept. In my option, the rocks to either side of the TL enterance need to be removed, as they cut off the edges of the land's grand vista, and replaced with something about the height of the old flower beds in older picture. Removing some of orbs from the atop the orbiter would be a nice touch and would get rid of some the sky clutter.
    Just for clarification, this is one of the two spires I'm talking about removing:

That one's over Star Tours. You can see it in the 98 picture before its recent paint job, "poking" one of the planets in the AstroObstruction. A smaller, tasteful black sign is over the queue in the circa 67 pic. Star Tours, if I'm not mistaken, had a fairly similar look on its opening day. It wasn't until the 98 makeover that it got the spire with the neon. A somewhat smaller spike was also added to Buzz when it was Rocket Rods.

-- Walt Disney

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)
    I don't see the spires as being as bad. However, the black signs from the earlier pix make the land look smaller than it really is.
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

Quote Originally Posted by ModHatter
    Compare today's entrance to this version, courtesy of 50 Years of Souvenirs:
    Wow. That image just made me have a whole mix of feelings. I remember when TL was by far my favorite land. It just seemed like there were more things to do than the rest of the park.

I agree with the importance of a visual icon to draw the visitor in. Walt Disney would always peek through a guests' perpective when looking at scaled models.

Here's another angle of the old TL entrance:

From donaldlaird.com
    Disneyland allows me to escape the everyday stresses and routines of a Southern Californian resident.

California Adventure brings me right back to the place I was trying to avoid in the first place.

• e komo mai

Tomorrowland does look cluttered. The Astro Orbiter blocking the view can be likened to some cop standing in front of a huge messy accident saying, "Nothing to see here." Lots of times the cop's right.

• Minion

It really is exciting isn't it?
    I can't believe we are having positive things to talk about after so many years.
    thanks for the link, the pictures are great.
    We just bought annual passports for the whole family. I can't wait until May 8th.

Quote Originally Posted by College Zoo
    I completly agree. I don't mind the Orbiter in the enterance. It goes along with the theme of movement for TL that we've been talking about in this forum. But those rocks have got to go. As for the spires, I don't think they block anything, but I do think they are ugly, and they clash with the new paint scheme.

• Minion

I agree about the rocks. I never have liked them, and I never thought they said "tomorrow". I do like the more open expansive entrance. It is really difficult getting through there sometimes, and to do so little.

• Resident Science Nerd

Those rocks

I have kinna mixed feelings about the entrance rocks, I do think they are kind of interesting looking, from a sculptural stand point. But I completly agree that they block the entrance too much, I didn't even realize how annoying they were until I saw the old pictures because I started going to DL right after the '98 re-do.(I actually rode rocket rods...) They are a huge pain to navigate around. Also, the dirty color of the rocks and the harsh edges of the rocks look more like they came from the explosion of a WMD rather that from a "big bright beautiful tommorow". Honestly, even if world war and mass destruction is the future, I can't say it's magical to have that reminder(on the hub of all places!).
    However, I don't think flower beds are right either, they're not exactly futuristic and seem kind of corporate HQ or college campus to me.
    I think we need a happy medium-a lower rock sculpture that doesn't look so dark. Maybe a low, more rounded and undulating sculpture that represents spaceship earth or something. Still sculptural, still something for kids to climb on, still something that provides visual intrest but not something that is enclosing or depressing. And yeah, it needs to be blue, not dirt colored.(although blue and gold might be okay, as long as it's tasteful).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast