Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dinner at Club 33 - lots of questions

Hello, I just signed up today as my neighbor told me this is a great place to get information about Disneyland. We've been many times over the years, but after exploring this site all day, I'm learning so many things I didn't know about. I created this account tonight as I had some questions.

My husband recently started a new job and as a perk, we were asked to join his boss for dinner at Club 33. I knew a little bit about it, but did a lot of online research today and I'm a bit overwhelmed about what this all means. The dinner is in a couple of weeks and will be the boss, his wife, my husband, me, and our daughters (17 and 14). I was reading that there are a lot of "rules" and obviously want to make a good impression with the boss. I've met him once briefly, but this will be the first time he meets our daughters.

Here are the questions I couldn't really find answered:

#1 - shoes: from what I've read, flip flops and sandals are not allowed. Does this include ALL open-toed shoes? The girls live in flip flops all summer, but do have some "nice" sandal-type shoes, but they are open-toed. Do I need to buy them flats or something similar? Would a ballet-slipper style or mary jane style be appropriate?

#2 - tank tops: also on the do not wear list. Similar to the shoe question - my older daughter has a nice sleeveless top - it's not really a tank top in the traditional sense, it's silky and very dressy, but her shoulders are showing. Would she be able to wear it, could she wear it with a light sweater or should she wear something with sleeves?

#3 - pants: Are capri length pants appropriate for dinner? what about gaucho style? Or, should they be full-length pants? Same with skirts - Is just below the knee too short or should they be longer?

#4 - food: is there anywhere that I can see a current menu? I found some menus on the Club 33 website, but they have dates of 1/10 and 12/09 so I wasn't sure if it's the same menu. Also, from what I've read, the buffet appetizers and dessert are just for lunch. Does that mean that you order everything separate for dinner? Are there any "sampler" platter options similar to the buffet with smaller selections?

#5 - food2: our youngest is a pretty picky eater, not very adventurous sadly. In looking at some of the menu items, I worry that she won't find anything she likes. I don't want to embarrass the boss by having her just pick at her food. Can she order off the kids menu even though she's an "adult" - do they just adjust the amount/price of the food? Or, could she possibly combine items on the adult menu - for example, if there is steak with mashed potatoes and chicken with rice, could she ask for steak with rice or is that frowned upon?

#6 - last question LOL Our reservation is for 7:30pm and the boss sad that the meal could take as long as 2 or 3 hours. Is it possible to see Fantasmic from the restaurant since it would be showing while we are there? What about the fireworks? Are there places from in the restaurant to see it (window seats?)

Thank you again, I'm really hoping for some answers to help ease my mind. My husband has no clue about any of this and for him it's easy - he eats anything, and just needs to wear nice slacks and a shirt with tie. He has no idea the "stress" this causes the women in the family

Re: Dinner at Club 33 - lots of questions

Sorry, remembered one more question we had - the girls and I were doing a lot of research today. We saw the case of things that you can buy and one of the sites we looked at said that there is no cash register or person standing there. So, how do you purchase souvenirs? Do you just tell the waiter? The boss is covering the dinner, but obviously I don't expect him to buy us gifts, but I want to get something for the girls - ears or a mug or something. How much money should I bring - what's the general price range for the items in the case?

Error on the side of caution. Remember you husband's boss is going to be there. IMO it's easier to notice a person who is under-dressed.

Not particular to club 33, but I find it hard to overdress, you can set the standard.

• Grumpy is as Grumpy Does!

Quote Originally Posted by momof2 View Post
    Hello, I just signed up today as my neighbor told me this is a great place to get information about Disneyland. We've been many times over the years, but after exploring this site all day, I'm learning so many things I didn't know about. I created this account tonight as I had some questions.

My husband recently started a new job and as a perk, we were asked to join his boss for dinner at Club 33. I knew a little bit about it, but did a lot of online research today and I'm a bit overwhelmed about what this all means. The dinner is in a couple of weeks and will be the boss, his wife, my husband, me, and our daughters (17 and 14). I was reading that there are a lot of "rules" and obviously want to make a good impression with the boss. I've met him once briefly, but this will be the first time he meets our daughters.

#1 - shoes: from what I've read, flip flops and sandals are not allowed. Does this include ALL open-toed shoes? The girls live in flip flops all summer, but do have some "nice" sandal-type shoes, but they are open-toed. Do I need to buy them flats or something similar? Would a ballet-slipper style or mary jane style be appropriate?

#2 - tank tops: also on the do not wear list. Similar to the shoe question - my older daughter has a nice sleeveless top - it's not really a tank top in the traditional sense, it's silky and very dressy, but her shoulders are showing. Would she be able to wear it, could she wear it with a light sweater or should she wear something with sleeves?

#3 - pants: Are capri length pants appropriate for dinner? what about gaucho style? Or, should they be full-length pants? Same with skirts - Is just below the knee too short or should they be longer?

#4 - food: is there anywhere that I can see a current menu? I found some menus on the Club 33 website, but they have dates of 1/10 and 12/09 so I wasn't sure if it's the same menu. Also, from what I've read, the buffet appetizers and dessert are just for lunch. Does that mean that you order everything separate for dinner? Are there any "sampler" platter options similar to the buffet with smaller selections?

#5 - food2: our youngest is a pretty picky eater, not very adventurous sadly. In looking at some of the menu items, I worry that she won't find anything she likes. I don't want to embarrass the boss by having her just pick at her food. Can she order off the kids menu even though she's an "adult" - do they just adjust the amount/price of the food? Or, could she possibly combine items on the adult menu - for example, if there is steak with mashed potatoes and chicken with rice, could she ask for steak with rice or is that frowned upon?

#6 - last question LOL Our reservation is for 7:30pm and the boss sad that the meal could take as long as 2 or 3 hours. Is it possible to see Fantasmic from the restaurant since it would be showing while we are there? What about the fireworks? Are there places from in the restaurant to see it (window seats?)

Thank you again, I'm really hoping for some answers to help ease my mind. My husband has no clue about any of this and for him it's easy - he eats anything, and just needs to wear nice slacks and a shirt with tie. He has no idea the "stress" this causes the women in the family

I don't have all the answers as I have only been lucky enough to go to Club 33 once years ago, a salesman for a pharmaceutical company took the R&D Group (me included) their at Christmas time. From what I remember, it is "semi-formal". The men work shirts, slacks, dress shoes, the women wore dress and heels, I'm sure some were open toe.

The food was great, did kinda remind me of an upscale Vegas buffet, the food was VERY good, I remember prime rib, shrimp, typical buffet food you'd fid around Christmas time.

• Here's my 2 cents

MJ's or the ballet slipper should be ok. nice clean tennis shoes are OK too.

Gaucho pant should be OK as well. skirt BELOW the knee? bless you, it should be fine, tank as you described w/ a sweater is OK too.

you'll see these rules be violated by other guests of the club (last time we had lunch at the club there were two girls with SHORT shorts and flip flops) , but this is the bosses party so follow the rules

There is no sampler platter thing. And dinner isnt ala carte, we usually eat lunch with the cold buffet It's awesome! The youngest can look at the kids menu, they'll usually bring anything you want, but, it's a shame that he/she won't eat like everyone else especially since this is The Boss's party. Also it would seem a little awkward that you're picking apart the menu during this rare opportunity provided by the boss....they do not change pricing for anything if your youngest wants a cheeseburger, the meal will cost the same as if they had ordered the chateaubriand (which come with smashed potatos, by the way, it has been a staple of the menu since the club opened in the 60's)

fireworks and fantasmic, not the greatest view from up there but you'll see it, just go out on the balcony, seating depends on if the boss asked for a specific table or not.

if you want something out the case just ask a cast memeber in the club, theyll get it for you, nothing is crazy expensive, but thats subject to interpretation, as an example the baseball cap is $30 I think
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• Frozen lemonade addict!

Quote Originally Posted by Raindown View Post
    Error on the side of caution. Remember you husband's boss is going to be there. IMO it's easier to notice a person who is under-dressed.
    This! Since this is dinner with the boss and your husband is going to be wearing dress shoes, slacks and a tie... I would dress to impress. Same goes for your daughters.

Here is a link to the dinner menu.
    http://www.themouseforless.com/tripp...l/Club33.shtml

Im not sure about the view or buying things from there.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mugen80/
    http://jjhernandez.smugmug.com

• DMTNT

I agree with what the others having been saying about the dress code. It is going to be more about impressing the boss than conforming to the Club 33 code.

We went a month ago and tried to view Fantasmic from the balcony. You can see bits and pieces but the majority of the show is blocked by trees. You can purchase any of the items from the cabinet from the host/hostess that is seated at the top of the staircase (you'll know whom I am speaking about when you get there).

Have a great time.

• Here's my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken_Monk View Post
    Here is a link to the dinner menu.
    Club 33 Menu • Disneyland Restaurant Menus
    this link is from February of 2009, it does not match the menus for 2010

• Hooterville, USA

I can tell you that a lady in our party wore flip flops and she was not allowed in.

She ranted about it but Club33 held firm. It was good to see her go out and buy some shoes to be able to enter. I was happy to see that "no" really does mean "no".

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

I think those links, besides being old are also for lunch menus. I am not sure when the last time the pp saw someone there in flip flops, but I have seen then turn people away in them. Dressy sandals should be ok, but of you are really worried about being turned away at the door in front of the boss, be safe and have them wear little flats. If she has a sweater, just have her wear it over her top, and capri pants are not acceptable, at least not for adults, they have to be full length pants. What they will do if you are not approriatly dressed when you arrive is turn you away at the door and tell you where you can get what is appropriate. I know they have sent people to Adventureland to buy moccasins who are wearing flip flops. So it is better to over dress than to be embarrassed in front of your husband's boss and get turned away. They will totally work with your daughter. They have a kid's menu or will make substitutions for a side dish, it won't be a problem at all. But she will probably pay the adult's price even if she order's off the kid's menu because of her age.

• Here's my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Head View Post
    But she will probably pay the adult's price even if she order's off the kid's menu because of her age.
    it's a $72.00pp regardless of what is eaten. my son (12 yr old) gets chicken strips, french fries and a soda = $72.00

also, it's $72.00pp beverages are not included in the price
    Last edited by tomrules1955; 07-01-2010 at 08:07 AM.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by tomrules1955 View Post
    it's a $72.00pp regardless of what is eaten. my son (12 yr old) gets chicken strips, french fries and a soda = $72.00

That's some expensive chicken right there!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Quote Originally Posted by momof2 View Post

We've went to dinner there last year and are going again in October. I was told no flip flops of any kind and no tank tops of any kind. Girls can get away with something sleeveless if it's a blouse and not tank top looking. We were in the lobby taking pictures and watched them turn away two people. One had a tank, the other had flip flops and shorts. Regarding shorts, I'm told that it really depends on the person at the front desk. They've let people slide if they look nice and it's lunch. Dinner? Probably not.

The lunch is a buffet and dinner is from a menu. I usually go to this unofficial Club 33 site, and it has a January 2010 menu. I'm not sure how often the menu changes.

We played it safe with a collared shirt, nice shoes and nice jeans. The women wore slacks, capri pants and skirts, sleeveless blouses and open toed sandels. One even wore heeled flip flops that were jeweled and they didn't say anything.

Dinner does take about 2-3 hours. It's not a fast pace thing at all. You really want to enjoy it as long as possible. You can't see Fantasmic or the fireworks very well on the balcony due to the trees, but do make sure you go out and enjoy it for a while.

OH and if you see Club 33 Mickey Ears in the case, snag them up as fast as possible. They don't get them very often and they sell out within a couple days when they do.

Make sure you check out the "throne" in the ladies bathroom. We had someone take a picture of them for us. We have tons of pics if you want to see.

Thanks for the info. I don't have kids. I thought that if the kids were under 10 or what ever it is, they had a kid's price that was like $10 less than the adults price or something like that.

You are totally speaking her language! I forgot that I had read that the price was set (well, the minimum price) so that makes sense. She will eat a full meal, but she's just simple in what she likes, not very daring with spices or "strange" sides/vegetables. When we looked at this menu: Club 33 Wines & Spirits she got a little scared. For example, she loves salmon, but Roast Celery Root and Fava Bean Gremolata are not things she would eat. Same with the Chateaubriand - she would love that I'm sure, but the Parsnip Puree would likely go uneaten. If she could get it with "basic" potatoes or rice or something, it would be fine. But, that's a menu from January 2010, and we couldn't find anything more recent other than lunch menus.

I'm sure she'll be fine and both girls have definitely eaten at nice restaurants and no how to behave and from what my husband has said, the boss is a very down-to-earth relaxed guy, so I hope he's not too embarrassed if she does end up getting a simpler side dish. (wow, that was a run-on sentence)

Thank you again for all of the info. We'll look through the closets for cute, appropriate outfits, but maybe we'll have to go shopping for a few things

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast