Page 118 of 158 FirstFirst ... 186893108115116117118119120121128143 ... LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,770 of 2361

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Thats ok, I still enjoy looking at your "pretty" while we wait.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    9-22-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is going to visit Picture Spots.

If you are going to Disneyland and want to capture the iconic pictures of the park as well as your loved ones, there are several “Picture Spots” located throughout. Disney selected these locations because they are not only picturesque in their own right but make great backgrounds for family pictures. They can be really helpful if you are short on time and want some great photos.

There are two types of Picture Spots. Some of them are marked with signs and are on the Disneyland Maps, others are simply "Implied" spots that are obvious picture taking locations.

Since I couldn’t get anyone to pose for me, Plush Mickey will once again be our model.

First up is the Floral Mickey in front of the Train Station at the entrance to the park. (Plush Mickey was so enthralled with the floral of him that he wouldn't turn around and face the camera) "Oh the Vanity!"

Next we have the Rivers of America with the Mark Twain in the background.

The Sword in the Stone in Fantasyland is meant to be taken from two different points of view. (I only had a picture of one of the signs but they are on both sides of it.)

This one is on the pathway from Pixie Hollow towards the Matterhorn.

(This would have been the classic Partners Statue shot but there was a long line of people waiting to take their picture there so I had to take it from a different angle and Plush Mickey was so busy looking at Walt that he wouldn't turn around.)

Here's Big Thunder Mountain on the pathway to Fantasyland.

Even Toontown has some Picture Spots.

Those were the marked picture spots.

Here is a look at some of the “Implied” picture spots.

Here's the classic shot in front of the Castle. (Plush Mickey was so excited to get into Fantasyland that I could barely get him to hold still and he wouldn't turn and pose.)

DCA also has some picture spots but this is the only one I got that day. There is also one in Flik's Fun Fair. (Plush Mickey was tired and didn't want to pose for this one.)

This one, taken in front of the waterfall at Grizzly Peak shows that you don’t have to be facing the camera to make a great picture.

There are lots of other implied picture spots in the parks. If you keep an eye out for the Photopass Photographers, they are located at each of the prime locations and will gladly take your picture with your camera.

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010
    As I was looking at they photos of the picture spots that have signs on them I realized that we've never taken pictures at any of them. I think I'm going to have to this trip because they really are perfect spots.

• Minion

5-7-12
    Today's "Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day" takes a look at a problem that perplexed me and drove me crazy for several months when I first got my DSLR. Instead of a bunch of unnecessary talking I thought it might help to show you a few examples first. I put some lines or circles on the photos to show you where the problem is.
    Notice the splotch of green light in the square.
    Name:  7144053451_55be7b9fe2_d.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  168.9 KB

All the green dots of light.
    Name:  7144054483_8a99179d78_d.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  132.4 KB

More annoying green dots.
    Name:  7144059731_5e7c3d8035_d.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  139.8 KB

And more annoying than those is the reflected sign upside down in this one.
    Name:  7144057269_fb018971cf_d.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  168.3 KB

When I first got my DSLR I read several articles about how you should always use a UV Filter on your lens to protect it from scratches and keep it safe. Not one of those articles said that you should take it off at night. For the first 6 months that I had my camera I kept getting all these dots of light in my night shots. Needless to say it was very frustrating because I had no idea what the problem was. Simply put, the light was passing through the UV Filter, reflecting off the lens, bouncing back off the UV Filter and back through the lens. It was that bouncing between the lens and the filter that creates those dots of light.

I have to be honest and say that I didn't figure this out on my own. It was during the first Mice Chat Photo Meet and we were in the queue for Indiana Jones. I took a photo and saw the splotches of light. I showed it to Gregg Cooper and he said "Take off your UV Filter." Simple as that.... I felt like a idiot but it solved the problem and that was all that mattered. THANKS GREGG!

Happy (spot free) Snapping!
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Hot Sauce keep up the great work...LOVE your firework photos

• Tom Bricker

With regard to the UV filter, I'd go a step further and say that you should never use it. I know this is a divisive topic, but the UV filter does nothing except degrade image quality and protect the lens. A lens hood protects the lens and does not degrade image quality. Therefore, it stands to reason that a lens hood is the better way to protect the lens.

Also, some people may notice internal reflections even without using filters. This can occur as light bounces between layers of the glass if the glass is not properly coated. This is much more rare, but it does still happen with some lenses.

• Minion

I agree with Tom! I stopped using UV filters altogether. The UV Haze filter seemed to make my photos hazy. The only filters I use now are the ND filter for fireworks and once in a great while a Sky 1A filter for sunsets.

• 10 Year Annual Passholder

I am back with a follow up question after my 50mm lens troubles. I am now planning to order the correct 50mm lens for my camera. However, after seeing WDWFigment's advice, I am now considering buying the 35mm Nikon lens instead. Does anyone have input as to which of these I should purchase? Thanks.

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 8.23.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 18

My hubby and I just bought me the 50mm f/1.4 lens. I'd noticed that most of my shooting on my usual lens (18-55mm f/3.5) was zoomed in more and I almost never shot wide. I'd also tried a 35mm and a 50mm and liked the 50 better.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KEBSD View Post
    I am back with a follow up question after my 50mm lens troubles. I am now planning to order the correct 50mm lens for my camera. However, after seeing WDWFigment's advice, I am now considering buying the 35mm Nikon lens instead. Does anyone have input as to which of these I should purchase? Thanks.
    I have the 50mm F/1.4 and love it. However, I also am using a crop sensor camera which actually puts me at 80mm. There are many times when I am just too close to get the scene I want in the frame. The perfect example is the Hitch Hiking Ghosts. With a crop sensor and the 50mm, I can only get one of them in the frame. Even though I am very happy with the 50mm, if I had it to do all over again I would get the 35mm. (just my opinion)

• Tom Bricker

With regard to 35mm v. 50mm, it all depends upon preference, but keep in mind that the popular 50mm was originally designed for 35mm film cameras, and appears wider on those cameras.

I almost never used my 50mm f/1.8 with my crop sensor Nikon D7000, because I had the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. 30mm felt like a much more natural focal length. Now that I've moved to full frame, I'm using the 50 1.8 a lot more.

A lot of people default to the 50mm f/1.8 not because it's the best lens for them, but because it's cheap and popular. Ideally, I'd go with the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 if I were you. It's one lens I'm sad to be leaving now that I'm going full frame (since it's not a full frame lens).

• Minion

I'm getting the next tutorial prepared (it's a long one and turned out to go in a completely different direction that originally planed), so in the mean time here's a shot of Murphy that I took the other night. I was fortunate to have a friend on the fireworks crew at Disneyland who hooked us up with seats in the "B Tower" section. These are the beyond VIP seats that are right next to the control booth. Even better is we were able to shoot the fireworks at the hub and then take a liesurely stroll over to Fantasmic and show up 5 minutes before the show started.

En Fuego... by Ring of Fire Hot Sauce 1, on Flickr

​Wow! That's a great shot of Murphy!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

Quote Originally Posted by MistrWebmastr View Post
    For printing, I HIGHLY suggest prints at costco. It turns out much cheaper than having to buy & supply ink to a printer, and Costco has color profiles online for their printers. Essentially, you finish the image, and export it with the Costco Printer's color profile as a JPEG. You then submit it online, specifying that they don't mess with your image, and that you want it printed on a specific printer.

One of these days I'll look into color calibration on my monitor, but my Dell UltraSharp monitor is pretty dang close as is.

For Reference: Costco's Printer Color Profiles: Digital photo lab profiles

Not sure if anyone else has tried it but my wife and I have always used Photo Books, Photo Cards, Photos on Canvas, Digital Prints, Large format Posters and more | Winkflash. The prices are the lowest I have found on any online site and cheaper than the Costco by me. Prices start at $0.06/$0.08 per 4x6 depending on if they are running a sale or not. 8x10s are only $1.59 the last time I ordered them. Quality has always been fine to me as I would make pictures to get autographed by athletes. The only time there was an issue with a print, they corrected it and credited me for it. Good service and with shipping times it takes about 5 days. As for the specific file types, I have only done jogs so I don't know if they handle anything else.

---------- Post added 05-09-2012 at 10:08 AM ----------

Just a general question on using exposure compensation. I am a newbie to the forum but have been reading it since the beginning. Re-reading the exposure compensation pieces and now tryin to apply that to family photos, I am left wondering, when adjusting upward or downward, do you instantly see a change on the LCD screen on P&S or in the viewfinder on DSLRs? Or is it something where you only see the results when you upload them to the PC?

Thanks.

Mike

• Minion

Just a general question on using exposure compensation. I am a newbie to the forum but have been reading it since the beginning. Re-reading the exposure compensation pieces and now tryin to apply that to family photos, I am left wondering, when adjusting upward or downward, do you instantly see a change on the LCD screen on P&S or in the viewfinder on DSLRs? Or is it something where you only see the results when you upload them to the PC?

Thanks.

Mike

You will see it in the LCD immediately. Also be aware of the fact that increasing the exposure compensation will keep the shutter open a little longer (since the camera is being told to make the image brighter). If taking pictures where the subject is moving, this can result in blur.

• Loves Disney

Amazing shot of Murphy Hot Sauce, I hope I become as good as a Disney photographer as you