Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Recently-Announced Modifications to D.C.A.

But the area immediately around Soarin' is seen as rather ugly, and few tourists actually make the connection to a high desert airfield, and even fewer have any personal point of reference for such a place. Plus, there are many prominent Imagineers who feel the lack of a story or plotline to Soarin' means that the dusty airfield environment is rather useless. Since there is no attempt to hide the fact that Soarin' is basically a few rows of theater seats suspended above an IMAX movie screen, why deal with an ugly and charmless environment like an industrial airstrip in the desert?
    The desert area looks great. And, the airfield is romantic and very unlike anything Disney has done elsewhere. That fact is a good thing. I would, however, conceal the monorail, and I would strengthen the transition to the mountainous, forested area. I also ask why Disney does not make Soarin' over California a convincing glider flight.

Airplanes and hangars are evocative, and the desert landscaping is unique and appealing. Add some U.S.O.-style entertainment or other romantic show elements, but don't diverge from the intent of the original designers.

D.C.A. is suffering from anemia. For the most part, the place works. It just needs polish here and there. Route 66 is the big offender. That area of the park is the one that needs to be gutted as soon as possible.

Also proposed is the virtual elimination of the practically useless farm area, with the wharf section expanded into that area as a themed entrance to the new Incredibles ride now slated to be built in the parking lot just beyond that park section.
    An attraction related to "The Incredibles" sounds ill-conceived, and Bountiful Valley could be very impressive if Disney would do something with the place.

Here's my own Bountiful Valley: Redlands, California.... http://goldencalifornia.blogspot.com/

Bountiful Valley is essential to the overall presentation. The region is the most authentic part of D.C.A. because Disneyland resides on land once occupied by orange groves, walnut groves, and vineyards.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 11-15-2005 at 01:34 AM.

Re: Recently-Announced Modifications to D.C.A.

m really excited to see what they do with the california theme and I really like the new goldne dreams idea. I just wonder what they would do with the old theatre and archway thing

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

GRR mountain area and Condor Flats are the 2 best themed areas in
    the less than spectacular DCA. I agree with PI, Condor flats ain't that
    broken. It is an air strip, with lights. BUT go ahead and emphasize the
    desert aspect more, NOT the GRR area. There is as little desert in Condor
    Flats as there is sand at Paradise Pier. And YES dress up the Soarin' queue.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    The desert area looks great. And, the airfield is romantic and very unlike anything Disney has done elsewhere. That fact is a good thing. I would, however, conceal the monorail, and I would strengthen the transition to the mountainous, forested area. I also ask why Disney does not make Soarin' over California a convincing glider flight.

Airplanes and hangars are evocative, and the desert landscaping is unique and appealing. Add some U.S.O.-style entertainment and other romantic show elements, but don't diverge from the intent of the original designers.

D.C.A. is suffering from anemia. For the most part, the place works. It just needs polish in certain places. Route 66 is the big offender. That area of the park is the one that needs to be gutted as soon as possible.

An attraction related to "The Incredibles" sounds ill-conceived, and Bountiful Valley could be very impressive if Disney would do something with the place.

Here's my own Bountiful Valley: Redlands, California.... http://goldencalifornia.blogspot.com/

Bountiful Valley is essential to the overall presentation. The region is the most authentic part of D.C.A. because Disneyland resides on land once occupied by orange groves, walnut groves, and vineyards.
    AMEN to everything you just said! Wow! Someone else that can open their mind and doesn't have to be looking at a replica of Disneyland.

I think that Condor Flats is one of the better looking areas of DCA and one of the best themed. Also, the Hollywood Pictures Backlot was the best themed area and very well done for a theme park. The worst areas were Bountiful Valley and Paradise Pier, but I understand Paradise Pier being a historical buff for amusement parks.

• Minion

I think all this news from Al's latest update on DCA is a good news for us AP holders who clammer for anything new in DCA (me too!) ...... HOWEVER ..... Because this is money spent on a COSMETIC makeover (ala TL98) ... is it really going to drive anymore of the mainstream public in?????????

It's those admissions that are going to count. Not us AP folks who'll have a reason to hang out another hour or two.

I was a bit shocked to read Al's update to see they are going for these modications instead of a massive overhaul that this park really needs.

I think in the end .. after all the money TDA drops in .. is not going to raise the amount of admissions the way they must be dreaming.
    Last edited by Escapé; 11-09-2005 at 01:13 PM.

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

Soarin does need something more exciting to invite people inside. I do like how it is now, but I go inside because I already know what the ride is like. For people that dont go as often, they might look at the outside and decide not to go in. I just hope that any changes they do make at DCA, that they dont go the cheap route.

• Banned User

Even though those two areas are themed the best in park they are still weak in theme. I especially think GRR is way underthemed on the actual ride. It feels like I am at a regular park with a playground not a theme park. They need to add story and that is what is missing from everything in the park. They really need to add animatronics on GRR. The area where condor flats is just too empty and was not given the proper budget to really give it a rich feeling.

