Page 112 of 158 FirstFirst ... 126287102109110111112113114115122137 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 2361

• Done with MC.

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Nice pics but I have to be honest here.. I just skip over the tutorials and enjoy the images

•   

Quote Originally Posted by llamaboy View Post
    Very interesting. I would also be very interested in hearing your report on it Omni. What camera are you going to be installing it on?
    Canon 60D. I had to order a card reader online since I have a 32GB SDXC card and that needs a special program to do things to it for loading the software. Apparently the project started as a way to improve the video features of the 5dmkii and has since been expanded to improve video and photo abilities of several camera models. I'm very keen on seeing what sort of time-lapse video I can do, since you appear to be able to slow down the video recording rate substantially. This would be much better than firing off thousands of exposures over the course of a day, too much wear and tear on the shutter mechanism for my liking.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    point to the files off the site instead of using attachments.. and you can compose the whole thing online and just copy/paste in. Works so much better when composing big things.
    I have to admit, I'm a complete neophite when it comes to this stuff. I don't understand anything of what you said.

Normally I write it all in word and then copy and paste the text in. Whenever I do that and click on preview post, it bolds and italicizes the entire thing and also gets rid of spaces between every 10th or so words. I have to read back through it very carefully finding where it removed the spaces and put them in. That alone takes about 20 minutes.

To input the images I have them all on Flickr. I have to click on each image, click on the medium size, copy the URL and then paste it into the input image dialog box. Sometimes it tells me the image is too big, other times it doesn't, even though that image is bigger than the other one. The largest image I can put in is something like 600 x 400 which makes it hard when I'm trying to show certain details or compare one image to another. When they are that small, you just can't tell any difference.

My next post has 29 or so images in it. The way I'm doing it now will take at least 2 hours just to post it, let alone writing it. (writing it takes less time than posting it.)

If there is a better and/or faster way, I would LOVE to know.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    Nice pics but I have to be honest here.. I just skip over the tutorials and enjoy the images
    That's fine with me. I'm glad you enjoy them. Here's one for today.
    Name:  6981396413_127c4954f0_d.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  216.9 KB

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    I have to admit, I'm a complete neophite when it comes to this stuff. I don't understand anything of what you said. [...]
    If there is a better and/or faster way, I would LOVE to know.
    All your images are coming through as attachments - hence the big limitations and no direct links to the original images either. When you use inline images, you can put any image size. The site used to automatically resize them on the fly and let people see the original size by clicking them. I think that feature didn't survive the site upgrade and right now inline images are shown at whatever resolution the URL points to.

Yes, there is an easier way, and let me share so you can better share your knowledge with us!

Step 0 - The reason it's all bolded/etc when you first paste in is because you are using the WYSIWYG version of the editor to start. That is interpreting things besides just your text characters when you paste and other goofy defaults. Open the advanced version of the Micechat editor.. top left corner.. first two buttons (a/A, etc). You want to be in Source mode, not WYSIWYG.

1 - Create Text - Open a text editor (preferred instead of a word processor, but either will do).. type in all your text. Ignore formatting, only focus on paragraph breaks and header lines. Put place holder text in where you want to put in a picture.

2 - Upload Images - Put images on site like flickr if not already

3 - Insert URLs - Go through your text, and for each image placeholder, go onto flickr, select the image size you want to show, copy the image URL for the image (the JPG one, not the webpage link), and replace your placeholder text with the image URL enclosed in bbcode tags for image. So put in [img] url [ /img] (space intentionally put in front of the closing / to make it show up here in the post)

4 - Start new post in Micechat - Create the thread, put in the title. Select all from your text editor, and paste into advanced editor in Micechat.

5 - Massage/correct - Click the Preview button, check all images are loading as expected, if not go back and fix any typos. Preview all formatting/paragraph breaks, and add bold/italtic etc where desired.

6 - Final Preview - preview again, repeat until right, and then submit post.

Tweaks:
    - you can add image URLs in as you go.. but I find it distracting while I'm trying to write my concepts.. so I push all the URL insertion to a later step.. but that is just practice, not a rule. Do as you are comfortable or mix it up!
    - you can put formatting into your raw text draft very easily if you want to instead of using the micechat editor and reading through. Just use the [b] [i] [u] tags to format text. Use Size and color too if you want. Close a tag with the matching [/something] tag. It's easy to see what tags are used for what by experimenting in the Micechat editor and just looking at things in source mode.

- add URLs to your images. If you want the image to be clickable to the flickr page, incorporate the URL into the image link as well. do the following.. but drop the space in the closing tags.. used again so they will show up in posts.

[url=http://link/to/web.htm][img]http://link/to/file.jpg][ /img][ /url]

Example:

Hope that helps, and please keep sharing
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Name:  6981396413_127c4954f0_d.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  216.9 KB
    Absolutely amazing picture!
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

As an addendum to the (great) advice that Flynnibus gave, on Flickr, click Share>Get HTML/BBCode, toogle to BBCode, and use that.

Honestly, though, for bulk hosting, Flickr is about the worst thing you can use because it doesn't retain the original image filename for the URL name.

For example, if I upload to Photobucket or most other websites, the final url for photos is consistent, with /filename at the end. Thus, I copy the Image BBCode ONCE, paste it multiple times, and then just go through my text and change the BBCode as necessary.

That probably doesn't make sense, so here's an example...

I copy and paste the following into my document:

[img]photobucket . com/WDW001.jpg[/ img]

...all at once. Then, I go back and edit so the images are...

[img]photobucket . com/WDW002.jpg[/ img]

[img]photobucket . com/WDW003.jpg[/ img]

[img]photobucket . com/WDW004.jpg[/ img]

Of course, this requires batch renaming in my photo editing program, but that takes seconds (since I batch resize anyway, it's no extra work). May not be as necessary for you, but when you're posting a trip report with 100+ images, this process is a huge time-saver.

• Pilot EdForceOne

I just hate flickr for their god aweful 'sets', extra clicks to get to various sizes, and navigator Smugmug may not have the video features as other sites (but why bother when you have youtube) but its clean and all business. Not slammed with ad junk like imageshack and to a lesser degree photobucket.

Just my .02

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    All your images are coming through as attachments - hence the big limitations and no direct links to the original images either. When you use inline images, you can put any image size. The site used to automatically resize them on the fly and let people see the original size by clicking them. I think that feature didn't survive the site upgrade and right now inline images are shown at whatever resolution the URL points to.

Yes, there is an easier way, and let me share so you can better share your knowledge with us!

Step 0 - The reason it's all bolded/etc when you first paste in is because you are using the WYSIWYG version of the editor to start. That is interpreting things besides just your text characters when you paste and other goofy defaults. Open the advanced version of the Micechat editor.. top left corner.. first two buttons (a/A, etc). You want to be in Source mode, not WYSIWYG.

1 - Create Text - Open a text editor (preferred instead of a word processor, but either will do).. type in all your text. Ignore formatting, only focus on paragraph breaks and header lines. Put place holder text in where you want to put in a picture.

2 - Upload Images - Put images on site like flickr if not already

3 - Insert URLs - Go through your text, and for each image placeholder, go onto flickr, select the image size you want to show, copy the image URL for the image (the JPG one, not the webpage link), and replace your placeholder text with the image URL enclosed in bbcode tags for image. So put in [img] url [ /img] (space intentionally put in front of the closing / to make it show up here in the post)

4 - Start new post in Micechat - Create the thread, put in the title. Select all from your text editor, and paste into advanced editor in Micechat.

5 - Massage/correct - Click the Preview button, check all images are loading as expected, if not go back and fix any typos. Preview all formatting/paragraph breaks, and add bold/italtic etc where desired.

6 - Final Preview - preview again, repeat until right, and then submit post.

Tweaks:
    - you can add image URLs in as you go.. but I find it distracting while I'm trying to write my concepts.. so I push all the URL insertion to a later step.. but that is just practice, not a rule. Do as you are comfortable or mix it up!
    - you can put formatting into your raw text draft very easily if you want to instead of using the micechat editor and reading through. Just use the [b] [i] [u] tags to format text. Use Size and color too if you want. Close a tag with the matching [/something] tag. It's easy to see what tags are used for what by experimenting in the Micechat editor and just looking at things in source mode.

- add URLs to your images. If you want the image to be clickable to the flickr page, incorporate the URL into the image link as well. do the following.. but drop the space in the closing tags.. used again so they will show up in posts.

[url=http://link/to/web.htm][img]http://link/to/file.jpg][ /img][ /url]

Example:

Hope that helps, and please keep sharing
    Quote Originally Posted by WDWFigment View Post
    As an addendum to the (great) advice that Flynnibus gave, on Flickr, click Share>Get HTML/BBCode, toogle to BBCode, and use that.

Honestly, though, for bulk hosting, Flickr is about the worst thing you can use because it doesn't retain the original image filename for the URL name.

For example, if I upload to Photobucket or most other websites, the final url for photos is consistent, with /filename at the end. Thus, I copy the Image BBCode ONCE, paste it multiple times, and then just go through my text and change the BBCode as necessary.

Of course, this requires batch renaming in my photo editing program, but that takes seconds (since I batch resize anyway, it's no extra work). May not be as necessary for you, but when you're posting a trip report with 100+ images, this process is a huge time-saver.
    I have no idea what language you guys are speaking but it's all Greek to me. Like I said, I am a complete neophite when it comes to this stuff.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFigment View Post

Bulk image dumping is one thing, and it can be slower to do on flickr than photobucket, but tbh, i wouldn't touch photobucket with a ten foot pole. Filenames really aren't that important anyways, it's the metadata that matters, which is where your photo title and caption should be saved. Maybe I'm a bit biased though, I use Lightroom with a 3rd party flickr extension.

• Pilot EdForceOne

I have no idea what language you guys are speaking but it's all Greek to me. Like I said, I am a complete neophite when it comes to this stuff.
    You're already doing all this.. just don't use the image/link buttons in the editor.. instead you use tags. The way the forums mark up plain text to something 'fancy' is the form of tags.

Tags are just special text sequences used to enclose some text to tell the software 'treat me differently!'

The simple form of this is look at the text that is quoted when you reply. The text starts with a [QUOTE] tag and ends with a [ /QUOTE] tag. The way you bold text is simply with a [B] tag, to make a picture display, you use a [IMG]http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/ tag.

When you are composing a post in Micechat, the editor where you are entering text can be be in one of two modes. 'Source' mode where all the tags are shown 'as is' and WYSIWYG mode, which is where the editor will show you what the final result will look like.. you don't see or enter tags in that mode. You use the buttons at the top. Switch your editor to source mode and leave it there.

WYSIWYG is nice for point and click - but as you see when you are making these posts, its slow and ineffective vs manually doing things when you are doing the same thing alot.

What you want to be doing is not 'attaching' the files to your post, but rather linking to them 'in line' in your post.. so when the post is viewed, the image is grabbed from flickr and displayed for the reader on the fly. When you do this to point to images hosted on another site, this is referred to as 'hotlinking' because the file is never copied to the local site.. just displayed on the fly. This is far more flexible, lets you pick what exact size to display, and is quicker to create.

In the rawest sense.. what you are going to do is view the picture you want on Flickr.. in the size you want (click on the View more sizes icon).. then right click on the image and say 'copy image location'. That is the URL to the JPG itself.

If you just pasted the link itself in your post like this http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7046/6...7c4954f0_b.jpg the forum will automatically format it as a clickable link. But if you put a [img] tag around it, it will be displayed as an inline image like this

That's all it takes for the basics. Just quote my post and in the editor you will see the tags used to make things show up like they do as long as you are in Source mode (that a/A icon at the top right).

Now.. what people like to do is not just show the picture, but also want to link to the website hosting the picture so people can see other sizes, etc. Additionally, technically by Flickr's terms of service you MUST do this when linking to images off their site. To do this you must have the URL of the website for the picture, as well as the URL for the image itself. To do this, you nest the [img] tag inside a [url] tag. Quote my earlier post to see the format used.

But as WDWFigment pointed out, Flickr actually can give you the full tagged blob of text automatically. Just view your image on flicker, click the share button, go down to the bottom where it says 'Grab the HTML/BBCode' option. Chose the BBCode selection, and then just copy and paste the text into your post.
    Seen here:

Example:

Patterns of Light... by Ring of Fire Hot Sauce 1, on Flickr

Now not only is the image displayed on the page, but you can click on the picture and jump automatically to the Flickr page for the picture. You can see Flickr also adds in text about your flickr name, etc

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Minion

Well so far none of those tips are working. I'll keep trying.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Well so far none of those tips are working. I'll keep trying.
    No space inside the. Losing tag. It should be [/img] not [ /img]. The space was in the posts before so they would be visible. Look at the tags used in the example images in the posts. Just quote the post and you'll see the text

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Minion

3-14-12
    Today's "Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day" is Part 4 of the HDR Start to Finish tutorial.
    In this episode, we take our image that we just processed in Photomatix and open it in Photoshop Elements. (NOTE: I will be doing a lot to this image that you may or may not think is necessary. I am doing it simply to show the steps that are used in most images like this and that you will need for some of yours.)

Once you have opened the image in PSE, then also open the -2 exposure image. (for this one I am using the -3 exposure image because the lighting was so intense in certain areas.) You can see both of the images in the Project Bin on the bottom of the screen and that the -3 exposure is the one visible in the main editing window.
    Name:  6971002735_0e23cd2c42_z_d.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  58.9 KB

The first thing we want to do is click on the Photomaitx image down in the project bin and drag it right on top of the -3 image in the main editing window.
    Name:  6971002775_3ba667520e_z_d.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  74.4 KB

This is what it should look like in the Layers Panel on the right side of the screen.
    Name:  6824878764_703a8dd558_o_d.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  13.8 KB

In the photo above you can see the little square button with the circle in it, second from the left on the bottom, that is the Add A Layer Mask button. You can also see that we are working on the Photomatix image since it is the one with the white line and black around it. That is what we will be adding a Layer Mask to by clicking that button. Now a white square will appear next to that image in the Layer Panel.
    Name:  6824878776_4fc241ee4e_o_d.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  10.4 KB

Over on the left of the screen is our Tools Palette. At the bottom of this is the Colors buttons that are the Black and White Squares. We want the Black square to be in the foreground, so we are working with black. Also choose the Brush tool that is the one in the top of this screen capture. If yours is a Pencil, right click it and choose Brush. By painting with Black, we are actually painting over the image with the -3 image below it. (Note: It was Gregg Cooper that taught me to tone down the bright spots by layering in the -2 image. THANKS GREGG!)
    Name:  6824878792_c6e1a7f464_o_d.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  3.5 KB

At the top of the page is the other Tools Panel where we choose the Brush Size and its Opacity. I am choosing a size of 45 pixels and I start with an Opacity of 10%.
    Name:  6824878812_276a7861c4_o_d.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  4.7 KB

I'm going to start with this over exposed red line that runs down the center of the main wall. I just paint over it bit by bit until I have a nice even exposure on it. Each time you go over it, and re click the mouse button, you add another 10% of the darker image below.
    Name:  6824878832_cbd925fbed_z_d.jpg
Size:  35.5 KB

Here is what we end up with.
    Name:  6971002893_6e84619b0e_z_d.jpg
Size:  38.6 KB

Now I am going to do the same thing to the Innoventions lettering and the really bright spot on the wall behind it to the right. Adjust the brush size as needed for each spot.
    Name:  6971002923_a6142bc0f3_z_d.jpg
Size:  160.0 KB

It took about 5 swipes over the Innoventions letters and 10 for the wall.
    Name:  6824878944_970271da48_z_d.jpg
Size:  155.8 KB

Now the same thing for the wall behind it on the left, paying special attention to the bright red neon.
    Name:  6824878962_da1dda50d8_z_d.jpg
Size:  144.8 KB

After
    Name:  6824878998_12905a16d9_z_d.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  134.7 KB

If you look at the Layer Mask box over in the Layer Panel, it should look like this.
    Name:  6971003031_12f485a71a_o_d.jpg
Size:  9.7 KB

Now for the bright spotlight in the bottom right corner of the image. Before:
    Name:  6824879054_4753ccd22a_o_d.jpg
Size:  28.4 KB

After
    Name:  6971003079_34bf1d2550_o_d.jpg
Size:  26.7 KB

I'm also going to do the same to the bright spotlight near the top of the building.
    Name:  6824879112_7fa93c4b48_z_d.jpg
Size:  129.6 KB

Once I've cleaned up all the really bright spots I am going to increase my brush size to 400 and drop the Opacity to 5% to go over any other spots in the photo that are a little too bright.
    Name:  6971003115_307090e372_o_d.jpg
Size:  4.7 KB

The metal globe Innoventions sign definitely needs a little toning down.
    Name:  6971003157_d4a380a514_z_d.jpg
Size:  99.1 KB

Like I said before, creating any type of HDR image really adds a lot of digital noise to the image. The skies are the most affected by this, especially day time skies. Even though you can't tell by looking at this one, if I were to blow it up and print it, you would see some noise in the sky. For that reason I am going to take the entire sky from the -3 image and put it on this one.

Over in the Tool Panel, choose the Quick Selection Tool.
    Name:  6971003327_df4c993f88_o_d.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  3.1 KB

Then drag it across the sky to select the entire sky. You will need to get in close and clean up the selection by either using the Add Brush or the Subtract Brush that is in the top of the page next to the brush size selection. You want to make sure you aren't catching part of the building or leaving parts of the sky unchanged. They would definitely show up if you blew it up and printed it.
    Name:  6971003351_546314f01a_o_d.jpg
Size:  27.0 KB

Now in the Tools Panel, choose the Paint Bucket tool.
    Name:  6824879352_e635841b04_o_d.jpg
Size:  1.4 KB

With an opacity of at least 75% (or 100% if you choose) put the bucket into the sky area and click it and it will fill the entire selection with the other sky. You can see in the Layer Mask what it looks like now. All the black area is the -3 image that you painted into it.
    Name:  6824879362_87b2579c21_o_d.jpg
Size:  4.9 KB

Once I'm completely happy with it, I go to Layer, Flatten Image to combine the layers into one.
    Name:  6824879166_6efe26da26_o_d.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  17.4 KB

This is what the image looks like now.
    Name:  6824882840_19434c2d76_z_d.jpg
Size:  214.8 KB

I will also be doing a little work with Nik Color Efex. If you don't have this program, no worries, just ignore this part. (you can actually get most of the same effect using Photoscape, the free program that I mention a lot) I'll show that in Part 5.

I go to Filter - Nik Color Efex Pro.
    Name:  6971003237_d8f5c96d12_z_d.jpg
Size:  99.0 KB

The first thing I like to do is choose the Brilliance & Warmth tool. For this one I am going to increase the Brilliance to 57 which makes the colored lights a little more vibrant.
    This photo has a lot of red to it which overwhelms some of the other colors so I am going to drop the Warmth down to 40, just to cool it off a touch. Click OK
    Name:  6824879186_769a5db7ed_z_d.jpg
Size:  93.6 KB

You can see that it automatically creates its own layer that it applies the changes to. The effect is a little strong so I am going to drop the opacity of that layer to 75%.
    Name:  6824879252_512d553e84_o_d.jpg
Size:  10.0 KB

Then open the same tool again and choose Tonal Contrast. This one is very strong and adds a ton of texture and saturation to the image. I don't worry about adjusting each slider individually because I am going to adjust the opacity of the entire layer to where I like it. I just use the standard settings it automatically chooses.
    Name:  6971003307_4589109c6b_z_d.jpg
Size:  110.5 KB

Once again, you can see that the Tonal Contrast is its own layer, so I am going to drop the opacity of that layer to 25%. A little of Tonal Contrast goes a long, long way. To see the before and after all you have to do is click the little eyeball next to the layer and it turns that layer off and on.
    Name:  6824879372_f7013a36c5_o_d.jpg
Size:  13.1 KB

Here is what the image looks like now.
    Name:  6824880514_014d4a0f85_z_d.jpg
Size:  222.5 KB

At this point, I'm done with it in Photoshop Elements. I click on Layer - Flatten Image and then save it as a jpeg. For most people this would be the end of it. Not for me. I am going to make a few more slight adjustments to it in Photoscape. Even though I could do all of it in Photoshop Elements, it is faster, easier and easier to control in Photoscape. I'm also showing it for the people that don't have Nik Color Efex so they can improve the image this way. We will go over all that in Part 5.

Happy Snapping
    Michael Greening 2012

For a complete directory and direct links to all of these posts, please click here: http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/140579-disneyland-photo-day-50.html#post1056358940

Quote Originally Posted by Omnitographer View Post
    Bulk image dumping is one thing, and it can be slower to do on flickr than photobucket, but tbh, i wouldn't touch photobucket with a ten foot pole. Filenames really aren't that important anyways, it's the metadata that matters, which is where your photo title and caption should be saved. Maybe I'm a bit biased though, I use Lightroom with a 3rd party flickr extension.
    Photobucket was just an example because it's one site I know of that uses /filename.jpg for the photo URL. I'm not saying the filename is important to preserve, but if you're posting (not dumping) images in bulk to a site like this, it's GREAT to have a consistent URL scheme so you don't have to copy+paste, copy+paste, and so on with each individual photo. Instead, you can copy, paste paste paste paste, and then go back and change a single digit in each of the identical URLs that you posted.

It may not make a huge difference when you're only posting 5 photos or so at a time, but when you're creating a post with dozens of photos, it saves a ton of time.