Page 11 of 158 FirstFirst ... 891011121314213661111 ... LastLast

• Seeker of Fun

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

I know this takes a lot of work, but thanks so much for posting your pictures. I love the attention to detail. There's so much you miss when walking by ANY part of Disneyland, and for me, Disneyland is in the details! Great photos, thanks again for sharing!
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

About a yr ago I purchased my Canon Rebel T1i. Being a newby I have very slowly been learning how to use the different settings on my camera and my lens to achieve the picture I want. I have a LONG way to go but by reading your posts it gives me the confidence and knowledge to take the pictures I've always wanted. I have been reading over the boards for about 6 months now I have been very impressed by the time and talent you have shared with us, so thank you for your inspiration!! I can't wait to take pics of my family trip in Sept!

• Minion

8-11-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is about Selective Spot Color.

In a previous post, “Stitch’s Magical Embrace”, I showed you how to blur the background of an image so that the main focus of the picture stands out. In doing so, the unwanted distractions in the image fade away so the eye can ignore them and see only what you want it to see.

There is another very similar method of making the subject of the picture stand out yet keep the details of the background in focus. Selective Spot Color with a Black and White Background.

In this photo of Mary Poppins and Bert, I love the pose that both of them struck, but once again there was too much distraction in the background. I thought that her white dress and red accents coupled with his colorful striped jacket would have a much greater pop against a black and white backdrop rather than simply a blurred one. It gives a better sense of drama to the shot and their being in color makes them jump off the screen. Here is the original photo so you can see the difference.

The process of doing this is very similar to the blurring lesson we did before. Here is a link to the same video lesson that I used to learn how to do it. http://www.alibony.com/video/video-lesson16.htm
    It only took me about 10 minutes from start to finish. There is one VERY IMPORTANT tip that she doesn’t mention in the video. When you are painting the color back onto the image, make sure you keep letting go of the mouse button so you only do a very small portion at a time. This way if you accidently go over a piece that you wanted Black & White, you can just hit the UNDO button and not lose a bunch of your work and time.

Here are a few other examples where this process works well.

In this second photo of Stitch in his afore mentioned Magical Embrace, there was such a large percentage of color in the photo that it literally only took me about 4 minutes to process it.

In this photo of King Arthur’s Carousel, I only wanted to showcase the colorful festooning on the horses and the shiny gold poles so I only did those small details. I had to use a pretty small brush size, so it took a little longer but it gives a nice effect.

I encourage all of you to give it a try and create some dramatic images of your own.

Happy Snapping!
    © Michael Greening 2010
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

This is a great tip! I am excited to try it out.
    - Bobd

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 4Apples4Disney View Post
    I know this takes a lot of work, but thanks so much for posting your pictures. I love the attention to detail. There's so much you miss when walking by ANY part of Disneyland, and for me, Disneyland is in the details! Great photos, thanks again for sharing!
    Absolutely, it's all in the details. I can't stand it when I see people walking through Disneyland either playing on their phones or just looking down at the ground. LOOK AROUND PEOPLE! There's so much to see that only enhances your experience.

Thanks for reading.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMuse View Post
    About a yr ago I purchased my Canon Rebel T1i. Being a newby I have very slowly been learning how to use the different settings on my camera and my lens to achieve the picture I want. I have a LONG way to go but by reading your posts it gives me the confidence and knowledge to take the pictures I've always wanted. I have been reading over the boards for about 6 months now I have been very impressed by the time and talent you have shared with us, so thank you for your inspiration!! I can't wait to take pics of my family trip in Sept!
    I'm so glad I can help share some inspiration. I don't have much knowledge to give, so at least inspiration counts for something. I will have a post coming soon that will help with your Family trip! I just need to get to the park so I can take the pictures needed to complete it. We are just so freaking busy here at work that I can't seem to get a day off.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Ah another great post!

• We Go On.

This thread is not only stunning image-wise, but the commentary and tips are very enlightening.

• Minion

8-12-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is a subject very near and dear to my heart, LUNCH TIME!

Whenever you take a trip, either for a day, a week or possibly a month, meals are essential and integral parts of that vacation. It’s where we recharge our batteries; spend some quality time with our loved ones and experience new and hopefully wonderful flavors. Whether you are in Disneyland, DCA one of the resort hotels or Downtown Disney, there are exciting culinary delights in every direction. A great meal should not only be enjoyed, it should be remembered. If you are already taking pictures of your vacation, trying to preserve those memories, it only makes sense to photograph your food too.

Being a former chef and now owning a food manufacturing company, I have taken hundreds and hundreds of pictures of food. I’ve also spent way too much money on professional photographers and $500.00 per day food stylists. In doing so, I have learned a few things about photographing food.

A few tips about food photography.
    Never shoot from directly above the food. It’s not only boring but it flattens out the food and loses detail.
    Pay attention to distractions in the background. No one wants to see purses, bags or other things on the table.
    Shoot from a 30 – 45 degree angle to the food.
    Turn the most appetizing and main part of the entrée towards you.
    If using a DSLR, use a large aperture so you get in more light and have a shallow depth of field.
    DO NOT USE A FLASH unless absolutely necessary, and if you do, get farther away from the plate.
    If dining in a dark restaurant, bring the candle near the plate for soft light and ambience and increase your ISO.
    IF shooting in difficult lighting situations, be prepared to make adjustments to it later. (examples to follow)

Here are some examples of food shots from around the resort.

These are a good example of large aperture and shallow depth of field.

In these shots at Café Orleans, the lighting was very difficult because the blue awnings overhead and the blue tables made everything appear blue and cold. I had to adjust the white balance and increase the color temperature to warm up the colors and make it look like it did right before I devoured it.

Even the simple act of sharing a snack can make a nice memory like this one I shot from the hip of a family in line for It’s a Small World.

Even though I don't necessarily think too much of this photo, it is the most favorited picture on my Flickr page.

So next time you go to the parks don’t forget to savor the flavor in pictures.

Happy Snapping!
    © Michael Greening 2010

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Very nice post, that, great photos and definitely going to put those tips and suggestions to use! Thank you Hot Sauce! I work in the industry too, by the way...
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Avid Photographer!

Another thing to think about if you HAVE to use a flash is use a flash cord, and hold the flash out at arm's length from the camera, to get a side lighting. Also another GREAT investment is the Rosco Strobist Collection. It's a whole bunch of colored gels that you can tape to your flash to make it not white

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by MistrWebmastr View Post
    Another thing to think about if you HAVE to use a flash is use a flash cord, and hold the flash out at arm's length from the camera, to get a side lighting. Also another GREAT investment is the Rosco Strobist Collection. It's a whole bunch of colored gels that you can tape to your flash to make it not white
    I use the lightsphere myself...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

I'm hungry now. lol

• Whip cracker

Oh my goodness, I'm hungry now.

I agree with everyone not only are your pictures fantastic, but the commentary and tips are also great! Keep it up!
    If adventure has a name, it must be Indiana Jones ... and Disneyland

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MistrWebmastr View Post
    Am I safe to assume that a flash cord would only work with an external flash and not the on camera flash?