Page 157 of 158 FirstFirst ... 57107132147154155156157158 LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,355 of 2361

• Minion

Re: The Disneyland Photo of the Day...

Quote Originally Posted by KEBSD View Post
    Please don't let this thread die! I would miss it far too much.
    That is really kind of you to say. Thank you for digging it out of the cobweb infested attic of the internet.

I've been sooooo busy with other things and haven't been able to even think about it but it does feel really good to get my brain thinking in that direction again. I'll see what I can do.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

Always liked looking at your shots.
    Last edited by alphabassetgrrl; 02-17-2014 at 04:23 PM.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

Hot Sauce or anyone else,

how do these tips translate to Disney world? I assume all the outside logic is the same but for indoors and shooting rides are there any fundament changes I would need to be aware of?

Quote Originally Posted by mpabis525 View Post
    Hot Sauce or anyone else,

how do these tips translate to Disney world? I assume all the outside logic is the same but for indoors and shooting rides are there any fundament changes I would need to be aware of?
    I can speak from experience when I say the tips in this thread can be applied equally at Walt Disney World, you may have to make some slight adjustments for lighting, but the tips for shooting dark rides, outside, and live entertainment apply everywhere as a guideline and then you make adjustments to fit the specific environment.

• Minion

I agree with JalenJade.
    Most of the tips here are for general photography technique and translate to many other things, including WDW. Photographing a stage show such as Aladdin is the same as any other stage show with that type of theater lighting.

I also want to apologize for being absent for so long. We have been working well over 100 hours a week for a long, long time now and I have only been able to even pop onto Mice Chat for about 5 minutes a week.

I do have some new tutorials planned, one of which will be extremely helpful as we get more into summer and the dreaded May Gray / June Gloom and what it does to night time skies. I think you all know the nuclear orange skies your night time photos get during this time.

I have a pretty simple photoshop tutorial to fix them.

Please bear with me. I swear I really do want to continue this column.

BY THE WAY! There is a new Facebook Group for Disneyland Photographers that has been scheduling photo meets at Disneyland on a monthly basis. We generally plan out what we will be shooting for that meet up and work on expanding everyone's knowledge and fun with photography. The next one is scheduled for April 26th.
    Here is the link to the group page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/DisneyPhotographers/

Hopefully I'll see some of you there.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

• 11 Year Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 1 View Post
    I agree with JalenJade.
    Most of the tips here are for general photography technique and translate to many other things, including WDW. Photographing a stage show such as Aladdin is the same as any other stage show with that type of theater lighting.

I also want to apologize for being absent for so long. We have been working well over 100 hours a week for a long, long time now and I have only been able to even pop onto Mice Chat for about 5 minutes a week.

I do have some new tutorials planned, one of which will be extremely helpful as we get more into summer and the dreaded May Gray / June Gloom and what it does to night time skies. I think you all know the nuclear orange skies your night time photos get during this time.

I have a pretty simple photoshop tutorial to fix them.

Please bear with me. I swear I really do want to continue this column.

BY THE WAY! There is a new Facebook Group for Disneyland Photographers that has been scheduling photo meets at Disneyland on a monthly basis. We generally plan out what we will be shooting for that meet up and work on expanding everyone's knowledge and fun with photography. The next one is scheduled for April 26th.
    Here is the link to the group page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/DisneyPhotographers/

Hopefully I'll see some of you there.
    I just joined the group page! Hopefully I can make it to an upcoming meet. Can't wait to see what you have in store for this thread!

^Art by me!
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 4.19.15}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 20

Thanks for the link to the FB group! I'll have to keep an eye on it, see if I can meet up one of these days. I don't have my pass anymore, but I do want a day at the park soon, before the summer rush and when my own work goes crazy.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Glad to hear that I can use my cheat sheet of tips on our trip to WDW. I just hope I will get a chance to take some good pics.

Michael,

no no worries about not being able to update frequently. We still appreciate all that you have done. On a side note I now remember I need to order some more hot sauce. That stuff is like crack.

Mike - so where's that May Grey/June Gloom tutorial?! It's almost May!

I think I speak for everyone when I say the only reasonable thing for you to do is quit your job so you can update this thread more regularly.

Just kidding...but seriously, where's that post?

Just a question for all the experts out there on this thread. Heading out to WDW in a few weeks and will be filling up the memory cards of the family at Mickey's East Coast home.

Being that it is Florida and will rain, what do I need to do to protect my backpack and camera around my neck if it suddenly rains? What happens if it gets some moisture? I am sure someone has experienced this at Disneyland so advice would help.

I was going to bring my lenses for the trip. I imagine I will use the 35 1.8 for most that way I don't have to swap lenses too many times. However I will be using my 55-300 too. For those who have been there, is one better than the other for general shots?

With luck I will bring back some nice pics that I will have finally been able to test out the years of tips from everyone on this thread.

A question for dark ride photography with a Nikon d5100. I will stick to the settings got sauce has laid out but I have a question on using auto ISO and how the shutter speed will react.

By setting the ISO to a max of 3200 with auto ISO sensitivity with a 1.8 50mm lens, how will the shutter speed adjust? I have noticed that when I try to take pictures In the dark at my kids performances that it will almost always stick to the minimum shutter speed when on auto ISO. However, Hot Sauce's tutorials show a shutter speed that fluctuates. What do I need to do on a dark ride to shoot on auto ISO so that I don't get stuck with all 1/30 pictures?

Thanks.

I figured I'd contribute to this thread a little more. I had a horrible setting issue during my recent trip but I got two pictures which I really like:

Name:  14492621616_9762366106_m_d.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  18.1 KB
    https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3883/...aa9463_o_d.jpg

Name:  14515721815_04d32091bb_m_d.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  23.4 KB
    https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5194/...ba76e9_o_d.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mpabis525 View Post
    A question for dark ride photography with a Nikon d5100. I will stick to the settings got sauce has laid out but I have a question on using auto ISO and how the shutter speed will react. By setting the ISO to a max of 3200 with auto ISO sensitivity with a 1.8 50mm lens, how will the shutter speed adjust? I have noticed that when I try to take pictures In the dark at my kids performances that it will almost always stick to the minimum shutter speed when on auto ISO. However, Hot Sauce's tutorials show a shutter speed that fluctuates. What do I need to do on a dark ride to shoot on auto ISO so that I don't get stuck with all 1/30 pictures? Thanks.
    It appears HotSauce has abandoned this thread which is unfortunate for those of us who were following it. He was a wealth of information and I enjoyed his HDR photos.

As to your question you either set your ISO manually to whatever setting you want or set it to Auto ISO. If you set your main mode to Auto the camera will take care of all the settings doing the best it can to get a properly exposed shot. You have no control over shutter speed, aperture, or ISO. If you set your camera to Aperture priority and Auto ISO you have control over the aperture setting but no control over the ISO or shutter speed. If you set your camera to Shutter priority and Auto ISO you have control over your shutter speed but no control over aperture or ISO. So if you are primarily concerned about shutter speed then use Shutter priority and Auto ISO. In a dark ride scenario you can set your shutter speed to whatever you feel is necessary to not get a blurred picture. 60 is good if you are relatively steady and your lens has image stabilization but you might have to increase shudder speed depending upon the situation. When using your 1.8 lens in shutter priority mode your camera will probably select 1.8 aperture and a high ISO which can lead to noise. Personally I would use Shutter priority and set the ISO manually to the highest setting that you can keeping in mind your tolerance for noise. One other thing is when using a 1.8 aperture your depth of field will be reduced so depending on the ride only your main point of focus may be sharp and the foreground and/or background less sharp. Best to experiment around your house with various low light situations similar to what you will encounter on a dark ride. You might also consider getting the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.

I'd use shutter-priority, too, or manual. You can let the ISO float with either setting. The good thing about an f/1.8 lens is that it can "see" to focus better than a lens with a smaller aperture. Good luck! Dark rides are fun to shoot. Oh, and you might want to check that your focus-assist light is off for dark rides. It shoots a beam of light to help it focus, but that beam can be distracting.

What's everyone's take on using burst mode in dark rides?