•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Jim Warrick? (1950's Disneyland)

This is a recent addition to my collection. Would anyone happen to know where I might find information about Jim Warrick? Perhaps what he did at Disneyland?

some more info..

the grandson of Jim Warrick was kind enough to share some of his grandfather's history with me. Here it is:

Here is a little about it.

"The badge was my Grandpas. (same name) Back when they had just broke ground for Disneyland, he was working for the Long Beach Boat Shop. They were contracted to build the original boats for the Park. He also had a second job running a ship to shore taxi for the Navy.
    The way I understand it is that Disneyland's waters were under the jurisdiction of the Coast Guard, even though it was private land, due to the amount of water in area. They required a Captain, licensed to carry passengers, be on staff at the Park. Some Reps from Disney came to the Boat Shop to check on the progress of their boats. They mentioned their dilemma of needing a Capt. and my Grandpa was suggested as a solution. He worked at the Park at that job for about 3 years when the regulations changed and a Captain was no longer needed. He transferred to Maintenance Management, where he stayed until he retired in the mid 70's.
    He told me he met Walt twice but was on a first name basis with Roy."

• Closed Account

Re: Jim Warrick? (1950's Disneyland)

I would normally suggest the archives, but when I tied to find out information on early train employees, I was told they don't have any records.

Your best bet is to hopefully see if you can find a relative. Start with Google and go from there. You might also try census records. Finding stuff out like this is a huge detective-like endeavor. Good luck!

"As a former member of the Disneyland All-American College Marching Band, Jim Warrick will travel to Anaheim, California, in July to perform in a special alumni band concert to celebrate ..."

http://www.newtrier.k12.il.us/media/...epspring05.pdf

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

I have updated this post with some interesting history.

• Closed Account

Interesting.

Sosai, when did the badges go from just having employee numbers to names?
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 07-15-2010 at 08:30 AM.

• Dont make me unfriend you

The CM's name tags just had employee numbers before? Wow. I would have thought that only Tomorrowland CM's would use numbers and not names.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Interesting.

Sosai, when did the badges go from just having employee numbers to names?
    Only high-level managers and WED Enterprises executives had their names on their badges. All other WED employees got a numbered badge when they hired in. Lessees and other non-WED employees at Disneyland did not get these badges. Also, the numbered badges were issued and reissued many times over the 7 years or so they were used; they were not specific to any one employee.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Sosai X View Post
    Only high-level managers and WED Enterprises executives had their names on their badges. All other WED employees got a numbered badge when they hired in. Lessees and other non-WED employees at Disneyland did not get these badges. Also, the numbered badges were issued and reissued many times over the 7 years or so they were used; they were not specific to any one employee.
    Benson, the reason I'm asking is because Warrick's alleged grandson says his grandfather only worked at the Park for three years--presumably 1955 - 1958. If numbered badges were in use at that time, and not name tags, then perhaps this is a different Jim Warrick.

EDIT: Whoops, I see that he worked at DL until the 1970s, so he could have gotten a name badge in that time.