Page 117 of 158 FirstFirst ... 176792107114115116117118119120127142 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,755 of 2361

• Minion

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Quote Originally Posted by KEBSD View Post
    I can't thank you all enough for your help.
    I bought the "original Nifty Fifty" lens that you described, which I now realize is not the lens that I should have purchased. It's too bad it's too late to return it... Oh well.
    Ebay it!
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• 10 Year Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    Ebay it!
    Haha, alright!

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 10.13.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 19

If you have any ideas for future tutorials, please let me know. I'm running on empty.
    How about a land by land "favorite places" to shoot from, or interesting places to shoot for a moon composition? Just some random ideas.

I too have loved reading this thread!
    - Bobd

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

---------- Post added 04-25-2012 at 12:35 PM ----------

Out of curiosity, do you have children?
    I ask because some of the questions you pose sound like something a parent would ask. Not having children, I sometimes don't think about those things.

Hot Sauce,

Yes, I have two small boys, 2 & 6. In fact my whole intereste in Disneyland started with taking my 6 year old (who had just turned two) for the very first time when I was in Anaheim for a convention. I am sure my wife will say, I haven't been the same since

I am the same guy who has been sending you all the PMs about basic camera and photography questions the last couple of weeks. I figured that I would actually start on the boards and be a real contributive member.

So at least for the forseable decade plus, my Disneyland trips will be kid and family focused. That is unless I am able to get a DSLR and somehow make a run on the 10 to Mickey's Place by myself to test it out.

As for other ideas, what about these:

Shooting inside Mickey's House in Toontown
    SHooting from the Train (non Grand Canyon and Primeval World)
    How to properly shoot a character breakfast.

Just a few more thoughts.

Mike

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bobd20011 View Post
    How about a land by land "favorite places" to shoot from, or interesting places to shoot for a moon composition? Just some random ideas.

I too have loved reading this thread!
    Loving these ideas!
    I'm going to be there this Sunday, Monday & Tuesday and now I have a huge shot list to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by mpabis525 View Post
    ---------- Post added 04-25-2012 at 12:35 PM ----------

Out of curiosity, do you have children?
    I ask because some of the questions you pose sound like something a parent would ask. Not having children, I sometimes don't think about those things.

Hot Sauce,

Yes, I have two small boys, 2 & 6. In fact my whole intereste in Disneyland started with taking my 6 year old (who had just turned two) for the very first time when I was in Anaheim for a convention. I am sure my wife will say, I haven't been the same since

I am the same guy who has been sending you all the PMs about basic camera and photography questions the last couple of weeks. I figured that I would actually start on the boards and be a real contributive member.

So at least for the forseable decade plus, my Disneyland trips will be kid and family focused. That is unless I am able to get a DSLR and somehow make a run on the 10 to Mickey's Place by myself to test it out.

As for other ideas, what about these:

Shooting inside Mickey's House in Toontown
    SHooting from the Train (non Grand Canyon and Primeval World)
    How to properly shoot a character breakfast.

Just a few more thoughts.

Mike
    I did one a while back on Mickey's House. It's an interesting one because of the different lighting in there. Basically, if you can't shoot in RAW and have the ability to change the color temperature, set the white balance on Tungsten and check each shot. Some spots only work on Tungsten, others work best in Auto. And use a flash when you get to Mickey but make sure you aren't on Tungsten for that one.

Shooting from the train...... Interesting.... Kind of a what there is to photograph and tips for doing it.

I'm working on a full Character breakfast one. I still have to do the breakfast at Paradise Pier and Disneyland Hotel to finish them off. I just don't know when I'll get the chance for those ones. I do FIRMLY believe that a Character breakfast is a must if you have children and want to take pictures with characters. Yes, the breakfast is over priced but the time you save not standing in line for characters is a better use of the time vs. cost factor. It's also a lot of fun.

A lot of these are hard for me because I don't have children and people don't take too kindly of me photographing their kids.

Do you know when you will be visiting Disneyland again? Maybe we could meet up and I could photograph yours.

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

Loving these ideas!
    I'm going to be there this Sunday, Monday & Tuesday and now I have a huge shot list to work on.

I did one a while back on Mickey's House. It's an interesting one because of the different lighting in there. Basically, if you can't shoot in RAW and have the ability to change the color temperature, set the white balance on Tungsten and check each shot. Some spots only work on Tungsten, others work best in Auto. And use a flash when you get to Mickey but make sure you aren't on Tungsten for that one.

Shooting from the train...... Interesting.... Kind of a what there is to photograph and tips for doing it.

I'm working on a full Character breakfast one. I still have to do the breakfast at Paradise Pier and Disneyland Hotel to finish them off. I just don't know when I'll get the chance for those ones. I do FIRMLY believe that a Character breakfast is a must if you have children and want to take pictures with characters. Yes, the breakfast is over priced but the time you save not standing in line for characters is a better use of the time vs. cost factor. It's also a lot of fun.

A lot of these are hard for me because I don't have children and people don't take too kindly of me photographing their kids.

Do you know when you will be visiting Disneyland again? Maybe we could meet up and I could photograph yours.
    Hot Sauce,

I had mentioned in an email earlier about our impending trip in November right after Veterans day. Well, that has changed. My wife didnt go for pulling my oldest out of school for four days. As a result we are now looking at the end of September when he has a few days off and Touring Plans shows a reasonable forecast. If you can, you are more than welcome to tag along with us.

Awfully jealous that you are going back again.

We did the breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen on our last trip but surprisingly few characters were there. At the time it was hard to figure out how to get a shot of them without so much stuff Going on behind the scenes. Regardless we are going to do it again as one our new traditions.

Mike

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mpabis525 View Post
    Hot Sauce,

I had mentioned in an email earlier about our impending trip in November right after Veterans day. Well, that has changed. My wife didnt go for pulling my oldest out of school for four days. As a result we are now looking at the end of September when he has a few days off and Touring Plans shows a reasonable forecast. If you can, you are more than welcome to tag along with us.

Awfully jealous that you are going back again.

We did the breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen on our last trip but surprisingly few characters were there. At the time it was hard to figure out how to get a shot of them without so much stuff Going on behind the scenes. Regardless we are going to do it again as one our new traditions.

Mike
    Ooh, late September is a really good time to come. Nice weather, moderate crowds and Halloween decorations all over the place. Keep me updated!

Also, the Minnie & Friends Character Breakfast is the best one. It is in Disneyland, you can make reservations for breakfast before the park opens and it has its own entrance line, which is really cool. They walk you in, past the rope and around to the restaurant. Then after breakfast, you are already in Disneyland and ready to go. I do it all the time.
    Last edited by Hot Sauce 1; 04-26-2012 at 02:40 PM.

• Minion

4-27-12
    Today's "Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day" takes a look at the Rule of 3rds as it applies to horizon lines and the true mathematical formula from where it comes.

I want to preface this article by saying that I am fascinated with math. I am not a mathematician by any means, nor am I very good at any kind of advanced math, I just love playing with numbers. I distinctly remember what it was that got me hooked on math. I was in 3rd or 4th grade and our classroom went into the school auditorium to watch a video called "Donald in Mathemagic Land". If you have never seen it or heard of it, it is an absolute must. It's Walt Disney animation at its best.
    Here is a link to the entire video on Youtube.

The Rule of 3rds in photography is based on the Golden Rule, Golden Mean, Golden Rectangle or whatever you want to call it. The actual formula is not 1/3rd to 2/3rds. It is 1.618 to .382, which means instead of 33%, it is 38.2%. When you put this proper percentage into practice, it's amazing how well it works. An example of this is when you hang floor length curtains. If you measure up 38% from the floor to the top of the curtain, that is where the swag should hang. It is the most visually pleasing balance. (yes, I studied Interior Design for 5 years and we had to use this formula all the time)

When photographing a scene with a horizon line such as a seascape or landscape, you have to decide where to place the horizon line in your composition. You can put it right in the middle, you can put it on the upper third, or on the lower third. You can also put it wherever you feel is the right spot for that photo. I recently shot a seascape where I put the horizon in the upper third of the photo because it gave the best composition and let the rocks and water in the foreground stand out as the most important feature in the photo.
    Name:  6972056062_efe582e51b_z_d.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  175.5 KB

So how does all this apply to taking pictures at Disneyland? Paradise Pier is the perfect place to use the Golden Mean. The horizon line is where the surface of the water meets the buildings like Ariel's Grotto. Why don't I stop rambling and just get to the photo examples. I took these photos of Ariel's Grotto and the reflection of it on the water.
    The first photo shows the horizon line in the middle of the frame. It looks ok but it is a pretty boring composition.
    Name:  6970959638_c5a7fff6cb_z_d.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  247.2 KB

Next I put it in the upper third of the frame and it is really bad. I get the whole reflection but it just looks wrong.
    Name:  6970963354_9081ebe156_z_d.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  195.9 KB

Next is the bottom third. It is definitely the best of the three but isn't as visually pleasing as it could be.
    Name:  7117037053_fb233d1dfe_z_d.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  199.3 KB

Now, if we follow the actual golden mean and put it at 38% it is a much nicer composition.
    Name:  6970965200_423ea60346_z_d.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  201.3 KB

If you watch Donald in Mathemagic Land and any of this math stuff interests you, I highly recommend a little book called The Fabulous Fibonacci. It's very easy to understand and really fascinating.

Happy Snapping!

​38%.... interesting. I usually look at the rule of thirds composition and see what it needs, and modify it from there. I'll have to keep this new rule in mind! Thank you!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Minion

I'll be at Disneyland for the next 3 days shooting tons of photos. Thanks for all the tutorial ideas. I'm looking forward to trying them out.
    Here's some pretty for while I'm gone.

In Bloom... by Ring of Fire Hot Sauce 1, on Flickr

Wow- that's some pretty, for sure!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Here is a link to the entire video on Youtube.
    I was looking for a copy of this on youtube a while back and for some reason was unable to find it. Thanks! Love the photos and your tutorials, I can't want to see what you can do with carsland open!

• Minion

Just got home from 3 days in Disneyland and taking tons of photos for more tutorials. Sadly, I had solid gray cloud cover for every moment, even the night time of those 3 days. That gray sky hampered some of what I wanted to do but we have no control of the weather so we do what we have to do.

I should have some new stuff up in a few days. Until then...

A Family Affair.... by Ring of Fire Hot Sauce 1, on Flickr

• Minion

Here's a little bit o' pretty for today. I'm working on a new post but the weather I had at Disneyland (nothing but overcast gray blah!) has made it take a little different direction.

Blue Water, Blue Sky... by Ring of Fire Hot Sauce 1, on Flickr

• Minion

Sorry I still haven't gotten a new tutorial up yet. Darn work keeps getting in the way. Soon! I promise! Here's a bit o pretty for today.

Two Pair... by Ring of Fire Hot Sauce 1, on Flickr