Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie from the 80s
    Here's another angle of the old TL entrance:

From donaldlaird.com
    ModHatter, this picture shows that there was a spire above Star Tours since it opened...so that issue has been around for quite a while. I believe that the spires draw attention to the buildings, which seem rather plain and uninteresting in your 67 picture. I think both (now) would look better with chrome spires instead of gold ones (seems to blend better with the skyline...same with the gates on each side of the entrance. As bronze, they seem to compete too much with the focus of the land, which should be the two entrance attractions and the Astro Orbitor.

SuperDuck

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDuck
    ModHatter, this picture shows that there was a spire above Star Tours since it opened...so that issue has been around for quite a while. I believe that the spires draw attention to the buildings, which seem rather plain and uninteresting in your 67 picture. I think both (now) would look better with chrome spires instead of gold ones (seems to blend better with the skyline...same with the gates on each side of the entrance. As bronze, they seem to compete too much with the focus of the land, which should be the two entrance attractions and the Astro Orbitor.

SuperDuck
    It does have part of the spire, which I'm not wild about, but the addition of the copper-y neon spike and the added detail for the 98 overhaul just add another layer of clutter which sent it over the edge.

I'm still inclined to say that the added spires, especially in the 98 version, come off looking like a tarty streetwalker with too much AquaNet, ABBA Blue eyeshadow, mink lashes, and stiletto heels.

And it does draw attention to the very front-most buildings, which means the heart of Tomorrowland suffers.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• șoș Tom șoș

The rocks

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLi
    I have kinna mixed feelings about the entrance rocks, I do think they are kind of interesting looking, from a sculptural stand point. But I completly agree that they block the entrance too much, I didn't even realize how annoying they were until I saw the old pictures because I started going to DL right after the '98 re-do.(I actually rode rocket rods...) They are a huge pain to navigate around. Also, the dirty color of the rocks and the harsh edges of the rocks look more like they came from the explosion of a WMD rather that from a "big bright beautiful tommorow". Honestly, even if world war and mass destruction is the future, I can't say it's magical to have that reminder(on the hub of all places!).
    However, I don't think flower beds are right either, they're not exactly futuristic and seem kind of corporate HQ or college campus to me.
    I think we need a happy medium-a lower rock sculpture that doesn't look so dark. Maybe a low, more rounded and undulating sculpture that represents spaceship earth or something. Still sculptural, still something for kids to climb on, still something that provides visual intrest but not something that is enclosing or depressing. And yeah, it needs to be blue, not dirt colored.(although blue and gold might be okay, as long as it's tasteful).
    Always reminded me of the Fortress of Solitude from the original Richard Dnner Superman movies. If they were painted like ice it would look really crazy, sort of matching the new color scheme too. That and I always thought that should rip off those awesome crystal light fixtures from the Matterhorn and build a constant low tech light show that lights up the planters around Tommorrowland, changing with an etherial music track.

...just another wacky idea I suppose.

• /sigh

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    Always reminded me of the Fortress of Solitude from the original Richard Dnner Superman movies. If they were painted like ice it would look really crazy, sort of matching the new color scheme too. That and I always thought that should rip off those awesome crystal light fixtures from the Matterhorn and build a constant low tech light show that lights up the planters around Tommorrowland, changing with an etherial music track.

It always reminded me of Superman as well.
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks

White rock would still be a bit... much, if not done right. I do like the crystalline idea. I do seem to remember thinking Movieland did a great job making it look snowy and... homey. And maybe instead of looking like this
    /] [\
    Maybe they could be torn out and redone to be more like this
    [\ /]
    Make the space feel more open.

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• With my wife....

.....actually, I kinda like the rocks.....

But if they had to go, I'd say replace them with water fountains. Similar to ah schucks' idea, they could change colors and move to some sort of ethereal, futuristic beat. And for goodness sake, please put more benches in the area, especially if there's a water fountain worth looking at.

Man, you know you're getting old when you want more benches as much as that elusive new thrill ride. I'm going to go remove my dentures and take my afternoon nap, now. :o
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

--Walt Disney

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by E-ticket
    .....actually, I kinda like the rocks.....

But if they had to go, I'd say replace them with water fountains. Similar to ah schucks' idea, they could change colors and move to some sort of ethereal, futuristic beat. And for goodness sake, please put more benches in the area, especially if there's a water fountain worth looking at.

Man, you know you're getting old when you want more benches as much as that elusive new thrill ride. I'm going to go remove my dentures and take my afternoon nap, now. :o
    I like the water fountain idea...but its awfully close to the Little Mermaid ftn area. Maybe mist foutains or something, I dunno.

• the subs were cool maan

or how about that clock they had that told u the time on any place in the world? its on the new mural thing. if they brought back that, that would be cool

• Minion

I have been working on a different idea for Tomorrowland, and this link definitely helped:
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...arplastic.html

First, we have an actual, practical application of solar technology. Use the new infrared solar technology to cover everything from Tomorrowland rooftops to Autopia, Monorail, and PeopleMover cars. Then, use solar as a design metaphor. Consider the following:

The color certainly seems to go with the new paint job being put up. And it combines something familiar with a new, futuristic look. For instance, put the silver back on the silver gate, but fill in the design with the solar power blue. I'll see if I can't Photoshop a mock-up...

-- Walt Disney

I doubt they're just gonna leave that part of the sign blank, they'll most likely do a similar design in the new colors.

• Que que no-tu-rah.

WOW! Thanks for the link. Tomorrowland is beginning to look cool again! I'm hyped to see it up close and personal this weekend. More and more good things seem to be happening at Disneyland these days. Let's hope it keeps going.
    What if the Hokey-Pokey really is what it's all about?

Man I can't wait to see this all in person.....Sunday seems so far away!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234