• Animatronic

I really can't imagine them making it worse. Almost anything they do to add shade, improve sight lines, improve story, or add detail will help.

The worse thing they could do would be to spend money without a long term master plan and then realize they wasted some time and money, but even that's a lot better than doing nothing.

Disneyland had a strong master plan built on over decades. It's easy for an "improvement" to send some aspect of it's design backwards. DCA wouldn't seem to have that problem.

As for GRR, I find it interesting that the hotel is better hidden from Downtown Disney than the park. The area doesn't seem compelling, nor immersive and the ride's 70's camp theme is odd and reminds me more of my parents garage than some exciting period adventure.

• Banned User

My thoughts on this whole DCA thing are as follows:

First the development of each land sounds too good to be true, though the execution of the improvements will have to be drastic to really turn around the lack-luster atmosphere. I am glad to hear that they are thinking of removing Condor Flats. The area doesn't attract you at all. Everything in Disneyland makes you want to inspect it, look at how it's made, and what it's history is; not with Condor Flats. Plus the transitions between lands in this area is far too subtle. I really happy to hear that they are redesigning the entrance area, though Golden Dreams is no Mr Lincoln.

Second, is my concern for the new additions to the Park. Monsters Inc and the Incredibles don't seem to fit in to the theming at all. I'm a big fan of Pixar and have no problem with there being more Pixar attractions but at least find a fitting place for them. I'll buy Buzz being in tomorrowland, but this new attitude of "Hey there's room here" is quit disappointing. Take Nemo for example. They could have used the section next to the Matterhorn, moving Autopia if need be, and make the attraction apart of Fantasyland. But instead it's drop in tomorrowlands lap without rhyme or reason.

Third is my irritation with the Boardwalk area. I won't even call it by it's true name because of my disgust with it. Walt would have never seen this built with his name slapped on it if someone held a gun to his head. He built DL because he hated places like the Boardwalk and the fair, he wanted something better, something different. But here we are today, boardwalk and all. I'm aware that they will never really give up on this area because of all the work that has been dumped into it, but it still upsets me that they will spend more money on this to improve it but wont spend the money to build something that Walt would have approved of.

I guess I'm done now.
    Last edited by Dirton; 11-09-2005 at 04:17 PM.

Why are they wasting their time with these other areas of the park?

It's Paradise Pier that has garnered contempt.

• Infinitized!

What they need to do is rip out the most underutilized area of the park or one that does not even convey the Disney brand (Paradise Pier), and replace it with something truly Californian: Disneyland! How about putting in a mini version of Disneyland full of dark rides? Then families with young kids would be satisfied, heck I would be too.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Yep, they are addressing areas of the park that need the least amount of help, when it's PP that need the MOST help ~ so far the only thing done in the way of adding interest to this area is paint the dinosaur green.

PP and the PP Pond are areas that are the most contemptable in
    the eyes of the majority of Disney fans. Without addressing this
    area in a MAJOR way, DCA will always be seen as the park that
    never could.

I would very happy if Route 66 was removed or changed. It is an unqualified disaster.

I want to see the following removed: Orange Stinger; Burger Invasion, hosted by McDonald's; Corn Dog Castle; Golden Zephyr; Mulholland Madness; and, Dinosaur Jack's Sunglass Shack.

Conceptually, Jumpin' Jellyfish can work, but the appearance of the attraction is far too garish and cheap-looking to be attractive.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    Why are they wasting their time with these other areas of the park?

It's Paradise Pier that has garnered contempt.
    Nope... People actually go into Paradise Pier... As impracticle an area as it is... It is a corrador to get to screamin', the sun wheel, and the Maliboomer... Everything in between and disappear, and more than often does...

And let me remind you there is nothing more contemptuos than Millionare (the reminder of Iger's failed management skills), Superstar Limo (the ride that died in popularity) and a Drive In restaurant that is more of an area 57 and no longer serves any practicle purpose to daily customers...

I am telling you, you can hide dead bodies in the intrance of Superstar Limo and no one except the occasional smoker would notice...

The only reason I can think of to rework condor flats is one of view beautification from the Grand Californian and partially because it might be able to create a better use of it's space... this is only speculation... As far as I am concerned it is only to host Soarin'... and any desert landscape with out Joshua trees and Butte formations is kinda dumb anyway...
    Check out my other blog:

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

I beg to differ, but Golden Zepher is the most historically accurate and atmospheric structure in all of Paradise Pier. Its the only thing there that truly reflects the period thats supposed to be represented.

By the way, thank you PragmaticIdealist, for linking your blog of OUR hometown! Now people can see why I always say that I live in a town that is a cross between Main Street USA and Mayberry! Great photos!

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast