Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Clean Cup! Move Down!

Girl's Only Trip - 6/23-6/28

Just came back from a Girl's Only trip to "the land"! Here's the first day of our trip report. Enjoy! More to come....

-Dr.A
    ----------------------------------------------------------

“Girls Only” trip – 6/23 to 6/28
    Roll Call: DrAlice (last trip -10/08) & Ducky4Donald (last trip - 7/07)

Day 1 (Wednesday, 6/23):

·Drive, drive, get stuck in traffic, drive some more (took us 9+ hours from the Sacramento area!!!)
    ·Check in at Best Western Stovall’s on Katella
    ·Throw stuff in the room and go to the parks!!!

Today’s fun is at Disneyland!

Here’s what we did…
    ·Reservations for early dinner at Café Orleans- had the chicken sandwich and garlic fries… yummy, but overpriced -even for Disney

·Rides/Attractions (in order of my memory, ha!):

oCastle Walk-through – first time for both of us – Loved it! Glad it is back!

oMad Tea Party – spin, spin, spin, spin, spin, spin, then lean back!!

oIt’s a small world (first time to see the changes) – Overall, we liked the additions. We thought that most of the characters were done well and fit in with the style of the other dolls or the scene that they were in. However, Ducky4Donald HATED the Donald Duck addition to the Latin America room. She didn’t think it fit at all (we suspect she is really just having flashbacks from the Mexico ride at EPCOT that she didn’t like). Also, we both thought that the US room was lacking. The dolls on the left side don’t move at all, and we thought that just made it too static compared to everything else. Finally, I thought the Woody and Jessie dolls looked a little weird (well, creepy, actually – haha). Despite those things, overall we give it a thumbs up.

o
    Haunted Mansion –Madam Leota was floating and the hidden mickey in the party room was present!

oPirates of the Caribbean - the crab was present and pinching!

oDisneyland Railroad

oBuzz Lightyear’s Astro Blasters – I won!

oInnoventions (Ducky4Donald’s first visit since the "dream house" addition) We enjoyed watching the Peter Pan storytelling, and the addition of the "design your future" questionnaire from EPCOT cracked us up, but we didn't stay long. Digital photo frames are nice and all, but there are rides to ride and ice cream to be eaten!

Below are some details from Innoventions that cracked us up..

·Fantasmic! - (First viewing since the changes) Loved it! As far as we could tell, everything seemed to work and looked great!
    oThank you, thank you, thank you to the group of off-duty cast
    members that let us sit with them in their favorite spot!! We had a
    great view of the show!! You rock!!

We had a great time on Wednesday, despite being fairly exhausted from the drive down. We managed to stay until midnight and then dragged our tired butts back to the hotel to rest for the next day.

A note on Stovall's: Our room was on the Coco's side of the hotel and directly faced the door to the kitchen. This doesn't seem like a bad thing until you are awakened in the middle of the night by the sound of Coco's employees dragging the dumpster around and throwing garbage into it. Our recommendation: bring earplugs!!! Oh, and don't forget to turn your A/C on - we came back to a very hot room. Oopsie.

Tune in tomorrow for a report of our World of Color adventures.... Same bat time, same bat channel... yadda yadda...

• Minion

Re: Girl's Only Trip - 6/23-6/28

9 hours driving to DL? and i thought 45mins was far for me.
    thanks for the trip report

More! =D

• formerly PretzelSouls!

We want more! Loving it!
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Keep them comin!
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

awesome ! more plz. and that was nice of them to let you sit with them . oh and was that a real thing the guinea pig thing?
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.--Albert Einstein

• ohai

Wonderful TR! I can't wait to go next Friday! 1 entire week!

• Clean Cup! Move Down!

Quote Originally Posted by esquivel View Post
    awesome ! more plz. and that was nice of them to let you sit with them . oh and was that a real thing the guinea pig thing?
    It's on a "bulletin board" in innoventions by the health games. My husband was always part of studies in college (for extra money - ha!) so I thought it was really funny. You know, it's the little details like that at Disneyland that make it so cool.

Ok, day 2 is on its way......

• Grumpy is as Grumpy Does!

HEY!!! How's come I didn't get invited to the girls only trip?... oh ya.. wrong plumbing... Glad you ladies had a GREAT trip!

• Clean Cup! Move Down!

Ok, here is Day 2. It has lots of pics!! Toward the bottom is a recount of our World of Color extravaganza. Hope you enjoy!

-DrA
    ---------

Day 2 – (Thursday, 6/24)

Today’s fun is at Disney(‘s) California Adventure – it’s a World of Color day for us!

Here’s what we did…

·After a Coco’s- dumpster-banging-not-so-restful night (see previous post), we stumbled downstairs and grabbed some hardboiled eggs and pancakes from the continental breakfast at the hotel. I also packed our bag with some cheerios for the park.

·Ducky4Donald grabbed some coffee from LaBrea Bakery in DTD (they were SLOOOOWWWWW) and we got in line to enter the park early. We have a WOC dining package reservation, so our goal was to ride Midway Mania before it becomes “Wait in Line Forever” Mania.

Ducky4Donald enjoying her morning “liquid motivation”.

I have NEVER seen this many people waiting to get into DCA (this is about 9:15am). Most of these people would end up in the World of Color Fastpass line. Gotta love the World of Color Madness….

* The gates opened at 9:30am and we made our way to the rope between Grizzly Peak and Bugs Land. Rope Drop was at 10am.

GLOWFest “decorations”. I stand by my opinion that these are hideous.

even the monkey is confused by the neon…

·Rides/Attractions (again, in order of memory - which is not improving with age!)
    oToy Story Midway Mania! (Ducky4Donald’s first ride – Loved it! She beat my accuracy, but I beat her points! Neither of us got the car’s high score )

(BTW, LOVED the new theming on the Games of the Boardwalk! We can’t wait for them to do the same with the facades on the stores. They look really tacky now in comparison.)

oCalifornia Screamin’ (twice) – 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!
    oMulholland Madness (Ouch! My knees get banged up every time!)
    oWe stared at Fun Wheel and Silly Symphony Swings – chickened out (first is high, the second might be pukey). We have 4 more days, maybe we’ll get brave later…

divers working on WOC show platform

oGolden Zephyr - "rapid fire" on-ride photos in 3, 2, 1:

Silly Symphony Swings

World of Color viewing area (Paradise Park)

The Little Mermaid ride construction (can't wait!!!)

Route 66 area construction

oAnimation Academy: Donald Duck! Yay!! If you have never done this, we highly recommend it! Lots of fun (and air conditioned!) and much easier than you think to get a character that looks good. See, here’s my Donald, and I’m no artist:

oAladdin – Ducky4Donald fell asleep. You know you are getting old when….

oMonsters, Inc. - “Hey, ladies in the 2nd row. Get me a churro.”

oBlue Sky Cellar Preview Center - Can’t wait for the Little Mermaid!! Poor unfortunate souls that we have to wait....

Model of the ride

Concept Art of the layout of the ride

oRedwood Creek Challenge Trail

Rock climbing Snow White.... only at the Disneyland Resort!

oSoarin’ over California (mmmmm orange blosssoms…)

·World of Color!!!
    oWe reserved a dining package at Wine Country Trattoria – we had the beef tenderloin. Service was good (although we kept thinking that our waiter looked like Tom Morrow.. haha!) and food was yummy.

Salad with goat cheese. (Which DrAlice forgot that she doesn't like. blgh..)

mmm beefy...

DrAlice couldn’t resist getting a Glowtini

oAfter dinner, we took ourselves and FastPasses to the viewing area (around 7:30pm)
    oWe made our way to the fence at the front of the dining package area (center area near play fountains). We were just above the “boardwalk” splash zone. We settled in for a long wait until the 9pm show. At this point, the crowds were fairly light. Here’s our viewpoint:

oBy 8:15pm, the crowds looked like this:

oPreshow entertainment was fun! We were in the Mike section.

Almost time to start!!!!

oI didn’t take any pics during the show because I wanted to watch it with my eyes, not my camera!

oOur microreview of the show (small spoiler alert!): AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Loved it, Loved it, Loved it! Well, except for the “dad???” section… stupid show designers trying to make us cry… and succeeding…

Comments on the viewing area
    :
    Why, why why did they build the viewing area with FLAT tiers??? Anyone who is not standing at the front of the tier is going to have a really obstructed view of the show. I heard a number of disappointed comments from people standing behind us during the show that couldn’t see. We actually felt bad for the kids of the family behind us and let them stand in front of us. If we hadn’t done that, they wouldn’t be able to see anything but our backsides! (Or, their parents would’ve put them on their shoulders and then NO ONE would be able to see…. Haha) After the show, a couple approached a nearby cast member upset that they couldn’t see anything. “We had a Fastpass and we STILL couldn’t see!! How did these people (pointing to us.. haha) get to stand in front?” He said, “They came early and parked it.” Yup, pretty much. So, if you want to see, make sure you get your family to the viewing area before they let you in, so you can be one of the first in to pick your spot. In summary: thumbs up for the show, thumbs down on the viewing area.

·World of Color – part 2
    oAfter the first showing, we decided to wait around for the second show to answer the question, “What does the show look like from other areas on the bay?”
    o Well, the short answer is “it depends on where you are”. See for yourself...

Behind the show
    – next to the FunWheel. Mist Screens look good, but you can’t see the little “bubble screens” and you lose the “depth” of the water jets. The individual jets are still pretty, though.

Under the Silly Symphony Swings
    Can’t see the Mist Screens or “bubble screens” AT ALL. You’ll get a better view of the jets and their different heights than from the FunWheel view, but still not as good as from the viewing area.

Between viewing area and the Golden Zephyr – Can see all elements, but somewhat obstructed view due to the crowd. You WILL get wet!

*began rant* At this point we thought maybe we could squeeze into the viewing area at the back of the crowd to see the view. No go. Even three quarters of the way through the show, cast members would not let us into the Fastpass area and we were forced into the roped-off walkway and told to keep moving. Why??? I understand only letting Fastpass holders in that area before the show starts, but once it is fairly full and the show has already started, it doesn’t seem like it would matter that much. Considering the demand for the show and the difficulty for many to get a Fastpass and a good viewing location, it seems that they would have less angry guests if you could just sneak into the back to see once it started. Oh well, what do I know? *end rant*

·GLOW Fest

oWe did a quick walkthrough on the way out… The music was decent and it looked like fun, but we were TIRED so we didn't stay. There were not that many people there, but it was after 11pm.

o

Oh GLOW Fest dancers, I’m sorry you have to wear that “80s in space” neon nightmare

Kids having fun mimicking the “GLOW Fest Dancers” . (A little further down the street, we saw adults doing the same thing!)

After not having much sleep and a fun-filled day of rides and shows, we dragged ourselves back to the hotel. We started to get ready for bed and after being back for about 5 minutes, Ducky4Donald came out of the bathroom to find DrAlice sound asleep on her bed with the lights on. (I have no memory of going to bed!) I guess I was tired. Well, you know, I didn’t have the Aladdin nap.

Tune in tomorrow (or maybe later today) for a recount of Day 3, our 2nd day at Disneyland, including adventures on the Rivers of America, flights to Endor and a mountain in space, and lunch at the Carnation Cafe. Are you excited?? I know I am...

-DrA

• Clean Cup! Move Down!

Day 3 – Friday, 6/25 – Disneyland, part 2!

After an awesome night’s sleep (with earplugs!), and some breakfast at the hotel, we headed to Disneyland at 8am.

On our way down Main Street, we stopped and made a reservation at Carnation Café for lunch.

Here’s what we did:

Star Tours - Ducky4Donald, not having ridden in years, wanted to ride before the upcoming changes. This ride makes DrAlice pukey, so she went to get Space Mountain Fastpasses while Ducky rode. Unfortunately, Ducky4Donald realized that this ride now makes her pukey too.
    It’s too bad, this ride is really fun. Stupid carsickness.

Captain EO – Wow, this is just as lame as I remember. Hahaha… Michael Jackson was such a force when it came to music and dance. Not so much with the acting. “HOOTER!” *whine whine whine*

Space Mountain
    - We both realized that our trip was lacking something – we hadn’t ridden this yet!!! NOW, we are having a Disney vacation.

(Sorry to whoever's face I blocked with my arm - oopsie!)

Explorer Canoes – our guide was upstaged by the baby ducks.. haha

Mark Twain – enjoyed checking out the new additions; the mountain lions that people complained about initially have been overgrown by the plants now – they don’t looks so bad.

real duck on a fake moose – ha!

Haunted Mansion
    – hurry baaaaack.. (Leota still floating, hidden mickey still there)

Pirates - at some point during our trip, the Davy Jones fog projection wasn't working - just a dark tunnel

Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room
    – Let’s all sing like the birdies sing…

Omnibus
    – believe it or not, this was our first Main St. vehicle ride! We rode the return trip (hub to town square)

Disney Gallery – Yay! Glad it is back – even if it’s not in the right place.

Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln – Are we the only ones that think having a giant poster of Miley Cyrus placed right after the patriotic moments of Lincoln a little jarring??? Really? Miley Cyrus?

Lunch at Carnation Café – Ducky4Donald had the meatloaf, DrAlice had the steak melt. Both were yummy!! (And reasonably priced!) And apparently we were really hungry, because I didn’t take my typical food pictures.

Disneyland Railroad to Fantasyland – on our way to watch the parade

Time for the parade!

Celebrate! A street party – We enjoyed this, despite it not being a typical parade. The dancers were awesome, and the whole atmosphere was very fun.

Overheard conversation: “Her hopes are dashed because the cast member said they only let little kids dance on the street” “Oh, we’ll just see about that!” Unfortunately, we moved so I don’t know if she got her wish or not. haha

It’s a small world

Finding Nemo Submarines – (Ducky4Donald’s first ride!) Somewhere, beyond the sea…

Monorail – Our first ride on the Mark VII

Billy Hill and the Hillbillies – Love these guys! Did the show get shorter, or was it our imagination?

The rest of the evening is a bit of a blur but it included some combination of the following:

* Dinner of carried-in sandwiches, wheat thins, and trail mix
    * Ice cream from the walk-up counter on the old flower market street
    * Pin shopping

Thunder Mountain Railroad (many times that evening!) – watch that goat!! At some point during the night, the exhaustion silliness set in. DrAlice got to laughing mid-ride and couldn't stop. If you saw a 30-something crying at the end of the ride, she wasn't scared, she just couldn't stop laughing. (This was followed by a quick jog to the "potty ride".)

Haunted Mansion

Pirates

Tarzan’s Treehouse (It will always be the Swiss Family Treehouse to us!!)

Indiana Jones

Jungle Cruise – had an AWESOME skipper, but didn’t catch his name

Space Mountain

Mad Tea Party

Matterhorn – we tried sitting by ourselves for the first time. Both of us were thrown around our bobsled, and both of us got banged up. Either sitting by yourself is not a good idea, or we are getting old.

Another fun-filled day..... Next up, Day 4: California Adventure, Part 2. This includes many trips to the animation academy, the Pixar Play Parade, and a visit to the opening show of Glowfest. Until next time....

- Dr.A
    Last edited by DrAlice; 07-01-2010 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Type-o!!

• Minion

Great TR so far, good reading + nice pics.

• waitin' to board

Nice TR.....thanks for posting....

• Clean Cup! Move Down!

Oopsie Note: Ok, after I looked at my pictures again, I realized that we watched the opening show of GlowFest on Day 5, not Day 4. Sorry that I lied in the last post. If you really want to see that section (I know you are just clamoring to see dudes in fluorescent Marvin Martian helmets), you will just have to wait for the next post. Anyhoo, on to Day 4!!

Day 4 – Disney(‘s) California Adventure, part 2! (Sat. 6/26/10)

Another good night’s sleep (thanks to those handy dandy ear plugs), a breakfast of hard-boiled eggs and French toast sticks and it’s back to the parks!

Arrived at DCA for the 9:30am gate opening. Got some coffee and a snack at Baker’s Field Bakery (aka “the coffee train”) in Sunshine Plaza and headed to the bug’s land rope to wait for rope drop.

Here’s what we did:

Toy Story Midway Mania (twice? It’s starting to be a bit of a blur.)

California Screamin’ (many times throughout the day)

Mickey’s FunWheel – We finally got the guts to ride it!!!

(stationary bucket, of course – the smell of vomit coming from the exit trash can confirmed that we didn’t want to ride a swinging bucket!!)

Ducky4Donald ready to face her fear!

We were both pretty terrified as our bucket slowly climbed up to the top. But then you know what happened? We realized that we had a great view of the Cars Land construction and we were suddenly distracted from the fear of heights. Nerdiness trumps fear! Who knew?

Cars Land Construction:

We’d ride this again – it was fun! (once we stopped being terrified.. haha)

World of Color viewing area and show platform:

Silly Symphony Swings – nope, still didn’t ride. One fear-conquering session is enough for one day. We still have tomorrow, right?

Monsters, Inc. – DCA needs more dark rides… just sayin’

Animation Academy – We learned that you can ask the cast member at the entrance what the schedule is. Because of this, we visited a total of 3 times today: Piglet, Dopey, and Jack Skellington

DrAlice’s rendition of Dopey

Sorcerer’s Workshop – We sang The Bare Necessities. Badly.

Turtle Talk with CrushVERY funny show due to non-responsive/confused kids. Wait, I mean it was tooootally awesome, dudes! Righteous!!! Righteous!!!!

Heimlich’s Chew Chew Train – the watermelon was not juicy today… lame

Francis’ Ladybug Boogie (aka Lazy Man’s Tea Cups) “The wheel does not turn. If you want your bug to spin faster, sit closer to the door.”

Flik’s Flyers – good views of the trolley construction in front of the ToT. Which I, apparently, did not take pictures of. Oh well.

Millions of peaches, peaches for me....

Lunch at Farmer’s Market – mmm corndogs…

Soarin’ Over California (twice)

Milkshakes at San Andreas Shakes – mmmm cookies n cream deliciousness

Pixar Play Parade – They really should call this the Pixar “Spit at you” parade. Entertaining, but wet.

this guy got me right in the eye!

acrobatic rats!

ooooooo… ugh, right in the face again

Dinner at Pizza Oom Mow Mow (a first for both of us)– salad and Hawaiian pizza for both of us – yummy! One thing we both thought about as we sat outside eating. It seemed weird to be eating in a surfer-themed shop without surf rock playing. No Dick Dale? No Ventures? hmmm....

Our plan was to do a crazy day of Park Hopping on Sunday and start with 7am early entry into Disneyland. So… we decided to leave a little early to get a good night’s sleep for the next day.

On the way out, we witnessed some excitement….

While pin shopping (again) at PT Flea Market, a family came in with frantic parents. The mother kept shouting that they had an emergency. It took everyone a bit by surprise and all of us sort-of stopped and stared at her to try and understand what she was trying to tell us. Then she exasperatedly pointed to her son in dad’s arms. The lower part of his face was covered in blood, with teeth marks in his lower lip. He wasn’t crying, and was pretty much the picture of shock. Apparently he fell and bit through his lip! Poor little guy. The cast members made quick work of calling 911 and getting him to the nearby first aid center. I hope he was ok!!!

On that note, we left the park. We made a quick stop by guest relations to make a reservation for breakfast at the Carnation Café. Finally we did some more souvenir shopping at the World of Disney store on the way back to the hotel.

The 5th and final installment is coming soon. It will tell tale of our final day’s park hopping adventure, which includes a harrowing evacuation from Splash Mountain!

Will they finally brave the Silly Symphony Swings?

Will DrAlice have another hysterical laughing fit on Thunder Mountain Railroad?

Will they make it from 7am early entry to park closing at midnight or will they have to give up early due to 5 days of exhaustion?

Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion…..

• Future theatre actress <3

Where the crypt doors creak and the tombstones quake

More!
    So after 2 full days in a row of walking around disneyland and a four hour practice, I finally understand why my doctor told me to take it easy on my knee I still cant wait to do it again

AEROSMITH FTWW!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast