View Poll Results: Can DCA be as good as TDS?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, with enough theming and attention to detail, it definitely can

62 55.86%
  • no, DCA is destined to fail and always be in the shadow of DisneySea

49 44.14%
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Re: Can DCA ever become as good as TDS?

Based on the lists on the DLR and TDL websites:

DCA will have approximately 31 attractions, 6 of which are 'E-tickets'. (Soarin', Screamin', ToT, Grizzly, RSR, TLM)

DisneySea will have 32 attractions, 3 of which are 'E-tickets'. (Journey, Indiana Jones, ToT)

• Out Of State AP Holder

In terms of theming, I don't believe that DCA will ever amount up to that of Tokyo Disney Sea. But after the exspansion, DCA will become a much better park then it was before. Even though the theming won't be as extreme as Tokyo Disney Sea, I'm pretty sure that no matter what I'll be able to go there and have as much fun as I've been having there since 2001.

• =)

To my knowledge, TLM hasn't been billed as an E-ticket, Mr. Carter. It's more on a scale somewhere between HM and the Fantasyland dark rides.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    To my knowledge, TLM hasn't been billed as an E-ticket, Mr. Carter. It's more on a scale somewhere between HM and the Fantasyland dark rides.
    The argument, as I've heard it, is that the label of E-ticket isn't being applied to TLM because today's guests don't view dark rides in that light. I disagree with that idea, and see a sufficient level of detail/quality in the attraction to to consider TLM an E-ticket.

Of course, I also have to think there's a rather large range of experience within the label 'E-ticket'. Journey to the Center of the Earth, Indiana Jones and (hopefully) Radiator Springs Racers are on a different level compared to Grizzly, Soarin' or Screamin'.

• Banned User

Isn't that Storm simulator ride considered an E ticket--or am I mistaken?

oh and to the original question--no. not unless they they were willing to tear down have the park and rebuild it... the layout will never allow the park to be as good as Disney Sea, nor will the theming.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Theophilus Carter View Post
    Based on the lists on the DLR and TDL websites:

DCA will have approximately 31 attractions, 6 of which are 'E-tickets'. (Soarin', Screamin', ToT, Grizzly, RSR, TLM)

DisneySea will have 32 attractions, 3 of which are 'E-tickets'. (Journey, Indiana Jones, ToT)
    If Soarin' is an E-Ticket so is Storm Rider.
    If Screamin' is an E-Ticket so is Raging Spirits.
    And 20k is most certainly an E-Ticket as well.

Isn't that Storm simulator ride considered an E ticket--or am I mistaken?
    Isn't it just a retheme of Star Tours? Wouldn't that make it more of a D-ticket?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    If Soarin' is an E-Ticket so is Storm Rider.
    If Screamin' is an E-Ticket so is Raging Spirits.
    And 20k is most certainly an E-Ticket as well.
    Then th at brings the e-ticket amount for TDS up to 6,meaning they have the equal amount of E-tickets, and nearly the same amount of attractions

• Banned User

/\Except for the fact that Mermaid is a D Ticket.
    Quality... Quality...

Isn't it just a retheme of Star Tours? Wouldn't that make it more of a D-ticket?
    Isn't Star Tours a E Ticket? Plus Storm rider has actual effects in the theatre, not just a movie screen.

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin77 View Post
    Isn't Star Tours a E Ticket? Plus Storm rider has actual effects in the theatre, not just a movie screen.
    I don't look at Star Tours as being an E-ticket at this point, but if Storm Rider is closer to Star Tours II than the original, then I would think it would be reasonable to call it an E-ticket.

• Banned User

I don't look at Star Tours as being an E-ticket at this point, but if Storm Rider is closer to Star Tours II than the original, then I would think it would be reasonable to call it an E-ticket.
    Look at a video of storm rider, than decide. With that ride, there is more than meets the eye.

• Minion

1. Right now, I have more feelings for the old parking lot. It was functional, fun and right next to Disneyland. DCA opened and did not fulfill any of my expectations of what a second Disney theme park ought to be. The management fumbled the ball.
    2. DCA is making some attempts to get serious about being next to Disneyland. It makes me a bit mad now that DCA management looked upon us as fools, thinking we would pay to enter this park. If it wasn't for being a passport holder, I probably would not have entered the park at all.
    3. No comparisons until DCA operates in a serious mode. Then I can make some valid comparisons.

• The one, the only...

I think that DCA was designed with the wrong theme and the wrong motivation (just to increase income not quality of Disney Experience.) Now DCA still could be as nice as TDS, but it would really take a big injection of money and re-theming. Look right now even after all the money spent, DCA will still have the ugliest section of any Disney park, the Wharf area. It is butt ugly with rust and decay its main themes. DCA also will have Condor Flats, which theming is peeling paint and stucco. No section of DCA is really immersive. Take Hollywood Backlot. Do Muppets, Monsters and Aladdin really go in Hollywood? DCA is a just a jumble of loosely connected ideas. Walt themed lands. He put a Mule Train, Shooting Gallery, and Mine train in Frontierland. He put Space Flight, the Monorail, and Home of the Future in Tomorrowland. Somehow Walt immersed his guests in each section of Disneyland with a cohesive theme. DCA was built by managers that just through stuff at the wall and hoped something would stick. Are Bugs really an attraction in California? Do giant potatoes talk to you at piers in California? Are working animation studios located on backlots in Hollywood? Do animation studios have talking turtles in them? I could go on. There are many examples of poor theme concepts and poor planning. DCA just is a jumbled mess of stuff that has little to do with everything around it. Then there is the over all theme. Do people from California (or other states for that matter) really want to visit California, or a some make-believe version of it? I think that the overall theme is fundamentally flawed.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I think what's even more telling is that this question is even being asked, nearly a decade after both parks opened.

Paradise Pier is THE worst imagineered district/land in all of Disney history. With off the shelf rides, carney rides and games, it's imagineering gone shipwrecked. And each attempt to rescue the theme of the land is comparable to an episode of Gilligan's island. And it's pathetic that the largest body of water in DCA wasn't even used until this year, when only now is used for only one evening show. And now that body of water is useless for any other attractions. Not to mention, the entire parklayout is a disaster.

TDS was designed with several different coherent lands, each one, with a distinctive theme that takes your imagination to different times and places, and even works in several different Disney characters.

Even after the 1 plus billion makeover (and face it, with all the money spent on DCA since opening day, they spent close to a billion on "improvements" before they even approved the additionasl billion plus makeover) it still won't be taking you to all the places that TDS currently takes you too. And no doubt, TDS will have more attractions than it currently has now.

It's laughably safe to say that DCA will still be WAY behind in the design, layout, details, fantasy, coherent themeing of TDS even two decades from now.

• Minion

DCA had such a bad start where TDS bloomed from the get-go and this bad start is what has made DCA such a negative icon. The problem for me is that one is in Tokyo the other in Anhaeim. So while TDS could be the best themepark in the universe, I will never know it and since I can not explore it then for me its not the best.

Its all a matter of perspective. Can DCA be better then TDS? For me whats better? I have no clue pictures online, videos online and trip reports do no justice to the experince. Therefore the question is...is DCA a park worthy of a full day? For me yes.

Can it be better then TDS? Doesnt need to be its in its own country on its own agenda. It is what it makes itself to be.
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast