Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Boozer, User, and Loser

Okay obviously there's a lot of passion on this thread. Personally I enjoy reading about the attraction before it officially opens. Unfortunately in the age of the internet, nothing is a secret or surprise anymore. And as for life being unfair, it's only as unfair as you decide to make it.

• Yes ... Wicked! ;)

Well, the thing I don't like about them is ... if they are going to DO a soft opening ... please do it for the ENTIRE DAY! Why tease us??

• That's Hawt

Quote Originally Posted by WickedQueen
    Well, the thing I don't like about them is ... if they are going to DO a soft opening ... please do it for the ENTIRE DAY! Why tease us??
    Lol .... That's Part of the Fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• No bacon; sausage.

That's the reason it's a soft opening. They aren't ready to do it for the entire day. They aren't fully staffed, and I'm sure they are constantly taking stock and reevaluating operating procedures. Plus, while they want people to know about it so they get traffic, I'm sure they don't want to too specific with times so they don't have people camping out or making demands.

• The Magics in the details

Please read my above post... it explains a lot of the reasoning for soft openings.
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place, Welcome!
    Disneyland is Your Land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and youth can saver the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will be a source of joy an inspiration to all the world.
    "
    -- Walter Elias Disney, July 17, 1955 approx 4:35PM

• Banned User

DLResident,
    Let's say Disneyland didn't do soft openings....

Okay, it's the morning of March 17th. Big press event... official opening... huge crowd camps out 4 hours before DL opens, then run straight for the ride.... huge line.

They open the ride... About 3 miniutes into the opening, they fnd that people simply can't load as fast as expected, and there is a big traffic jam.. They try to get a CM moved over to help in the load area... and that CM has to start sending every 3rd car empty to keep there from being safety issues as being are still trying to get seated as the cars leave the load area....

Had there been a soft opening.. they would have learned that they needed to slow the ride vehicles down slightly, and use two loaders.... Or whatever...

Then, 2 hours after operation... the ride goes down and is down for 2 hours... faulty sensor... Irate guests that spent 4 hours camped out are truely upset....

Had there been soft openings, these things would have been fixed.

Then, after the first full day of operation, the maintenance guys go in and find metal shavings.... When running empty, no problem, but when all the cars are full of people, the wheels are rubbing on the side of the track on one particular corner and bushngs need to be installed before it wears the wheels off the cars, so the ride is down for the first three days after the "official opening" while the new bushings are installd.

I'm reminded of an old article from Bob Gurr at MouseInfo... He was involved with designing Autopia cars for the '55 opening. When they got the first cars, he and some other guys were playing with them on the old Disney Studios lot, and they were told to stop "goofing off".

The result was that no "real world" type testing was done prior to the openig of Disneyland. The first day Disneyland was open, half the cars broke down... The aluminum bumpers (purchased to promote Kaiser Aluminum, a park sponsor) were all bent to heck the first day... Worse, the ridged fiberglass bodies would shatter.... kids were losing teeth running over curbs.... New bumpers... bodies... steering wheel padding.... seat belts.... all needed to be done in the first month of up and down operation.. Not to mention pretty much redesigning the cars from the wheels up to withstand the operational requirements of the "real world".

I know everyone wants to be first.... But if Disney didn't do soft openings, and just opened on the official date, then there would be many problems..... The ride would be up and down, empoyees wouldn't know how to handle the ride, maintenance would be playing catch up.... People would be screaming that Disney should do something to ensure the ride can actually work correctly after the opening.

Well, that is what they are doing. They do soft openings... during a soft openig, the ride may go up and down, and people can't really complain.. heck, the ride isn't even open yet.... you knew we were just testing!

• Santa Barbara, CA

Broadway has had previews for years. They even sell cheaper tickets to them. You know that the bugs are not worked out. So the Chopper falls on Miss Saigon?.. Who cares. It's a preview. Same with soft openings. The fans are a minor segment to them. I love soft openings if for nothing else, not having a 3 hour line diminish the value of the 2 minute experience.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Minion

DL resident, I think you have to chalk this up to the fact that you choose to be a "Disney Insider". The average visitor traveling from far and wide, isn't ever going to know or care about soft openings. They are necessary for smooth operation.
    Those of us who wish to be in the know (so to speak), will ecounter spoilers. But nothing could shake my glee right now for Disneyland, I think we may be winning!

" A dream is a wish your heart makes"

• Disneyland with Bob Ross

As far as soft opening being fair or not...I think they are neither. Being in the right place at the right time perhaps lucky. If anything, the people who view the ride during soft opening are more prone to disappointment than a person who rides after a grand opening. The reason I say that is if the ride breaks down, certain show elements aren't functioning. In all seriousness were you the kid picked last in kickball or something? I sometimes can't believe how much adults whine about the most simple of things. Why stress over things you can't control. Beyond me.....
    When living in Vegas - Sin as the sinners do!

Find me on MySpace

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by XterraceEmp
    In all seriousness were you the kid picked last in kickball or something? I sometimes can't believe how much adults whine about the most simple of things. Why stress over things you can't control. Beyond me.....

I think that is more than a bit harsh.

I remember when I was 18 and "Return of the Jedi" opened.... A bunch of us ditched school, got to the theater at about 5AM for a noon first showing.... Went back to school for the last could of periods.... Blabbed to everyone that Luke and Leha were brother and sister...

It's cool to be first.

Now, they do midnight showings of movies..... Midnight book sales so you can be "first" to get the new Harry Potter or whatever..... Midnight video game sales.

But in reality, you're not the first. The book gets read by thoudands of people before it hits the stands. Movies do dozens of test market showings. Video games are heavily tested by select "beta testers".

You can't just "turn on" a ride and have everything be perfect. Disney uses Soft Openings to work out the kinks......

Sucks for those that wanted to camp out to be "first".... necessary for the company to get it right.

• that's right!

have some self control to not click on "I went on Buzz Lightyear" threads, then.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    I think that is more than a bit harsh.
    It's not harsh. I was one of the kids who got picked last for everything and i find that quote to be friggin' hilarious. Why must everything be PC?

• My Children's Father

Restaurants sometimes have soft openings as well. Free food might even be part of the deal ...
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Race Car Driver

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

good coffee!
    Last edited by Snacks; 03-10-2005 at 05:25 AM.

• OM NOM NOM

Yeah, that happened to me at a Ruby's that just went up in Long Beach. We all got one free entree, one free shake, and the whole table could share an appetizer. Sure, the servicee was a little slow, and the food took forever, but hey- it was free!! If you ask me, soft openings are just another random win, like being asked to do a paid marketing survey or getting airtime on a show. Just hope that you happen to be at the right place at the right time.
    Make something Idiot-Proof, and someone will build a better Idiot.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast