Page 137 of 158 FirstFirst ... 3787112127134135136137138139140147 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,055 of 2361

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Oooops, duplicate. sorry.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mpabis525 View Post
    How often do you shoot in something other than RAW? I know most of your tutorials specify using RAW because of the ability to make changes after the shot are taken but is there any reason you would shoot in RAW + JPEG or JPEG only?
    In Disneyland, I shoot in RAW 100% of the time. It lets me change the color temp as I need to and is much more flexible for editing than a jpeg is. You can make the same edits on a jpeg but it does a lot more damage to it than it does a RAW file.
    I have never shot in RAW+jpeg. It slows the camera down and burns up too much memory for my liking.

When I am here at work and we ship pallets of our sauce, we photograph all the pallets and send those photos to the company receiving them so they know what they looked like when they left our warehouse. (just in case there is damage) For that, I shoot in jpeg because it is just faster and easier.

There is something you should know about shooting in RAW that most people aren't aware of. I wasn't aware of it myself until just recently.
    You can set certain settings in your camera such as increasing the saturation or contrast or the camera will do it by itself if you are shooting in certain modes like Landscape or Portrait.
    If you are shooting in RAW, all of those adjustments are turned off. Shooting in RAW tells the camera you only want the image to be what you are seeing with your naked eye and what it brings in.

Here's where it gets kinda wierd.
    When you look at an image on your LCD screen, it is showing you the Jpeg version of that RAW image. This means, you are seeing it with all of those adjustments applied to it. It will look better on your LCD screen than it will when you first open in it in Adobe Camera Raw in your computer. You need to make those adjustments back onto it when you are editing it in Adobe Camera Raw.

I do some of my editing in the Canon Raw software and it automatically applies the settings I've set in the camera.

So if you are shooting in RAW and editing in Photoshops Adobe Camera RAW and wondering why it never looks the same as it did in the camera LCD, that is why.

Hope that explains it in an understandable manner.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

For a little while I shot in RAW/jpg, figuring it would be easier to post rather than converting everything. But I found I was editing them anyway (and converting them turns out to be easy even if I don't need to edit), and had to delete the camera-converted-jpg's. So now I just shoot RAW.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

Thanks for clarifying it for me. After reading all of your stuff, I know you are a RAW guy but was curious if there was any real reason to shoot in JPEG.

Seeing several of your pics lately, are you back to using a tripod at the parks? I didn't notice you with one when we met up for a few mins back in September. However, I can't see how you were able to get some of the photos you have without them. Are the being kind to tripods now?

Mike

Following up on my tripod question earlier, what would be a good tripod for beginners? Basically what would I need for something at the parks or somewhere else with up to a 70-300mm on a Nikon d5100? Most of what I am seeing runs as much as the camera will cost. Any tips or brands? What about heads?

Mike

• Loves Disney

I am planning to get a Manfrotto 055XPROB with the Manfrotto 496RC2 compact ball head with RC2 rapid connect plate the tripod is 139.90 and the head and quick release is 69.95 at Adorama.com

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mpabis525 View Post
    Following up on my tripod question earlier, what would be a good tripod for beginners? Basically what would I need for something at the parks or somewhere else with up to a 70-300mm on a Nikon d5100? Most of what I am seeing runs as much as the camera will cost. Any tips or brands? What about heads?

Mike
    Once in a while I'll bring my tripod into the park. Usually I just bring a Gorilla Pod since I'm trying to travel as light as possible. If I know I'm shooting fireworks or going to be closing out the park I'll bring it. Other than that I don't. They haven't bothered me about it in a while.

From my all too often and disappointing experience with tripods, the best advice I can give you is this; "Spend the money right the first time!" I literally have 4 tripods. I kept trying to get a decent one inexpensively and kept being disappointed with them, either by its performance or size or just weight.

I finally found one at a reasonable price that was light weight and gave me the size and stability that I wanted in a somewhat small size. It is made by Adorama under their own label and has been very good so far. Flashpoint CF2328 Carbon Fiber Tripod, Supports 26.2Lbs CF2328

As far as the ballhead goes, I am using the one that came with my Gorilla pod. It's small, light weight and works great. Eventually I will get a better one but it is doing the job for me at the moment. I'm not sure I would put a 70-300 lens on this ballhead though. You should check what they have at Adorama for their tripods. The Gorillapod Ballhead does have one nice advantage which can also be a disadvantage. It has a really simple button to pop your camera out of it. The drawback is I was carrying the tripod with the camera on it and accidently hit the button, launching my new 7D and wide angle lens about 6 feet and crashing to the ground. Thankfully, they both survived and weren't damaged.

These two photos I took as brackets at night, without a tripod. For one I set the camera on a railing and the other I leaned it against a light post.

Christmas on Route 66... by Ring of Fire Hot Sauce 1, on Flickr

Stanley Claus... by Ring of Fire Hot Sauce 1, on Flickr

• 10 Year Annual Passholder

I am loving the Carsland Christmas photos!

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 9.13.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 19

• Elk Grove Chris

Yeah me too, very nice.
    They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~Edgar Allan Poe

​OOoohhh, Christmas in CarsLand.... cool!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Minion

Here's a little bit o' holiday cheer for today.
    It was well after closing time and I was waiting up near the hub to shoot down Main St. I finally got tired of waiting for all the people to leave and security was heading towards us so I went down to the edge of the street and laid down on my stomach with the camera on a gorilla pod to shoot down the street. I liked the person standing in the middle of the street and wanted his silhouette in front of the Christmas tree. As I was laying there, security came up to me and asked if I had a ticket for the laying on the ground ride.

Even before I took the picutre I was envisioning it as a black and white photo with a bit of a blur and heavy contrast. What do you think?

Follow the Shining Star.... by Ring of Fire Hot Sauce 1, on Flickr

Wow! Yeah, I like it! I do like it in B&W, and yes, the one person silhouetted in front of the tree is fantastic.

Classic!

• Capt without a ship...

I am loving the tips, I am learning so much here that I am trying with my Canon PNS to get as many shots as I can of the little details. I like how you mention shots from the perspective of your target, ie little kids, etc...

Thanks for the tips on the gear everyone. Picking this stuff out isn't easy for this newbie.