View Poll Results: Can DCA be as good as TDS?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, with enough theming and attention to detail, it definitely can

    62 55.86%
  • no, DCA is destined to fail and always be in the shadow of DisneySea

    49 44.14%
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 274
  1. #16

    • Established 2005
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    832

    Re: Can DCA ever become as good as TDS?

    Will never beat TDS. And I'll be the first to say that as a resort/whole package, TDR blows DLR out of the water. Just as stated above, DCA just doesn't stand a chance due to its lacking infrastructure from Day One.

  2. #17

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,387

    Re: Can DCA ever become as good as TDS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ckelef1 View Post
    +100000

    i <3dca
    I agree. I have to say that there's something about DCA that makes it so charming to me. Even though most people here hate the park, I'd have to say I would pick DCA over Disneyland if I had to pick one park to spend a day at. With that said, as much as I love it, I don't think it will reach the level of TDS. Sure, it could, but I don't see that happening right now. I don't really care about that either. As long as DCA keeps its charm and keeps up the good improvements, I will still love it. Let the Japanese have TDS. We can visit it if we want, which I plan to someday. But here we have DCA which is ever-improving, so we should stop making comparisons because they are two very different parks in two very different parts of the world.

  3. #18

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,594

    Re: Can DCA ever become as good as TDS?

    I doubt we will ever see another park quite like Tokyo DisneySea. But that doesn't mean DCA can't become a good themepark. Despite all the high praise you read about Tokyo DisneySea, I don't feel after several visits its a knock out park that many would lead you to believe. Yes the theming and detail is all there. And some of the attractions like Journey and Tower of Terror will impress you. But its also got its fair share of average attractions like Stormrider, Aquatopia and Raging Spirits.

    For me it takes more than good theming and detail to make a good park. You need a good balance of attractions. This is the reason the Disneyland parks in both California and Japan are the prefered choice for all visitors.

    Credit to both Resorts however for taking great steps to improve on there offerings. DCA has its big expansion project and TDS has a brand new Fantasmic Show opening in April. Followed by the Flying Carpets and Toy Story Mania finally in 2012. These additions will help improve the Guest experience at both parks. And thats how it should be.

    The question shouldn't be can DCA ever become as good as TDS. But can both DCA and TDS offer a themepark experience that will one day match what is offered by the Disneyland Parks.

  4. #19

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    4,272

    Re: Can DCA ever become as good as TDS?

    Nope it simply can't be. You don't get TDS if you think otherwise.

    DCA was designed to be a filler park. It was not designed to even hold a candle to it's predecessor. TDS on the other hand was meant to be equal with TDL. TDR does not require a third gate because of its thematic variety, DLR however, will.

    DCA's theme limitations instantly put it lower then TDS in my view. Not a chance DCA can even come close the amount of exotic offerings TDS has.

  5. #20

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    4,272

    Re: Can DCA ever become as good as TDS?

    Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Why does it matter, as long as they keep improving the park I dont care if Tokyo has a better park them us, we have the greatest resort in the world. And if you think that too then why care, let people think DCA will always be a cheap park (means less lines for the real DLR fans)
    Disneyland Resort doesn't hold a candle to Tokyo Disney Resort.

    Grand Californian is the only hotel at DLR that compares to the ones in Japan. Their hotels aren't dated, ugly towers, but instead incredibly themed structures.

    Plus the organization of the resort alone is leaps and bounds better then Disneyland Resort.

  6. #21

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where i want to live: Mickeys house|Where i do live:FAR AWAY FROM THERE D:
    Posts
    407

    Re: Can DCA ever become as good as TDS?

    Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Disneyland Resort doesn't hold a candle to Tokyo Disney Resort.

    Grand Californian is the only hotel at DLR that compares to the ones in Japan. Their hotels aren't dated, ugly towers, but instead incredibly themed structures.

    Plus the organization of the resort alone is leaps and bounds better then Disneyland Resort.
    Well then why dont you go live there if you love it so much, have those parks ever had TRUE magic? no. just elegant themeing and alot of money. DLR was the only park ever owned and operated by walt. no matter how many of you think that somebody else could even hold a candle to the ORIGNAL magic kingdom and THEE disney hotel, then your completely wrong. i dont know how i can say how, but if it aint DLR, it aint as magical.

    okay yes.. DLR has a few problems in its management. it doesn't take much for a new CEO to get in the chair. you never know.. dont tell someone they cant do something, because they could get twice as mad and flame up in your face and prove you completely and utterly wrong.

    dont complain and say "its never going to get any better, dont dream, dont think, its just the way it is" if you think that way, its like your just sitting here waiting to die.

    There are many many many walt disney quotes that would and should give everyone in the Disney fan community, hope, and let them dream, because thats all walt ever wanted, so if you just want to complain about the American parks, then you can simply go and praise OLC for every last thing they do.

  7. #22

    • Future Skipper
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,348

    Re: Can DCA ever become as good as TDS?

    As some others have said, I don't think DCA will stay in its current state for long, but I don't think it will ever surpass TDS, just because of how amazing it is.

  8. #23

    • Disney Fan & Musician
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,764

    Re: Can DCA ever become as good as TDS?

    In my opinion, the overall theme of TDS is superior. DCA will never fail, it will keep getting better, but with the limitations to theme, it's hard to make it a better park.
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

  9. #24

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    4,272

    Re: Can DCA ever become as good as TDS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fish_in_water View Post
    Well then why dont you go live there if you love it so much, have those parks ever had TRUE magic? no. just elegant themeing and alot of money. DLR was the only park ever owned and operated by walt. no matter how many of you think that somebody else could even hold a candle to the ORIGNAL magic kingdom and THEE disney hotel, then your completely wrong. i dont know how i can say how, but if it aint DLR, it aint as magical.

    okay yes.. DLR has a few problems in its management. it doesn't take much for a new CEO to get in the chair. you never know.. dont tell someone they cant do something, because they could get twice as mad and flame up in your face and prove you completely and utterly wrong.

    dont complain and say "its never going to get any better, dont dream, dont think, its just the way it is" if you think that way, its like your just sitting here waiting to die.

    There are many many many walt disney quotes that would and should give everyone in the Disney fan community, hope, and let them dream, because thats all walt ever wanted, so if you just want to complain about the American parks, then you can simply go and praise OLC for every last thing they do.
    I never said Disneyland was bad, I just said Tokyo Disney Resort was better.

    Also, I think the arguments of "Walt made it" and "It was good enough for Walt" are all poor arguments. Just because Mr. Disney made it doesn't make it best. Walt made Disneyland's castle but I certainly don't think it is best. Have you seen 1955 tomorrowland? Walt made it, doesn't make it the best. Walt made the the original Fantasyland rides and the imagineers didn't even think they were the best. Just because Walt made it doens't mean something better can't come along.

    As for defending the Disneyland Hotel. There is no defending that outdated hotel compared to the beautiful Tokyo Disneyland Hotel. It is just plain and simple that most everyone rather have a Tokyo Disneyland style hotel then our outdated 1950's apartment building that we have today.

    Paradise Pier Hotel is again, an ugly, unthemed, outdated tower. There is no defending that compared to the detailed Ambassador Hotel of Tokyo Disney Resort.

    Grand Californian. This is hands down the most beautiful hotel in Disneyland Resort. This is OLC quality. Plenty of details, and not a visual eyesore. However, it's placement in the parks, is quite intrusive.

    Eliminate the nostalgia factor and tell me which resort is better.

  10. #25

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: Can DCA ever become as good as TDS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fish_in_water View Post
    DLR was the only park ever owned and operated by walt.
    Historical reality check: "Disneyland Resort" was conceived, built and operated by the modern Walt Disney Company under the direction of Michael Eisner. Walt had nothing to do with Downtown Disney, the Grand Californian Hotel, or that billion dollar fixer-upper in the parking lot.

    Disneyland and Walt Disney World were conceived by Walt. Disneyland was the only park for which he supervised the construction and operation.

    Walt Disney did not own Disneyland. His company, Retlaw, owned and operated the Disneyland Railroad and Monorail until 1982, when they were sold to Walt Disney Productions.

    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  11. #26

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: Can DCA ever become as good as TDS?

    Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post

    Plus the organization of the resort alone is leaps and bounds better then Disneyland Resort.
    I disagree with this statement. To get around TDR, you have to pay to get on the monorail. The entrances to The parks are on opposite sides of the resort, unlke DLR where you take 50 steps to get to the other park, and the monorail is free.

  12. #27

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: Can DCA ever become as good as TDS?

    Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Have you seen 1955 tomorrowland?
    I have. Visited it many, many times between 1955 and when it was closed for the construction of TL '67.

    Did you?

    Or are you looking with 2010 eyes at 1955 photographs?


    Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Walt made it, doesn't make it the best.
    The argument is totally bogus. The fallacy of it is temporal chauvinism -- applying the standards and sensibilities of today to those of over a half century ago.

    Citing Tomorrowland 1955 today is the equivalent of a '55 fanboy citing the amusement park standards of 1900.

    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  13. #28

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    4,272

    Re: Can DCA ever become as good as TDS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ckelef1 View Post
    I disagree with this statement. To get around TDR, you have to pay to get on the monorail. The entrances to The parks are on opposite sides of the resort, unlke DLR where you take 50 steps to get to the other park, and the monorail is free.
    Alright, besides the park, I prefer how the resort is nestled in its own secluded destination and is surrounded by water on multiple sides. The resort is situated where there is no ugly motels within view (Harbor Blvd.).

    The parks are back to back. While this is not as convient as the 50 yard walk from DL to DCA, it helps TDS create it's own identity. People can go to TDS without needing to go to DCA. No one goes to DCA without going to DL. Also, backstage is extremely efficient. The two parks share backstage facilities reducing the amount of space backstage needed.

    All partner hotels are in their own designated area. Each with easy access to the park.

    Their version of Downtown Disney shares space with the Ambassador Hotel and is much more elegant than Downtown Disney.

    Also, did you know you could take the fabulous Resort Cruiser for free to anywhere in the resort?
    Last edited by Ice101; 07-03-2010 at 05:09 PM.

  14. #29

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: Can DCA ever become as good as TDS?

    Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Alright, besides the park, I prefer how the resort is nestled in its own secluded destination and is surrounded by water on multiple sides. The resort is situated where there is no ugly motels within view (Harbor Blvd.).

    The parks are back to back. While this is not as convient as the 50 yard walk from DL to DCA, it helps TDS create it's own identity. People can go to TDS without needing to go to DCA. No one goes to DCA without going to DL. Also, backstage is extremely efficient. The two parks share backstage facilities reducing the amount of space backstage needed.

    All partner hotels are in their own designated area. Each with easy access to the park.

    Their version of Downtown Disney shares space with the Ambassador Hotel and is much more elegant than Downtown Disney
    Also, did you know you could take the fabulous Resort Liner for free to anywhere in the resort?
    well you have your opinion, and I respect it. I have my opinion also, which is based on preference. I prefer the layout of DLR, and if you prefer the layout of TDR, I respect that. And about the resort line, i knew that. I heard it from a TDS fan who loves entertainment in the parks

  15. #30

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,387

    Re: Can DCA ever become as good as TDS?

    Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Alright, besides the park, I prefer how the resort is nestled in its own secluded destination and is surrounded by water on multiple sides. The resort is situated where there is no ugly motels within view (Harbor Blvd.).

    The parks are back to back. While this is not as convient as the 50 yard walk from DL to DCA, it helps TDS create it's own identity. People can go to TDS without needing to go to DCA. No one goes to DCA without going to DL. Also, backstage is extremely efficient. The two parks share backstage facilities reducing the amount of space backstage needed.

    All partner hotels are in their own designated area. Each with easy access to the park.

    Their version of Downtown Disney shares space with the Ambassador Hotel and is much more elegant than Downtown Disney.

    Also, did you know you could take the fabulous Resort Cruiser for free to anywhere in the resort?
    They are really working on making DCA have its own identity. Why do you think they have that whole expansion/remodel going on? Surely people won't visit DCA without going to DL anyway, but the expansion surely is going to help keep people at DCA for a longer amount of time than they currently do.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. All the best wishes for good luck and good health to Terry Pratchett.
    By ni_teach in forum Disney and Industry Theatrical, Music and Publishing Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-17-2007, 09:52 PM
  2. Good Night, And Good Luck special event
    By ALIASd in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-07-2006, 10:45 AM
  3. Good Luck and Good Night
    By ah schucks in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-06-2005, 08:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •