Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Reaver of Souls

Another example - I'm on several different video game tester lists, and often get sent games months before their release, so I, as someone not involved with the project, can play it, report bugs or crashes, graphical errors, etc. Is it fair that I get to play some games months before their release? To some, no. To others, yes. To the company, definately. Testers (and soft opening riders) are the companies last line of defence before releasing a product to the market. We perform a service, plain and simple. Some people wouldn't want to go on a soft opening for a ride like Buzz, because there might be things missing/being worked on, and you won't get the whole effect. I love being among the first. If SM has a soft opening, you'd better believe I'm there! Might have to call in sick for that one... *cough, cough*
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• wasting time

Quote Originally Posted by DLResident
    I might be the only one who thinks this way, but I hope there WON'T be soft openings for Space Mountain. It's not fair that some people who happen to be in the right place at the right time get to experience it when the rest of us have to wait for the official open date. It's also not fair that when people do get to experience an attraction before it's Grand Opening, through a soft opening, they come to a Disney site the next day and basically posts about the attraction, or maybe posts a video clip of it which ruins it for the rest of us who have not ridden it yet.

What's the point of calling it a soft opening when everyone knows about it. Someone started a thread on a another site stating, "Buzz Lightyear to have soft opening on March 4th." And this poster said this the day before. When you make a public announcement like that, it's really not a soft opening because everyone knows about it and everyone will make their way to Disneyland to ride it. Soft openings are supposed to be UNannounced, making it a surprise to everyone so that NOone knows about it before hand. I think Disney needs to be more careful when information is given to their employees about certain events that are not supposed to be announced until a later date. Or they should at least make it so that no employees knaw about it until the day of...

I also hope there is no AP preview thing. I have an AP, but I would rather save my experience when it is officially opens the public and I can experience it with my family.
    Who said life was fair ? Sometimes good things happen to those who just happen to be in the right place at the right time. Good for them but no need to be jealous.

As for leaking information to the internet, you don't have to look at the photos or read the text of those threads & they're usually labeled rather well (ex: EXCLUSIVE! First pics of Space Mtn!) so you can avoid them.

Soft openings give the CM's an opportunity to operate the ride with regular park guests as if it were a regular operating day, also enabling them to make any necessary modifications to make sure the ride operates as smoothly as possible once the official date comes. Regardless of whether or not an unofficial public announcement is made, the ride is still not officially open cause it's still in final testing phases, so it is still a soft opening.

Now as for leaking information, the CM's are not supposed to. If TDA didn't announce the soft openings to the employees it would be neglegant because the CM's have to know what's going on in the park so when the park guests have questions, they can give them some answers.

And as for your A.P., even if there was an A.P. event...
    YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ATTEND JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE ONE!

• Banned User

I think most people are missing the main point.

DLResident wanted to be among the first to ride. Hey, it's cool to be first. I too would love to be among the first. I'd have made a special rode trip just to be "among the first", had a firm date of when "among the first" was going to happen.... Tens of thousands will have ridden prior to the March 17th official oppening.... Not worth a road trip to be "the first group of people after the first tens of thousands".

Unfortunatly, working the bugs out in advance of the official opening is far more important than giving everyone equal oppertunity to be among the first.....

I personally love that they have the soft openings. As Ive said in other posts, my brother is handicapped. This way, I knew ahead of time what kind of ride buzz was so we knew if he could go on it (meaning if it was like space mtn or something, he couldnt) AND since one of the cars is wheelchair accessable, it gave the CM's another opportunity to "practice"(for lack of a better word, sorry) having to stop the ride, load and unload my brother and I.

• I like Cheese...

They do the same thing with software - it's called a beta test. I think it would be negligent to open the rides (or ship software) before properly testing. The only way you can test something completely is to test it in the actual environment which means real people.

As for not fair, what is fair? is it fair that I show up at the park and a ride that I want to go has gone 101? Is it fair that I got stuck in traffic on the way to the park and missed a show I wanted to see? I think Disney should figure out when I want to visit, and call me before I drive over to the park and let me know the status of every attraction I might want to ride, and give me a traffic report too, so I know when to leave to make it on time.

Lets all just be glad that these rides are opening ahead of schedual and not behind.

• All you need is LOVE

Quote Originally Posted by coaster3001
    Lets all just be glad that these rides are opening ahead of schedual and not behind.

I 2nd that

OK, I Get It. Life Isn't Fair. Say It 50 More Times And I Might Actually Grasp The Concept!

Now people are just being insulting, particularly poster Whatever.

• I like Cheese...

OK, I Get It. Life Isn't Fair. Say It 50 More Times And I Might Actually Grasp The Concept!

Now people are just being insulting, particularly poster Whatever.
    Thank you

If you think that every post is directed at you personally your skin is way too thin or your ego is way too big, or both. If you don't want your subjects commented on then don't post to a public discussion forum.

What did you expect when you post a position that most Disney insiders (i.e. members of this board) would be diametrically opposed to? (It should be fairly simple to discern that most folks here would be in favor of soft openings, after all.)

There is nothing wrong with posting a contrary idea, and there is nothing wrong with attacking the idea, as long as personal attacks avoided.

If you think I'm the most insulting, what about this post?:
    Quote Originally Posted by Snacks
    OMG DLR you sound like a whinny little kid.....
    so what who cares if its open for a soft opening.....If you have a problem with others posting a spoiler dont read the thread..
    not everyone can be there for the opening so its nice if you get the chance to ride it earlier....
    honestly sounds like you were stomping your feet while you were typing.....

Grow Up!

• I like Cheese...

BTW:

Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair. Life Isn't Fair.

I've experienced the soft openings of hotels, like Treasure Island and The Venetian, and sure, the service is slow and sloppy. But hey, you get a discount and you can say you were first!

To Evil Minion:
    I am a wolf but I like to wear sheep's clothing...

• wasting time

I'll tell you somethin'; I am a demon (some say my biggest weakness).

I am a bonfire, I am a vampire, I'm waiting for my moment...

Garbage, Wiltern Theater April 11, SCHOOL NIGHT...Damn....

Oh, and I still think soft openings are useful to get the kinks out, no matter who it is who ends up riding. I just think it seems cool for cast members to have that privledge.

• Rock Star Minion

Wow. I start a thread and get attacked. wonderful. That's what I get for expressing my opinion. Don't worry people, thanks to three or so of you, I won't ever say something isn't fair again.
    I hope you've learned your lesson.
    Life's not fair, you see I, was to be king. And you, you will not see the light of another day, adieu...

• Back home :-(

I'm for soft openings, because I was one of those people who got to "experience" a ride before the official opening. I live about 1500 miles away from Disneyland, so to be able to ride the TOT before it opened (even though it was only like 4 days before the official opening) was a real treat. Otherwise, I would have waited until my next trip, which isn't until February 2006.

I understand your concern about the fairness in how the soft openings are conducted, though I don't agree with it. However, I tend to be of the group who says I'd rather have a soft opening than a ride that breaks down on opening day.

As for people being rude on the boards, I've found that these boards (most of the time) have the nicest bunch of people on them. You have to remember that not everyone is going to agree with you and some people are going to say things just to get you riled up.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast