Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Minion

Re: Besides the 1990's, Do you feel that the 1970's was another Dark Disneyland Decad

If I were to go back in time to the late 1970's (if there was a sweet spot after the opening of Space Mountain but before they changed Sleeping Beauty Castle or replaced Nature's Wonderland), the only major things I might miss from today's Disneyland are the New Fantasyland facades and ride revamps (although the Pirate Ship might make up for that -- and the colorful old Eyvind Earle facades had their own animated charm), and maybe Splash Mountain (but then, I could easily watch "Song of the South" in several theatrical reissues in the 1970's instead -- and Br'er Fox & Br'er Bear were always out and about in those days so it might be an easy trade). I never thought Star Wars and Indy belonged in Disneyland so I would not miss them -- and I rarely go to Toontown or watch Fantasmic!.
    Last edited by merlinjones; 07-13-2010 at 08:31 AM.

• Minion

Re: Besides the 1990's, Do you feel that the 1970's was another Dark Disneyland Decad

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    If I were to go back in time to the late 1970's (if there was a sweet spot after the opening of Space Mountain but before they changed Sleeping Beauty Castle or replaced Nature's Wonderland), the only major things I might miss from today's Disneyland are the New Fantasyland facades and ride revamps (although the Pirate Ship might make up for that -- and the colorful old Eyvind Earle facades had their own animated charm), and maybe Splash Mountain (but then, I could easily watch "Song of the South" in several theatrical reissues in the 1970's instead -- and Br'er Fox & Br'er Bear were always out and about in those days so it might be an easy trade). I never thought Star Wars and Indy belonged in Disneyland so I would not miss them -- and I rarely go to Toontown or watch Fantasmic!.
    I couldn't have written that better myself, merlin. The two things that I would miss would be the reworking of Fantasyland, as well, and Splash. Toontown really does nothing for me, and I think it would have been great as an extension of Fantasyland (more dark rides for the classics, that kind of thing). And as good as the attractions might be, Indy and Star Tours I feel are out of place too.

• Minion

Technically, Space Mountain and Nature's Wonderland were never in operation at the same time. Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland's last day was January 2, 1977 and Space Mountain officially opened to the public on May 27, 1977. So there was no time when they were both open to the public. If they had been, that would have been the moment of Disneyland's peak, in my opinion anyway. I agree that Star Tours and Indy, though they are good and have many fans, don't really belong in a Disney park since they were based on non-Disney films.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    I never thought Star Wars and Indy belonged in Disneyland so I would not miss them....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    I agree that Star Tours and Indy, though they are good and have many fans, don't really belong in a Disney park since they were based on non-Disney films.
    Bingo.

For me, Star Tours and Indy are characteristic of the Eisner/Iger "Disney Multi-Franchise Corporation" marketing approach that continues today with Muppets, Pixar and Marvel.

Hearing Tony go on about the "relevance to the Disneyland audience" of the works of Lucas and Spielberg, I'm reminded that in the 50's, 60's and 70's, Disneyland created its own relevance.

Since the advent of Eisner in the 80's, they buy it.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Artistic integrity

If only I could take that word out of the minds to all with decision making power within Disney .... Disneyland would be better off.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123