Page 138 of 158 FirstFirst ... 3888113128135136137138139140141148 ... LastLast
Results 2,056 to 2,070 of 2361

• Minion

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Quote Originally Posted by mpabis525 View Post
    Thanks for the tips on the gear everyone. Picking this stuff out isn't easy for this newbie.
    If you are planning on spending a pretty good amount of money on new camera gear, it might be a good investment to rent it first.
    I'm thinking about getting the new Nikon D600 full frame camera so I just rented it and a few lenses from www.borrowlenses.com.

I'll be taking trying it out in my next visit to Disneyland on the 4th and 5th.
    To rent it for 3 days with 2 lenses cost me $288.00. I figure that is cheap insurance in case I don't like the camera at all and find out before I spend 3 grand on it.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Minion

I forgot to ask everyone this question.
    I recently upgraded to the full Photoshop CS6.
    I was wondering if any of you use CS6 and if you wanted any tutorials (not like I've had time to do any) in CS6 or if you only want them in Photoshop Elements?

What do you think?

• Capt without a ship...

Hey Hotsauce, or anyone that can shed some light - My wife is interested in getting into photography, and would like to do some creative stuff, but she is just starting out - I found this

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-cSXmHVG...60-Bundle.html

and was wondering what your opinion of the camera is.

Her dad left her an old SLR, but pre digital - actual film, and no lenses.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RSZero1 View Post
    Hey Hotsauce, or anyone that can shed some light - My wife is interested in getting into photography, and would like to do some creative stuff, but she is just starting out - I found this

Fujifilm FinePix SL260 Bundle 14-megapixel, 26X high-zoom digital camera with case and 4GB memory card at Crutchfield.com

and was wondering what your opinion of the camera is.

Her dad left her an old SLR, but pre digital - actual film, and no lenses.
    I looked it up everywhere that I could to find as much detailed info as possible on it but couldn't find much in terms of real technical info other than what they want you to focus on.

From what I can see, it seems like a pretty decent camera. The cost isn't so high that if she discovers photography isn't something she cares about, she hasn't invested a ton of money. If she finds that she loves photography, she hasn't invested so much money that don't feel comfortable upgrading to a full DSLR at some point.

A camera like this is a perfect starting point because you learn how cameras function and the basics like composition.

My recommendation would be to go to a store that carries it like Best Buy and play with it first. See if the menu system is intuitive or not. If she has a hard time moving through it and gets frustrated with it quickly, then this isn't a camera to buy.

Play with several cameras from different manufacturers and see how comfortable they are to hold and to change functions on.

You may find that a different camera that you might not have considered will be the one that works best for you.

Good luck,

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

Hot Sauce

My preference would be to stick with the lower forms of Photoshop like Elements. I am too green to get into CS6. Plus my wallet won't be able to handle it for quite a long time now that I got my new camera. Finally made the move on up, Jefferson style, to the Nikon d5100 from the little P&S I have had.

I fully understand the argument for renting equipment but for me the cost of renting eats up too much of what I would need to make the purchase of what I am looking at. Maybe one day in the future things will allow me to rent and test out.

Thanks as always.

Mike

• Minion

You have no idea how frustrated I am that I haven't had a chance to do any new tutorials. Now it's getting to the point where I can't remember what I shot for them since it was so long ago.

I'll be at Disneyland on Tuesday and Wednesday trying out a new "Full Frame" sensor camera. I rented the new Nikon D600 to see if I like it. It will be a tough one for me since I've only used Canon cameras until now.

Here's a few pretties until next time.

That's Quite a Show... by Ring of Fire Hot Sauce 1, on Flickr

When the guests are all gone... by Ring of Fire Hot Sauce 1, on Flickr

I LOVE neon!

Light Muse... by Ring of Fire Hot Sauce 1, on Flickr

George's Treehouse... by Ring of Fire Hot Sauce 1, on Flickr

Gas... by Ring of Fire Hot Sauce 1, on Flickr

Black (and White) Friday... by Ring of Fire Hot Sauce 1, on Flickr

Cozy Christmas... by Ring of Fire Hot Sauce 1, on Flickr

Christmas or 4th of July... by Ring of Fire Hot Sauce 1, on Flickr

Fork in the Road... by Ring of Fire Hot Sauce 1, on Flickr

• Elk Grove Chris

WOW! All awesome, but really digging the shot from the bridge.
    They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~Edgar Allan Poe

mpabis525,

You might look into other photo editing software. My Nikon camera came with Capture NX2, free for a trial period. It will do a whole lot of editing functions, and I find it much more intuitive than Photoshop. It's also cheaper, when I decided to buy the permanent version.

I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Alphabassetgrrrl

I do have the Nikon software but haven't used it yet. Office Max had a Black Friday deal for te full elements suite that was way too good to pass up. I figure I would get that and use it as most others seem to use it. Thanks though.

Hot Sauce,

Once again you should just hire yourself out. I should have just paid you to take our pics instead of getting a DSLR.

I am very slowly trying to learn and use CS6. It seems to have a steeper learning curve than I remember from previous versions. Seems like every time that I go to do something that I remember how to... the buttons are different or have moved. Any tutorials would be great.

I've had difficulties learning CS... either 5 or 6, I forget which version I have. Always seems more complicated than I think it should be. I always wind up going back to the Nikon software, which I understand and is fairly simple.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Looking forward to some pictures and a review of the Nikon... I'm so tempted to switch to a full frame camera but am hesitating only becasue of the cost. and I still don't know who to go with.

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    I forgot to ask everyone this question.
    I recently upgraded to the full Photoshop CS6.
    I was wondering if any of you use CS6 and if you wanted any tutorials (not like I've had time to do any) in CS6 or if you only want them in Photoshop Elements?

What do you think?
    I'm a big regular Photoshop fan and always welcome tutorials. CS6 is fairly close to the other CS version.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by timbre View Post
    Looking forward to some pictures and a review of the Nikon... I'm so tempted to switch to a full frame camera but am hesitating only becasue of the cost. and I still don't know who to go with.
    I've been very hesitant to switch to full frame as well. Not only does the camera cost alot, none of my current lenses will work on a full frame Canon. This is why I thought I might give Nikon a try. If I have to start fresh, I can choose whatever I want.

Well, I spent 2 days with the Nikon D600 at Disneyland. I rented it along with a 14-24 F/2.8 lens and a 24-105 lens from Borrowlenses.com. They were really nice and helpful and the camera got to me on the day that it was supposed to with everything that I asked for. The cost to rent it for the 3 days was just under $300.00. I figured this was a good investment to make before running out and spending a ton of money on a camera, just in case I didn't like it.

It was a very good thing that I did rent it first because I did NOT like it.
    The functionality of the buttons seemed very unintuitive and difficult. Granted, I'm not used to it so it will be difficult at first but the more I played with it, the more I thought it was not user friendly. One big design flaw that I had a problem with was the On/Off switch is around the shutter button and right below that is the control dial. Every time I tried to change aperture on the control dial and then take a photo, I turned off the camera. This happened at least 30 times over 2 days.

The Auto Focus system did not work all the time and when it did, it didn't focus on what I wanted to and would not stay there. (this might have been a problem with this camera and not all of the Nikon D600's) For example, on Canon cameras, if you are shooting a 3 exposure bracket and hold the shutter button down for all 3 exposures, the focus will stay the same for each shot. If you let go and press it again, it will change. On the Nikon, the focus changed for each exposure even when holding it down for all 3. Some of the images don't line up because of this. I can line them up manually in Photoshop but I shouldn't have to.

I will say that the Auto White Balance on the Nikon was FAR superior to my Canon 7D. In lots of different conditions, it was very close if not spot on, whereas my 7D isn't even close.

I ended up going to Manual focus for half of my shooting and the images I shot with it are very sharp and clean. (I'm told I will get images like that with any full frame camera, especially with a good lens like I was using)

Truth be told, I am sad that I didn't like the camera. I really did want to and wanted to buy one. For landscape style photography, Nikon is better than Canon. However, I have decided to wait and save my money for a Canon 5D Mark III. I'm not hearing very good things about the new Canon 6D full frame camera, so I won't be going that route.

My small advice is to rent the ones you are interested in and make absolutely sure you like it before you buy it. It is money well spent.