Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

• Disney Fan & Musician

Re: Rumor: Is Tony Baxter being shown the door?

If Tony left, I don't think Disneyland would be Disneyland. He seems to be one of the only ones who actually know what the park is about. At this moment, Tony and Lasseter are the closest to Walt and WED that there is.
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• hogwarts + disneyland = ♥

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    Does the average fan really have a clue who Tony Baxter is?

The hardcore fans (i.e. us) might be outraged if Tony gets the boot, but I'm skeptical there will be a "massive uproar".
    i don't now about the 'massive uproar' or how 'average' we are talking. but my sister and i have known about baxter for longer than we've been hardcore fans. i'm thinking avg fan as in someone who loves DL so read something about it if it pops up in the news and watches specials on tv. and even just doing that there presence of baxter is strong.

flower gleam & glow...

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

No way, he's been doing a great job the last couple of years....wo this is a rumor nothing more.

• Banned User

I can't see it happening. Sure, hes had some tough times, but ever since Nemo, every attraction he's worked on has been sucessful. Obviously, Star Tours 2 will be a sucess as well.

And I do agree, I think there would be an uproar if Tony was shown the door. Not only is he a popular guy with fans and tons of people within the company, but hes one of maybe 10 people that actually knows Walt. I think even the execs have to know that it would not be smart to fire or force retirement upon one of the few people that can still talk about his experiences with Walt. That just doesn't seem like it would be good business.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RCT3 View Post
    I think even the execs have to know that it would not be smart to fire or force retirement upon one of the few people that can still talk about his experiences with Walt.
    To get Tony's take on Walt-era Imagineering, read his interview in the last issue of E-Ticket Magazine.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Much ado about nothing...

I happened to be at the Disney Archives event and Tony was interacting with Disney insiders as well as fans. Didn't seem like someone on his way out. Just because he didn't move on to another party doesn't mean anything. For all anyone knows he may have gone to the party later. Or maybe he just wanted to head home - it was Friday.

His non-appearance at DL on 7/17 (which happens to be on a Saturday) also doesn't mean anything. There is no reason to be at DL for the 55th. This is not some big deal anniversary; too many on this board are really hung up about a "birthday" celebration for 55. Maybe DL should be celebrating early retirement.

The Disney Family Museum has done a full weekend of programming and who better to participate than someone who has had a large hand in shaping DL as we know it.
    The Mur

I am planning on going to the WDFM to see his presentation. Do you want me to ask him about this and his future with WDI?
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

• back in Austin

I'd like to know more about the Tomorrowland 98 redo and the inner politics. Can you guys point me to some online articles? Or at least a thread or two here on MiceChat?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by themur View Post

I happened to be at the Disney Archives event and Tony was interacting with Disney insiders as well as fans. Didn't seem like someone on his way out. Just because he didn't move on to another party doesn't mean anything. For all anyone knows he may have gone to the party later. Or maybe he just wanted to head home - it was Friday.

His non-appearance at DL on 7/17 (which happens to be on a Saturday) also doesn't mean anything. There is no reason to be at DL for the 55th. This is not some big deal anniversary; too many on this board are really hung up about a "birthday" celebration for 55. Maybe DL should be celebrating early retirement.

The Disney Family Museum has done a full weekend of programming and who better to participate than someone who has had a large hand in shaping DL as we know it.
    This sounds more likely. It sounds as if Blueskydriveby is assuming that there is no way that the Disney Museum could be a higher priority for Tony than this other event that he already attended several times. Perhaps the Museum folks contacted him before the birthday folks did. Or maybe Tony was bummed that Disney wasn't stepping up to the plate with a real celebration and decided to head up to take these other folks up on their offer since nothing was going on down here. It seems that there are a number of possibilities other than Tony being shown the door.

And I'm with Dusty on the backlash thing. I think TDA would get a non-stop earful from all sides if they did something that disrespectful to Tony.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by themur View Post

Baxter usually has some involvement with the NFFC convention that's always held in the Disneyland area on the week of the 17th. There aren't really any actual park related goings on that require his participation. He usually goes where the fan action is.

• Embrace the kitsch!

I've never met Tony Baxter, but his past behavior seems to bear out the idea that he prefers the company of his fans to that of his peers. As far as 7/17 goes, it makes sense that he would join Ouimet and Lindquist on their junket up north.

However, to those who say his career is safe just because of his tenure, they said the same thing about Dick Cook.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• All-American

I have to say it wouldn't surprise me much, given some rumblings around here and the recent "retirements" of Tom Delaney and Valerie Edwards. But if Tony's departure did happen, I would be VERY upset. Tony Baxter is the present carrier of the Disneyland legacy, and his top-notch portfolio has made much of Disneyland as vibrant as it is today. I'm also very partial to his old-school style of Imagineering; Fitzgerald's interactivity-focused and high-tech style hasn't quite won me over yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    Does the average fan really have a clue who Tony Baxter is?

The hardcore fans (i.e. us) might be outraged if Tony gets the boot, but I'm skeptical there will be a "massive uproar".
    Apparently he's mainstream enough for D23 to conduct a fan-based interview with him.

That interview was just conducted in March, mind you, so I doubt Disney would be throwing the spotlight on him if his departure were imminent.

I agree with others who said that Tony seems to really care about his fans and the Disney legacy... in other words, he's a lot like us. I could easily see him going to the WD Family Museum over the Disneyland event if he thought that's where the real action was happening, so to speak.

• keh!

tony is a very busy guy and probably just has other things scheduled. believe me, there are many events that tony has not attended. and then there are many events he does attend.

• Suspended

Tony IS going to be in Anaheim for DLs 55th.........at the NFFC Convention down the street. Him and Kim Irvine will be talking about the Lincoln redo.

• Disneyland History Lover

I can't even claim to know any "inside" information. All I can do is go by the supposed rumors that have been posted. Simply by reading them, it would appear to me that the examples given are mere at best. They do not seem to hold any large significance to me as the reader. Small affairs, basically.

I do agree also that the 55th doesn't have to be something the park goes all out to brag about. I mean, the 50th was just five years ago. Are they supposed to have an all-out bash for the 60th, 65th, 70th, 75th, 80th, 85th, and so forth anniversaries? I think it's nice that they released some merchandise commermorating the 55th, but unless it's universally recognized milestone such as the 50th, 75th, or 100th anniversay, it doesn't need to be too big a deal. That being said, I certainly do like seeing at least some sort of acknowledgement of these more frequent anniversaries even if they are small in nature.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast