Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Boat shoes all day long

World of Color Crazy time - Very Nice!

I have always run through the park upon arrival. Even if it has been open for a number of hours, a quick hustle to the first ride is unavoidable. Tickets are scanned, little bell-things chime and then you’re in! While this wasn’t necessarily a spur-of-the-moment decision to go to the park, it was a fast-paced adventure on limited time. My posse was in the southern part of California for a surfing and camping weekend, and figured there was no reason not to check out the park. One girl, my fiancés sister, had never been to Disneyland, and the other guy had not seen the park since Indy was first breaking ground and those colorful buckets passed in and out of the Matterhorn; so there would be a lot of questions, and a lot of excitement.

A friend of ours dropped a note a couple weeks before we came down from our habitat in the Bay Area stating that thanks to her employment under the Disneyland umbrella, that she would be honored to host our day at Disneyland free of charge, along with a friend of hers that is currently being cast as one of the Disney princess face characters. She would use her privileges set forth in what is sure to be a multi-page document, to sign us into the park with special tickets. Along with the park tickets, we were also given Fastpasses for a prime viewing location of World of Color. Stoked we were (Yoda Voice)!

So by the time our morning surf sesh was over it was nearly lunch time (Swami’s/Pipes down in Encinatas). After nursing a small jellyfish sting I endured, we grabbed a couple giant burritos at Bull Taco and headed for Anaheim. The whole car was stoked off previous good times from the night before and morning beach time that the 58-minute drive from SD to DL went by in a flash. It’s what makes time travel possible (excitement, not the Flux Capacitor)! I have always either flown to the Park, or stayed in one of the hotels, so parking in that giant cement structure was a first. Let me just say, the staff was incredibly friendly. Working at a tollbooth could not be an enjoyable experience - one might think. But this female cast member was having a ball and it made us that much more stoked for the PARK!

We went into DCA upon arrival to secure our WOC FP tickets and soar over California. Once that was done, we hustled over to the main park. Now, I have never met Captain Hooks (sp?) but I believe I felt his presence near Condor Flats heading towards the park entrance/exit a little after 3:00 PM. There is some photographic evidence of my encounter in need of verification. Speaking of characters, the only fuzzy we saw, period, was an aviator-clad Minnie the Mouse by Soarin’. Odd, especially for a pretty packed Saturday.

Once in the Kingdom of Magical Attractions and Eats, we made a floating list of what rides were imperative to our enjoyment. That list included POTC, the spooky house, BTMRR, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, iced cream sundaes at the Silver Horseshoe Review, Tea Cups, one with a bear that loves honey and a couple of backward facing moose heads and possibly another that I am not recalling. We got our Indy Fastpass only to fall victim to an attraction closure, rendering my goal of showing my buddy my favorite ride unattainable. The lines were a bit long but we worked through it and were exiting the park right in the middle of the fireworks. Nothing they have done with those explosive products from the Far East since Believe quite compares, so we didn’t feel we were missing much.

PS. What happened to the painting of the woman that won that contest during the 50th that was on the wall in POTC?

During the tea party, one of our posse mates incurred some minor neck injuries, which prevented her from partaking in her favorite attraction once at DCA, the Hotel of a Handful of Drops. She sat outside of the ride while the rest of us joined Rod Serling for a quick trip up and down the elevator shaft. After this, we popped over to the Farmers Market area by Antz Land for some wraps and fries. This is where we were finally able to relax, for about 15 minutes. We were then ushered into our viewing area of WOC.

You have certainly heard highs and lows with regards to this show, as there will always be people that “had a better idea.” Which is odd, because wouldn’t that mean they should be with Imagineering and not working at the Olive Garden? Who knows? All I really know is that this hydro-insane showcase left me gripping the railing at the lagoons edge, unable to stand on my own for a number of earth minutes. Between the massive sound and water pumping through pipes, I thought “the Big One” was hitting every couple of minutes. And had it been – not such a bad place and time to go. The crowd control in this area is organized, unlike Fantasmic, and dissipates rather quickly; probably because after the third show there isn’t much to do in the park (attractions are closed). My favorite affect would have to be during the Small Mermaid and Nemo sequences, where the water expelled from the nozzles and lasers came together to create the effect of being underwater. Pictures and videos do no justice to this particular event, brace your self.

It was an amazing Day at Disneyland! I have never spent such a short amount of time in the park, so the next morning while I was out beyond the break hoping that the wave intervals would switch to more of a 12-second pulse over their current 6-8 second that was punishing my Johnny Rice custom, it felt like it had all been a dream. Not one of those blurry DL dreams that don’t make any sense; but rather a Disneyland dream of the sharpest kind.

Below you will find photos of the adventures. Not too many were snapped as there was so little time, and some were captured via iPhone, so my apologies to you prior to viewing:

*The photos are in a bit of a time line.

I found this beauty in a surplus store at the Mall of America in Minneapolis, Minnesota!

[IMG][/IMG]
    After watching many episodes of MTV's The Hills, we decided that while in Hollywood, we better stop at Heidi and Spencer's favorite Mexican joint. Turns out, this place is incredible!

[IMG][/IMG]
    Had to throw this in there, CRUSHED a 10K trail race up here in the Bay.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Campsite at Cardiff State Beach...looking through our board short drying line at Monica and Fred (dog)

[IMG][/IMG]
    That's Boyer and his new friend.

[IMG][/IMG]
    I have always felt like I may have been born in the wrong era. This is what California surf camping is all about right here...white walls and white squalls!

[IMG][/IMG]
    That is me clocking Boyer in the arm for sleeping in so late. Statue is the Surf Kook in SD.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Monica and I

[IMG][/IMG]
    I am just nutty about wagons with boards on top. This old Volvo has plenty of miles left. Encinatas State Beach.

[IMG][/IMG]
    After a 3-hour surf session and a jellyfish sting, a cup of black coffee was all I needed.

[IMG][/IMG]
    First thing I see when I get to the park...I am pretty sure this is that Captain Hook guy - anybody care to verify?

[IMG][/IMG]
    Just in time!

[IMG][/IMG]
    My second favorite of all the mountains.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Themeing of the year award goes to HTH.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Aww sheesh, there they are! I didn't take photos or videos of the show because I wanted to take it all in. And in it all I took!

[IMG][/IMG]
    Can you guess where in the parks this was taken?

[IMG][/IMG]
    Sometimes it seems as though Orange County should be renamed...

[IMG][/IMG]
    Some car we found to take a picture with

[IMG][/IMG]
    "It's my BEST Birthday!"

[IMG][/IMG]
    Our tent was about the same size as that suite

[IMG][/IMG]
    Emperor Zurg was behind them in a motorized cart

[IMG][/IMG]
    The magic hour...

Part 2 coming next!
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

Re: World of Color Crazy time - Very Nice!

[IMG][/IMG]
    I just have a thing for these signs!

[IMG][/IMG]
    There are rumors floating around various Disney fan sites regarding this skull. Some say it is a well-done replica, others suggest it belonged to Injun Joe.

[IMG][/IMG]
    The thundering mountain clearly provides the best ride in the very back seat. My amateur status buddy forgot to request the back seat and we ended up mid-train.

[IMG][/IMG]
    The deserts a dry place...and full of some pretty mean varmints!

[IMG][/IMG]
    Caesar's Palace, or the Haunted Mansion?

[IMG][/IMG]
    So guy get's in line for the splashing mountain, "hey, where can I get a poncho?" A friendly, knowledgeable guest points out they are available for purchase near the exit. Guy leaves, then cuts back in with the poncho on, but has removed his shirt underneath. It was gross.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Boyer has been spending some extra time in the gym

[IMG][/IMG]
    Wooooosh!

[IMG][/IMG]
    A couple "Mic!" crew members rocketing by

[IMG][/IMG]
    Four hours before Fantasmic

[IMG][/IMG]
    Looking on

[IMG][/IMG]
    Nobody behind us because they were getting ready for the Electrical Parade

[IMG][/IMG]
    The only thing that could make this photo better would be to see some beautiful pastel buckets passing in and out of the mountain.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Another one...I just couldn't get over how cool this area is!

[IMG][/IMG]
    There is always someone in the crew that just must go on the Teacups!

[IMG][/IMG]
    I have been riding this thing since legal age and am still scared! Sometimes rides change, experiences are different, paint chips, handrails get polished...but Space Mountain is better every time!

[IMG][/IMG]
    Our hotel. The best part about it was the overnight shoe shining services.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Find a better quote than this that doesn't involve Sir Charles Norris or Jack Bauer, I dare ya!

[IMG][/IMG]
    Alex, one of the homies waiting for the next set...

[IMG][/IMG]
    A rare glimpse of my Johnny Rice custom and Alex waiting around in the line up...glass, for now.

[IMG][/IMG]
    I pulled this lobster out of some seaweed that washed up and posted it up next to my cuu Mark. They are now best friends.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Boyer and I goonin' it up at the Giants v. Dodgers game.

Thanks for checking it out - it was a fun, but way too short of a visit to the Happiest Place on Earth!
    Last edited by BoygunaSurf; 07-02-2010 at 11:48 AM.

There are more to come I just need to get that photobucket thing figured out!

Under an Umbrella in Portland! Just a short 2 hour flight from Anaheim

Thanks for another incredible report. Always love the pics...even if it is the dodgers and not the Angels. Are you running this Labor day?
    Glory, Glory Man United! And the Reds go marching on! On!! ON!!!

I survived my first Marathon. Got my Mickey at WDW after 6:22:08 of "fun" on the course. Not happy with the time, so I will go back and be getting Goofy next year!

I just love your writing style! Very enjoyable read, thanks!
    Well Gawrsh!

• Nerd

Looks awesome! my favorite pictures are the Skull and the picture of the Matterhorn with the lamps in the foreground....and the one with the lobster.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

• is poppin' tags

Nice trip report! The beach and Disneyland in the same day?! How fun is that?! Thanks for sharing!
    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Suspended

Some great pics, so far! thanks!

Looks like you caught a "Flash Mt" picture, just as they were coming down. But it looks like a guy, not a gal.

Thanks, friends! It was nearly criminal being in the park for only half a day...but we did our best! But getting in an AM surf and then not long after, careening through the galaxy...not a bad day!

Renthead - haven't seen you on here in a while; I have been a bit of a clam myself. How's the running going? I am getting ready for the San Francisco half marathon at the end of this month, hoping to get in under 1:30 but this course has a couple hills! I am getting married in October, so I will be running around Las Vegas with a lampshade on my head Labor Day Weekend this year at my bachelor party. While I am looking forward to this right of passage immensely, it will be sad missing the race. What a great course! But next year we are going big and getting as much MC participation as possible - deal?

Take it easy!

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Great shots! Hope you had fun!
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

Would any of you happen to know what happened to the portrait of the female pirate once in the queue of Pirates of the Caribbean? I know she won some kind of contest during the 50ears thing to get there in the first place...I thought she was immortalized. I didn't realize that would blot it out later on - but didn't notice it on my last visit.

Excellent report. I hope you got some good waves at Pipes/Swipes/Swami's. Didn't see any in your report. I remember getting some perfect A-Frame tubes there one afternoon at Swipes, hardly anyone else out, with a couple of friends, in the summer of 1970, back when we listened to 8-track tapes of Jethro Tull in VW vans with surfboards on top.

I enjoyed your Disneyland and California Adventure photographs, your eye for detail, your quirky captions and questions and observations. I can't wait to get back to Disneyland.

• Minion

i think everything was deleted, oh well.

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by BoygunaSurf View Post
    Would any of you happen to know what happened to the portrait of the female pirate once in the queue of Pirates of the Caribbean? I know she won some kind of contest during the 50ears thing to get there in the first place...I thought she was immortalized. I didn't realize that would blot it out later on - but didn't notice it on my last visit.
    That portrait of the contest winner was supposed to be there for a certain amount of time. I guess it was overdue to be removed.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• Glitter.

Looks like you ran out of bandwidth. That's going to happen to me soon, need to upgrade to Pro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast