Page 13 of 158 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516233863113 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

8-15-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is all about taking advantage of the brief moments when the rest of your family is otherwise occupied.

That is why I am calling today’s post Bathroom Break!

If you are the person who is constantly stopping to take pictures and the rest of your family groans every time you stop to take a shot, never fear because Disneyland has photographic opportunities from virtually any location. If someone in your party utters the famous words “I have to go to the bathroom”, that’s the perfect time to take some pictures.

Here are just a few of the dozens of pictures I've taken within 50 feet of a bathroom and in most cases in direct view of the bathroom entrance so my wife could see me when she came out.

Main St. USA bathroom between City Hall and the Fire Station at Halloween.

Fantasyland, by Village Haus.

New Orleans Square

Critter Country bathrooms below Hungry Bear Restaurant

Adventureland

Tomorrowland bathroom behind Plaza Inn

Hollywood Pictures Backlot

Paraidse Pier

So if your spouse or children call themselves photo widows or orphans, put the camera down once in a while but use those rare moments when they do arise to snap away.

Happy Snapping!
    © Michael Greening 2010
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• No really, I need AAMS :)

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    LOL!!!
    The question is... are you failing miserably or is my column failing your miserably? It's probably the latter. I have a bunch more lessons planned that might help but I need to get to Disneyland to take the pictures to support the lessons. I'm just so dang busy here at work that I can't get a day off. Hopefully in the next 3 weeks or so.
    trust me when i tell you you're doing a great job, it's just a matter of having a dumb blonde reading your thread saying to herself"well this looks easy enough" and then when she takes pictures without a clue what the heck shes doing fails miserably...it's kinda like having the brilliant teacher and the kid who falls asleep in class and can't figure out how she got an F, no really i'm just starting out soooo...i don't have a clue what i'm doing...just keep posting and i'll eventually figure it out..eventually being the key word in that statement....
    Hey look, I have a flickr!!!
    I just started so all constructive criticism is appreciated
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/canhasal/

Aladdin A Musical Spectacular
    show count: 133 times

I love your pictures of the hotels! I have decided I must stay at the Disneyland hotel the next time I am there.

• Minion

8-16-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” is one that I like to call Follow the Signs.

Signs come in all shapes and sizes and Disneyland is filled with unique and creative signs pointing in every direction. Signs can make for interesting photographs either as the main subject or as the object that leads the eye elsewhere in the picture.

Here are just a few of the Disneyland signs that await your lens.

So the next time you visit the “Land”, take a moment to capture the sign leading your way.

Happy Snapping!
    © Michael Greening 2010

Nice pics for sure

What gear were you using?

About to pick up a Sigma 10-20 for my 40D. Anxious to take it to DLR and see what I can shoot

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Gamedog View Post
    Nice pics for sure

What gear were you using?

About to pick up a Sigma 10-20 for my 40D. Anxious to take it to DLR and see what I can shoot
    Thank you.

I am using a Canon EOS T1i. Virtually all of my photos are done with the standard 18-55 kit lens that came with the camera. I do have a 55-250 zoom lens but rarely use it. I also just recently bought a 50mm F/1.8 lens that is a whole lot of fun but haven't had much chance to use it yet. It does work great in the dark rides though.

I really want to get a nice wide angle like a 10-20 but have to pay for my other recent big purchases first.

Thank you.

I am using a Canon EOS T1i. Virtually all of my photos are done with the standard 18-55 kit lens that came with the camera. I do have a 55-250 zoom lens but rarely use it. I also just recently bought a 50mm F/1.8 lens that is a whole lot of fun but haven't had much chance to use it yet. It does work great in the dark rides though.

I really want to get a nice wide angle like a 10-20 but have to pay for my other recent big purchases first.
    Nice.

Love my 1.8 "nifty-fifty" too. Such a great lens for the cost!

• Whip cracker

Your pictures are awesome! They're so crisp and clear! Nice work
    If adventure has a name, it must be Indiana Jones ... and Disneyland

• waitin' to board

Great photos....The clarity is outstanding. Thanks for sharing them.

• Jungle explorer

Wow! fantastic work again! I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds interest in taking pictures of sinage. all my friends and family think I'm weird for prefering to take artsy shots instead of a hap-hazard group shot in front of the castle.

thank you very much for all these wonderful tips. keep up with these great peices of art.

Say goodbye to the people onshore because you will never see them again...

then again you've probably never seen them before

Check out my first trip report! It's full to the brim with epicness.
    AND HERE IS MY NEWEST TRIP REPORT!!! It's better because it's new. and in space.

Hey Look! I'm onYouTube

• Minion

8-17-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” asks the question “What Makes a Photograph Special?”

Art critics would say it’s the composition or the contrast between light and dark or some such nonsense but when it all comes down to it, it’s the subject that gives the picture its meaning and what makes it special to you. After all, the only person a photograph needs to impress is you.

There are a myriad of reasons why a photo can have special meaning, perhaps a special occasion, a favorite place or just something that makes you laugh. Disneyland has all kinds of things that have special meaning to all kinds of people. For me, its things like famous architecture, the history of Disneyland or things from my favorite Disney movies.

Here’s a little photographic history lesson and why the pictures are special to me. Let’s start with my love of architecture and some fun little facts.

This picture was taken right outside the restrooms on the Hollywood Pictures Backlot .

Here is a picture of where those stone blocks came from, The Storer House. (photo from Bacchus Ireto on Flickr)

Built in 1923 by Frank Lloyd Wright, it was the second of four textile block houses built by Wright in Hollywood in the early 20’s. The most famous of these homes is the Ennis House which has been featured in several movies including one of my favorites “The Rocketeer”. The Storer House, until recently was owned and fully restored by movie producer Joel Silver (Raoul the director in Who Framed Roger Rabbit) and the pattern in the block is his corporate logo that you see in the credits of all of his productions.

Speaking of The Rocketeer, which is one of my favorite Disney movies, it brings me to the second photo that has a special place in my heart. The last time I was in Blue Sky Cellar I noticed this little detail referring to the Rocketeer that caught my eye.

This ceramic piece is of the diner that was featured in the Rocketeer and was an actual diner in the 1930’s. The Bulldog Diner was used not only because there really was one, but because Dave Stevens who created The Rocketeer (and played the German test pilot who blew up in the film) loved bull dogs. The name of his studio was Bull Dog Studios after his childhood pet. I had the pleasure of meeting Dave Stevens a couple of times before his untimely passing a few years ago and am very proud to own several pieces of his artwork.

Now for a very special piece of Disneyland history.
    Here are some pictures of the train station in New Orleans Square.

And here are some pictures of Ward Kimball's backyard railroad which was the inspiration for it. (photos from my friend Vass Hymas taken on the day they removed the tracks to be donated to the train museum.)

The station building itself.

A view of the station and the water tower with the crew removing the tracks.

The inside of the station.

It is a well known fact that Ward Kimball was a train buff and is the reason we have a train encircling Disneyland. A little less well known is that the New Orleans Square train station is modeled after one used in the 1949 movie “So Dear to my Heart” starring Burl Ives and Bobby Driscoll. After filming, Walt gave the 3 sided prop to Ward for his backyard railroad. Six years later when Walt was building Disneyland and was short on money, he asked for it back. Ward had already attached it to a concrete slab and added the 4th wall to make it a functioning structure so it couldn’t be moved. Walt loved the design of it so much that he had it replicated for Disneyland. Ward’s train and station was called the Grizzly Flats Railroad in honor of where he and his wife Betty spent their honeymoon.

Ward Kimball’s train is now on display at the Orange Empire Railroad Museum in Perris, California. His train station is now the proud possession of John Lasseter, where it accompanies Ollie Johnston’s plantation scale train.

(A funny side note to the New Orleans Square Train Station. When you are at the station and hear what sounds like Morse Code, it is actually a different language that was used mostly by the railroads called Telegraphy. Before Disneyland opened, the Imagineers didn’t know what the telegraph should say so they used dirty jokes. Unbeknownst to them, Lillian Disney’s dad worked for the railroads as a telegrapher and she could understand the code. Lillian, being a proper lady did not find the jokes funny. Once Disneyland opened and Walt gave his famous dedication speech it was changed to telegraphing that speech and still does to this day.)

So, if there are certain objects or places in Disneyland that interest you, take some time to learn their history or the stories behind them and I guarantee you that even an ordinary picture of it will have much greater meaning to you and become a treasured memory.

Happy Snapping!
    © Michael Greening 2010

• Avid Photographer!

Am I safe to assume that a flash cord would only work with an external flash and not the on camera flash?
    Sorry for my late reply, I haven't been visiting as often as I should have.

No, it only works with an off-camera flash. If you don't have one.. BUY ONE!

It wasn't until I bought a 430EX II that I found out how horrible the built-in flash is. The external flash units are much smoother light, and don't make the pictures as much foreground light & background black.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MistrWebmastr View Post
    Sorry for my late reply, I haven't been visiting as often as I should have.

No, it only works with an off-camera flash. If you don't have one.. BUY ONE!

It wasn't until I bought a 430EX II that I found out how horrible the built-in flash is. The external flash units are much smoother light, and don't make the pictures as much foreground light & background black.
    I've actually been looking at the 430EX II lately. I am going to the hard ticketed Halloween party at Disneyland on October 5th so I was going to buy one for that trip. I will definitely get a flash cord when I do.

• Minion

wow amazing photos very interesting seems like a good story behind all of them

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Michael808702 View Post
    wow amazing photos very interesting seems like a good story behind all of them
    Thank you. There is actually quite a bit more story behind each of them but I figured I was being a bit too verbose as it was, so I kept it short.