Page 111 of 158 FirstFirst ... 116186101108109110111112113114121136 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 2361

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

My Nikon D5000 came with an 18-55 and a 55-200mm lenses. I usually use the 18-55 almost all the time. My progression was like yours, Mike: point-and-shoot, get as far as I can with it, and then it's time to step up to a DSLR. Nikon does 5-step brackets? Cool- I'll have to figure out how to do that. I've learned how to do 3.

Sapphire-Light: welcome to the wonderful world of photography! The above advice is spot-on. Definitely go play with the cameras, see which ones you like.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• B.T.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    If you really like HDR photography, Nikon allows exposure bracketing of 5 exposures whereas Canon only allows 3. That is one thing that really makes me envious of Nikon. This is also a personal observation but from what I have seen Nikon also seems to do better than Canon for Landscape type photography.

I hope that helps.
    Hey Mike. Have you checked this out? I have not gotten one yet because it doesn't support my 30d, but I am going to get a 5d mark II once the dust has settled from the mark III release and the II's come down in price. I will pick up one of these bad boys when I do--prolly a couple months from now. No longer need to touch the camera for bracketed shots in excess of 3. Plus it has a mirror lock to get rid of mirror slap. Lastly, you can do bracketed shots in excessive of 30 secs per exposure--another anyoing canon trait. It is a little pricey but well worth it IMO if you are serious about HDR.

Promote Control - extended HDR bracketing controller

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    On Continuous mode, (at least on Canon) you would still have to hold it down for all 3 or hit it all 3 times. If you hold it down for all 3 it won't refocus. But if you press it all 3 times, it will refocus and remeter each time. However, if you set it on the 2 second timer mode, it will take all 3 photos without refocusing between them. Also, if you are on Manual Focus and press it all 3 times, it won't need to refocus because you already focused it yourself.
    Wow, I guess that I have just always used a 2 second timer when shooting multiple bracketed shots. I went home and tried it and you are absolutely right. Great HDR tips by the way!
    - Bobd

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by llamaboy View Post

Hey Mike. Have you checked this out? I have not gotten one yet because it doesn't support my 30d, but I am going to get a 5d mark II once the dust has settled from the mark III release and the II's come down in price. I will pick up one of these bad boys when I do--prolly a couple months from now. No longer need to touch the camera for bracketed shots in excess of 3. Plus it has a mirror lock to get rid of mirror slap. Lastly, you can do bracketed shots in excessive of 30 secs per exposure--another anyoing canon trait. It is a little pricey but well worth it IMO if you are serious about HDR.

Promote Control - extended HDR bracketing controller
    Ooh baby that is a nifty little tool. A bit pricey but one day I'm sure I'll give in and buy one. I've got my eye on some other new toys first.

I'm swamped at work today, so hopefully I'll have part 3 of the HDR tutorial up in a day or so.
    Here's a little bit O' Pretty for today.
    Name:  6958346229_5de36c0621_z_d.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  223.1 KB
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

Llamaboy that controller looks killer. Thanks for the link. I also found this cheaper alternative if you're feeling adventurous - seems to only work with Canon though
    http://www.hdrlabs.com/occ/index.html

Mike, the image above is excellent - and the sky is blue/black!

HDR?
    Last edited by Tiki; 03-08-2012 at 01:46 PM.
    Died in 1720 ya know...

Checkout all my Disneyland photos
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/5198394...7625048447449/

• B.T.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    Llamaboy that controller looks killer. Thanks for the link. I also found this cheaper alternative if you're feeling adventurous - seems to only work with Canon though
    Open Camera Controller Introduction

HDR?

Thanks for the link Tiki. I have checked that one out before too. The only thing that makes me nervous is building and programming it. I am a total plug and play type guy--well maybe a little more savy than that!

There is also one by OnOne software that is an Iphone or Ipad app. It is pretty cool, but the problem is you have to tether it to a laptop.

I have research a lot to try to find the best one. If you come across any more, please let me know.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    Open Camera Controller Introduction

HDR?
    Yep, HDR. However, I do take the sky from the single -2 image and put it in. I find that the skies in any HDR image always get way too noisy and grainy so I switch them out for one of the single images. It's much cleaner that way.
    (You'll see how I do it as soon as I get a chance to do the next postings)

Speaking of the next postings. I'm sorry I'm so behind on them. I'm going to try and get the next one done tonight.
    Here's a few "Pretties" for today.
    Name:  6817624484_35759f6aca_z_d.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  201.0 KB

Name:  6961141959_7b240c7f7a_z_d.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  228.0 KB

• Minion

3-11-12
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is Part 3 of the HDR tutorial.

In today’s part, we process our 5 images in Photomatix, which is the standard HDR Processing software.

First, open Photomatix and click on Load Bracketed Photos.That will bring up the window to choose your images. Simply click on the images you are processing and click OK.
    That will bring up this window where you see the 5 images we are working with. Notice I didn’t put the -3 exposure image in the group. That one will come in handy in Part 4.
    Name:  6971002643_072b8e9863_o_d.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  25.0 KB

Once you click OK, this window will appear asking if you want to align the images, which is wise if you shot the bracket hand held without using a tripod. I used a tripod, so I’m not going to check it.
    It also asks if you want to reduce ghosting artifacts which is handy if you had people moving through the image. Since I didn’t, I’m not checking that either.
    There is also the Reduce Noise box. Creating any type of HDR image adds a lot of noise to any photo so it is a good idea to check this box. The higher your initial ISO, the more noise the image will have, so you will need to adjust this as necessary.
    Name:  6971002675_c5761f1792_o_d.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  31.5 KB

Once you make those choices and click ok, your image is open in Photomatix and you have several choices of styles. (My personal choice is always to start with Exposure Fusion.) I like my images to look as much like a true to life photograph as possible. Once in a while I’ll do something different depending upon the image but 95% of what I do is Exposure Fusion.
    Name:  6824878692_a903e4796a_z_d.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  116.4 KB

I do like to take a quick peek at the other styles to see if one of them grabs me. Here is the Enhancer Smooth which is the normal HDR image starting point.
    I know it hasn’t been adjusted but right off the bat it seems way too clown barfy for me.
    Name:  6971002585_af07f1d90e_z_d.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  139.6 KB

Here is the Compressor style which is pretty good but I’ll stick with the Exposure Fusion because it gives me a little more control with the processing.
    Name:  6824878636_d88233ca2a_z_d.jpg
Size:  123.6 KB

When it comes to the Adjustment Sliders for the Exposure Fusion, there are a couple of them that seem to be the most important.
    Blending Point: The higher you slide this one, the more it leans to the over exposed images, making the image brighter.
    Black Point: For night time images, this one is pretty important because it makes the blacks blacker and improves the overall darkness and shadows of the dark areas. For most of my night time HDR images, I have the Black Point between 8 and 10. This one I have it all the way at 10.0.
    Midtone: This also controls some brightness and contrast in the image. I set it at 1.3.
    Every photo is different, so all the sliders will need to be adjusted as that photo requires.
    TIP: Process similar photos at the same time because for each new photo you process, it holds the information from the previous settings. This can save you some time. You can also save the settings as a default setting for future use too.
    Name:  6971002553_ce3819dbdc_z_d.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  122.9 KB

Once you have the settings as you desire, simply click Process and it will create the final image. Once it does that, click File – Save As and save it as whatever you want to call it.
    Here is the final image.
    Name:  6822789524_9e0a1c34d3_z_d.jpg
Size:  217.4 KB

However, this is only where the real work begins.
    As you can see, there are several hot spots like the Innoventions sign, the big strip of red neon going up the wall and where some spot lights are hitting that will need to be fixed.
    Name:  6971799045_d935cfe27e_d.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  185.4 KB

For that, we need to start working in Photoshop Elements. We will cover that in Part 4.
    Last edited by Hot Sauce 1; 03-11-2012 at 11:48 PM.

• Tom Bricker

^Great explanation in Part 3. Personally, as someone with limited time (and I know you fall into this category, too), I would be done at this point (if I used Photomatix, which I don't). The problem areas you pointed out are nothing. In my opinion, you have to weigh the time it takes to edit versus the improvements for the time. The improvements to be had here are all very, very small.

Actually, I think fixing these "issues" might be bad for the image. Highlights and lights SHOULD be bright! If you over-correct and have a perfectly even image, it just doesn't pop the same.

All "in my opinion," of course. These days I don't spend more than 10 minutes on any one image. Most of my edits are 30-60 seconds. So I guess you could say I go for quantity over quality. Then again, I'm processing lots of images for trip reports, etc., so I don't have the luxury of spending 30+ minutes on a single photo.

I think what you have here at the end of this tutorial is a perfect image.

I have nothing to say about the photos or tutorials here, just this:

Buy this man's steak sauce!

Good golly this stuff is just awesome, I can not recommend it enough! Not only is he a photographic master, he's a sauce master as well, lol.
    Last edited by Omnitographer; 03-11-2012 at 03:16 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Omnitographer View Post
    I have nothing to say about the photos or tutorials here, just this:

Buy this man's steak sauce!

Good golly this stuff is just awesome, I can not recommend it enough! Not only is he a photographic master, he's a sauce master as well, lol.
    You're Funny!
    I do have to apologize on your package because I didn't realize it was for you until after we shipped it. Diane processes the orders and gives them to me to pack up. I don't look at them in any real detail until I'm doing my part of the papework later that night. Had I known it was for you, I would have put a little surprise in there for you.

I am truly glad you like it. The steak sauce is one of my favorite sauces too.

• Minion

I'm sorry I haven't been able to get part 4 up yet. (It's a long one and will probably take about 3 hours just to post onto Micechat) I've been getting home around 2 am and been too tired to deal with the frustration of the website constantly telling me the files are too large and eliminating the spaces between every 10th word. I hope to have it up in a day or two. Here's a lovely little bit o' pretty in the mean time.
    Name:  6832413164_c273471fe9_d.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  199.0 KB

• Pilot EdForceOne

point to the files off the site instead of using attachments.. and you can compose the whole thing online and just copy/paste in. Works so much better when composing big things.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Mike, I was puttering about online and came across this, I've ordered card reader so I can install it on my camera tomorrow. It'll do the same stuff as that promote or the open camera gadget, but all internally.

Unified - Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki

I'll report back on how it works with my camera, it'll be really nice to have more than 3 exposures in a bracket.

• B.T.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnitographer View Post
    Mike, I was puttering about online and came across this, I've ordered card reader so I can install it on my camera tomorrow. It'll do the same stuff as that promote or the open camera gadget, but all internally.

Unified - Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki

I'll report back on how it works with my camera, it'll be really nice to have more than 3 exposures in a bracket.
    Very interesting. I would also be very interested in hearing your report on it Omni. What camera are you going to be installing it on?