Died in 1720 ya know...

Checkout all my Disneyland photos
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/5198394...7625048447449/

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    12-13-10
    Today’s “Disneyland Photo Tip of the Day” pays a visit to the home of the Big Cheese, the Head Honcho, the Main Mouse…Mickey Mouse’s house in Toontown.

Of course all of this winding back and forth from room to room leads you to your photo op with the Big Guy himself. (the one on the left) Although, I’m sure my friend Billy would be glad to pose with you too.

The next time you visit Disneyland, make sure you take the time to pay a visit to Mickey’s House. Just remember to check your camera settings and bring a gift for your host. I suggest a nice piece of cheese or a bottle of Ring of Fire Hot Sauce. (kidding)

Happy Snapping
    © Michael Greening 2010

For a complete directory and links to each of these posts, please click here:
    The Disneyland Photo of the Day...
    In the photo area of Mickey's House, do you still advise on using Tungsten for pictures in the photo room or do you switch it back to Auto? I ask since it seems the light would be a lot different in here compared to the other rooms due to all the extra light stands they have.

Also, related to your filter tips from a while ago, what would be a general usage definition of the filter types?

Polarizing = use for sky shots
    UV = general extra lens guard
    Neutral Density = slower shutter speeds for water and fireworks

If that is accurate, are there any other general rules of thumb for filters? Can a polarizing filter be used on people? Does a UV actually do anything? What other reasons would you use a Neutral Density besides water and fireworks?

Thanks as always.

Mike

• Minion

9-18-12
    Today's "Disneyland Photo tip of the Day" puts the Focus on Mood.

I posted a photo the other day of my friends Larry & Rebecca that I took through the window of the Gibson Girl Ice Cram shop on Main St. I mentioned that I was going for a specific soft and romantic feel for the photo and that is why it was intentionally blurry.

When I had the idea to shoot them through the Ice Cream store window, (I actually got the idea from a similar photo by Caroline Tran on Flickr.) I knew I wanted to capture the feeling of romance and love with a soft focus and in black & white. I set the Aperture at F/4, ISO at 800 and put it on Manual Focus because the glass and reflections on the glass would confuse the auto focus system.

While I was taking the photos, I changed the focus from the sign on the window to Larry & Rebecca, to a median sharpness, to a soft blur with nothing in focus.

Here are 4 of the photos I took, all with different focuses, each one having a distinct feel and overall mood.

The first one has an average focus between the window and the couple. Both of them are in clear enough focus to read the sign and see the expression on their faces.
    Name:  7998640384_ab14644174_z_d.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  139.4 KB

Second is with nothing in clear focus giving just the impression of the moment and the feeling of their love.
    Name:  7998643126_7f5d97b92e_z_d.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  113.1 KB

Next I had the sign on the window in focus so it's message was clear and the couple in the window were there to enforce the message.
    Name:  7998645484_5364398eec_z_d.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  110.8 KB

Last is the one with Larry & Rebecca in sharp focus. Now they are the main subject of the photo and the sign on the window is just there to tell their story.
    Name:  7998647642_d291745df1_z_d.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  171.4 KB

These are simply my impressions of the photos. I'd love to hear what you think of them. Which one do you think captures the essence of love and feeling of romance the best?

Happy Snapping!

Michael Greening 2012
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

I like the window in focus with the couple slightly soft.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mpabis525 View Post
    In the photo area of Mickey's House, do you still advise on using Tungsten for pictures in the photo room or do you switch it back to Auto? I ask since it seems the light would be a lot different in here compared to the other rooms due to all the extra light stands they have.

Also, related to your filter tips from a while ago, what would be a general usage definition of the filter types?

Polarizing = use for sky shots
    UV = general extra lens guard
    Neutral Density = slower shutter speeds for water and fireworks

If that is accurate, are there any other general rules of thumb for filters? Can a polarizing filter be used on people? Does a UV actually do anything? What other reasons would you use a Neutral Density besides water and fireworks?

Thanks as always.

Mike
    You know, I haven't been into the photo op part of Mickey's house in so long that I can't remember how well it was lit. I don't remember if I used the flash for that photo or not. Either way, with the flash or with bright lighting like on that photo, the light should be pretty natural so going back to Auto White Balance would most likely be the right choice.

If it does have really bright light for the photos, the light would be a normal color temp. If it doesn't and a flash would be required (which I would probably use anyway but toned down a touch) then AWB would still be the best.

As far as the filters go, you are pretty correct.
    Polarizing: would be to tone down a bright sky and give you a richer deeper blue.
    UV: would be for helping with a bright but dull or hazy sky, but they don't do that much other than keep some unwanted stray light out. They should also be removed for any indoor or night photography. Othewise you get the reflection of lights bouncing back and forth between the lens and the filter.
    Neutral Density Filter is to block out some of the light. How dark the filter is determines how much of the light it will block out. By blocking some of the light on an even scale, it slows the shutter speed allowing longer exposures (like for waterfall photos) or tones down highlights, preventing blow outs such as in fireworks photos.

I don't use UV filters anymore. I never found that they did anything for the photos and I always forgot to take them off at night and would get spots of light in the photos.

I would not use a Polarizing filter to photograph people. They would most likely end up very dark and have an unnatural skin tone.

About the only filters I use anymore are the Neutral Density for fireworks or to slow my shutter speed like for sunsets at the beach or waterfalls. Once in a great while I'll add a Sky 1 A filter to that which richens the pinks and oranges of a sunset.

If you were doing landscape photography, a circular polarizer would be a nice touch to tone down the brightness of the sky and allow better exposure on the foreground in the lower half of the frame. I have a circular polarizer and have spun it around and around but could not tell any difference of where it was darker or lighter. Mine isn't very expensive, so that is probably the reason.

• Future Imagineer!!

I like the first one because I think the line "a perfect treat for someone sweet" fits perfectly My second favorite would be the last one (with them sharp but the window out of focus). There's something about the angle of that one that's really sweet. The only thing that draws your eye away is the woman and baby in the background...for some reason (for me) it just splits the focus more....which is why I like the first one with average focus between the two.

Keeper of the Dynamite Goat on RCMC

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MarenBoBarren View Post
    I like the first one because I think the line "a perfect treat for someone sweet" fits perfectly My second favorite would be the last one (with them sharp but the window out of focus). There's something about the angle of that one that's really sweet. The only thing that draws your eye away is the woman and baby in the background...for some reason (for me) it just splits the focus more....which is why I like the first one with average focus between the two.
    I love hearing what other people think of these because the opinions are all so different than what I would think. My favorite is the second one that is all blurry because it seems so gentle and tender without anything in too clear of focus.

Yes, that darn woman with the baby stood there forever. I kept seeing her in the background and there was nothing I could do about it. I tried shooting from a different angle but the lights reflecting on the window were right on Rebecca's head.

• B.T.

I finally got the chance to pull of a series of photos that I've wanted to do for over a year. It took a lot of patience, willing friends and cooperative security guards but it was well worth it.

To Dream the Impossible Dream... by Ring of Fire Hot Sauce 1, on Flickr
    Hey Mike. Fantastic photo. I do have one question. I understand the fireworks and everything, but how they hell did you get this white/color balance on main street? Everytime I photographed main street at night, the buildings and such have a orangish tint to them. This shot has such good contrast, white balance, etc. please share your secret.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by llamaboy View Post
    Hey Mike. Fantastic photo. I do have one question. I understand the fireworks and everything, but how they hell did you get this white/color balance on main street? Everytime I photographed main street at night, the buildings and such have a orangish tint to them. This shot has such good contrast, white balance, etc. please share your secret.
    I shot the fireworks on Auto White Balance first.
    I also shot the 7 exposures of Main St. on Auto but I shoot in RAW. In Adobe Camera RAW I changed the color temp on all the Main St. photos to 2350. Most people seem to be afraid to go that low but it really is the only way to get the right color tone and light.

I processed the Exposure Fusion from the 7 Main St. photos then layered one of the -2 exposure images on top to control some of the overly bright popcorn lights, like on the Cinema marquis and hot spots on the buildings and sidewalks and street. Then I layered the fireworks and Castle into that image and then layered the photo of Larry & Rebecca onto that. The real key to making it look natural is to use the Burn tool and create the proper shadow that would be cast by the people. Without that shadow they look like they are floating above the ground.

• Minion

Here's a quick little bit o' pretty for today.

Doh! I could'a had a V8... by Ring of Fire Hot Sauce 1, on Flickr

I vote for the first one too. I like the way the words are readable and sort of frame the two of them. I like the fourth one as well - except for the stroller in the background...
    Died in 1720 ya know...

Checkout all my Disneyland photos
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/5198394...7625048447449/

• B.T.

I shot the fireworks on Auto White Balance first.
    I also shot the 7 exposures of Main St. on Auto but I shoot in RAW. In Adobe Camera RAW I changed the color temp on all the Main St. photos to 2350. Most people seem to be afraid to go that low but it really is the only way to get the right color tone and light.

I processed the Exposure Fusion from the 7 Main St. photos then layered one of the -2 exposure images on top to control some of the overly bright popcorn lights, like on the Cinema marquis and hot spots on the buildings and sidewalks and street. Then I layered the fireworks and Castle into that image and then layered the photo of Larry & Rebecca onto that. The real key to making it look natural is to use the Burn tool and create the proper shadow that would be cast by the people. Without that shadow they look like they are floating above the ground.
    Thanks a ton! I never thought of adjusting the temp of the Raw images before processing the HDR. That is a great tip. I use Canon DPP to process my RAW images. It will only drop the temp to 2500. I guess Adobe lets you go more. Anyway, I thought I would share my original image and my new one using your temp trick. See below.

The second image looks so much better. Not as good as yours, but I am trying. Thank you so much again!

P.S. Can you tell I am excited!

• Loves Disney

Thanks a ton! I never thought of adjusting the temp of the Raw images before processing the HDR. That is a great tip. I use Canon DPP to process my RAW images. It will only drop the temp to 2500. I guess Adobe lets you go more. Anyway, I thought I would share my original image and my new one using your temp trick. See below.

The second image looks so much better. Not as good as yours, but I am trying. Thank you so much again!

llamaboy, the second one is amazing, I love it. It's amazing what a little change of using temp to bring a picture to life

• Minion

Holy Crap! What a difference and gorgeous picture. I love the low POV for it and leading line of the tracks.

Here's another one I did that night. I achieved my best percentage of great fireworks photos from this show (even though I don't think Magical is a very good fireworks show). I ended up with 16 fantastic shots.

Still Dreaming... by Ring of Fire Hot Sauce 1, on Flickr

• Some imagination, huh?

These are simply my impressions of the photos. I'd love to hear what you think of them. Which one do you think captures the essence of love and feeling of romance the best?
    I like the last one the best as I feel like it contains the best of both worlds. The lettering is readable but does not take attention off the couple but, as you say, adds to the story. The first one is good too, but I'm not a big fan of the words getting cut off on the left and the distance between the words and the couple is greater, which makes the photo a lot less tight and focused than the last one. My two cents, I like seeing your experimentations Mike!