Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• ~*~Just a dream away~*~

Angry How to deal with people like this ...

Ok I have read other threads similar to this recently but while I was at Disneyland it seemed like we encountered this SO much more often than we normally do... To make a long story short , heres the worst example from our trip I have...

Waiting in line to take pictures with Chip & dale with my 3 and 7 year old daughters. Some rude people in line behind us were saying very loudly:

Child:"This is so stupid , these are just people in ugly costumes, they arent real!"
    Mother: (laughing) " I know look at all these little kids that think these guys are real. How stupid"

Seriously??? Why bother to wait in the line to take your picture with the character just to ruin it for the other small children waiting in line? My 7 year old starts questioning me, my 3 year old was crying about it , my 7 year old wanted to know why this woman was saying she was stupid??

How do you handle situations like these??
    ✶Dreams do come true!!!✶

Think of the Happiest things ... its the same as having wings

• I'm not really here

Re: How to deal with people like this ...

I would turn around and very politely say, "Excuse me... I don't mean to be rude, but you're kinda ruining this for a lot of people here. Please don't ruin it for the kids who believe and don't ruin it for the adults who are enjoying a bit of their childhood."

And if that failed... a swift kick in the pants.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

I think if I were to have said anything to them it would have been much ruder than that and I didnt want to get in trouble
    ✶Dreams do come true!!!✶

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I wonder why they were in line to meet the character if they felt this way.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl View Post
    I wonder why they were in line to meet the character if they felt this way.

That was what I was thinking...I think they were just basically rude people, I see no other reason for it... but this is just one of many experiences we had like this.. people just dont seem to have much respect for the people around them trying to enjoy themselves
    ✶Dreams do come true!!!✶

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDreams714 View Post
    people just dont seem to have much respect for the people around them trying to enjoy themselves
    This is an increasingly prevalent problem in our society. It's the "me me me" mentality. We're used to getting to watch whatever show on tv when we want... getting our fast food our way, on our time table... etc. etc. etc. It's all about personal gain and self over others. It is a true consumer society.

It didn't used to be this way. It used to be, what can I do to help others. It used to be a very externally focused society and then it changed to a very internally focused one.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Sock Puppet

They wanted attention. You did the right thing by ignoring them. I mean you could have given them a nasty look or say something, but that's probably what they wanted, so as you asked what you could have done to comfort your kids- just have them focus on the characters. I mean jerks are everywhere, Disneyland seems to attracted them, but you're there for the characters and you have to let it go.

yeah, and if they were that loud and rude, I was afraid of getting myself beat up in front of my kids lol
    ✶Dreams do come true!!!✶

• Minion

I'd first tell my kids that the people behind trying to ruin things just don't believe in the magic, then I'd turn around and tell the parent that if they didn't excuse themselves from the line, that I'd certainly inform a cast member of their behavior in the line. You could also tell the person that Chip and Dale are every bit as real as Miley Cyrus or the Jonas Brothers.

JW, how old was the kid, I didn't stop believing that the characters were real until I was in 7th grade
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    I'd first tell my kids that the people behind trying to ruin things just don't believe in the magic, then I'd turn around and tell the parent that if they didn't excuse themselves from the line, that I'd certainly inform a cast member of their behavior in the line. You could also tell the person that Chip and Dale are every bit as real as Miley Cyrus or the Jonas Brothers.

JW, how old was the kid, I didn't stop believing that the characters were real until I was in 7th grade

the kid looked to be about 12 i think
    ✶Dreams do come true!!!✶

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    inform a cast member of their behavior in the line.
    Nothing would happen. Unfortunately.

• Hooterville, USA

I'm afraid I would have told her to shut her pie hole!

But then again, I'm just that way.

My brain's kinda kookie!

I really like your avatar DisneyDreams714.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• The Knitting Disney Fan

With a sad look tell them "I'm sorry you have to tear people down to feel better about yourself."

What's sad is the parents are teaching the kids to behave this way.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I remember when I was planning my very first trip to Disney World with my grandson. He was 4. He was afraid of anyone dressed up in any kind of a costume. I think he really believed that that was a big mouse at Chuck E Cheese. So he would go there, and he would cry. He had a real fear. So instead of trying to convince him that Mickey Mouse was really a mouse, and Winnie the Pooh was really a bear, I told him the truth. I played some Disney videos that I had at home with characters in them, and I explained how these were people playing the parts inside the costumes, much like people dress up on Halloween. He seemed fine with that. He sooned learned to recognize all the Disney characters that he was about to see at Disney World. I wasn't going to book any character meals at first, but I changed my mind, and booked both Crystal Palace and Chef Mickey's.

When we got to Disney World, Sean had a great tme with all the characters. He was a little timid at first, but he soon enjoyed hugging them, giving them high fives, and getting their autographs. They were playing their parts, and so was he. He was a happy guest.
    Disneyland Here I Come Again!
    October 1, to October 6, 2015

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDreams714 View Post
    How do you handle situations like these??
    Don't confront or interact in any manner with the damaged people while in the presence of your kids. Focus on your kids. Move farther back in the line if you need to, but get your kids and yourself out of earshot of the damaged people immediately.

Explain to your kids that some people have had bad things happen to them, which makes them want to be mean to other people. Ask your kids if the things they heard these mean people say felt good or bad? (Your kids will say "bad!") Tell them that's exactly right, hearing things like that makes us feel bad.

Tell your kids to look around at all the fun things in Disneyland. Point out some fun things they've done that day. Tell them that the more they look at and remember the fun things, "the more those mean people will shrink... and shrink... and shrink... until they're no bigger than (point out or pick up a physically very small object and show it to your kids).. this."

To recap:
    - Do not interact with, and under NO circumstances confront, the damaged people in your kids' presence.
    - Get your kids and yourself away from earshot immediately.
    - Confirm your kids' feelings.
    - Get them to name their feelings.
    - Explain in kid-terms that someone was mean and bad to those people, and so they are being mean and bad to everyone else.
    - Focus your kids' attention on fun things.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast