Page 154 of 158 FirstFirst ... 54104129144151152153154155156157 ... LastLast
Results 2,296 to 2,310 of 2361

• Loves Disney

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Hey Michael he is my second attempt at the fun wheel waited little longer but I think I am going to need a tripod and remote shutter release seeing I want to start doing night photography with bracketing and HDR images. I still like the results plus I took this other shot because it reminded me of your company and job

Glowing Mickey Wheel by JAlejandro Photography, on Flickr

Tommorrow Land Peppers by JAlejandro Photography, on Flickr

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyLoon View Post
    Hey Michael he is my second attempt at the fun wheel waited little longer but I think I am going to need a tripod and remote shutter release seeing I want to start doing night photography with bracketing and HDR images. I still like the results plus I took this other shot because it reminded me of your company and job

Glowing Mickey Wheel by JAlejandro Photography, on Flickr

Tommorrow Land Peppers by JAlejandro Photography, on Flickr
    Hey Jonathan,

LOVE the one of the chilis. Gorgeous depth of field and colors in it.

I thought of some interesting ideas regarding the photo of the Fun Wheel.
    Since it is basically at sunset and the light is behind the Fun Wheel and Paradise Pier, it creates some heavy shadows. I downloaded the photo from Flickr then opened it as aRAW file in Photoshop and did some editing.
    I lightened the shadows and cooled the color temp a bit to make the sky a little bluer.

There was some interesting changes in light and color temp of the light on the distant horizon. The blue was fading into yellow and orange as the sunset. For this one, I played with the color temp a bit and brought out more character in the sky to accentuate the changes in light. I also lightened up the surface of the water to better reflect the light and color in the sky.

When you have some interesting light on the horizon, sometimes it creates a more interesting image by just focusing on a portion of the scene and making the light a more dominant feature in the image. This is just a crop of a portion of the fun wheel to show off the sky in the background.

Just some ideas to play with and think about the next time you see a scene like this.
    Here's one I did a while back where the sky was really the main reason for the photo and the fun wheel was a silhouette to give a place and scale to the image.
    Remember When Time Stood Still... | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Last edited by Hot Sauce 1; 08-12-2013 at 05:19 PM.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• Minion

8-14-13

Today's "Photography Tip of the Day" is Desaturate to Whiten Eyes and Teeth.

Whenever you are photographing people, especially portraits of people, I feel it is the photographers responsibility to make them look their best.

Using good photography technique and good light is important but we are all human and we all have flaws of some kind that can only be fixed in post processing. Fortunately, most facial fix ups are really easy and fast to do if you know the right tricks. We'll look at one of those tricks, applied a few different ways in today's tutorial.

When I was at Comic-Con a few weeks ago I had the opportunity to be one of the photographers involved in a Marvel Comics Cosplay Photo Shoot on Friday and the DC Comics Cosplay shoot on Saturday. Hundreds of Cosplayers were there in fantastic costumes and it was an absolute blast. People were not only in amazing costumes and make up, they were embodying that character as well. When someone is not only in good make up and costume but in full character too, they are much more open and fun in front of a camera and that really creates some great portraits.

Side tip: When your trying to learn how to photograph portraits, find people that are comfortable in front of the camera and enjoy having their picture taken. Even for the pros it's difficult to get good pictures of people if they don't like having their picture taken.

There were about 200 Cosplayers in a huge group which made it difficult to showcase any one person. I had a 70-300mm zoom lens with me so I put that on and was able to zoom in on anyone that stood out. One of the Cosplayers that I picked out of the crowd was Kira. She was dressed as Catwoman and really personified the character.

Here's a few of her during the big photo shoot.

I ran into her again later that evening and chatted with her a bit. I also shot a few up close portrait shots of her. It was a really long day for her, most if it in bright sunlight. The long day and constant camera flashes in her eyes had taken its toll and her eyes were a little bloodshot.
    Here is the original image I took.

If we zoom in on the eyes, you can see what I mean. They weren't bad, but 2 minutes in Photoshop Elements can make a big difference.

I opened the image in Elements and zoomed in so I'm just looking at the eyes.

First I'm going to go into the Layers Panel, right click it and Duplicate the Layer.

I used the Quick Selection Tool to select just the eyes. The Quick Selection Tool can get a bit squirrelly, so I had to play with it a bit to get the selection area just right.

The object here is to reduce the appearance of the bloodshot eyes and make them appear whiter and brighter. To do that go to the top of the page and click on Enhance - Adjust Color - Adjust Hue/Saturation.

That brings up this control panel. Simply use the dropdown menu and select Reds.

With Reds selected, simply lower the Saturation and raise the Lightness. EASY AS PIE!

Once you have it where you want it, go up to Select and Deselect it.

This is what the eyes look like now.

Now we'll do the same editing but in a slightly different manner. Depending upon the shape of the eyes you are working on, the Quick Selection Tool might just be too haphazard with its selection and frustrating. When that happens, there is another way to do it that is just as easy and you have complete control of where you are de-saturating.

Like we did before, open the image and Duplicate the Layer so you have the Background Copy in your Layers Palette.

Go back up to Enhance - Adjust Color - Adjust Hue/Saturation. As you can see, it altered the color and lightness of her entire face. Don't worry.

Simply Add a Layer Mask to that Layer, so it looks like this in your Layers Palette.

Now, using the Paint Bucket Tool and with your Foreground set to Black, click on the image and it will revert it right back to what it was.

In the Layers Panel, click on your Layer Mask (that is filled with Black).

Now just select your Paint Brush Tool and Change your Foreground Color to White.

Then simply paint over the eyes with white. This will reveal the de-saturation that you did before and you have complete control over where you want it to apply with the Paint Brush tool. You can see the small white spots on the Layer Mask where its been applied.

If for whatever reason you feel that you've gone too far with it and that it doesn't look natural, you can simply Reduce the Opacity of that layer.

Here's the final image.

Another person that I took several photos of was Tara, who was dressed as Harley Quinn.

Her teeth were a little yellowed, so to fix that, the process is virtually the same.

Just as you did before, Duplicate the Layer, go to Enhance - Adjust Color - Adjust Hue/Saturation.

Only this time you want to select the Yellow Channel instead of the red and de-saturate it.

Here's her final image.

So there you have it. Quick, simple ways to fix the most common flaws on portraits.

Happy Snapping!
    Michael Greening 2013

• Loves Disney

Once again great tutorial Michael and thanks for the tips I was so focused on trying to get the whole fun wheel and sunset that when I was going through and uploading the images I never thought of cropping in and getting a totally awesome image

Just a reminder to anyone joining the thread late, here's an easy to search listing of all the tutorials posted:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    Last edited by JalenJade; 08-15-2013 at 10:55 PM. Reason: words are hard.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JalenJade View Post
    Just a reminder to anyone joining the thread early, here's an easy to search listing of all the tutorials posted:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    Thank you so much for sharing that.

• Dead men tell no tales.

First time posting on this thread and gotta say, what a thread!

I could easily spend an entire day scrolling through the pages upon pages of beautiful pictures you and others have posted as well as your interesting "How To's". Makes me wish I had a DSLR camera.

Which brings me to my question, within the next 6 months I would like to purchase a DSLR camera. Could you guys suggest a good camera? My budget is about $1000 including the lens but I'm willing to go over if a good enough camera is suggested. I don't need anything super fancy but nothing mediocre either. I would like it to shoot 1080p video and be very good at doing so as well as have good low light performance when both capturing still photos and videos. While browsing the pictures on this thread I quickly took preference to nighttime shots. This is one of my favorites.
    Mr. Curb Feeler... | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    I just adore the way the neon pops out at you with almost no noise in any dark areas. Therefore I would like to get something that can shoot close to or at this quality at night. As far as brands, I haven't owned a DSLR before and don't carry any bias in that regard Canon or Nikon doesn't matter much to me.

Thanks a lot Michael!

Quote Originally Posted by Spence View Post
    First time posting on this thread and gotta say, what a thread!

I could easily spend an entire day scrolling through the pages upon pages of beautiful pictures you and others have posted as well as your interesting "How To's". Makes me wish I had a DSLR camera.

Which brings me to my question, within the next 6 months I would like to purchase a DSLR camera. Could you guys suggest a good camera? My budget is about $1000 including the lens but I'm willing to go over if a good enough camera is suggested. I don't need anything super fancy but nothing mediocre either. I would like it to shoot 1080p video and be very good at doing so as well as have good low light performance when both capturing still photos and videos. While browsing the pictures on this thread I quickly took preference to nighttime shots. This is one of my favorites.
    Mr. Curb Feeler... | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    I just adore the way the neon pops out at you with almost no noise in any dark areas. Therefore I would like to get something that can shoot close to or at this quality at night. As far as brands, I haven't owned a DSLR before and don't carry any bias in that regard Canon or Nikon doesn't matter much to me.

Thanks a lot Michael!
    I'm only informed slightly on Canon since that is the DSLR brand I own so hopefully someone that is well informed with Nikon or any other brand can shed some light on their entry level DSLR's for some food for thought. But my quick suggestion would be to go to a place you can actually touch and hold the camera from either brand in your hand and first see how they feel and how the button layouts work out for you. That would be one of the first things to help out. But having owned my Canon T2i for about a year now here is what I would suggest if you were going to go with a Canon DSLR.

Seeing as how you are just going into the DSLR realm I would suggest you look at the Entry Level Canon SLR camers which would be the Canon Rebel series. There are different models. Typically Canon has come out with a new model each year. As of right now the current models that are being sold in retail stores are the Canon T3, T3i, T5i and SL1. They have gone numericaly each year so you may notice I didnt mention the T4i. The reason why the T4i is not listed is because as far as I know the T4i's were recalled because canon had very rare cases of people having very bad chemical skin reactions with the rubber grips of the camera. At the store I work at we pulled them off the shelves when the recall hit. My guess is that Canon decided to just stick with keeping the T3i as the "older" model and the T5i and the "newer" retail models since quite honestly the difference between the T4i and T5i are very minimal. The SL1 is really just a more compact T5i for people with smaller hands but quality isnt really up to a full T5i quality its slightly less then it due to how compact the camera is.

I would suggest not going with the T3 model because although pricewise it would be tempting; the T3 model is cheaper because it does not have the swivel screen and has slightly less performace capability then its T3i model counterpart. Now then that leads us to just the T3i and T5i. Both models have a flip out screen which helps with recording live video but also when trying to compose shots in angles that would be difficult to see thru the viewfinder. However the T5i's flip out screen is a touchscreen. The T5i also have the capability to continuous focus while recording video. The T3i does not have the option to continually focus when taking video. As far as light sensitivity goes the chip inside the T5i is slightly better then the on in the T3i. It has a slightly better ISO range (which is good for shooting in low light locations). The difference between the two models pricewise is about $250-$300 difference.

When you purchase the camera at a retail store chances are you will get it with a kit lens typically a 18-55mm although I believe the T5i comes in another kit option that comes with a 18-135mm lens. The lens is fine as your basic walk around lens. Its wide enough for certain needs and it gives you a basic zoom range. Its just enough to get you started. However as you have stated you wanted to take night time shots its important to note that the lens you use also plays a huge part of how clear your images will be especially in low light. Sure a great camera with superb low light ISO capabilities will be awesome but not all of us can afford a Full Frame camera that can do that lol, so we can counter balance that by trying to purchase lenses that will give us the capability of getting great low light images. The 50mm prime lens tends to be a favorite for many because its quite compact, is very sharp image-wise, as a prime lens is fast for low light images and also are reletively cheap and a hell of a deal for fast glass. In the 50mm catagory there are three models. Each one is different in price respectively. The cheapest one is the 50mm 1.8 which you can find used from $80-100 or new for around $120. Up next would the the 50mm 1.4 which you can find used from $275-350 or new for around $400. The Top model would be the 50mm 1.2 which retails for alittle over $1000. The 1.8 is a great piece of glass for the price but I would suggest if you are serious about your photography then you should perhaps invest alittle more and get the 50mm 1.4. That is the lens I use on dark rides at the park and love it! Tripods will also help you when taking low light shots if you can set one up and if you dont happen to have a lens thats fast enough for quick low light shots.

My last suggestion would be to begin looking for information on the difference between shooting JPEG and RAW. I suggest that because shooting in the RAW format and using certain programs will open up vast possabilities in exposing your images or reducing digital noise in your low light images. I use the program Lightroom 4 for my picture editing and although editing your images in RAW can be alittle time consuming, the great thing about it is that it gives your full control of just how your image will end up.

Lol sorry for the long reply. But I felt you had to be fully informed on what your options are on the entry level canon side. You cant go wrong with either the T3i or T5i. But if recording video in stereo without really using a external microphone to record sound (although it wouldnt hurt if you did), having a slightly better sensor to shoot in low light and having a touchscreen are things that you feel would be a benefit for you then definately go with the T5i. If none of that is a necessity then you could save a couple hundred by getting the T3i. Lowlight lens-wise I suggest the 50mm F1.4 if you are able to. If money is an issue and cant at this moment then you will definately not go wrong with the F1.8. But in that regard I would suggest to look at your lenses as investments. If you were to ever upgrade your camera your lenses will be something you can carry over to your new camera body. As long as its part of the "EF" canon lens family. Lastly I suggest checking out websites for information. I know its quite alot to digest but it will definately help you when you actually are looking for your camera. If you want an idea of roughly how image-wise the T3i would take pictures try looking at my flickr page I link on my signature. My setup is a T2i and my lenses I tend to use is a 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.4 and on some occasions my kit lens; but keep in mind I have been shooting in RAW for about 6 months and I also use Lightroom 4 for my post processing of my images. Happy searching and I hope I was able to help a bit!

• Loves Disney

To add to Open_at_the_close post I am familiar and owner of a Nikon brand camera, The Nikon brand has 2 different entry cameras and The two different cameras are The D3200, D5200. The D3200 price range is $454.95 - $589.95 and that's with the kit lens 18-55mm, The D5200 price range with 18-55mm lens is $796.95 - $799.99. Both cameras are great to start with and gives you pratically the same options the only difference from the two is the D5200 has a articulated screen and 5 White balance options where the D3200 doesn't. Just like Open said I also suggest finding a nearby camera shop or retail store that would let you get hands on test of the different cameras and brands to see what feels comfortable to you. Nikons and Cannons both have different ways of changing settings and the menus system from the two are different as well. Some people prefer one or the other. For sure though let us know if you have any question at all and would be great to meet you at the resort one day. I like talking to fellow photographers at the resort and exchanging tips

Thank you both for your replies, it helps a lot! Especially your advice Open_at_the_close, it never occurred to me the importance of a good lens when shooting in low light. While trying some DSLR's out today I noticed I much preferred the button layout Canon has on their Cameras so I'll probably end up getting a Canon. I've been hunting around the interwebs and came across Canon's newest DSLR, the 70D. I watched a lot of reviews of the pre-production models and have to say I'm impressed with what they say. It's a bit pricey at $1200 for the body only but I really like the autofocusing features it has. I know it's not out yet but would you guys recommend a 70D for the kind of photography I'm getting into?

Thank you both for your replies, it helps a lot! Especially your advice Open_at_the_close, it never occurred to me the importance of a good lens when shooting in low light. While trying some DSLR's out today I noticed I much preferred the button layout Canon has on their Cameras so I'll probably end up getting a Canon. I've been hunting around the interwebs and came across Canon's newest DSLR, the 70D. I watched a lot of reviews of the pre-production models and have to say I'm impressed with what they say. It's a bit pricey at $1200 for the body only but I really like the autofocusing features it has. I know it's not out yet but would you guys recommend a 70D for the kind of photography I'm getting into?
    The 70D would be considered more of a "Intermediate" level DSLR. My real question would be what are you looking to get out of your camera? I know you exspressed the want to be able to shoot well in low light scenarios; but do you see yourself wanting to learn just how your camera works and everything that goes into taking a picture to best allow you to maybe get the shot you are looking to get? I'm asking because although the 70D sounds like it will be a really good camera (and as a side note is actually the camera I am planning on upgrading to in about a year when the price goes down) Along with the price of the camera the learning curve of options for you could potentially be alittle overwhelming. The good thing about the entry level cameras like the Rebel T series is that in the creative modes it has a slight learning curve but it isnt too bad and all in all are great to learn on. Then people eventually move on to a model that is a step up from what they learned on.

You listed that you were looking into spending about $1000 so the entry level SLR would be the best route in my opinion. That way you can spend the money on a camera and have alittle bit left for possibly getting a lens. However if you are financially able to then the 70D would definately be a great camera to get but it will take a bit of time to get used to what the camera can actually do.

• Minion

I'll throw in my 2 cents on this since I own several Canon DSLR's and have rented the Nikon D600 full frame DSLR.

I huge part of which brand of camera to choose comes down to what types of photos you want to shoot. If you want to shoot portraits of people, Canon is BY FAR the best. If you want to shoot landscapes and things like empty park HDR shots at night, Nikon is BY FAR the best.

When it comes to choosing the level of camera, the entry level ones like the Canon T5i and entry level Nikons are all exceptional cameras and will do everything you need them to and more. The lenses are what matters. You are much, much, MUCH better off buying a lower end camera body and higher end lenses. The Glass is all that matters!!!!!!!

If you want low light capabilities, a lens like the 50mm F/1.8 is a great lens and not very expensive. From experience, I would say that it would be wiser to wait until you can afford going with a 35mm F/1.4 lens, which is about 3 times the price but well worth it.

Remember when buying any camera, a huge expense comes after you buy the camera. You need extra batteries, memory cards, camera bag and tripod. Those will add up to several hundred dollars.

With regards to Canon over Nikon, if you are going to be shooting all types of things, choose the camera that you feel more comfortable with. Whichever one has a menu system and buttons that feel easier for you to understand and use is the best camera for you.

Another thing that you will need right off the bat is an aftermarket manual for that camera. The manual that comes with it is probably pretty useless because it is so small, boring and hard to understand that you'll get frustrated after 1 page and never learn your camera. A good full size after market book that has lots of pictures and is easy to understand is a necessity! The more you understand your camera, the more enjoyment and value you will get out of it.

I just went to your photo stream on Flickr and they are fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    When it comes to choosing the level of camera, the entry level ones like the Canon T5i and entry level Nikons are all exceptional cameras and will do everything you need them to and more. The lenses are what matters. You are much, much, MUCH better off buying a lower end camera body and higher end lenses. The Glass is all that matters!!!!!!!

If you want low light capabilities, a lens like the 50mm F/1.8 is a great lens and not very expensive. From experience, I would say that it would be wiser to wait until you can afford going with a 35mm F/1.4 lens, which is about 3 times the price but well worth it.

Remember when buying any camera, a huge expense comes after you buy the camera. You need extra batteries, memory cards, camera bag and tripod. Those will add up to several hundred dollars.

With regards to Canon over Nikon, if you are going to be shooting all types of things, choose the camera that you feel more comfortable with. Whichever one has a menu system and buttons that feel easier for you to understand and use is the best camera for you.
    Wow you guys are so helpful to a newbie like me.

Just looking at open_at_the_close's flickr page and then seeing they were all taken with a T2i! Man I've got a lot of learning to do. But thanks as well, here I was going to get a big fancy camera when I should be spending my main money on the lens. Thanks for your advice you guys it helps a lot! From just holding a 7D and a T3i in each hand at a store, I can already tell I would enjoy photography a lot more carrying around a Rebel series DSLR than a Intermediate to Pro breed of camera.

So Hot Sauce, you're saying the 35mm F/1.4 lens is better for low light than the 50mm F/1.8?

Also as regards to what you said about Nikon being better than Canon for landscapes, is Nikon still better if I was photographing something like a forest? I live on the West Coast of Canada and there are beautiful forests and beaches everywhere and I go on hikes and nature walks quite often so that's something I'd be photographing quite often too.

Thanks again for answering a beginner's questions.

• Minion

Wow you guys are so helpful to a newbie like me.

Just looking at open_at_the_close's flickr page and then seeing they were all taken with a T2i! Man I've got a lot of learning to do. But thanks as well, here I was going to get a big fancy camera when I should be spending my main money on the lens. Thanks for your advice you guys it helps a lot! From just holding a 7D and a T3i in each hand at a store, I can already tell I would enjoy photography a lot more carrying around a Rebel series DSLR than a Intermediate to Pro breed of camera.

So Hot Sauce, you're saying the 35mm F/1.4 lens is better for low light than the 50mm F/1.8?

Also as regards to what you said about Nikon being better than Canon for landscapes, is Nikon still better if I was photographing something like a forest? I live on the West Coast of Canada and there are beautiful forests and beaches everywhere and I go on hikes and nature walks quite often so that's something I'd be photographing quite often too.

Thanks again for answering a beginner's questions.
    Yes, the F/1.4 is better in low light than the F/1.8. It is about 1/2 stop faster and is a better overall quality lens.

Yes again. The Nikon would be better for forests than Canon. Somehow Nikon seems to have a better depth of sharpness throughout an image, especially like landscapes than Canon does. Canon really excels on people. If you are walking through beautiful forest areas, I would definitely choose Nikon. (that is assuming you are comfortable with the menu system and functions.)

I rented the Nikon D600 in December and even though I had a bunch of problems with it and couldn't stand the way the menu and buttons were (because I'm so used to Canon) I still am blown away at the image quality. I bought a Canon 5D Mark III a while ago and have taken a bunch of fantastic photos with it but a photo I took with the Nikon is still the wallpaper on my computer. I haven't shot anything to match it yet.
    A Land of Fantasy.... | Flickr - Photo Sharing!