Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Future Skipper

Re: Besides the 1990's, Do you feel that the 1970's was another Dark Disneyland Decad

I was thinking about it this morning, I think that the 70's were actually a great decade for Disney. I'd say the only dark periods would be 1998-2004 and right now.

•   
    • Artistic integrity

Re: Besides the 1990's, Do you feel that the 1970's was another Dark Disneyland Decad

Plus .... in the 70s .. upkeep was in full force .. unlike the 90s and Aughts .. which have sucked.

By comparison to other decades .. the first half of the decade seems in some ways "sleepy" to other periods of DL history ... but it made up for it with A) Space Mountain B) big Matterhorn improvements C) Big Thunder Mountain Railroad ... all within the second half of the decade.

• Minion

On the contrary, I think the 1970s were the park's brightest decade and 1976 in particular was the peak year in the park's lifespan. Although the Main Street Electrical Parade was put on hiatus for the America on Parade because of the U.S. Bicentennial celebration, everything else in the park was at its best, long before re-theming, plussing and overlays became all the rage. Because of the Bicentennial, the fireworks show was longer than normal and done in a theme of red, white and blue fireworks.

Other sights and events of 1976: Hans, Otto and Fritz climbing the Matterhorn. Tinkerbell flight from the Matterhorn. America on Parade. Main Street Electrical Parade. Fantasy on Parade at Christmas. Rock Hudson narrated the Christmas Candlelight Processional. Spring Fling. Country Music Jubliee. Viva Mexico. Senior Citizens Days. Disneyland and All That Jazz. Date Nites. Tomorrowand Terrace concerts. Disneyland Band. Royal Street Bachelors. Dapper Dans. Banjo Kings. Pearly Band. Mariachi San Marcos.

The park's landscaping had matured from the "just planted" 1950s look it had to full-grown trees, dappled shade, mature landscaping and a true park-like quality.

And what a collection of attractions to choose from: Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland. Adventure Thru Inner Space. Hanuted Mansion. Pirates of the Caribbean. PeopleMover. Mission to Mars. Skyway. Rafts to Tom Sawyer Island. Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes. Disneyland Railroad, with the dioramas. Sailing Ship Columbia. Mark Twain Steamboat. America Sings. Jungle Cruise. Monorail. Matterhorn Bobsleds. Enchanted Tiki Room. "it's a small world." Submarine Voyage. Country Bear Jamboree. The Walt Disney Story featuring Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. Previews of Coming Attractions. GAF Photo Salon. Frontierland Gun Collection. Rocket Jets. Mike Fink Keel Boats. Peter Pan Flight. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Dumbo. Snow White's Adventures. Autopia (Fantasyland and Tomorrowland). Shooting Gallery. Alice in Wonderland. Mad Tea Party. Fantasyland Theater. Main Street Cinema. Motor Boat Cruise. Swiss Family Treehouse. Storybook Land Canal Boats. Casey Jr. Circus Train. Horse Drawn Street Car. Horseless Carriage. Omnibus. Fire Engine. King Arthur Carousel. Sleeping Beauty Castle. All the great Main Street shops. Tahitian Terrace. Golden Horseshoe Revue. Coke Corner. Cap'n Hook's ship. Skull Rock. America the Beautiful in Circle-Vision 360.

The only great thing missing was Space Mountain, which did not open until May 1977. The ticket book with admission to the park and 15 tickets cost $7.00. (The equivalent of $27 in today's dollars, for admission and 15 rides). And you could buy individual tickets at various booths around the park. And it was still relatively uncrowded, compared to today. No 2-hour waits, no Fast Passes and "working the system" was required. You just did whatever you wanted, handed over the appropriate ticket, enjoyed the attraction, then went on to whatever else you wanted to do. It was a joyful, carefree experience. What a park that was. I would easily and gladly choose to revert the park back to the 1970s version even if that meant giving up everything added from 1980 to 2010.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Don't agree with either of the topic questions.

The 1970's had some major attractions added. And if you go back to August 1969, that list would also include the Haunted Mansion! And you list the major attractions in your list. But, to get a better perspective of what was happening, you should really say what became of the closed lists. Mission to the Moon wasn't really closed, it was just updated to Mission to Mars. Carousel of Progress was moved to WDW, in preparation for using the same building for America Sings, Mine Train was closed in preparation for Big Thunder, etc - that just gives you a better overall view of what exactly was happening.

But just to summarize the major new attractions:

Country Bear Jamboree

MSEP

America Sings

Space Mt

Big Thunder

And Tomorrowland was really had some great attractions, AND it looked Fantastic without intruding and crowding the Plaza area! The world of motion was in full gear with skyway, rocket jets high in the sky, peoplemover, autopia, original subs, adventures through innerspace, mission to mars and space mt, PLUS during the 70's it had carousel of progress or america sings!

And to sum up other down and up periods:

1980 - 1986 were a down period for DL, with really only a needed remodel of Fantasyland. And this was the time that Disney was in danger of being bought out.

1987 - 1995 was an up time, with Star Tours, Splash Mt, Party Gras, Fantasmic, Toontown, Indy.

1996 - 2004 DL's worst management in it's history, started the biggest decline in Disney standards, with getting rid of MSEP for the Failed Light Magic, the Failed TL'98, Closing the iconic Country Bear Jamboree for the 3rd rate Failed Pooh, Failing with downgraded Disney standards to build on the cheap, run to fail, and "if it's good enough for 6 Flags" philosophy. During this time DL also had the deaths of guests on the dock of Rivers of America and the death on Big Thunder, and the emergency closure of Space Mt, which had to be rebuilt, the falling apart Monorail and Tiki Room, and lack of proper maintenance on DL attractions and infastructure. TL STILL has not recovered from the '98 failed makeover, and Iger admitted "we have been challenged" in regard to the failed DCA.
    Last edited by Aladdin; 07-12-2010 at 06:33 PM.

• Senior Minion

In addition to the attractions listed by the previous posters, there was a quality and quantity of restaurants, unique merchandise and employee professionalism that was far beyond anything Disneyland offered in the 90's -- much less today.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• ~*~Just a dream away~*~

Not at all! There are some great things that opened during this era... ps. I dont think the 90s were that bad either
    ✶Dreams do come true!!!✶

Think of the Happiest things ... its the same as having wings

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    In addition to the attractions listed by the previous posters, there was a quality and quantity of restaurants, unique merchandise and employee professionalism that was far beyond anything Disneyland offered in the 90's -- much less today.

Yep.....Captain Hooks Galley and Tahitian Terrace or two of the better known...but I especially miss The American Egg House(the longest line I ever waited in before ticket book elimination was for a table here....how can something that popular be gone? )
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    I especially miss The American Egg House(the longest line I ever waited in before ticket book elimination was for a table here....how can something that popular be gone? )
    "How can something that popular be gone?" is a question often asked by those who were frequent Disneyland visitors in the 60's, 70's and 80's.

IIRC, Kevin Yee wrote an excellent series of posts several years ago, from the standpoint of his firsthand experience in DL food services, about the shift from table service restaurants to ODV food carts and mall-style food courts. (The bottom line, to no one's surprise, was that it was motivated by Disney management's demand for greater profits, and came at the expense of customer experience.) I'll try to find the links.

To the point of this thread, his posts address the enormous difference in Disney management's mindset between the 70's/early 80's and the 90's.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-12-2010 at 06:27 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

I was a kid in the 70's, and some of my best memories as a kid were when my Mother took me to the park, I loved those times, the rides, shows, the spirit.........unlike today, where I check my wallet at the gate!

• Minion

I really miss the old version of the hub, with its full-grown olive trees and deep shade, where you could just kick back on a bench in the shade, relax and eat some popcorn and just watch the world go by. The entire world, as people came from all over the world to visit Disneyland. It had a true city-park-like setting, and was a great place to take a break and relax, and decide which land to go to next and what to do next. I think it was meant for that purpose when the park was designed. A place to take a breather and just enjoy the atmosphere of the park while you rested your feet. And at night, those olive trees were filled with randomly twinkling white Christmas lights, each one a separate screw-in bulb. It was a terrific spot to be, day or night. Now with the deforestation of the hub to make the sightlines for the fireworks better, the hub is nothing but a photo spot to have your picture taken next to the statue - it is no longer a place for deep shade and relaxation.

• Blew By You

No, no, no. The 70s were great. Certainly not perfect. But I can tell you that the CMs working that period were phenominal. I worked with a few who actually met Walt during a shift. Those CMs knew how to carry Walt's work ethic.

• Quintessential Studmuffin

in So Cal but my mind is in disneyland!!!

After looking back at DL history, The mid-90's to the mid-00's was the worst time for DL. From experience I've seen more grotesque guest behavior in the 90's, I guess that adds more to the negatives of the 90's in DL.

• Minion

Are you kidding? In the 70's we got The Country Bear Jamboree, The Main Street Electrical Parade, Space Mountain, the improved Matterhorn, America Sings, a Jungle Cruise revamp, The Walt Disney Story and Big Thunder (all in one decade!!!) - - we still had Tahitian Terrace Polynesian Revue and Slue Foot Sue's Golden Horseshoe Revue, Mary Blair's murals - - and the great attractions that were later taken away like Skyway, Swiss Family Treehouse, PeopleMover, Adventure Thru Inner Space, CircleVision, the Pirate Ship and Skull Rock, etc. Tomorrowland still looked mod and awesome and had high flying rocketships. The shops were cool with unique merchandise and atmosphere. The parking lot was easy (and still had the awesome modern marquee). It was less crowded. There were Big Name musical performers on stage constantly and themed weekends with very special entertainment (Alice in Wonderland Days, Mickey Mouse Club Reunions) - - and lots of street performers. Professional cast and crew featuring sexy-yet-wholesome Fullerton college students. You could go on night cruises of the Mark Twain or watch fireworks from the Pirate Ship deck. And the only major cool things we lost were Carousel of Progress, Nature's Wonderland -- and the Walt version of Sleeping Beauty Castle. America on Parade didn't do much for me, but it was fancy. And it all cost less than $20. for admission and a big ticket book!!!
    Last edited by merlinjones; 07-13-2010 at 08:32 AM.

• Minion

I, too, grew up at the park from the very late 60s through the 70s. I remember it being a great period. There were some losses, but for the most part the park was up and running with a lot of the classics we still remember and miss today, and there were many classic additions that are still with us today.

When I hired in as a CM in 83, so many of the people I worked with cited the 70s as a good time to be a CM. That decade, along with the late 60s, was a popular period at the park. Sadly the 60s was the decade we lost Walt. A sad time at the park to be sure, and something a number of the CMs with whom I worked remembered vividly. It was tough.

Some of the park's most innovative additions, however, still found their way into the park as Walt's men worked to keep his memory and legacy alive. I think Walt would have been pleased with what happened through the late 60s and on into the 70s. His men definitely had Walt's vision in mind with so many of those attractions. There was still that mix of quality and fun, with so much attention given to the educational as well.

• Minion

I think the 50's was a dark decade until the expansion in 59 came
    The 00's to me was definitely a dark decade
    But that decade is all over and hopefully Imagineers and Disneyland management step up their game again

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast