• A Malice in Wonderland...

I was touched on Haunted Mansion...

What a provacative title right? Anyways, I was touring the Haunted Mansion with a couple of friends and just generally having a good time with the tour guide. Nothing annoying like ruining his spiel or reciting the ghost host, but just playing back and forth with our tour guide and he (as many CM's are) was doing a spectacular job of staying in character as we would gasp, groan, or look horrified as was appropriate to his remarks. (This is one of my favorite things at the parks when a CM will really get into the mood with you, I've found the mansion hosts and those at Tower of Terror are especially good at this). Anyways, the host followed our party, showing up unexpectedly behind us in the portrait corridor. As we were exiting, he showed up behind me and noting that I hadn't noticed him he gently tugged me on the shoulder startling me.

It was pretty creepy and well done however, I thought that CM's weren't supposed to touch guests. Is this true? (Obviously excluding meet and greets) I don't mean to complain though as it truly creeped me and my companions out and really made that trip special. Anyone have anything similar happen and what is Disney's policy on this exactly?
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

• Fantasmic! Fanatic

Re: I was touched on Haunted Mansion...

When ever I go I usually see my sister working as an attractions CM and hug her and talk if her position at the time lets her. She works classics or the Matterhorn. Has never been a problem but of course we are family.

• The Study of Wumbo

I don't really don't understand your situation. And I was also distracted by your lack of use of the proper term when it comes to Haunted Mansion "hosts," butlers/maids.
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• world class bilge rat

The CMs on the Storybook land boats certainly touch you as they help you into the boat, as do the ones on Jungle Cruise.

Certainly, they're not allowed to touch anyone in an inappropriate way, but for safety or while in character, I don't see a problem.

Rob

• =)

Yeah, there's no cast-wide edict against all physical contact with guests. I don't know what specifically is allowed for the purposes of getting into character, though.

• Blew By You

Darn, I was expecting more haunted moments or stories.

I had a CM in the HM reach around the side of the Doombuggie at the start of the ride and scare the living snot out of me once, and Maynard once put paper napkins on my wife's & my heads in the ETR, "for protection," but no one's physically touched me since the time I was refused entry for having a Mohawk, torn jeans & combat boots back in the '80s.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    Darn, I was expecting more haunted moments or stories.
    I thought somebody grabbed your butt...

• Disney Boi

Get Over it all in good fun gezzz
    Disneyland trips 03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10,11
    Walt Disney World first trip December 11th-18th

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

I'd say this was a no-harm-done scenario, as it was keeping with interactions you had been having with the CM and both of you clearly understood the 'spirit' (heh heh) of the interaction, and it added to the experience. I am sure there are specific rules of what are and aren't allowed, though not their exact contents, and the CM felt confident enough that this was 'acceptable' for the specific situation. The Mansion CM's after all do have dialogue and behavior that Disney management knows might frighten some children and guests, and you being an adult, this was perhaps just keeping within the boundaries of what is acceptable for that attraction, and not done in an inappropriate manner in any way.