• Disneyland Goober

Disneyland for Thanksgiving?

Hey everyone, I had some questions about going to Disneyland for Thanksgiving day. I'm thinking about going there since I won't be going home for the holiday. I've been there for the weekend, but not on the actual day of Thanksgiving. What is it like? I saw the menus or rather "turkey" dinner options at many of the restaurants, but do any besides special hotel events and the Blue Bayou require reservations? What are the hours for that day? How busy is it that day...I already know the weekend is incredibly crowded (not the most fun experience). Anyone have anything to share about going on Thanksgiving? Thanks.

• Cast Member

Re: Disneyland for Thanksgiving?

Thanksgiving itself is just a not so big day. It's so-so to me in terms of how many people are in the park. They reallly don't do anything extra special cause of the holiday. You're lucky to see even changes in the menu for that day. I mean, if you've seen it before, you know that Thanksgiving is just another day before Christmas. All the Christmas decorations are on display. It's like you wouldn't know that Thanksgiving even existed if it weren't for the fact we get pins to wear for that particular day.

Honestly, I just wonder why people go to Disneyland for the holiday? Thanksgiving and Christmas are the 2 biggest days you should spend time with your family, at home. Or somewhere else OTHER than Disneyland.

Still puzzles me to this day.

But I guess if you don't have family around right now, then that's an option.

It's the day after Thanksgiving that's ugly. Trust me.

Bye.

• Disneyland Goober

Thanks for the input. I don't really care if there's a big hoopla for the actual holiday, I'm just wondering about crowds. If I get turkey though, I'd be happy. Honestly, it might be better if it's not all decked out for the holiday for it would be a sad reminder of where I'm not. As much as I would love to join my family, I just moved and I won't be able to make it because of work and other circumstances. Pretty much it might just be me and my boyfriend and although I love cooking, it's a lot of food and work for two people. Also, my boyfriend wants to see the Christmas decorations and within our schedules it's actually the only time we can go. Well, I'll see what I do. It's hard not being able to be with my family, but it might be nice to go to my other favorite place full of memories. Thanks again.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by gumby
    Honestly, I just wonder why people go to Disneyland for the holiday?
    No family live nearby and all that work cooking a full turkey dinner for just 2 is just too much work so we let DLR do it for us!

• nothing like the sun

Quote Originally Posted by gumby
    Honestly, I just wonder why people go to Disneyland for the holiday? Thanksgiving and Christmas are the 2 biggest days you should spend time with your family, at home. Or somewhere else OTHER than Disneyland.

Still puzzles me to this day.
    Some of us are going to DL with our family for Thanksgiving. The whole tradition of dinner is, frankly, overrated. It's only a big deal if you have a lot of relatives (that you like) whom you only get to see once or twice a year. Whereas I'm one of the black sheep of the clan (along with my mom and brother, who I'm going with) who long ago lost the desire to spend the day with her basket case cousins or watch her grandma ingest a box and a half of wine and proceed directly to Maudlin. DL is a lot more fun.

Besides that, we haven't had a family vacation in five years--I started and graduated college in that time. And my mom's looking forward to not cooking. Sure I'll miss the deviled eggs, but I'll have ample opportunity to strap on the ol' feedbag when I get to CA...we're stopping at the Crab Cooker in Newport first.

• Disneyland Goober

Maybe I'll see you all there...I'm really pulling for going. Like I said before, if I can't be with family (my first year away), why not go to somewhere with many memories (memories with family).