Will we be able to park hop into DL during candlelight

If candlelight will have shows at 5 and 8 pm and its going to take place by the train station, will people be able to get into the park during the those times? (my idea for our last night is to stay at DCA until closing at 9 and then hop over to DL until closing) I'm concerned now that they won't let us into the park.

any thoughts?

• Master of Disaster

Re: Will we be able to park hop into DL during candlelight

i wouldnt recomend it. youll be trapped on main street for a long slow walk if you do.

• Long live the Fire Lord

Shouldn't be any worse than the parades though. Just hop on the train.
    "What single word is the name of a magazine, a cereal, a board game, and a never-ending series of soul-crushing disappointments which slowly leech away your hope and idealism until you are nothing more than a bitter husk of a man?"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybirdman
    Shouldn't be any worse than the parades though. Just hop on the train.
    NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!

I could be wrong, but I would SWEAR that the trains will NOT run before, during or immediately after Candlelight unless it's been verified that it's back in the Tomorrowland Theater. The last I had heard, it was back on Mainstreet which would mean the WHOLE TRAIN AREA is out of commission from the better part of the evening....isn't it? The Trumpets are up on top of the station house, and the entire 1000 voice choir and living christmas tree are taking up the whole area in front of the train station.

You couldn't PAY me to park hop during Candlelight if it's back at the trainstation. Think pictures of Vietnam during the evacuation and you will BEGIN to picture how crowded and chaotic it will be.

Either get into the park an hour before the show or stay away until about an hour after.

BE AFRAID!! BE VERY AFRAID!!

• Dont make me unfriend you

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan
    Think pictures of Vietnam during the evacuation and you will BEGIN to picture how crowded and chaotic it will be.

BE AFRAID!! BE VERY AFRAID!!
    LOL! Very well described. I've never been to candlelight, but I can understand what you are saying.

OK, so I need to spend at least one of these evenings in DL- preferably both since I love DL at night, especially at Christmas time. I will only be in town Sat-Mon.

As long as we're in DL by 3pm and stay away from Main Street until after 9pm, we'll be OK, right? I mean, I know it will be crowded, but it shouldn't be nuts away from the area...right?

I'm thinking we'll stay deep in DL until closing Saturday. Then on Sunday, we'll get over to DCA before 2 or 3pm and maybe try to sneak back into DL after DCA closes.

What about getting in and out by Monorail? I'm thinking this might be good for dinnertime.

Anybody have experience trying to avoid the Processional?

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks

...snip

What about getting in and out by Monorail? I'm thinking this might be good for dinnertime.

Hmmm.... Why not stay at DCA (your original plan) and then Hop **INTO** DL using the Monorail? All you have to do is exit DCA, walk through Downtown Disney, board the Monorail, and enter in Tomorrowland, thus avoiding the whole Main Street crowd thing.

As for crowds, though Main street will be crowded, you can still move through it, (just takes longer). Disneyland (in my experience) usually has much, much better traffic management than Magic Kingdom at WDW, but I digress...

Check with City Hall at DL, maybe DCA, and as long as they are allowing hopping duiring Candlelight, you should be able to get in, either on Main Street or better using the Monorail. Also, I have seen times when Main Street was too crowded to allow safe movement, that they would open an area backstage behind the Main Street shops to move people through.

No guarantees, but it seems like it should work, especially after 9:00 PM, just make sure, that if you want to enter on Main Street, be sure to enter **before** Candlelight ends, as the crowd exiting DL will be large.

IHTH

CU@DL

Andy

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks
    OK, so I need to spend at least one of these evenings in DL- preferably both since I love DL at night, especially at Christmas time. I will only be in town Sat-Mon.

As long as we're in DL by 3pm and stay away from Main Street until after 9pm, we'll be OK, right? I mean, I know it will be crowded, but it shouldn't be nuts away from the area...right?

I'm thinking we'll stay deep in DL until closing Saturday. Then on Sunday, we'll get over to DCA before 2 or 3pm and maybe try to sneak back into DL after DCA closes.

O.K....There's crowded....and then there's 240 people in a phone booth. Think phone booth plus another 40 or so. I've been to around 5 or so Candlelight evenings and following the ceremony, the park was always INSANELY crowded. Your only real hope is if it rains. You have to factor in:
    a) It's a weekend.
    b) It's a CHRISTMAS weekend.
    c) It's a 50TH ANNIVERSARY weekend
    d) Candlelight has it's own followers that come every year dating back to who knows when.
    e) 1000 voice choir with orchestra + family members & friends who've come to see them plopping themselves all around mainstreet. And when it's over...all of the participants want to EAT!!! LINES LINES LINES!!! IT'S TERRIBLE, I TELL YOU!!! (Not the ceremony...just the crowd!)

Not trying to scare you...just trying to give you a heads up. These two nights could be worse than the 50th kickoff and anniversary.

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan
    O.K....There's crowded....and then there's 240 people in a phone booth. Think phone booth plus another 40 or so. I've been to around 5 or so Candlelight evenings and following the ceremony, the park was always INSANELY crowded. Your only real hope is if it rains. You have to factor in:
    a) It's a weekend.
    b) It's a CHRISTMAS weekend.
    c) It's a 50TH ANNIVERSARY weekend
    d) Candlelight has it's own followers that come every year dating back to who knows when.
    e) 1000 voice choir with orchestra + family members & friends who've come to see them plopping themselves all around mainstreet. And when it's over...all of the participants want to EAT!!! LINES LINES LINES!!! IT'S TERRIBLE, I TELL YOU!!! (Not the ceremony...just the crowd!)

Not trying to scare you...just trying to give you a heads up. These two nights could be worse than the 50th kickoff and anniversary.

Hmmm.... In my experience it is crowded, but not quite this bad. I've been going to Candlelight since 1997 (since 1999 with friends from "The Club". and I don't find the park as crowded as localdisnyfan has seen it on Candlelight days. Of course, nothing (in my experience) was as bad as **any** New Years Eve, or July 4 (been there both of thes days, not sure I'll be doing that again).

If this is the time you have booked your vacation, just be aware that it will be extra crowded, but, not as bad as it sounds (again, in my experience).

What are you going to do? If you have a vacation, booked, just go, try to do what you want, it just may take longer to get places, or do things, but it is not impossible or impassable.

BTW: I'm sad that this will be the first year since 1997 that I will miss Candlelight, though crowds are bad (but not unmanageable), it is the cold (like last year) that gets me. My old joints just can't take the cold (bummer!).

This message Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

Hi,
    This is going to sound like a stupid question but when is Candellight this year and does anyone have any idea who's doing the reading this year ?
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

Quote Originally Posted by CuatDL
    Hmmm.... Why not stay at DCA (your original plan) and then Hop **INTO** DL using the Monorail?
    No, that was Tigerlaw. MY original plan was to be in DL both evenings ALL evening and maybe spend a few hours at DCA one morning. (But I never posted that.)

Different question...it seems logical that Saturday would be more crowded than Sunday...can anyone back me up on that? It might make more sense to spend Saturday night in DCA. The only thing is, it is our first evening there, so I know we will want to be in DL. If it's going to be nearly equally crowded both nights, we'll just bite the bullet and spend saturday in DL. We'll just soak up the atmosphere and stay away from attractions...we don't mind crowds as much as lines. We can go back to DL Monday and hit all the e-tickets early.

• Disney Fanatic

OK....now I'm concerned.

Can I get into the park for the first time for the day at the monorail station?

We have 9 tickets to Balcony seating for the 9:00 fantasmic. We won't be able to get to the park until approximately 6:00pm.

This is our only plan really for the evening, we don't plan on doing rides since we knew in advance how busy the park would be.

Five of us are staying at the DLH but the other 4 are staying off property.

• Party Planning King

I'm also on the situation where I will be arriving Sat. during candlelight. Having never actually entered the park using the monorail, can someone explain? We are not a guest of any Disney Hotel and are using AP's to enter.

Also what is the running time for Candlelight?
    "Who inspects these rides anyway, Dopey and Goofy?"

• no flash photography...

you can park hop, but it will be an exercise of frustration. last year the park was so crazy busy we left dl and stayed in dca until it closed. we came back in via the monorail, which wasn't bad. I was soooo happy when the cp was canceled the next day.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rihard2000
    I'm also on the situation where I will be arriving Sat. during candlelight. Having never actually entered the park using the monorail, can someone explain? We are not a guest of any Disney Hotel and are using AP's to enter.

Also what is the running time for Candlelight?
    The Downtown Disney Monorail station has entrance gates just like the Main Entry Plaza, and it does take all type of ticket media (Heck, they used to sell tickets next to it). I have entered the park (first entry) many times with an AP, heck, a couple of times in October, I just entered to get my Gamepiece, then exited to meet friends at on the Hotel restaurants. Other times, I am running in to get a certain photo, then leaving. (There is a security check point just in front of the turnstyles.)

The policy for those boarding at DtD, it is a one way trip to Tomorrowland.

There is no "express" boarding for hotel guests at DtD, everyone stands in the same line.

If the line is long at DtD, then the Monorail staff will not fully load the Monorail in Tomorrowland, leaving two or three cars empty, so when it arrives in DtD they can get more folks into the park.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com