• Snap!

WoC, DCA, and Glowfest Trip Report

Keri (my gf) and I have been preparing for this WoC trip for a while now.
    I have been active on the forums asking rediculous questions about where to be, when to be there, and other tidbits of info so that we could have the best possible show experience. The info paid off!

We began our day a bit late.
    I could not find my phone the night before so I did not set the alarm, woke up around 9am but I was planning on leaving before 8 so we could stop for breakfast etc.
    Ended up getting in Disneyland before 11am.

It was a June Gloom morning at it's best.
    It may look overcast but it was plenty warm all day.

Upon walking in, I remembered the forum discussion here about the subwoofers in the main hub and along the parade route. I think this is one, it fits the description given to me. I eventually saw them all over in DL and DCA.

NOTE: Vertical photos taken with Iphone 4. Other photos taken with Canon Powershot SD780

We wanted to go to Space Mountain, but right when we got there it shut down so we wandered over to BTMRR and got a fastpass then waited for Splash Mountain.

It was still before noon, but it was honestly in the 80's or 90's just with cloud cover, still, not much of a line for a hot day, 20 mins.

We are in the back

After that, we used our BTMRR fastpasses and went into Big Thunder Ranch to pet the goats.

While there, Keri spotted a hidden mickey...

It was getting to be about 1pm so we headed out,
    planning to go to DCA and ask about picnics and what color in PP we could get at 2pm, but first we headed to the car and along the way we saw some bored CM's wasing time:

We then headed to DCA. Loving the colors everywhere!

Right at the DCA entrance:

Walking along the parade route to PP, we scouted the Picnic area and I asked how the fastpasses work, she said to just ask the person at the register what colors they were currently giving out, she also said I could turn in my pre-paid picnic BEFORE the 2pm scheduled time. When I walked up she was giving out blue just as I had hoped!

The picnic was actually not that bad, Keri found out she likes hummus.

The slaw had no flavor, others said it tasted too oniony... well I wish it had more onion, it tasted like sliced up carrot/zucchini and that was it, maybe with a splash of lemon. The wrap was good, so was the other weird side dish. The lemon stuff was sour lemon flavor but we liked it, Keri enjoyed everything except the slaw too.

After we got the fastpasses, I felt relieved that we got blue, and we now could enjoy a few hours at the park.

Rode screamin of course!

We rode ToT... one of my favorites!

I feel bad because I always block people's view... but I love putting my hands up!!

We then headed over to the animation building, specifically the sorcerer area.

Then onto what we feel is an underrated ride...

Right after the ride, Keri took her usual mosaic picture:

And we saw there was a band playing on the stage here in the Hollywood Backlot. It was what seemed to be a high school classical band.

We stayed and listened to a few songs... good stuff.

Watching the show:

Then it was time to start crowding around PP. I stayed and held ground around PP while Keri left to get dinner on the other side of the park. I continuously asked questions to the CM's and suits standing around.

Just so you know, the suits are really polite but they will not release as much info as regular CM's. Essentially this is how the crowd control seemed to work.

At dusk they kick everyone out of PP, and eventually will close the walkway between the Pier bridge and the area with Mulholland madness. Barriers will go up and a small one way path will be left right beside the wall in front of the Little Mermaid construction area.

Some shots of the crowd outside the barrier, somehow I ended up a bit far back even though I had been waiting since 6 <.<

At around 7:15 they suddenly just open the barriers, the way this happened made me mad.

The CM's to the left of me just let everyone rush in, but everyone standing to the right, close to the blue wall had been waiting the longest, since 6! Our barrier got opened by a suit who checked ALL fastpasses before letting anyone in, so while all the latecomers were rushing in, the earlybirds got held up by a suit!!
    Either way, we got a GREAT spot. In the "wet zone" but we really did not get wet at all, a light mist once in a while, not even enough to dampen our clothes.

We met a really nice couple next to us that was from Seattle, the guy worked for Microsoft and we had a cool discussion about Silverlight haha. He said he reads the boards so he will hopefull see this. I did not get a pic, but here are a few of our viewing area and some horrible pics of the show:

Our view:

Some shots from our viewing area:

Onto GlowFest!!!

I made a video with some clips from glowfest. Premiere screwed up the aspect ratio again even though it previewed fine so I had to go back and re-encode, making the quality horrible, but you will get the idea:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irG3n-jqAlQ"]YouTube - Glowfest @ Disney California Adventure[/ame]

Taken with the front camera on the iphone 4.. not the best at night, but def decent for the front camera.

So that is all this time, we had such a great time before our passes blacked out for the summer.

We appreciate comments!
    Last edited by senseiz; 06-30-2010 at 04:35 AM.

• Indiana Scott

Re: WoC, DCA, and Glowfest Trip Report

Great pics and very informative TR ~ thanks for all your effort!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Very nice report! I want to see WOC, but at the same time.... the way they have the waiting set up annoys me greatly. Maybe in September when I get down there things will have quieted down and the crowds won't be so bad. Hey... a person can dream can't they?

Great shots and commentary! Thanks for sharing your day with us!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Very nice report! I want to see WOC, but at the same time.... the way they have the waiting set up annoys me greatly. Maybe in September when I get down there things will have quieted down and the crowds won't be so bad. Hey... a person can dream can't they?

Great shots and commentary! Thanks for sharing your day with us!
    I feel the same way...personally I dont mind the waiting but my other half is not nearly as patient and I just dont see it as a good thing the way things are right now...we will be there in September too so I will dream with you
    Vacation...Counting Down the Days...Disneyland Here I Come

Great trip report...thanks for the info on world of color...I am taking in all that I can to decide whether or not we will be seeing the show.
    Vacation...Counting Down the Days...Disneyland Here I Come

• DisneyFreak100

Im waiting until september after summer crowds to see WoC but I had my family see it instead and they loved it!!! Glowfest is probably the best thing disnye has ever thought of....Feels like a g rated rave!

• Clean Cup! Move Down!

Nice report! Great pictures. I'm glad I'm not the only one that likes the mosaics. (and Monsters, inc.!)

Looks like the picnic view is pretty good. I may try that next time I go.

Thanks for the report!
    Dr.A

• Snap!

You really do not need to wait to see WoC. It seems with a little preparation and the ability to stand and wait for two hours then RUN to your section you will get a prime viewing spot. My guess is that they will still be doing fastpasses in Sept.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Hopefully Keri and I can spend a DLR day with some fellow micechatters.

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Excellent WoC shots! Great TR!
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

Great report! I also love GlowFest... I can see why it's still getting better feedback from guests compared to WoC. Gladly take GlowFest and Fantasmic in one night compared to waiting foreeevvveerrr for WoC and still getting a bad spot.
    -Wes