Page 131 of 158 FirstFirst ... 3181106121128129130131132133134141156 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,965 of 2361

• Minion

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    I was thinking about my next trip (Maybe October...) and was thinking I should just leave my 80-320 lens home... I thought what could I possibly want a zoom that long in Disneyland for... then I saw your shots with the zoom. Ok, I still have sooooooo much to learn!

Just the top 100??? Not ALL of them? Unless maybe there will be a volume II and/or III?
    I would LOVE to have a 80-320 lens in Disneyland. There are many times that my 55-250 doesn't get me as close as I would like, even with a crop sensor camera. I've been in the front row of Aladdin with it and wished it was more. You'll be glad you did bring it.

We'll have to see what a publisher says about what I give them. I'm just hoping to get it finished and published. If I make a dime off it or work on another, that would be icing on the cake.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Minion

Here's just one more reason why I love a zoom lens. The compression of all these elements is so fun to do.

Light Compressed... by Ring of Fire Hot Sauce 1, on Flickr

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

Hot Sauce,

I am beginning to think that you could have a second career if you ever get fed up with the hot sauce business. Just hire yourself out as a personal photographer at Disneyland. It would be the best of both worlds, you get to be at the park, and everyone could be part of your amazing pictures.

• Minion

Here's some more zoom lens compression in the "Little bit o' pretty" for today.

Light Compressed 2... by Ring of Fire Hot Sauce 1, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    That's AWESOME!

---------- Post added 08-27-2012 at 10:04 AM ----------

Here's a little bit o' pretty for today whilst I ponder the next tutorial. Not that it needs much pondering. I already know what it is. The problem is I'm out of ideas after this one and won't be back to Disneyland till the 10th of September. What to do... What to do...

The Portal... by Ring of Fire Hot Sauce 1, on Flickr

Hot Sauce,

If you are still taking ideas here are a few more that I thought might be interesting to learn about if you are able to

California Adventure Parade locations
    What type of gear you pack for each photo trip to Disneyland? - there might be some things we may not think of other than the lens cap chain like you mentioned before
    How to get the best shots of the Mountain rides? Are there specific locations that are best for each?
    Store photography - what is needed to shoot pictures of the decorations inside the stores
    Thunder Mountain photography from the ride if possible
    Mr Toad and Roger Rabbit if possible
    Toon Town
    Is there anything the helps with taking group photos at Disneyland?

Obviously a once in a lifetime shot, but what about when the Space Shuttle is flying on the back of its 747 carrier to LA as it flies over Disneyland. More of a amazing shot perspective than a tutorial

Just a few more thoughts. I know that isn't 25 more but maybe a few will work.

Mike

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mpabis525 View Post
    Hot Sauce,

If you are still taking ideas here are a few more that I thought might be interesting to learn about if you are able to

California Adventure Parade locations
    What type of gear you pack for each photo trip to Disneyland? - there might be some things we may not think of other than the lens cap chain like you mentioned before
    How to get the best shots of the Mountain rides? Are there specific locations that are best for each?
    Store photography - what is needed to shoot pictures of the decorations inside the stores
    Thunder Mountain photography from the ride if possible
    Mr Toad and Roger Rabbit if possible
    Toon Town
    Is there anything the helps with taking group photos at Disneyland?

Obviously a once in a lifetime shot, but what about when the Space Shuttle is flying on the back of its 747 carrier to LA as it flies over Disneyland. More of a amazing shot perspective than a tutorial

Just a few more thoughts. I know that isn't 25 more but maybe a few will work.

Mike
    I Like it!
    I still haven't even seen the parade in DCA. I need to do that when I'm there on the 11th. I want to walk up and down the parade route, looking at where the sun is and what would make an interesting backdrop for the photos so I can determine the best locations to shoot it from.

I also like the idea of what type of gear to pack and all the ideas. Now I have to plan out my days much better when I'm there.

The Group Photo might be a tough one simply because I'm never in much of a group and if I am, we are all behind the camera and not in front of it.

Thanks for the ideas... I need them!

• Minion

Here's a little bit o' pretty for today. More compression of elements so they can compliment each other.
    I finally got all the photos done for the next tutorial. Now I just need to organize my thoughts (which hasn't been easy lately) and figure out how to lay it all out in a comprehensible manner.

Flying... by Ring of Fire Hot Sauce 1, on Flickr

• Minion

So sorry I've been absent for so long and haven't done a new tutorial in a while.
    Truth be told, we've been really busy at work (up 17% this year) but that has only been part of the problem. I've been finding it more and more difficult to find the energy and mental focus to get them done. After a lengthy and very expensive doctors visit yesterday it turns out that the pace I've been setting for the past few years has fried my adrenal gland as well as my thyroid. All of this has made me feel exhausted all the time (4-5 hours of sleep a night doesn't help either) and my mental focus has been in a fog most of the time.

With the help of several medications I should be feeling like my old self very soon. I have all the photos done and prepared for a new tutorial on the Mad T Party but just need a little time to write it all out. It's a long one!
    In the mean time, here's a little bit o' awesome for today.

Monochrome Monolith... by Ring of Fire Hot Sauce 1, on Flickr

Hope you're back to 100% soon Mike! At least you know the issues. Love your B&W of Flo's.
    Died in 1720 ya know...

Checkout all my Disneyland photos
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/5198394...7625048447449/

• Elk Grove Chris

Get some rest, as always, thanks for sharing your wonderful work.
    They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    So sorry I've been absent for so long and haven't done a new tutorial in a while.
    Truth be told, we've been really busy at work (up 17% this year) but that has only been part of the problem. I've been finding it more and more difficult to find the energy and mental focus to get them done. After a lengthy and very expensive doctors visit yesterday it turns out that the pace I've been setting for the past few years has fried my adrenal gland as well as my thyroid. All of this has made me feel exhausted all the time (4-5 hours of sleep a night doesn't help either) and my mental focus has been in a fog most of the time.

With the help of several medications I should be feeling like my old self very soon. I have all the photos done and prepared for a new tutorial on the Mad T Party but just need a little time to write it all out. It's a long one!
    In the mean time, here's a little bit o' awesome for today.

Monochrome Monolith... by Ring of Fire Hot Sauce 1, on Flickr

Hot Sauce,

We all hope you get back to feeling like yourself once again. Bummer to hear of the health issues. But where modern medicine fails, I know the cure. Head up the 5 to Disneyland for a few days. That should cure what ails you. Seriously though, get better.

Mike

• Minion

9-7-12
    Today's long overdue "Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day" goes down the rabbit hole and takes a variety of looks at the Mad T Party.

I'm not normally the type of person who enjoys going to rock concerts or watching bands play, even though I have friends that are very famous musicians and invite me to their concerts quite often. The extremely loud music and large crowd of people dancing around, most of whom should not be dancing is just not something that I ever enjoyed. I'd much rather go to a movie or a Broadway play. However, I figured I should check out the Mad T Party since it looked visually interesting and helps me with a subject that I do enjoy which is Concert Photography. The special lighting and flamboyant performers can make great photographs.

There are a few shows of the Mad T Party band each evening, one in the early evening and one later on when it is darker. Personally I prefer the later show because the darker night sky means more contrast between the stage lighting and ambient light, creating a more dramatic photo.

I arrived at the last show about 10 minutes before it began and was too late to get right up against the stage, which is where I really wanted to be. I was right behind a bunch of teenage girls who were constantly screaming like it was a Justin Bieber concert, but at least they were shorter than me so they weren't in too much of the frame. Unfortunately I was also right beside a huge corn fed kid who was jumping around like it was a mosh pit at a AC/DC concert and kept banging into me.

I took a double fisted approach to photographing the show. I used two cameras and put the 50mm F/1.4 lens on one and my 8-16mm wide angle lens on the other. I wanted to use the wide angle lens to get some interesting angles that included the entire stage and set pieces on top of it. The 50mm F/1.4 was to get nice clean close ups of the performers and use the fast aperture to freeze the action on them.

The settings were:
    Camera 1: Aperture Priority, F/1.4, ISO 400, Exposure Compensation -1/3rd and Partial Spot Metering. I left the White Balance on Auto and let the camera choose the appropriate shutter speed.

Camera 2: Aperture Priority, F/4 - F/5.6 (that is as large as this lens will go) ISO 400, Exposure Compensation -1/3rd and Center Weighted Average metering (because I was shooting a much larger scene with this lens) White Balance on Auto.

The goal of this and virtually all of my tutorials is to give you the tricks to getting the highest percentage of good useable photos. You may get a few better photos with different settings altogether but like I said, I'm after getting the most useable shots.

I'll start with the Wide Angle Lens photos and my thoughts on them.
    For the most part, this lens and settings did ok but was too slow for it and the majority of the photos were a little blurry from their movement. The average shutter speed was between 1-80th and 1/125th. I could have increased the ISO to get a faster shutter speed but with that kind of intense lighting, that also increases the digital noise in the lights. Most cameras can easily handle an ISO of 800 or even 1600 but I tried to keep these as clean as possible.

The wide angle lens was nice for getting entire group shots like this one. (This is straight out of the camera and no post processing was done)
    F/5.6, ISO 400, Shutter Speed 1/125th.
    Name:  7910273458_6aaa996668_d.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  191.5 KB

I brightened up this one a tiny bit but am not a big fan of how intense the red and blue lighting is.
    Name:  7910281284_7287da93cc_d.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  190.2 KB

When you have a situation where the color of light isn't what you like, don't hesitate to make it black & white.
    Name:  7910277608_8cec6b0dd3_d.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  123.6 KB

The other thing that I wasn't too fond of with the wide angle lens was the distortion it creates. When I turned it vertical to get the entire stage, it stretched the legs of the performers making them look like they were on stilts.
    Name:  7910265386_e739a81c19_d.jpg
Size:  173.4 KB

Name:  7910300818_01a3cec417_d.jpg
Size:  192.5 KB

Now for the 50mm F/1.4.
    I liked the speed that such a large aperture was giving me with speeds ranging between 1/250 and 1/1250. However, a Prime Lens like the 50mm F/1.4 does have some drawbacks when shooting at F/1.4.
    1. If you are close to your subject, the depth of field is so shallow that only a small part of it will be in focus. the rest of it will be soft. If you are far away from your subject like on Pirates of the Caribbean, it isn't a problem at all. This lens isn't really super sharp at apertures below F/2.5.

Let's start with the shots at F/1.4, ISO 400, Exposure Compensation -1/3rd. SOC (straight out of camera)
    At first glance, this photo looks pretty good.
    Name:  7910293444_2c160e87d5_d.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  123.0 KB

But if we crop it to get a closer look, you can see that his face and hand are sharp but the detail in the hat is a little soft.
    Name:  7910296084_0b27de42ff_d.jpg
Size:  172.7 KB

Most of the time the camera would meter the scene well and give me nice clean shots like this one SOC.
    Name:  7910323386_44d7e1eff5_d.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  150.3 KB

For some reason that I don't understand, sometimes it would miss read the metering and give me a shutter speed of 1/1250 which is too fast and resulted in an underexposed photo. SOC
    Name:  7910316906_e6de90fee4_d.jpg
Size:  152.8 KB

It's a quick and easy fix just by lightening it up a bit.
    Name:  7910309880_b9bb6c3581_d.jpg
Size:  168.3 KB

One more SOC.
    Name:  7910331618_6615d5f571_d.jpg
Size:  115.6 KB

It looks good from a distance but if we get up close, it loses some sharpness.
    Name:  7910324680_99cc8f663b_d.jpg
Size:  171.8 KB

Right after that shot I decided to drop the aperture to F/2.8 so I had something to compare with F/1.4. You will see very clearly (pardon the pun) that F/2.8 is much sharper than F/1.4.

F/2.8 ISO 400, Exposure Compensation -2/3rds, Shutter Speed 1/125th. SOC
    Name:  7910340358_5a26ec1b81_d.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  112.2 KB

Up close you can see how his face is sharp as well as the details in his hat.
    Name:  7910335090_2121b1cdd5_d.jpg
Size:  196.4 KB

The photo on the left is the F/1.4 and the F/2.8 is on the right.
    Name:  7910333864_8f443b89c0_z_d.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  201.5 KB

Name:  7910347198_a0fac63ca8_d.jpg
Size:  117.2 KB

Name:  7910348948_8bde86c3c2_d.jpg
Size:  198.2 KB

I came back the next night with Ryan Pastorino who helped me try a different technique.
    We were a bit late getting there and the band had already started so we couldn't get near the stage. I put my 55-250mm, F/4 - F/5.6 zoom lens on and stood up on a planter at the back of the crowd.

I set the Aperture as large as it would go which meant F/5.6 when I zoomed in, the ISO on auto which the camera set at 1600 for each shot, Exposure Compensation at -2/3rds and Metering Mode on Spot.
    It worked pretty well but I would still get some shutter speeds that were a bit slow and gave me some blurry photos. Most were pretty good and I was pretty happy with the results.
    F/5.6, ISO 1600, Speed 1/60th, Exposure Compensation -2/3rds. SOC
    Name:  7910373312_853fced6b7_d.jpg
Size:  133.4 KB

Then Ryan approached me and asked how I was shooting. He urged me to try it on Full Manual Mode and set the shutter speed at 1/250th, Aperture as large as possible and ISO on Auto so it could set it as needed. I rarely ever shoot on full Manual unless I am in very controlled conditions and know exactly what will be happening with the light and my subject. As I've learned in most situations like this, it's usually smart to "listen to the more experience photographer." Another interesting point he made was that on Full Manual, you've made virtually all the decisions for the camera, making it a tiny bit faster since it has less to think about.

By switching to Manual and setting the shutter at 1/250th, I wouldn't have any more blurry photos from fast movements. For each of these photos the camera set the ISO at 1600. That in itself isn't that big of a deal but does make me curious as to which was better. A photo with an ISO of 1600 that didn't need to be brightened up or one that is a little darker with an ISO of 400 that does need to be brightened in post. Which one would show more digital noise, I really don't know. I guess that's up to the individual taste and to the individual camera.
    This one is on Manual at F/5.6, ISO 1600, Speed 1/250th and SOC
    Name:  7910381362_15defd1b0e_d.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  111.3 KB

I cropped it and brightened it up a very tiny bit.
    Name:  7910384712_4c3197b076_d.jpg
Size:  180.9 KB

Even though I didn't get any more blurry photos, I did get some that were pretty underexposed like this one.
    Name:  7910393928_8f08f94934_d.jpg
Size:  126.0 KB

This one is also SOC and a bit underexposed.
    Name:  7910403240_aabaf51459_d.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  140.5 KB

A bit of brightening up and it's all good.
    Name:  7910410860_d22f9293ba_d.jpg
Size:  150.6 KB

I am real happy with this one that is SOC.
    Name:  7910414702_f2bb0385d3_d.jpg
Size:  157.3 KB

So, with all these different choices and benefits of one over another and disadvantages of one over the other, which is best.... I guess that's up to you and what makes you comfortable with the equipment you have.

If I ever decide to shoot the Mad T Party again, my choice would be to be up against the stage and use the 50mm at F/2.8. If I can't get against the stage I would use my zoom lens and the Manual method.

I know this probably doesn't give you that much clarity on the best way to photograph this type of show but I do hope it helps you think about the possibilities and what might work best for you.

Happy Snapping!

Michael Greening 2012

I've often avoided full Manual control, too, to let the camera adjust to changing conditions, but I'm learning that there are times when it works pretty well, and you know what the camera's going to do. And I agree with you that concert photography is fun. I'll have to try some of your techniques soon.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• photography Nut

Wonderful advice !! I'll try a few of the techniques when I'm there next !! Thanks

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

You know....for a show that you absolutely couldn't stand, you came away with a LOT of great shots!

Hope you are feeling better. More evidence that you and Diane need to bite the bullet and hire some help! This whole working until 2 AM thing every night is unsustainable. I say...it's time to go public...like Facebook, and retire!