Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• MILLIONS OF BURRITOS!

New Pirates......heresy?

I might be getting a bit fanatical (I'm famous for that ) but I just read the Dead Men Tell New Tales update, and I think WDI went totally overboard (no pun intended) with the movie theme. Of course, we know that Walt liked changing things, but such things as "a beard made of wiggling octopus tentacles," "skeleton revealing rotting flesh," and "simulated cannonballs passing overhead" would turn Pirates into a strict thrill ride. Which for the majority of us isn't bad. Heck, most all of us (including myself) have seen the movie and loved it. But Walt himself chose funny over scary, and the even sadder part is that fewer kids/families will go into the ride, and more teens/young adults hot off the movie will. Am I seeing a trend here? Turning everything into a thrill ride... catching up with Six Flags...

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Re: New Pirates......heresy?

Overboard? Maybe. I'm not looking forward to the change as well. However, when it's all said and done, this overlay can be removed, and the classic version can be restored.
    -Monorail Man

I think it sounds good and still honors it's predecessor. I will hold my judgement until I see.
    Tricia Jones:When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...
    Brodie: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyFlats
    I might be getting a bit fanatical (I'm famous for that ) but I just read the Dead Men Tell New Tales update, and I think WDI went totally overboard (no pun intended) with the movie theme. Of course, we know that Walt liked changing things, but such things as "a beard made of wiggling octopus tentacles," "skeleton revealing rotting flesh," and "simulated cannonballs passing overhead" would turn Pirates into a strict thrill ride. Which for the majority of us isn't bad. Heck, most all of us (including myself) have seen the movie and loved it. But Walt himself chose funny over scary, and the even sadder part is that fewer kids/families will go into the ride, and more teens/young adults hot off the movie will. Am I seeing a trend here? Turning everything into a thrill ride... catching up with Six Flags...
    Actually to be honest with you, I think the changes are good...

Now, hold on, before you go accuseing me of herrisy at the Church of Walt... Let me explain...

Most people really do not respect POTC... It ticks me off more than anything when mischivous punks try and do stuff to damage the ride's scenery, but it is even worse when you are on a boat and people spend most of the time conversing rather than paying attention...

I am sitting there looking and a skelliton on a pile of stolen loot and two women in front of me are talking about their great aunt Sally who took a trip to Club Med... I don't want to hear it... It isn't important...

They of course are conversing because they have ridden this ride 1000 times and it just simply doesn't change or demand their attention...

If these changes are made to be more interactive with the customers, and in someways makes it a little more invasive while at the same time allowing you to be lost in the ride... I am all for it... And I think it is in the spirit of Walt as well to change the ride to be more interactive to grab the attention of todays guest.

People seem to have a lot less patence today, and when things break your expectation people have a tendancy to notice.

The key however is respecting the orignial artistic work involved in the rides creation... and not dishonoring it... I doubt they will do that... This is not like Golden Dreams, but I think they may have learned the lessons of Pooh... Which was such a travesty...
    Check out my other blog:

• They wanna know, HO!

I agree with coaster3001, I'd wait and see with this one. I like the sound of changes, but on the other hand it's still a werid change.
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

• I'm your huckleberry.

I'm withholding judgement on this one until I see the changes. I'm a huge fan of the movie, and the changes sound intreguing. But..... it won't be Walt's POTC any more and that is disturbing to me.

All in all, the update will have to really wow me, and have no cheapness and cut corners (PC overhaul anyone?) in order for me to be happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

I have mixed feelings. On one hand, Pirates lacks a real plot and this kinda helps that aspect. I find the changes to be all relatively minor.

The problem I have with it is it seems like a "Where's Johnny Depp/Waldo" kind of ride. It feels too goofy to have people pointing at the barrel and commenting "Oh that Sparrow, where will he pop up next?!" I also would prefer him to be IN the jail cell and not laughing from the outside. I never found Sparrow to be this jerkish, and it ruins the irony with dog. It also is confusing because the movie imitated the ride and now the ride is imitating the movie which imitated the ride. ?

I would love to see a Davey Jones AA after seeing the concept design for his character. The one thing Ive always wanted to change was to have a fake fall in the scene where you pass through the collapsing building. Having a beam or two drop a few inches with a loud crumbling sound would be awesome. It would add the suspense of getting through the area before it collapses on top of you.

• e komo mai

I hate to accuse Disney for going overboard with Disneyland. 'Overboard' can be fixed 'ignored' is worse. Disneyland has gone for a long time (pre-Ouimet) without the TLC it deserves. There was/is a lot more focus on WDW because it's such a moneymaker. I'd rather they pay attention to Disneyland instead of letting it rot.

• Gepetto 2

Passing judgment...Looking forward to it! More is more and more causes me to renew. :-) Sounds fun to me!

Heresy would be if they changed Casey Jr to Heimlich or whatever that worm's name was.

Jack fits. I'll smile. Kids will relate.
    http://SpookyBook.com
    'Scary Dark Rides' Now in Hard & Soft Cover!
    The ONLY Dark Ride Book.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Yeah, I'm waiting until I see it to reserve judgement too. I do know they need to be very careful about taking away too much of the classic attraction, but if done right it could be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango
    The one thing Ive always wanted to change was to have a fake fall in the scene where you pass through the collapsing building. Having a beam or two drop a few inches with a loud crumbling sound would be awesome. It would add the suspense of getting through the area before it collapses on top of you.
    Quoted for truth. If that was the kind of changes they were making, I wouldn't have a problem with this revamp.

• ...lurks...

I think as long as it is able to be taken back to it's classic state, I have no issue with it...provided they don't ignore all the other things which are broken/don't work/need replaced from the original ride to do it.

• See you there!

I still remember the discussion (read uproar, all kinds of pro and con and why it was a good thing, why it was a bad thing) surounding the proposed changes the last time Pirates was updated. I remember folks discussing how they THOUGHT the changes were going to be implemented. Well, I think the changes turned out OK, some are a little hokey (just MHO) but overall, I still like POTC.

Now we have a some new changes. From what I've read it seems that they are mainly to make POTC look somethat more like the movies. Well, face it, the majority of Disneyland visitors have seen more Disney movies than they have seen Disneyland, so having the attractions tie more into the movies can serve to make more folks feel more at home, more comfortable, as they will recognize things that they have seen before (in the movies). So, maybe the changes will be good. I'll wait and see.

Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy

• Incognito

Blog Entries

It'll be interesting to see, but I'll miss Paul Frees.

• We set sail for the sky

Sad Re: New Pirates......heresy?

I don't know... I am very very sad to hear about these changes. To be totally fair I know that I should just wait to pass judgement until I actually ride it, but I'm still sad. I rode this ride for the first time as a six year old and every time I ride it, I feel very nostalgic and happy. Now I fear that these changes are going to take that away. I also am very uncomfortable with such major changes to Walt's final masterwork. I think WDI needs to remember that the movie was based on the ride, not the other way around. I don't really understand why they are making these changes anyway... it's not like Pirates has ever had trouble filling the boats.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast