Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Re: Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland leftovers

I am going to have to go look for those buttes either in July or November. The Mine Train is dearly missed. It will be nice to add those pictures to my collection! Thanks for your detailed report!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• waitin' to board

Nice pics and write up....I was too young to ride it, so this look back was very interesting.

• Inhospitable about happy

Very nice post. Maybe you could try to add a shot of the leaping trout, one of the most charming holdovers and hidden tributes to the old ride, IMO.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• Johnny and Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Victoria View Post
    The interior of that tunnel still exists, and is still in use. I saw the other end while running the 5k, it's behind and to the left of the Skyway station. Not sure what it's being used for, though it could be a paint shop.

EDIT: Here's a picture of it, taken from the road between Casey Jr. and PFF. I've circled the opening in red.
    Last edited by dfan07; 06-27-2010 at 02:20 PM.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by dfan07 View Post
    The interior of that tunnel still exists, and is still in use. I saw the other end while running the 5k, it's behind and to the left of the Skyway station. Not sure what it's being used for, though it could be a paint shop.

EDIT: Here's a picture of it, taken from the road between Casey Jr. and PFF. I've circled the opening in red.
    I thought that the Fantasyland/Frontierland service vehicle tunnel to the left of it was longer than that, to where they would intersect... Makes sense to me. (That's why I wanted to go pace it off before committing to the guess.)

Can't use it for much more than an out of the weather parking/charging spot for an electric work vehicle, but it would be good for that.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Disneyland History Lover

Quote Originally Posted by dfan07 View Post

Thank you so much for sharing that photo! It puts to rest the mystery of what's on the other side. It also clearly has some depth to it. I wonder about how long it is from one end to the other. I recall reading once that the control pumps for the geysers were located in that tunnel.

• Collision speed....FULL!

There are 3 tunnels in that area, all right next to each other; one is the service road that goes under the old skyway station, one goes to the Big Thunder Ranch Barn (the one dfan07 has circled), and the other goes to the mine tunnel that being discussed here (which, contrary to popular belief, is NOT the spur that lead to the maintenance area for the trains; the actual turn-out for the maintenance came out of the caverns farther down. The tunnel seen here was most likely used to actually take the trains off the ride and onto a truck, as with opening and closing of the ride). That half-buried tunnel now is used for one of the satellite paint shops; although sealed off, it's quite obvious backstage that it was a tunnel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123