Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

• Minion

It Is Time To Stop the Holiday Haunted Mansion Overlay...Build a Nightmare Attraction

As I have previously stated in another thread, the Haunted Mansion is going to be closed before Labor Day.

For the first time since the overlay began, the Mansion will be closed in August and before Labor Day. The Haunted Mansion will be closed beginning on August 30 through September 16. Usually the Mansion closes the Tuesday after Labor Day for the overlay installation, but since Disney moved up the start of Halloween Time which begins on Friday, September 17, the refurb was moved up. The Mansion is a popular attraction that has always been open for the Labor Day Weekend/Marathon Weekend, which is a popular weekend. But Disney is closing the Mansion after Disney's "summer season" ends on August 29. This year Disney's "summer season" began on June 11 and ends on August 29.

Halloween Time begins in the summer but fall/autumn begins on September 22. Disney is cashing in on the crowds that Halloween TIme brings. It is OK with me but Halloween season starting on Sept. 17? Closing the Mansion before Labor Day?

It is time Disney stops the overlay of the Mansion. The Holiday overlay is popular, I know, I like it but I love the original version of the Mansion more. Now with the refurbs, the original Mansion is available for only 7 months in the year.

Disney should build a new dark ride with all the same elements in the Hollywood Section of DCA. There is room. A Nightmare Before Christmas - Jack's Adventure would fit the Hollywood movie theme. The ride could be a tour of Jack's House in Halloween and Disney could add new elements that are not found in the overlay. Build it where Monsters Inc is located.

I guess as I get older - I am becoming a Disney purist. Disneyland now has Halloween Time as another season. It would be nice to see the outside of the Haunted Mansion in Septmeber and October with pumpkins and traditional fall decorations and not a mix of Christmas decorations with Halloween things. The inside of the Mansion could be changed slightly like a Haloween cake and Halloween party in the ballroom scene. This could be done overnight and no need for a lengthy refurb and it keeps with the Halloween theme. And the ghost host could say the same line.."a swinging wake" And Disneyland could still theme the HM for the Halloween Time promotion.

Let me know your thoughts and ideas.

Re: It Is Time To Stop the Holiday Haunted Mansion Overlay...Build a Nightmare Attrac

I don't think it is time to stop the overlay and an attraction built.

The cost of the overlay is probably minimal and the downtime of the attraction serves as a refurb time.
    Having to spend millions on a new attraction when it could be done for minimal investment would not make much business sense.

I also do not think a Nightmare attraction would have the same appeal to most guests as the yearly overlay. the overlay serves as a traditional HOLIDAY makeover that fits in well with the rest of the Holiday offerings. I don't think that seeing Christmas all year long would be as appealing

• Minion

Re: It Is Time To Stop the Holiday Haunted Mansion Overlay...Build a Nightmare Attrac

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I don't think it is time to stop the overlay and an attraction built.

The cost of the overlay is probably minimal and the downtime of the attraction serves as a refurb time.
    Having to spend millions on a new attraction when it could be done for minimal investment would not make much business sense.

I also do not think a Nightmare attraction would have the same appeal to most guests as the yearly overlay. the overlay serves as a traditional HOLIDAY makeover that fits in well with the rest of the Holiday offerings. I don't think that seeing Christmas all year long would be as appealing
    You are correct about the cost of the overlay. But a Nightmare attraction would also help DCA attendance and the outside of the attraction could be themed like the Nightmare movie.

I do not think it is appealing to have Christmas stuff all over the Haunted Mansion for 4 months. The original should be year round.

• Parking Lot > DCA

I too wish that the Mansion was available in it's original glory during Halloween. I used to be very against the HMH overlay. Partially for the reason that I really don't like Tim Burton at all, and partially for the fact that I was (and still am) sick of seeing Jack's face plastered on everything from fingerless gloves, to fedoras, let alone having a whole ride overlay dedicated to the movie for what seems like forever. I don't think I would be to opposed to him having his own ride in DCA, but we'd have to see.

• Banned User

Well......

Haunted Mansion Holiday is a great overlay because it can run during Halloween and Christmas. It fits in with both holidays. It's a Halloween Town that celebrates Christmas. Fits with both. If this were on just about any other attraction it would be great.

But then there is the issue of the overlay taking over a Haunted theme attraction that fits perfectly with Halloween. So, than there is the debate of whether you have an overlay that should run two season, run those two seasons, or have the scarier version of the attraction take over that Halloween theme.

Personally, I am fine with the overlay for now however, I do feel that it needs to go away in the next 5 years.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Personally, I am fine with the overlay for now however, I do feel that it needs to go away in the next 5 years.
    That is how I feel too pretty much. I would like to see the merchandise phased out too in that time period, but I don't see it happening, they make way to much money off of it.

• Dreamer

I can't look at it anymore. Ever since they do that, I always found myself visiting a Disneyland park during that season and since the Haunted Mansion is my number one priority ride, I can never enjoy it in it's original state.

I think they should leave Nightmare Before Christmas out of the park, I've never seen the connection other than that Walt Disney Pictures produced and distributed it, plus I, too, can't stand to look at Jack Skellington's face anymore.

I wish they would do something. I can't stand HMH. It reminds me of a tacky hot topic. I just can't wrap my head around how so many people love it, I guess I don't see the appeal.

Last time I went around the holidays, I couldn't stand seeing it in the park, and Haunted Mansion is one of my favorite rides.

• Minion

Longer down time you say? this can only be good and bad in equal measure. I agree though, if Jack Skellington is so popular, surely a full attraction would be money well spent.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

put it up after halloween.

That's all I want.

• Who are you again?

having a NMBC attraction year round can and most possibly will get a little confusing

I mean really, who would ride a The Nightmare Before Christmas ride in the Summer?

(ok, I would)
    Hello? I seem to be in some sort of inter dimensional dimension with no way in or out....Send Help! and Pie! pumpkin peferably

• Banned User

What happened to imagination people? That's what this thread is about. Possibility. Let's talk about the subject and leave budgetary/business concerns to the people who get paid to think about it, shall we?

I've often wondered if they will ever incorporate Holidayland, one of Walt's original ideas into the park. Perhaps the old Festival Arena? A Nightmare ride could easily fit there. I don't see it fitting in DCA.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Haunted Mansion should be left alone as it is for Halloween. It is a classic dark ride, great as it is, and far better in original format than with an unrelated movie tie-in at all. There is no logic to the inclusion of the Nightmare characters (cartoony) operating in a realistic antebellum mansion, and no story as to why that would make sense. I love the movie Nightmare on it's own merits, but it has nothing to do with the HM, and needs to go away and not come back in "holiday overlay" format.

• Jack's Posse

Well The Nightmare Before Christmas Crew has a widely popular fanbase. So many people would want to ride it. Therfore that is why it is soo packed during the Halloween/Christmas season. So I don't think it would end anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by MainStreetJake View Post
    Mike's funny. Dirty as a mud wrestling tournament, but funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    Mike Skellington: He is what everyone says is wrong with the internet generation, and I love the ******* for it!
    Mike Skellington
    My Tumblr.....Pretty Please Follow!!!!!!!!! And I'll follow you back.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    I don't see it fitting in DCA.
    Nothing fits in DCA. It should still be the parking lot.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast